eternal card game

• New

Obsidian wrote:

Goliathus wrote:

Anyone who finds Eternal draft interesting and fun, mind sharing your view with me? I would share why I think it is boring if anyone is interested, but I don't have time to type now.
      I enjoyed it because it's easy, fast, low-stakes against an AI, and you can keep trying it, hoping to get certain combinations of cards. The fact that it's against an AI makes a huge difference for me, because that's how I like to play. I don't mind the simple 'pick one of three' that Hearthstone started, because it still lets you shape your deck and I never really cared about 'hate drafting' or building your deck to counter other people's strategies. I just want to make the best deck I can, and it sort of lets you do that. It's not perfect, but the fact that I can keep trying it over and over against AI, no queues or anything like that makes it nice.
      I actually meant the draft vs player mode. Sorry for not being specific.

Edit: Don't tell me that mode is gone?(Have not played since middle of Set 3)
    • New

Forge is still there :)

I don't think either Hex or Eternal is clearly better than the other when it comes to draft. Differences or benefits to Eternal over Hex, just to take that side of the argument for the hell of it...

Way faster to draft a deck and get into a match. Even if Hex queue times were instantaneous (lol), you're still spending close to 30 mins picking cards. Veteran drafters on Eternal are drafting their decks in under 5 minutes.

In Eternal you use a higher % of the cards picked in building your deck compared to Hex. It's way easier to be forced to slot borderline unplayable cards widening the skill gap when choosing cards. You are not punished as badly in Hex for making inferior choices on say, your final 4 cards in or out.

With the introduction of Set 4, Eternal now uses curated draft packs for 2 of the 4 packs drafted with set 4 being the other 2.

Eternal does factor in your general MMR in limited in addition to current record as opposed to directly matching you up with people of equal wins.

Ever since Hex moved away from pod drafting, the difference in asynch is pretty negligible.

If comparing to Hex today, I'd prefer Eternal only because the severe wait times of drafting and matchmaking on Hex are downright terrible based on severely declining popularity. Hex is definitely a better game, but that's just not good enough anymore imo.
    • New

i would like play only construct in Hex, but how many $ i will need spend each set ?

curently i don't know if i will come back. there are concurrency now. i stoped magic in the past for Hex because of tounament a weekend in my country was 100€, 200€ in europe with hostel + travel + tournament and food. Now there are the same question with Eternal and MTGA.
    • New

Bazou wrote:

i would like play only construct in Hex, but how many $ i will need spend each set ?

curently i don't know if i will come back. there are concurrency now. i stoped magic in the past for Hex because of tounament a weekend in my country was 100€, 200€ in europe with hostel + travel + tournament and food. Now there are the same question with Eternal and MTGA.
      I wouldn't assume there is ever going to be another Hex set. Set 10 being delayed "a couple months" could be longer than the server stays online.

The majority of standard tier 1 decks have probably cost $150-$250 US. There are certainly budget options / tier 2 decks that have cost significantly less.
    • New

Obsidian wrote:

Eternal was alright. The appeal wears off once you hit the more difficult tiers of decks and run out of their newbie gold generosity. Once you make it to masters, the AI drafts don't really pay for themselves, and grinding gold in their gauntlet is pretty unbearable. But I will give them credit for the sheer variety of decks you run into.

I've been playing a lot of the new Legend of the Five Rings game, both in paper and online. It's a great game, but unfortunately won't scratch the itch for us PvE'ers, because it's a pvp-only game at the moment, and I'm really not sure what it'd look like as PvE. But hey, the online client's 100% free, so that's sweet.

Where can I find L5R online ?
    • New

Goliathus wrote:

eddatog wrote:

I've been streaming eternal to about a week now and I've found it fun, granted not as complex or in-depth strategies as hex/mtg but it's only got 3 sets, could get better in the future, drafting is fun if a little bit of a cakewalk, community seems nice and the devs are implementing drops on twitch soon so you will get packs just for having an eternal stream open
      I thought they released set 4 not long ago?
      sorry my bad, like I said, I've only been playing a week
    • New

Gregangel wrote:

Obsidian wrote:

Eternal was alright. The appeal wears off once you hit the more difficult tiers of decks and run out of their newbie gold generosity. Once you make it to masters, the AI drafts don't really pay for themselves, and grinding gold in their gauntlet is pretty unbearable. But I will give them credit for the sheer variety of decks you run into.

I've been playing a lot of the new Legend of the Five Rings game, both in paper and online. It's a great game, but unfortunately won't scratch the itch for us PvE'ers, because it's a pvp-only game at the moment, and I'm really not sure what it'd look like as PvE. But hey, the online client's 100% free, so that's sweet.
      Where can I find L5R online ?
      Well, I should clarify the online client is not an official product, but a player-created tool. The link is: jigoku.online/
      As you will see, it's just an interface to make decks, create your own matches, and a chat lobby. It doesn't have any sort of learn-to-play element, and is simply functional, rather than pretty. Here are a few more links, if you're interested:

Learn to Play rules: images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.…l5c01_learntoplay_web.pdf
      Youtube tutorial:
      Full rules reference: images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.…ne_rulesreference_v15.pdf
      Card database: fiveringsdb.com/cards

Hopefully these tools will be enough to get you started. You can always check a local game shop too, to see if they have any organized play.
      Old username: Aradon | Collector backer | Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulean Acadamy" -- Taking applications once guilds are implemented