Some insight to getting back more players

• Some insight to getting back more players

Recently hex has been getting really boring for me. Activity has been really low on the servers and too many good players have stopped playing. Playing in the ladder or tourney’s when the player there are so few online players is not stimulating. Anyway here is some feedback on what is good and what is not.

1. The constructed format is at its most boring ever. Doombringer meta has resulted in an exceptionally aggro meta without much room for player skill. When a ruby wild deck that uses communion of wax to play surging wild flame dominates you have problems. I’d recommend design a set that results in decent midrange decks.

2. The limited environment is also slightly problematic. Only 3 or 4 shard decks seem to work and color fixing becomes the decider very early in the game.

3. Siege mode. Whilst fun, attacking pve decks with a standard deck is not the best idea. After I got my battle board, aa lands etc I can’t see why i’d play. Maybe add more stuff buyable
      with siege coins.

4. Cosmic coins were good. Also add more purchasable items.
    • At this point they should rename "Feedback and suggestions" to "dreams"

sindharin wrote:

Recently hex has been getting really boring for me. Activity has been really low on the servers and too many good players have stopped playing. Playing in the ladder or tourney’s when the player there are so few online players is not stimulating. Anyway here is some feedback on what is good and what is not.

1. The constructed format is at its most boring ever. Doombringer meta has resulted in an exceptionally aggro meta without much room for player skill. When a ruby wild deck that uses communion of wax to play surging wild flame dominates you have problems. I’d recommend design a set that results in decent midrange decks.

2. The limited environment is also slightly problematic. Only 3 or 4 shard decks seem to work and color fixing becomes the decider very early in the game.

3. Siege mode. Whilst fun, attacking pve decks with a standard deck is not the best idea. After I got my battle board, aa lands etc I can’t see why i’d play. Maybe add more stuff buyable
      with siege coins.

4. Cosmic coins were good. Also add more purchasable items.
      Uhm...

1. Do you really recommending to design a new set with a particular focus ?? Since set 10 is supposedly already designed, a set 11 with the previously usual 4-5 month turnout exactly how would help on the current constructed scene? (if it's really problematic, what I can't tell) Also, have you recognized, what happened with set 10 ?

2. "slightly proplematic" aka nonexistent. Almost 0 drafts fire, and many times you can't even find an opponent for EVO. Maybe there is more to be done than additional color fixing. By some reports they also removed a rare from EVO, I guess because still too many people (more than 0) played the mode...

3. ok, this makes sense if you enjoy Siege. Still, see next point.

4. No free resources to do this, as nobody working on he game. Since even their main income generator (new PVP set) could not get the funding for art, I highly doubt that they add more things to purchase for cosmic coins.
    • To get players back, there's almost no way to get them back unless they release new content old players are willing to come back and try also attracting new players at the same time.

I am just going to be one of those people who gives negative feedback that is probably not constructive. Also this is the wrong post for what I am about to say.

The main issue that caused such a major loss in profit is they gave way too much each week through community streams. Each stream gives 2 evo sealed gauntlets or a load of free stuff. They were just being generous but I feel like it was their main downfall when it comes to getting some income. Too much free stuff no one will buy stuff on top of that players can already grind for gold to buy common and uncommon cards.

Second issue they have way too many PvP game modes splitting up the community even more than it should. Evo Sealed, Sealed Gaintlet and Draft Gauntlet. In my opinion Evo Sealed should have been the only limited PvP mode. The Draft Gauntlet be a weekend mode so only Friday, Saturday and Sunday which is when most people have free time. They made progress by removing immortal gauntlet but way too late.

Can't think of any other issues at the time of this posting but those are the main two.
    • Honestly, I don't see any way back for me. Maybe surprise co-op, but that will never happen. I have lost all goodwill and trust towards Cory and HexEnt, and that is a nigh impossible mountain to climb. I'm a loyal customer, but if you backstab me, I will take my money and go elsewhere. I play other card games now, all of which are inferior to HEX, but what the fuck can you do when the developers let your favorite game die. I really hope the example of HEX will live on in the gaming industry. This is not how you create success.
    • Tjun wrote:

To get players back, there's almost no way to get them back unless they release new content old players are willing to come back and try also attracting new players at the same time.

I am just going to be one of those people who gives negative feedback that is probably not constructive. Also this is the wrong post for what I am about to say.

The main issue that caused such a major loss in profit is they gave way too much each week through community streams. Each stream gives 2 evo sealed gauntlets or a load of free stuff. They were just being generous but I feel like it was their main downfall when it comes to getting some income. Too much free stuff no one will buy stuff on top of that players can already grind for gold to buy common and uncommon cards.

Second issue they have way too many PvP game modes splitting up the community even more than it should. Evo Sealed, Sealed Gaintlet and Draft Gauntlet. In my opinion Evo Sealed should have been the only limited PvP mode. The Draft Gauntlet be a weekend mode so only Friday, Saturday and Sunday which is when most people have free time. They made progress by removing immortal gauntlet but way too late.

Can't think of any other issues at the time of this posting but those are the main two.
      There is a strategy that give a lot of stuffs at first but for that strategy to work, one has to plan how to eventually get those loss back into profit. Those generosity are there to attract customers, but Hex Ent simply has no idea how to do proper advertisement.

For reference, Grab is an "Uber" company in South East Asia, formed in 2012. No one gives a F about it by then. Uber then came into the fray and dominate said market around the world. Grab then used the opportunity to show they world they exist. They are ridiculously generous, so generous that they are operating at a loss for the first few years but they know what they are doing, so much that they eventually dominated the regional market and monopolized the industry. They got so good that Uber SEA has no choice but to merge with them and now they are the sole company. They are still very generous now because they know it works in SEA, people are usually frugal in countries with below average economy, and they used that to their advantage. They now have a new service called GrabPay which is like a digital wallet and to encourage the use of it, they discount GrabCar on a ridiculous rate, like any trip below 30 bucks are 1 buck with GrabPay. That is insane value and they are expected to loss at first to make sure people use their service.

They also advertise like a boss and co-operate with the locale travel industry. The first huge signboard you see outside the Kuala Lumpur airport is Grab. They also give you discount on train ticket and free Grab ride to hotel with GrabPay. So on and so forth.

On the other hand, Hex is stupidly generous in a dumb way. Just give more and more and have no plan on how to attract customers. VIP, something you can't win and can't pay with in-game Plat, offers garbage bonuses. VIP is a fixed way to earn money, yet they screwed it so hard. They also have done near zero advertisement and doesn't even make the game good enough bug-wise to advertise. They also don't research the gaming climate whatsoever. That is not a good way to do business. There is a reason all the entertainment industry, be it Hollywood or Bollywood, have statistic team and all the metrics and shit. Hex Ent is so old-school and out of touch that they think Japan is all hardcore when even local industry there like Konami have gone mobile. They also didn't research release date and what not for PS4 release. Noxious(YTer)'s video about Hex and MTG players stream have more impact on getting Hex's name out than the official's plan and execution. Like really, if not for the dedication of the players, this dream would have been killed faster than Puck.