How far is AZ3 coming?

• Moutch wrote:

I find you all a but harsh. Hex is not the best programmed game around (this AH is still giving me nightmares) but the experience was still very good for me and mostly bug free. Looking at the current Magic Arena in-game UI right now, I'd say Hex did it better (I know Magic Arena is in beta). Then apparently they didn't implement the systems very well (like gems, expansions, etc) but you mostly didn't feel it in game.
      Yes I agree with you. Insult and bashing once they are down is not proper.

I think most people need to go look how the game looked 4-5 years ago and see how things changed

I’ll just say that some of the taken decisions were not the best ones and priorities should of been established . If you don’t adapt in a competitive environment that is currently flooded with ccg games you will die.

This game was supposed to be a pve game. They had a publisher paying this development which took to much time. Making a copy of mtg was not a recipe for success. If you want mtg you plan mtg. The only reasons some other card games are better is they have a f2p model and some noticeable differences with its competition

Anyway. You guys are harsh. I was quite happy with how Hex was. Something could of been better but it is what it is
    • As a programmer myself I want to at least try and defend them a little. They were probably understaffed and defenetely missmanaged.
      There probably also never was enough time to properly test stuff. That doesnt mean they havent made mistakes. Many and big ones even.

What I am trying to say is that the lack of good programmers wasnt so much the problem as everything else. In german there is a saying called "der Fisch stinkt vom Kopf" (the fish stinks from the head). The problems were mostly at managment. Priorities were all wrong and there never seemed to be a clear growth plan or any plan for that matter. Cleaning up the friends list is not something that is hard to do or takes a lot of time at all. Someone just needs to make the call that it gets done. From the outside the managment was all over the place which also caused the more than lucklaster communication probably.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Metronomy ().

• I understand what you're saying, but from what I have seen, the programming / quality of code is a problem completely independent of the management issues. I am also a programmer, and I was also a volunteer tester for them for a couple of years, so I have seen things most players haven't, that I can't talk about specifically due to NDAs. I don't say these things idly or to be mean, but based on actual experience.

HexEnt is missing some very fundamental and simple things like functional and validated version control, a proper project management structure, scripting for the automation of connected tasks, or even a manual checklist system so that connected tasks are done properly (see my previous comments re: the tournaments last week for a clear example of this fundamental lack of good programming practices). These are things that a professional programmer / programming department would put in place no matter what management was doing, and management wouldn't have any reason to exert control over the IT department to prevent this sort of thing (in fact, as I'm sure you know yourself, most management teams wouldn't even know what the hell any of that was, and would leave it to IT to handle on their own based on their specific needs).
      --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
      - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well
    • Moutch wrote:

I find you all a bit harsh. Hex is not the best programmed game around (this AH is still giving me nightmares) but the experience was still very good for me and mostly bug free.
      I don't know what you're referring to specifically.

If a format is said to be 5-6-6 (which is a valid format that happened) and is instead 5-5-6, that's a huge bug and it is relevant to programming.

If the same format is supposed to use the corresponding gems in it (which, for that format, would be the gems that were Standard legal during set 6) but is using the set 9 standard legal gems, that a huge bug that is also relevant to programming.

If every copy of every card in existence is unique and the AH and Collection take triple what it should to load, that's bad programming and general philosophy.

Just because you don't notice bugs yourself, doesn't mean that there aren't things to blame on programming (also, problematic programming isn't just limited to bugs).
    • Moutch wrote:

I find you all a bit harsh. Hex is not the best programmed game around (this AH is still giving me nightmares) but the experience was still very good for me and mostly bug free. Looking at the current Magic Arena in-game UI right now, I'd say Hex did it better (I know Magic Arena is in beta). Then apparently they didn't implement the systems very well (like gems, expansions, etc) but you mostly didn't feel it in game.

Moutch wrote:

Are you suggesting they suck at developing because the format is 5-5-6 instead of 5-6-6? :|
      Are you moving the goalposts or something? Because you distinctly said "programming" and I said "programming" multiple times as well and somehow your return is "developing", which neither you nor me talked about before.

I will humour you, though, and reply that no, I do not suggest they suck at developing because the format is 5-6-6 instead of 6-6-5. They suck at programming because it's like that.

EDIT: As I've said before the game Hex is fine so developing the cards is something that they succeeded massively.

omoreindakitchen wrote:

Did 5-5-6 happen?
      I haven't checked myself but this information is right from the forums and it hasn't been disputed by anyone in days so, in all good faith, I take it to be true. @Portensio You're right, the problem is that it's in reverse order of opening, not the reverse pack validity.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Vroengard ().

• Not sure what the difference between programming and developing is exactly, in my native language it's kind of the same. But setting the format to wrong sets is not a proof of being bad at programming, it's probably just a human mistake that the best programmer in the world could have done.
    • It's supposed to be 6-6-5 with gems from the set 5 rotation, and set 5/6 champs. Instead, it was originally 5-6-6 (an important but easy to miss distinction), with set 9 gems showing instead of set 5 gems, but all gems were marked as illegal, so you couldn't socket anything. They were supposedly going to fix this on Friday by taking the tournament servers down for an hour, but when it came back up it was still using the set 9 gems, I don't know if they're legal or not yet but it's still not the set 5 gems like it's supposed to be (and the packs are still being opened in the wrong order when drafting).

