LET'S REVITALISE DRAFT! Presenting... WEEKLY MUTATIONS!

• LET'S REVITALISE DRAFT! Presenting... WEEKLY MUTATIONS!

G'day Hexers!

We just got news of the set 10 delay :( and it's obvious no one wants to draft set 9 for another 2 months... so a flashback event would be nice I guess...

Then I got to thinking... why are we still using the same draft system of old? this is a digital product and just like how cards and mechanics have evolved thanks to this, it is time to EVOLVE DRAFT!

Presenting. . .

MUTATION DRAFTS
      What is mutation drafts you ask? Each week drafts will mutate and change up how you draft and play!

Examples:

Mutation - DOUBLE-UP
      During the draft process there is a % chance for ANY pick to duplicate, thus giving you 2 playables. This wouldn't give you 2 for your collection, just 2 to play with. This would also have a set number of times it can trigger during the draft (10 total duplicates for example and it would be guaranteed that everyone gets 10 duplicate triggers).

Mutation - WHO AM I?!
      Players are unable to select a champion, instead you are given a random champion and all threshold requirements disappear... not only that, you TRANSFORM EACH TURN into a different champion! Use it now or wait for a favourable transformation?!

Mutation - TO THE ARMORY!
      Players can use equipment! ZOMG YES! :D

Mutation - SOCK IT TO ME
      X number of random cards in each pack get a socket! (obviously only for the draft :P)

Mutation - COFFEE COFFEE COFFEE
      Drafting AND Gameplay (all animations etc) is sped up by 100%!

Mutation - WORDS ARE THE KEY
      X number of random cards in each pack opened gets a random keyword (obviously only for the draft :P)

Mutation - GOLDEN SHOWERS
      Hidden under 5 random cards in EVERY pack is a pouch of gold! How many will you find? :D

Mutation - TRICK OR TREAT
      After each game, the winner receives a random Rare, Legendary or even a Primal chest from any set! The loser gets a Booby Trap inserted into their deck for the duration of the draft.

Mutation - TREASURE HUNT
      Similar to golden showers, but instead of gold you could have random rarity treasure chests hidden behind X random cards in each pack.

Mutation - CAN'T TOUCH THIS
      Cards in packs are constantly swapping positions randomly! Are your fingers quick enough to grab the card you want?

Mutation - THE OL' SWITCHEROO
      Won the game but think the opponent has a better deck? If you'd like, you can switch your deck for the next game with your opponent! (so... after games 1 and 2, the winner can decide to switch or not). If the winner chooses to do so, then each player will use the other players base deck.

And some joke ones...

Mutation - A WHALE OF A GOOD TIME

You can throw platinum at your opponents face... yes, you lose platinum doing this

Mutation - BIG HEAD MODE

Anything with a head now finds itself with a massive noggin'! trolololo

________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm gonna keep adding more... feel free to suggest your own though! I think this could be awesome fun :D

Cheers

HAVOC :thumbsup:

Edit: Just to clarify something, this is something I'd see being introduced as a sets hype dies down... so 2-3 months into a set, you may then spice things up again with various mutations or fun modes.

For example right now it would be super nice to have a flashback draft and then combine that with equipment (could also set it so you don't need the equipment to use it for the draft) as lots of old cards have equipment.

Twitch —— YouTube —— Twitter —— Steam —— Patreon

The post was edited 24 times, last by HAVOC ().

• oufff.. honestly.. no. Too much randomness and wacky stuff and its really agains the spirit of just drafting.

I would just be happy with

Week 1-2 Kismet draft
      Week 3-4 - Set 3-4 draft
      week 5-6 Set 5-6 draft
      Week 7-8 Set 7-8 draft.

You could also jump in with a waky draft format where you draft set 7-8-9 as they are also very connected.

I would also adapt draft to be more friendly by either making longer games. Instead of 3 games, i would make it 5 and would then be able to go with 1 pack per win.

It is different then the Constructed gauthlet because here you have no loss choice.. you play 5 games and win based on your record. if you win 1 lose 4 you get 1 pack, contrary to the constructed gauthlet where you can lose 2x and still win 5 games and reap the full rewards.
    • Portensio wrote:

oufff.. honestly.. no. Too much randomness and wacky stuff and its really agains the spirit of just drafting.

I would just be happy with

Week 1-2 Kismet draft
      Week 3-4 - Set 3-4 draft
      week 5-6 Set 5-6 draft
      Week 7-8 Set 7-8 draft.

You could also jump in with a waky draft format where you draft set 7-8-9 as they are also very connected.

I would also adapt draft to be more friendly by either making longer games. Instead of 3 games, i would make it 5 and would then be able to go with 1 pack per win.

It is different then the Constructed gauthlet because here you have no loss choice.. you play 5 games and win based on your record. if you win 1 lose 4 you get 1 pack, contrary to the constructed gauthlet where you can lose 2x and still win 5 games and reap the full rewards.
      These are all just examples of things that are possible... they don't have to do anything that adds more randomness to the game... the possibilities are truly endless, but there really is no need for draft to be the same as it was when it was first designed over 20 years ago.

Twitch —— YouTube —— Twitter —— Steam —— Patreon
    • HAVOC wrote:

So how could HXE get something like this implemented?

I think the best way would be once many ideas have been collected... HXE could pick out their top X favourites (or ones that ain't too hard to implement) and let the community vote on the ones they like the most. HXE could then code and implement them based on said voites.
      Highlighted the entire problem here.

Flashback or Kismet draft might not be ideal, but its already coded into the client so its actually possible.