Searching for Insight From Hex Community

• Searching for Insight From Hex Community

DetectiveHexCrux wrote:

Whaddup Hex Community(What's Left of It)!

It seems that there is still a few forum lurkers left, so I thought I might take the opportunity, before the lights go out on HexEnt, and attempt to harvest a bit more wisdom from the dwindling Hex playerbase.

My question: why not sell Hex:Shards of Fate to an interested buyer(if there is one) who gives a damn about thoroughly trying to revive, what I believe, to be an amazing game with a copious amount of untapped potential? From my perspective, Hex offers superlative gameplay(strategy, decision-making, profound mechanics, enthralling battles, beautiful aesthetics, etc.), a magnificent(best I've ever played) campaign mode worth hours upon hours of playtime, interesting and challenging PVP modes(evo guantlet and draft modes), and a damn-near paragon of card artistry - so why not sell this outstanding game to an interested party who recognizes it as the unassailable GEM that it clearly is?! If HexEnt is exhausted, disinterested, apathetic, nihilistic, bored, acrimonious, or just plain fatalistic at this point, why not pass the baton on to others with fresh vigor and unseasoned vision?

Yes, I know that I will inevitably be forced to move on if HexEnt continues down this sad, self-destructive path, but HexEnt's baffling decision to throw Hex away like this is still maddeningly perplexing and I'd like to gain some insight from you guys as to the possible "why?". Obviously this is a profound question best directly addressed towards HexEnt, but as we all know by now, beguiling ghosts now steer the HexEnt vessel and it seems the only mode of communication with them would be some sort of surreptitious telepathy or perpetual, clandestine astral projection into HexEnt headquarters.

In conclusion, I don't possess all the knowledge in the world, and hearing from you guys(who give a fu**) is viable to me, so please, I'll take all the enlightenment that I can get.

Thank you for your time!
      Oops, accidentally placed the above thread under the wrong subject - dur dur duuuuuuurrrrrr! XD
    • Best guess from me is that the codework that's already been done is not viable to continue forward, so it's a substantially harder sell than just 'Here's a great product that needs funding.'
      Old username: Aradon | Collector backer | Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulean Acadamy" -- Taking applications once guilds are implemented
    • DetectiveHexCrux wrote:

why not sell Hex:Shards of Fate to an interested buyer(if there is one) who gives a damn about thoroughly trying to revive, what I believe, to be an amazing game with a copious amount of untapped potential?
      How the fuck would we know the answer to this??? It's been 36 days since HXE said anything on the matter.

1) They're still looking OR
      2) They never looked because of i/pride OR ii/legal reasons OR iii/the game's not doing as bad as we think (now that it's devolved into a low-effort coin arcade, 1$ = 1 Merry Mellee run) OR
      3) Literally no one wants to buy
    • Hey guys!

Thank you for the answers so far.

Vroengard wrote:

How the fuck would we know the answer to this??? It's been 36 days since HXE said anything on the matter.
      Vroengard - I understand that you are frustrated, as most of us are, but I was just looking for some possible speculation without the frustration being unloaded on me. :D Like I said before, I don't possess ALL the information out there, so I was simply willing to ask and learn. My outreach on the forums spawns from a rather passionate desire to not witness this game go under; it's worth that much to me. :D Anyways, hope you have a good one, Vroengard. Anyone else that cares to reply to my thread, I'm just asking to learn, so please be considerate of that. Thanks
    • To sell a 5 year old company that was never profitable is a hard sell. Maybe Hex is trying to make one profitable quarter (by brutally slashing costs) to be as little as considered for an acquisition. It is not my area of expertise though.
      There is also an underlying assumption that Hex behaves rationally, which might not be the case.
    • They ARE trying to sell.
      I agree with your assessment of the game. Hex is the best digital ccg on the market.

But that alone actually isnt enough. For a potential buyer it is all about the numbers.
      And those dont look good. Player numbers just are terrible. And I say this without debating the reasons for why that is.
      It is just that it is extremely hard to revitalize the player numbers from this point on. The game is "old" and new competetitors are on the horizon (mtga and artifact). It would need some serious monetary investment and a team with great skill and good decision making from the top to even have a chance to make the game profitable. That makes it unlikely to find a buyer and even more unlikely to find a buyer who actually is able to stem the tide.
    • Waddup Community!

I have learned a copious amount from the kind and elucidating responses, and I am thoroughly grateful to everyone for that. Business activities are occupations that I am uneducated in, but my scope has now gained more area of vision to why things may be occurring the way they are for HexEnt and for us.

Vroengard: Yes, you did provide ample speculation - thank you for that. I was only hoping that you weren't frustrated with me for having the courage to ask the difficult question. I don't know you and you don't know me, so merely trying to keep the situation neutral. Nuthin' but luv for ya, brah. Hope to have further discussions with you in the forum's future(if we receive the chance to have one ;D).

Until next time, props to all who are fighting the good fight for Hex:Shards of Fate!
    • DetectiveHexCrux wrote:

Vroengard: Yes, you did provide ample speculation - thank you for that. I was only hoping that you weren't frustrated with me for having the courage to ask the difficult question.
      Are you the guy that posted Give it an honest thought... and Scenario 2 on Reddit? I'm asking becuase those two posts and this thread have a lot in common. In any case, if you are, you know that I don't mind answering such questions in depth, as I've posted answers on both of those (my reddit flair has my ingame and forum game).
    • Vroengard wrote:

DetectiveHexCrux wrote:

Vroengard: Yes, you did provide ample speculation - thank you for that. I was only hoping that you weren't frustrated with me for having the courage to ask the difficult question.
      Are you the guy that posted Give it an honest thought... and Scenario 2 on Reddit? I'm asking becuase those two posts and this thread have a lot in common. In any case, if you are, you know that I don't mind answering such questions in depth, as I've posted answers on both of those (my reddit flair has my ingame and forum game).
      Bit late to the party, but I'm the one that posted those.

To the op's question:
      I imagine that at some point the asking price will be at a point where someone feels it's a good enough value to buy. The fact that they haven't found a buyer - I would assume - must mean they're asking too much.
    • Who would buy this game? I cant think of anyone tbh. Gameforge cut this game loose and maybe they would buy the game, I doubt it. If you had money, why would you buy a game with suspect code and extremely poor goodwill? A more likely possibility is crypto becomes the publisher and farms hex out to a very small company and the two companies share revenue.
    • Pandaemonium wrote:

Who would buy this game? I cant think of anyone tbh. Gameforge cut this game loose and maybe they would buy the game, I doubt it. If you had money, why would you buy a game with suspect code and extremely poor goodwill? A more likely possibility is crypto becomes the publisher and farms hex out to a very small company and the two companies share revenue.
      Hex can't find an investor 5 years ago so they tried Kickstarter. The success rate of them finding an investor now is as close to zero as the chance of a meteor coming down at exactly my house.
    • Katkilla wrote:

Whomever buys the game is already in debt. It's not like an investment that will eventually pay for itself. It's a gamble and probably a bad one. There might be some value for the artwork, but continuing the game without some major effort seems unlikely.
      Most business purchases are bought with outstanding debt. That's part of the "cost" of purchasing it.