I've also heard reports from some but have not confirmed myself (again, because I won't pay them a fucking cent with things the way they are right now), that the tournaments are using the wrong ban list, the Constructed ban list to be exact, so that if you get a banned card in your LIMITED pool, it makes the pool invalid and you can't play. Someone reported having Lazgar's Vengeance in their pool and not only could they not play with it in their deck, they couldn't play a game at all because it said the card was banned (even though they didn't have it in the active deck, it was in the reserves so it flagged the whole deck as illegal).

You know... PROGRAMMING! A real cracker jack operation.

And to those asking about version control - I have not seen their code or tools personally (obviously), but if it DOES have some kind of version control built into it, it either doesn't work or they don't know how to use it, because they have released patches MULTIPLE times over the years that reintroduced previously fixed bugs (often from the last patch, proving that they are losing / reverting changes to the code).
      --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
      - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well
    • Moutch wrote:

I find you all a bit harsh. Hex is not the best programmed game around (this AH is still giving me nightmares) but the experience was still very good for me and mostly bug free. Looking at the current Magic Arena in-game UI right now, I'd say Hex did it better (I know Magic Arena is in beta). Then apparently they didn't implement the systems very well (like gems, expansions, etc) but you mostly didn't feel it in game.
      I mean... for a while near the start, every single evo or draft I played suffered from some bug or another. I didn't report them all because I felt bad getting free tickets for every single limited tournament I participated in.

Grave Nibbler, a card released in set... 2 I believe, was fixed during set... 8 or 9. It was bugged for literally years, in various different ways.

Nearly every single AA card they've released has not had its equipment work for at least a month after release.(I can't recall any that just worked, but there were quite a few AA cards from pvp stuff that I never got... so it's possible)

For several consecutive sets the AH was incapable of searching for the PvE cards from chests upon release.

I get that games have bugs. Bugs are inevitable in a large code-base like a game. But I expect a good programmer to learn from having to fix bugs that 'oh crap, this is something we need to account for when we release content'. The repeated bugs of the exact same type every set are just unacceptable.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • No one cares about why things didn’t turn out. We care about how we feel with the trust and investment of time, money, hopes, we made in the idea, that never fully materialized.

That’s why, I believe, a lot of us are disgruntled at this point, not retrospectively happy with how far things have “progressed”.

Oh well, at least fun times were had, and it definitely got me to be passionate and creative for a while, so in that regard the time was a good investment for me as an outlet.
    • Sukebe wrote:

Frederik wrote:

it is i best dont spend any money anymore on hex it seems.
      enough people making this decision and we can be guaranteed the game will die. I don't have a lot to spend on anything but I still spend what I can on Hex.
      also, the people on these forums were doom and gloom/the sky is falling even before Hex admitted it was having problems. they simply took Corys words as an excuse to be even more toxic than they were before. Some have good suggestions but only bother giving them with a smattering of insults and berating of the staff at Hex.
      This post is absolutely disgusting and you should reevaluate your priorities if you believe it's better to support Hex than potential consumers from Hex, having been here PLENTY long enough to know better.
    • Utremeld wrote:

Sukebe wrote:

Frederik wrote:

it is i best dont spend any money anymore on hex it seems.
      enough people making this decision and we can be guaranteed the game will die. I don't have a lot to spend on anything but I still spend what I can on Hex.also, the people on these forums were doom and gloom/the sky is falling even before Hex admitted it was having problems. they simply took Corys words as an excuse to be even more toxic than they were before. Some have good suggestions but only bother giving them with a smattering of insults and berating of the staff at Hex.
      This post is absolutely disgusting and you should reevaluate your priorities if you believe it's better to support Hex than potential consumers from Hex, having been here PLENTY long enough to know better.
      it's called stockholm syndrome
    • Arkansaw wrote:

AZ3 will not happen because even if they had the resources, the content can be used to make a new game with better potential sales.
      Or, just throwing it out there, they could've made and sold AZ3. I get that they're in no position to do anything for free, financially speaking. I'm willing to help with that.

However for almost three years now they've insisted on telling me I don't matter. Likewise, my money has stayed firmly within my pocket.

Moutch wrote:

I was one of the players who vehemently called out Tindalos for going to complete radio silence for over a year after Battlefleet Gothic was released. We were all annoyed that after being told "just to be patient" (Sound familiar?) and know that "something was coming" (Again?), they took almost 18 months to announce a new game. That announcement started with them basically apologizing to the community, giving away the DLC to the first game, and offering an absolutely ridiculous discount to the pre-existing playerbase (40% in addition to the pre-order discount of 20%).

After all of that, many community members still considered their actions completely unacceptable, and refused to continue defending them, and their standard practice of "ignore the community and pretend everything is fine". And this is from a company that both apologized and acknowledged their fix. Yet you want me to pretend like HEX shouldn't be praised for literally doubling that timeframe, and offering literally nothing as an apology?

Give me a break.