Hex is the best.

• Complaining lets people know what you are thinking and makes people (including other gamers) aware of the problems. If I think hex is going to shut down soon and the latest updates are cash grabs I am going to tell people. Being quite and letting them be a bad company is something I am not going to do.
    • I don't understand why HXE trying copy mtgo economic but don't 1:1.
      Why free plat, free packs, collectors decks not for cash, etc.?
      Why HEX account for free? Not 10$ as mtgo.
      Premium model is terrible.
      HXE don't need money?
      And finally signed decks for plat. Why not cash? HXE kill collectors trust and don't got money. Great!
      Who need signed decks? I think new players, but I thing a mass of signed decks was buying players for free. (who have tons of plat)
    • MtgCollector wrote:

I don't understand why HXE trying copy mtgo economic but don't 1:1.
      Why free plat, free packs, collectors decks not for cash, etc.?
      Premium model is terrible.
      HXE don't need money?
      And finally signed decks for plat. Why not cash? HXE kill collectors trust and don't got money. Great!
      Who need signed decks? I think new players, but I thing a mass of signed decks was buying players for free. (who have tons of plat)
      Same as why many CCGs out there give tremendous reward and have a better economy than Hearthstone -- they need it to survive and thrive. HS and MTGO are big names, you play it, you don't play it, they don't f---ing care, they have enough potential customers anyway. Other CCGs starting from scratch have to be generous to pull in their first group of players.

HXE doing this to break into the scene is fine, they just don't follow it up with outward advertisement and they also spend their budget like idiots. Those are the real issues.
    • MtgCollector wrote:

Why free plat
      Every card game gives away currency as reward. IN RETOSPECT, perhaps Hex should've been rewarding Gold instead of Platinum. That'd 1) kept the player economy more active and 2) encourage more people to post stuff for Gold

MtgCollector wrote:

free packs
      Every game does that, from HS to MTGA.

MtgCollector wrote:

collectors decks not for cash
      We did have collectors' decks. Multiple of them. Is your problem that they weren't enough? Are you talking about standard preconstructed decks? Or is your main issue the fact that they cost platinum instead of US$? I guess it does fit with your 1st issue raised. If there wasn't so much platinum given away from the system, would you still have a problem with collectors' decks?

MtgCollector wrote:

Literally retarded. Modern games MUST BE F2P and make money elsewhere. If you charge people to start a game, then you must do a combination of the following: (1) Have a finished game, (2) Offer them lifelong value, (3) Not ask for more money to do stuff like, I dunno, PLAY IN TOURNAMENTS. So, it's either 10$ at registration or 5$ per draft. Which is more value?

MtgCollector wrote:

And finally signed decks for plat. Why not cash? HXE kill collectors trust and don't got money.
      Again, I'm *guessing* your real problem is the fact that there's too much platinum being given by the system, as you mentioned in (1) above. However, this is a TRADING card game, with players trading not only cards but also currency. Shouldn't it allow for players to farm enough (time) to trade currency (money) and then spend said currency for a collector's deck? If you say "Yea, this is a TCG, but you can only get X, Y, Z for real money" you're basically shitting on the people playing the game the most (and also may be called out for false advertisement, as the game's not entirely trading).

THAT IS 10000% TRUE FOR PRECONSTRUCTED STANDARD DECKS (which I don't know why you keep calling signed decks. Is this how they're called in other games?). It is very bad marketing to put limitation as to how NEW PLAYERS (which is who you want to please the most) can acquire decks. EVEN MORE SO when said decks will only last them for 8 months, until a Standard Rotation happens and you ask them to buy the new ones.
    • AceBladewing wrote:

Yep, plat should come from NOWHERE but the store for cash. But, what's missing to enable this is a built in way for players to sell gold for plat and vice versa.
      So if cash prizes are too expensive/legally difficult to do(both are likely part of the problem), you'd rather they simply not have tournaments? Or give the winner 200 packs they then have to struggle to liquidate, making winning a tournament more frustrating than anything and completely destroying the pack market? Or what?
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Eraia wrote:

So if cash prizes are too expensive/legally difficult to do(both are likely part of the problem), you'd rather they simply not have tournaments?
      Their problem is, apparently, that Hex tournaments gave away premium currency. Instead it could be giving: freemium currency (Gold), packs, cards (regular, AA, AAA).
      I don't know if I agree, but it's a thought.
    • Eraia wrote:

AceBladewing wrote:

Yep, plat should come from NOWHERE but the store for cash. But, what's missing to enable this is a built in way for players to sell gold for plat and vice versa.
      So if cash prizes are too expensive/legally difficult to do(both are likely part of the problem), you'd rather they simply not have tournaments? Or give the winner 200 packs they then have to struggle to liquidate, making winning a tournament more frustrating than anything and completely destroying the pack market? Or what?
      There are plenty of prizes that can be given other than just packs. And, obviously, your example of 200 packs is asinine.
    • Like I said before, I believe hex is a really great game and I've really enjoyed playing it so far. The fun for me is playing challenging games against good players. With so many good players having stopped playing, playing constructed isn't any fun at all. I'll go as far as to say that playing siege or FRA is currently more interesting than constructed which is a problem (its not like bashing the AI is fun).

