[Poll] Question to the community: What would relaunching from Set 1 offer to the game?

• [Poll] Question to the community: What would relaunching from Set 1 offer to the game?

Do you think that if HXE managed to financialy stabilize themselves, they (and the game) would benefit from relaunching from Set 01? 51
        Yes (11) 22%
        No (40) 78%
      I've seen the suggestion around, but it's never discussed in depth. What exactly would relaunching from Set 01, assumingly with the same exact cards, with the same set size, beneficially add to Hex? I doubt it's so people can catch up with cards they're missing, that's something that could be addressed with a better AH (we still have people with collection of thousand unsold cards) and, even better, flashback drafts.

If anyone feels like adding more, under what circumstances (i.e., what would have to be different either in the economic model, the rolout of the cards or generally in Hex) would relaunching from Set 01 be the way to go?

Please give your thoughts on the matter, especially if you're one of the proponents of the idea.

P.S. I've made it so that people can change their vote, if they're convinced by the pros / cons discussed in this thread.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Vroengard ().

• I like reprinting but I have no interest in restarting a whole game. Ultimately, I seek something new on every Set and relaunching from Set 01 is the opposite of that for 5 years. I also don't give a F about missing cards as I am not a collector. One pro of (properly run) TCG is that I can get the cards I need for my decks and that's all I need.
    • id speak just for me, but playing the old formats would be fun for me, i dont care about collecting and stuff, i just want to PLAY the game and the old sets were fun most of the time, i would not relaunch 1:1 regarding cycle - like goliathus said (5 years) id like to have shorter cycles, like 1 set each 2 or 3 month so that we can have the current state within about 2 years i guess - also most of the current players didnt even play set 1-5/6 (looks at you ps4 folks) and currently the majority of the playerbase seems to be ps4 ;(
      Austrian Kickstarter & Slacker Backer
      -=] Dont mess with the bull, you gonna get the horn [=-
    • I can't vote, because my opinion would be : I don't know.

I think HEX would lose a bigger part of it's current remaining player base, as after 5 years almost nobody would be happy to lose their collection and progress, and start from SET 1.

The question is : would it be good enough to draw in enough new players? How it would be different?

It MUST be different in some manner, either the economy model, the modes offered (PVP modes, new PVE, raids...) as just relaunching a 5 year-ago version would not be a success.
    • cainhu wrote:

I can't vote, because my opinion would be : I don't know.

I think HEX would lose a bigger part of it's current remaining player base, as after 5 years almost nobody would be happy to lose their collection and progress, and start from SET 1.

The question is : would it be good enough to draw in enough new players? How it would be different?

It MUST be different in some manner, either the economy model, the modes offered (PVP modes, new PVE, raids...) as just relaunching a 5 year-ago version would not be a success.
      why lose the collection - they should just reset the sets and maybe add new features :) player collection OFC should be the same as today (IMO)
    • After some further thinking, I think I am cool with rebooting the game if some things are different. For instance,I would be cool with Set 1 and 2 if they keep some of the most iconic cards like Vampire King, the angel, the 5(could be wrong, I don't care) dragons and so on but revamp the not-so-important cards. Keep the keywords though. Essentially, I am fine revisiting the old sets if there are changes and not a carbon copy. If they keep the keywords and design some new cards for Hex 2.0, then great.

My friends recently make one comment about why these games love it so much to just keep invent new keywords when they can actually use back some of the older one and they have a point. I would enjoy new tunneling cards and so on. There is no need to forcefully throw out new keywords. This is especially fitting because Entrath is just one world. Magic might have to keep chunking up new keywords because they go to different planes.
    • The purpose of a reset is to have a new economy and to get rid of the entrenched playerbase that is not paying for the game. Just reprinting the old cards is pointless, and a new company probably wants to mix things up so it is not entirely predictable for existing players.
      "Winning with terrormill is not fun? Try losing with it"
    • Relaunching isn't a solution. Remaking old sets (and therefore taking away / changing cards we already own) is also a terrible idea, as it would be a betrayal of the trust older players put into the game during its formation. They need to fix and improve the client and add in the missing pieces of the game. Just going back to the beginning and especially revamping things like OG card design is wasted effort. What we have is what we have - we need to build form there, not tear it down and lose even more time than we already have.
      --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
      - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well
    • Following the near apocalyptic events in Doomsbringer, the Primals banded together to save Entrath from its death by warping time and essentially creating an alternate timeline back to where it all started going wrong, the beginnings of the Ardent v Underworld war. In order for history not to repeat itself, the Primals created a new element called Fatebreaker and sprinkled it across the four corners of Entrath. This new element doesn't work in the same way that the shards do and combines with the shards in unique ways. Discover the new path Entrath and its heroes and villains take in this all new adventure where the characters you grew fond of develop in new unexpected ways. Welcome to ParallHex: Fatebreaker.

