Resetting the Stage

• Vroengard wrote:

I'd be comfortable with losing everything except from the currency IF:

1) (This is in the event of a start from scratch, Set 01) we were given X amount of free Limited tickets for each set release up to and including Set 09. X can be infinite or not. Perhaps it's somehow dependent on how many cards of each set a player lost in the wipe. Perhaps it's set at 50, 100, 1,000 for each player. I don't know. I wouldn't mind having to play Limited FOR FREE to re-build the collection from scratch.
      That would be immensely tone-deaf, considering one of the big issues that HEX is suffering currently is its complete lack of casual support. Forcing people to play limited to get back what HEX stole would just showcase that they haven't learned a thing.
    • Hmm..., you're not wrong. Some people just bought packs and cracked them open. It wouldn't be fair.

How about, instead of tickets, they gave packs? Then, since there's the issue with the fee for playing Limited, maybe they could i. marked those as "special packs" that if you wanted to open in Limited, you wouldn't have to pay a fee or ii. assign a specific time period when Limited would only cost packs and no fee (either continuously for x days/weeks or on repeating frames, ex. for x weeks, if you queue between Friday 12:00 and Monday 12:00, you don't pay a fee).

Granted, those "free" queues would have to have the rewards adjusted. Ideally to cards. Maybe even AA cards.
    • At least personally, I would never return if the collection got a reset; there's a significant amount of money involved, that's one thing--but the time and energy and effort and active pursuit of building up all the various facets, from trading to arena/campaign runs and whatever else--there's just no way, for me.

It's moot now, but just figured I'd chime in for a whale take--I would not be a whale again on a relaunch.
    • Blackwood wrote:

At least personally, I would never return if the collection got a reset; there's a significant amount of money involved, that's one thing--but the time and energy and effort and active pursuit of building up all the various facets, from trading to arena/campaign runs and whatever else--there's just no way, for me.

It's moot now, but just figured I'd chime in for a whale take--I would not be a whale again on a relaunch.

Agreed. Even as someone who only played fairly casually since Alpha, I wouldn't continue playing if collections got a reset. Too much time invested to just restart.
    • If they make a restart, they have to make a collection reset, even if we don't like loosing everything we collected for 5 years.

No reset would mean that the restart has already 3340 different cards, 81 mercenaries and 124 champions already in, which is an impossible starting point for new players. Also, if collections remain untouched, then rebalancing cards/mechanics etc. would also cause an uproar, since your "KS exclusive AAAA Vampire King's Bride of Herofalling" wouldn't have the same value as before.

Full value dusting/crafting + KS exclusives/perks replaced with something equal should be a nice starting point. Keeping our accumulated sleeves/cosmetics should not hurt the market either.

TheMainEvent wrote:

Whatever approach they take, it is going to be hard to support if Cory is still in charge. We would just be waiting for all the same mistakes to made again.
      Very true!
    • They could do a soft relaunch, either restarting with Set 1 and a new business model of some sort or with a Core Set that consists of mostly (all?) reprints to establish a new baseline. Either one requires a big marketing push (probably from TheNewOwners) and ideally a UI overhaul that includes the AH and Chat at a minimum. You reset Standard and Limited to the new baseline, but leave in some token Immortal support for the current players. Ideally this includes some decent casual modes like EDH and Pauper/Rock/Whatever that encourage new players to collect old C/UC stuff. They could even reprint certain cards in PVE if they wanted, to let new folks acquire them and use them in casual modes.

Any sort of relaunch only works if it attracts a wide range of new players; merely bringing back the old guard who have abandoned ship just kicks the can down the road another year or two. However, anything that completely resets collections will get extreme negative feedback and likely ensure any relaunch effort fails to get off the ground.
    • I would still play AND support the game monetarily if:

1) There would be a complete overhaul of the entire PvE experience. Pay for content once and enjoy the game. HexEnt would release constant new content with nodes, raids, cards, items, dungeons etc. This would need to happen at least several times a year. I would also need to see this happen a few times before I would buy anything. Promises count for jack shit here these days. Every single item in the game would be collectible by playing. No more random packs; in fact no cards or packs could be bought with real money. You would need to find them in game by exploring the map. Every card would have account-wide stats and at least one quest/achievement. This would be the poor man's Double Back, but at least it would be something. Re-playability, it's a thing. Co-op would need to be in the game. Faeria already has it, and it's fun as fuck with a friend. HEX's version would be 100 times better even with current content, so it's insane it's not already here.

2) Everyone would keep all their current cards, mercenaries and inventory items. I have spent too much time and money to acquire my loot. I have earned this headstart. Account wipe would be an immediate uninstall for me. Just change where the items can be found and make things like WoF legendaries super rare. Everyone could get them, but it would take a bit of time and exploring.

3) There would be no overlap between PvP and PvE. Keep PvP if you want, but acquiring anything in PvE would never require anything about this side of the game. They would be completely separate games if I had the choice. Relaunch PvE with a different name and a B2P model. Faeria has increased its playerbase by 16 % after the first full month of this change. Might not hold, but we'll see. Follow this path, but with a way better product. Faeria would be to HEX what Hearthstone is to MtG if they shared a similar model. HEX would be better in every way. I believe the playerbase would eventually grow.

4) Monetize cosmetics and QoL improvements (see Path of Exile's stash upgrades for example) if you feel the need. I don't care. I will pay for a good game and enjoyable experience that will not waste my time. I will never pay for random loot boxes anymore.

EDIT -> Obviously shops for some kind of in-game currency would be sweet. Taverns or roaming vendors with constantly changing cards and equipment for sale. Just like in Shandalar.

5) Give us community tools to easily create our own maps and dungeons, with an ability to write our own stories and plotlines. There would never be a lack of playable content. Just more unique stuff you can encounter with your friends is more than enough until you release the next official content patch. Allow anything, but make a rating system, so the cream would rise to the top. Kinda like Neverwinter Nights modules. Heck, allow creating your own cards inside your own story. Yeah, some people would make stupid shit, but this additional content would be free, so who cares? I would invite my friends daily to explore other people's stuff with me.

Make no mistake, the mechanics, visuals and original dream of the game are still amazing. This game could still be something. Sadly, no part of this will ever happen, but what the hell, we are talking about what ifs. I just wish there will be a game like this some day.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Ertzi: More stuff came to mind. ().