Been a while, have a question.

• schild wrote:

It's neat that Cory is going to enter the realm of legendary online game visionaries and brilliant minds like

Brad McQuaid
      Paul Barnett
      Curt Schilling

We're all super proud.

The internet never forgets, HXE.

Ossuary wrote:

Frankly those names still provoke too much of a sense of the visionary aside from their notoriety. I still say he puts off more of a Molyneux / Sean Murray vibe these days. You know... empty promises and lies packaged as pure, unadulterated hype.
      The second take. The first take gives him too much credit.
    • Metronomy wrote:

The continued silence in itself is speaking very loudly. It seems far more likely they are silent cause there isnt any good news at all to tell rather than that they are silent because they dont want to endanger a possible buyout. Make no mistake about it. Any possible buyer closely watches player numbers and the mood among the playerbase. If HXE had any good news they would talk to us
      Not sure I agree. I think it's entirely possible that we - the community - are holding them in the corner they painted themselves into. Anything they say (short of "Everything you ever wanted is now in the game.") would be met with a thunderous community response. For every one or two positive things they announce, there would be a dozen "what about"s and "how come"s, all asked with great intensity.

Don't get me wrong - I am firmly in the camp of "they did this to themselves." If the lines of communication had remained open, they would be able to announce small, positive things without getting shouted down. That they can not is entirely their own fault. I'm not saying they're right for being this way, I'm just suggesting they may feel it's best to say nothing and let whatever fruits speak for themselves. That's my glass-half-full take.

Alternatively they could just be cowards unwilling to face the sword that comes with announcing a shuttering. What do I know.
    • Pandaemonium wrote:

Barnett was a hype man and a good one. However, warhammer was a game that had a resemblance of what was pitched. Hex pve does not have that.
      Warhammer was a game that was 1/3rd complete, and the rest was cut and paste. Overpromised, underdelivered. The base was near perfect, much like Hex. Everything else was garbage. I COULD blame Jacobs here, but I blame Barnett more.

McQuaid was all vision no delivery. Also, a dumpster fire of a human, but that's another story.

Curt Schilling was zero vision, all talk, no delivery. Also, a thief and the worst kind of political disaster. Two dumpster fires of a human. Three, if you count his ego. Which you should, because holy hell.

-

As for the others, since I'm at a computer I'll respond to them comprehensively. For all of Molyneux's faults, he was at least predictable, and he tried. He has a batting average of .500. He's not the worst designer/visionary ever, and nowhere near the best. He's just... well, full of himself. He dreamed big, but didn't have wings to get anywhere near the sun.

Sean Murray was just a goddamned liar. But at least he had a conscience - and the funding to get there, eventually. Maybe. One day soon? Anyway, he's closer than the rest of these guys to greatness. But that's not saying much.

Molyneux and Murray aren't even the same class as the former 3 (4 if you include Cory).

If I were writing the post-mortem for Hex it would be called "They Tried, but How Much Can You Really Achieve When All Your Arms and Legs are Broken?"

Edit: Actually, the title "Literally Do The Opposite of What You Planned, Every Time" would probably be more accurate.
    • NicoSharp wrote:

3 months ago when they laughed on stream about ideas from the forums
      They did? Really? Must've been a dev stream (I didn't watch all of those).
      That's so weird though, considering they carbon-copied people's ideas for about half of the Merry Melee modes.

Ossuary wrote:

Sean Murray vibe
      Except Hello Games strapped their asses to their chairs for a 1 or so years and with 3-4 big updates have now gotten back most of the disappointed players. No Man's Sky is a huge success.

Hidden wrote:

Anything they say (short of "Everything you ever wanted is now in the game.") would be met with a thunderous community response.
      Like how the "A Few Words" article destroyed th... oh wait, community response was almost unanimously positive.
      The community is doing nothing for them. The community is waiting. The only negative thing you can say for the community right now is that we're nto willing to give them charity any more. They must work to earn money, unlike the past.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Vroengard ().

• Ten people yesterday at Fight Night (again!) means that time is more than ended. Nevertheless, today we will see another Merry Melee mode coming back full circle, and another copy-paste article...

I'm still convinced of a Set 10 release somehow in 2018, but kind of scared of it because any set leads to bugs, it's normal. Remember when Pippit Pal transformed you in a troop? Pepperidge Farm remembers. And how are they supposed to fix something like that when they can't put the right gems in "Flashback" drafts?
    • Ossuary wrote:

Frankly those names still provoke too much of a sense of the visionary aside from their notoriety. I still say he puts off more of a Molyneux / Sean Murray vibe these days. You know... empty promises and lies packaged as pure, unadulterated hype.
      Sincerely I wouldn't put Sean Murray on the same list as cory because Hello Games is still doing everything they can to fulfill their initial promise.
      HEX forums resident liker.

The post was edited 1 time, last by ReluxTheRelux: gramar and typo ().

• ReluxTheRelux wrote:

Ossuary wrote:

Sincerely I wouldn't put Sean Murray on the same list as cory because Hellow Games is still doing everything they to fulfill their initial promise.
      This.
    • Metronomy wrote:

Katkilla wrote:

federicorighi wrote:

I'm still convinced of a Set 10 release somehow in 2018
      I personally doubt set 10 is even coded into the game and further doubt that anyone is left to put it into the game.
      Agreed. Which means the name for set 9 was an excellent choice ;) .
      Then at least they've done something right with set 9, even accidentally.

Maybe I'm an optimist, but I think set 10 is (mostly) coded. On the other hand most likely it still has no art, and no proper testing due to lack of resources/manpower.

IF set 10 get ever released, I fear it will break the game even more, as they don't even solve the current bugs, and nobody responds to support tickets. And with HEX, every new set has 1 thing warranted : new bugs.
    • ReluxTheRelux wrote:

Sincerely I wouldn't put Sean Murray on the same list as cory because Hello Games is still doing everything they can to fulfill their initial promise.
      Now, yes. But until very recently, all anyone remembered were the empty promises and outright lies. They put on their big boy pants, sucked it up, and got the fuck back to work. HexEnt needs to do the same, but it seems pretty clear they aren't going to.
      --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
      - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well
    • Ossuary wrote:

Now, yes. But until very recently, all anyone remembered were the empty promises and outright lies. They put on their big boy pants, sucked it up, and got the fuck back to work. HexEnt needs to do the same, but it seems pretty clear they aren't going to.
      Ya, but I feel like he's earned his removal from the list at this point ;)
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Slightly off topic:
      I keep thinking about No Man's Sky and it helps me keep hope that Hex comes through. Then I thought about all the games that get shuttered. Specifically, I'm reminded of City of Heroes. That game had a very loyal core following, but the development team couldn't steer the ship well enough and the non-hardcores fell off. When the game shuttered there were tons of upset (and still active) players. What followed was a series of lawsuits, threats, and C&Ds to the many "spiritual successors" that popped up each year.

I hope Hex doesn't end the same way. It's been years since CoH closed and the first successor to make it through The Gauntlet is only just now entering alpha. And from what little I've seen, it doesn't have me hyped. Admittedly, I don't follow it closely, but you get my point - I don't want to wait ten years for a subpar replacement.