Weekend Door Prizes August 11-August 12

• 5 players in Bash this Sunday and 11 on Saturday. This the premier constructed weekly tournament. Next step 1 player like singles night? Shouldn’t some thought be made at this point to address the diminishing and diminutive numbers of your constructed scene and at least address the players concerns? Because business as usual ... we know where that leads.
    • CoSVII wrote:

5 players in Bash this Sunday and 11 on Saturday. This the premier constructed weekly tournament. Next step 1 player like singles night? Shouldn’t some thought be made at this point to address the diminishing and diminutive numbers of your constructed scene and at least address the players concerns? Because business as usual ... we know where that leads.
      Dont you know how hex works? They do the same thing over and over again because one day the strategy will be successful. Forum posters are cry babies and do not know what they are talking about and just want doom and gloom.
    • Pandaemonium wrote:

CoSVII wrote:

5 players in Bash this Sunday and 11 on Saturday. This the premier constructed weekly tournament. Next step 1 player like singles night? Shouldn’t some thought be made at this point to address the diminishing and diminutive numbers of your constructed scene and at least address the players concerns? Because business as usual ... we know where that leads.
      Dont you know how hex works? They do the same thing over and over again because one day the strategy will be successful. Forum posters are cry babies and do not know what they are talking about and just want doom and gloom.
      Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?

(Vaas was the shit)
    • Ertzi wrote:

Pandaemonium wrote:

CoSVII wrote:

Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?
      (Vaas was the shit)

Knowing nothing else about the character, I would immediately start with a negative opinion of them for propagating that poor, pop definition.

• CoSVII wrote:

If you did not understand their strategy yet well let me explain

1- push your usebase away slowly but surely
      2- When there is almost no one there, close the game saying well there is just not enough people playing.

It makes a lot less noise when you close a game when there is 100 people left then when there is 3000.

When it will close, most people will have already jump ship.
    • My copy of the Yale Book of Quotations has Rita Mae Brown saying it in her 1983 book, Sudden Death, but Quote Investigator puts a version of it as being from an Narcotics Anonymous pamphlet from 1981. I'm willing to buy the QI origin, I just don't know much about the website. My copy of the YBQ is 2006, so maybe I should get a newer one soon. Such a good book. I'm willing to believe also that NA created the modern iteration of the saying and Brown popularized it.

Interestingly, Google's ngram shows it basically popping up around 1979-1981 (which very well looks to predate the NA pamphlet) and then spiking in the mid-80s.

Regardless, is it very much not the definition but, instead, a once clever phrased that is now overused and passed off as either truth or as a way to chastise someone's behavior. The former is deceptive and the latter is problematic.
    • True as that may be, Zubrin, back onto the actual (off) topic, if you never played Far Cry 3, you should at the very least watch the live action promo videos Ubisoft put out for it. Michael Mando was practically unknown at the time, although technically he was already on the rise, but that role absolutely cemented him as a future superstar. If you don't know who that is, he had a major role on Orphan Black, as well as currently the role of "Nacho" on Better Call Saul.

He's one of my favorite character actors of the last 10 years, hands down. Whether you like the overused "definition of insanity" quote or not (I also find it a bit tiresome and loved the XKCD comic ribbing on it), Mando's performance of Vaas in FC3 was both spectacular and chilling. He absolutely stole the show, especially compared to the usual generic cookie cutter characters you get in the majority of modern open world games.
      --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
      - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well
    • Looks like it was a great game for its time. 2012 was the start of my tenure track job, so there was little chance I would be going to far out of my typical genres to try something new and I think I played less then. The next year was the hex kickstarter, and hex became life.

If it came out now, I probably still wouldn't pick it up. Looks good, but probably isn't for me right now either.
    • Any open world game is a big time commitment. An older one is definitely going to be hard to justify. That said, you should still do yourself a favor and check out the live action promo videos for it on YouTube. It's only 30-45 minutes' worth of material, and it's well worth the time even if you don't play the game. Again, Michael Mando is just the fucking best. :)
      --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
      - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well
    • CoSVII wrote:

Official: Yes, erm.......we dgaf.

Ossuary wrote:

True as that may be, Zubrin, back onto the actual (off) topic, if you never played Far Cry 3, you should at the very least watch the live action promo videos Ubisoft put out for it. Michael Mando was practically unknown at the time, although technically he was already on the rise, but that role absolutely cemented him as a future superstar. If you don't know who that is, he had a major role on Orphan Black, as well as currently the role of "Nacho" on Better Call Saul.

He's one of my favorite character actors of the last 10 years, hands down. Whether you like the overused "definition of insanity" quote or not (I also find it a bit tiresome and loved the XKCD comic ribbing on it), Mando's performance of Vaas in FC3 was both spectacular and chilling. He absolutely stole the show, especially compared to the usual generic cookie cutter characters you get in the majority of modern open world games.
      To be fair, Michael Mando is just an actor who is not given a chance to shine, so him keep on doing his thing really isn't insanity. Same as Jeremy Lin, he doesn't shine immediately in NBA because he has no chance to do so...wait, his nickname is Linsanity? Okay, maybe he is truly insane.

Hex is given a gazillion chances to shine but fail to. A better comparison would be a talent that you can see is getting pushed everywhere but sucks ass so he/she eventually fallen from grace...except Hex isn't really pushed, since its agent is horrible in advertising.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Goliathus ().

• CoSVII wrote:

Well, that will be the real singles night! Just one player alone...

HEX wrote:

We hope you all enjoyed this tournament-fueled weekend as much as we did.
      Oh, the irony...