-Sets 1-8 are relaunched with the same art and characters but functioning in all new ways.
      -All new Primal rarity cards appear and for the first time bring to life the Primals themselves to the game in an all new card type. Expect some of them to take an active role in changing the course of Entrath.
      -Old cards you grew fond of have seen their cost, attack/defense, and abilities completed changed due to their interaction with the Fatebreaker element.
      -A new eternal format is introduced where both Hex and ParallHex cards are constructed legal.
      -For the first time, a monthly subscription package of $9.99 per month will allow you to pilot 3 different rotating decks relevant to the current meta without needing to own any of the cards.
      -Every 3 months, a new chapter unfolds in this timewarping tale of mindbending proportions. At the end of this 2 year journey revisiting the 8 sets, prepare to group up with friends and foes alike for a Doomsbringer RAID!

It all launches with the release of the Tablet client, Soonember 33rd 2018.
    • limited wise first set was the most interesting and skill-based, however, it doesn't really matter, since ppl are active in limited only for 2-4 weeks every new set...

mixing last and first sets in constructed may be interesting, but i doubt it will bring much money to the game
    • Is it nostalgia that is driving people to think of Set 1 again? It was a great set, but the past is the past. Even though Doombringer lived up to it's name, HEX had been struggling for a long time. I think Bootlace nailed it, Set 5 is when I really started seeing the writing on the wall. Basically anemic growth and a steam release met with a massive shrug by the gaming community. At the time HEX's response was that it was 'normal' for games to grow slowly over time, then they took all of 2017 off for the PS4 release, only dropping siege at the end of the year that was met with further shrugs from the player base...

Anyway, others smarter and wiser than me have pointed these things out already. HEX had money and time once to turn this ship around failed to do it. Now that it's flat broke and so much of the community is sour or gone... all they have left is a hail mary pass. I doubt seriously they have the funds or resources for a glorious relaunch, that's probably what Cory meant in his post about trying to 'become a larger developer'. He hopes that will provide the influx of resources they need to relaunch the game.
    • New

It feels like two different things are being suggested by the proponents of the idea. Some folks want to just reprint Set 1, presumably resetting to a meta of just Set 1 with 111 drafts, etc. then do Set 2 (221) and so forth. Other folks want to wipe the servers completely and relaunch from Set 1. The poll should probably be updated to differentiate between these two ideas, since they are miles apart in terms of their impact on the game.

Wiping and relaunching is a completely terrible idea that would squander any hint of goodwill left among the current playerbase.

Reprinting feels like it would be a copout, but if they wanted to do longer server-wide flashback periods I suppose I wouldn't hate the idea. If I were to imagine it implemented properly, I would suggest doing it on a monthly basis. For the first month, all limited would consist exclusively of Set 1 packs, and the standard ladder would be Set 1 (with Set 1 AA cards and sleeve); after a month introduce Set 2, then Set 3, and so on. CCS tournaments would need their rewards reduced to compensate for the increased frequency.

This would certainly require some effort on HXE's part to implement, but not a whole lot. New AAs would be needed at a minimum for the Sets before ladder was implemented, but they could certainly reuse the old ladder ones once we got back to those sets (new AAs/sleeve would obviously be ideal). The biggest risk is alienating players who are newer to the game (hai2ps4) and invested in current sets, suddenly finding that their collections aren't going to be useful for several months. This could be mitigated a number of ways: running a separate Flashback ladder but keeping a current Standard Constructed one would help, as would offering decent preconstructed decks (either free or cheap, maybe gold) for each of the sets as they're introduced. Ending the whole flashback period with a temporary Immortal push would help too; maybe a month long Immortal Constructed gauntlet, running Immortal Bashes in that period and an Immortal CCS (ended with Kismet draft?) at the end of the "season". This lets everyone know that HXE will care about Immortal, and gives newer players a reason to collect older cards.
    • New

Cernz wrote:

cainhu wrote:

why lose the collection - they should just reset the sets and maybe add new features :) player collection OFC should be the same as today (IMO)
      So, your suggestion is to re-release Set 1,2,3,4 after Set 10, instead of a Set 11,12,13,14? Well, that is terrible.

Older players with big set 1 collections would play even LESS than now. But I can imagine a new "core" set of a collection of older (set 1-6) cards between Set 10 and Set 11, which would reintroduce many staples, but only those which would not break constructed.
    • New

cainhu wrote:

Cernz wrote:

cainhu wrote:

So, your suggestion is to re-release Set 1,2,3,4 after Set 10, instead of a Set 11,12,13,14? Well, that is terrible.
      Older players with big set 1 collections would play even LESS than now. But I can imagine a new "core" set of a collection of older (set 1-6) cards between Set 10 and Set 11, which would reintroduce many staples, but only those which would not break constructed.
      I can't play LESS than now.

On topic: Some kind of Time Spiral would be cool.
    • New

cainhu wrote:

Cernz wrote:

cainhu wrote:

older players who still play this game should not be in the need to pay for plat anymore, most of the current paying players are new players and i bet that the majority of the current players didnt play before set5 - so yes that would be my favorite plan - even though i did play since alpha, i wd still enjoy a start from set1.