I've always believed that the mainstay of any TCG is being able to maintain a stable constructed environment. This is what retains a stable player base. PVE might be a good way to bring in new players but if they can't be transitioned to pvp then it is a waste of time. I also think listening to players who simply try a game for a month or two and move on is an absolute recipe for disaster. These sorts of people move from one fad or fashion to another and making design and development decisions around them cannot possibly make sense. Surely with limited resources focus has to be key.
    • sindharin wrote:

I've always believed that the mainstay of any TCG is being able to maintain a stable constructed environment. This is what retains a stable player base. PVE might be a good way to bring in new players but if they can't be transitioned to pvp then it is a waste of time. I also think listening to players who simply try a game for a month or two and move on is an absolute recipe for disaster. These sorts of people move from one fad or fashion to another and making design and development decisions around them cannot possibly make sense. Surely with limited resources focus has to be key.
      I can't disagree with your beliefs more.
    • sindharin wrote:

PVE might be a good way to bring in new players but if they can't be transitioned to pvp then it is a waste of time.
      Wrong because (1) the casual crowd is bigger than the hardcore crowd, (2) the casual crowd prefers single-player vs AI to PvP, (3) the casual "single-player vs AI"-prefering crowd still pays. Therefore, PvE can be a revenue generator.

If you have 20 people PvP'ing and paying 100$ a month and 100 people PvE'ing and paying 20$ a month, that's the same value to the company. Each contributes different things.
    • AceBladewing wrote:

There are plenty of prizes that can be given other than just packs. And, obviously, your example of 200 packs is asinine.
      200 packs at 1 dollar a piece is 200 dollars. They gave away much bigger prizes than that. So if we set the idea that they can't give away platinum, and they're not able to afford(whether it be legal reasons, or simple budget) to do cash prizes, AAA cards aren't going to be enough to make the tournament feel special. Nor are any other cosmetics they might do, to be honest. So we're basically saying either direct singles... gold... or packs. If we give gold or packs, the problem is the same - the quantity of it needs to be high enough to be enticing, but a prize that high given away regularly also creates a situation where the prize itself diminishes its own value by inflation.

sindharin wrote:

PVE might be a good way to bring in new players but if they can't be transitioned to pvp then it is a waste of time
      So you're saying the LoL player who plays only bot games(coop vs ai - so basically pve) but has purchased every champion AND every skin... he's a waste of resources? He's spent more money on LoL than even the biggest whale in Hex, most likely. And yes, he exists.

You may not be able to accept it, but there are people out there who are not interested in pvp gameplay, who also have a lot of money they're willing to spend on gaming. And, additionally, there are a LOT of people out there who like playing fun pve games who are willing to spend a LITTLE money on it. Almost the entire mobile gaming market is built off of this assumption. That's not to say pvp isn't important, it is. But you're 100% wrong if you feel that the only way to earn money is by pvp. Hex just did the whole 'monetizing pve' thing 100% incorrect. They tried to sell cosmetics at too high of a cost, didn't offer interesting cosmetics, and refused to monetize the types of things people would spend little bits of money on here and there in pve.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

• Come up with whatever rationale you want, but MTGO doesn't give out event tickets as prizes for a reason. MTGO tickets are the equivalent of Hex platinum. And they get by with primarily booster packs as prizes. I think you'll find it hard to argue against a model that is working for a proven successful online digital TCG.
    • AceBladewing wrote:

Come up with whatever rationale you want, but MTGO doesn't give out event tickets as prizes for a reason. MTGO tickets are the equivalent of Hex platinum. And they get by with primarily booster packs as prizes. I think you'll find it hard to argue against a model that is working for a proven successful online digital TCG.
      Companies that already have a huge market can get away with a lot that others can't. Many MMORPGs, MOBAs, Arena Shooters, FPS, etc. have failed following your above logic. The logic that 'well it works for the big guys so it'll work for us' has caused the ddeath of many games.

• AceBladewing wrote:

Come up with whatever rationale you want, but MTGO doesn't give out event tickets as prizes for a reason. MTGO tickets are the equivalent of Hex platinum. And they get by with primarily booster packs as prizes. I think you'll find it hard to argue against a model that is working for a proven successful online digital TCG.
      No one is arguing that MTGO model doesn't work. But there are more successful models than one. You are just using one successful TCG(which I can argue can be much more successful than now, like seriously, how many players are on MO compared to the millions of Magic players out there?) as a reference and then deny everything else. Personally, I think that is very narrow-minded. I also feel like MA might surpass MO in revenue eventually. Accessibility is a huge in this time and age. And f***, I don't even like MA, it's too casual(Removing BO3 event soon? WTF is this horsecrap?) but apparently casual earns you cash these days.

Hex has always been more than MTGO, you can't play campaign in MTGO thus you don't just copy the whole MTGO system and be done with it. PVE can be a cash cow, especially with one on Hex's initial scale. Also, WotC has always been stingy as f***, so to hell with their prizes.
    • on MTGA arena you can play free, earn gold play construct with gold then do draft with gold and earn prenium currency, do competitive draft with prenium currency earn more.

In eternal you gain many card for free, in mtga you can. But in this both game i fight only complete full competitive deck. Don't force people to spend money and they spend more money :D. Try scam player and they leave :)
    • Eraia wrote:

AceBladewing wrote:

They tried to sell cosmetics at too high of a cost, didn't offer interesting cosmetics, and refused to monetize the types of things people would spend little bits of money on here and there in pve.

One good exemple is every steam bundle. 20$-25$ for what ? 6 packs, cosmetics and pve stuff. Wayyyyy too costly. Back in the days, I bought the whole Naxraamas expension in HS for a similar price. When you can't understand what offer your competition failure is inevitable.
      Siege smasher since 2018.