Make a case to play Mage in Campaign

• The main reason you should choose to play Mage currently is if your deck doesn't need help to be great. Warrior has a build around tutor ability, and Clerics buff your mercenaries if you play a suite of mercenary decks designed to take down specific content. Most "troop" decks would probably be better off with a Warrior class backing it up, aside from Constant themed decks (which are better off with Elf Cleric or a specific mercenary) everything else is pretty much better off with the card selection and interaction the Mage gives. IMO people just aren't playing them because troop strategies are so strong in the current low tier content, we'll see harder content in Az3+ where troop strategies aren't as viable which might bring about the resurgence of the Mage. If you have cards, you go for the fast clearing decks usually, and if you don't creating powerful cards like Blessing or making your worse troops better with Training means Mage isn't really viable (you can definitely make a powerful Mage deck using just the cards you find in Az1/2 or the Arena, but not great as a first choice).

Ranger is great but having consistent access to a troop (often a mediocre troop but still) changes how you build and play a deck compared to the other classes, probably the best choice to start now but it is what it is.

Mercenaries really killed Mages at least for now, while a human Mage can benefit from 3 supporting mercenaries at level 15 (which is Amazing btw) the variety of options makes it harder for the Mage to look like an appealing option.

It's another way to play. The best thing about Hex is how many ways you can play, drastically changing the game with new abilities and racial combos - if Only for the added challenge makes them worth trying out.

Cheers - Artifaction <3
    • I agree that compared to the other classes Mage feels a bit weaker and has a little less variety in deck-building (Not many clear tribe choices to make except the elemental one that sucks). However, the campaign isn't that hard except for a few encounters, and I'm a sucker for flavourful decks, so of course I also played a mage through the campaign! It's a new way to play, and even if it's weaker than other ways, I still thoroughly enjoyed my playthrough with mage. That should be reason enough to be honest.
    • I feel like the impression I gave was that Mage was a weaker class, it's just that it doesn't have Enablers like some of the other classes, it's perfectly on level it just requires a deck that doesn't benefit from those enablers to be "better" for that deck. It's a solid class it's just not as easy to see it's full potential.
    • Artifaction wrote:

I feel like the impression I gave was that Mage was a weaker class, it's just that it doesn't have Enablers like some of the other classes, it's perfectly on level it just requires a deck that doesn't benefit from those enablers to be "better" for that deck. It's a solid class it's just not as easy to see it's full potential.
      They are a weaker class, though. They get a pretty drastic starting health penalty, and their talents tend to be underwhelming and disjointed. They don't have clear support for many archetypes either, and the support they do have is for archetypes that are pretty feeble to begin with, such as action decks. It's why they're so much harder to build a deck for than, say, ranger, who can go full plants or beasts with the appropriate talents and become near unstoppable.
    • Firellius wrote:

Artifaction wrote:

I feel like the impression I gave was that Mage was a weaker class, it's just that it doesn't have Enablers like some of the other classes, it's perfectly on level it just requires a deck that doesn't benefit from those enablers to be "better" for that deck. It's a solid class it's just not as easy to see it's full potential.
      They are a weaker class, though. They get a pretty drastic starting health penalty, and their talents tend to be underwhelming and disjointed. They don't have clear support for many archetypes either, and the support they do have is for archetypes that are pretty feeble to begin with, such as action decks. It's why they're so much harder to build a deck for than, say, ranger, who can go full plants or beasts with the appropriate talents and become near unstoppable.
      There exists at least one deck that's as fast as any warrior or ranger deck that only works or works better in a mage deck, the problem is the ranger doesn't even need to spec into beasts or plants to be good - you can just support your pet and get there against any content in campaign, any deck that wants to win with troops is better off with a warrior, and cleric can play Any deck the mage can wield properly and be significantly less likely to die for it - if you want pure speed and power and build appropriately staying alive isn't an issue and the Mage truly shines. But that deck isn't one you'd come across early on in playing - or even after a hundred hours or a thousand (or 5000...) unless you're looking for it - and for your efforts the deck will likely be nerfed haha, but it'll happen you mark my words :)
    • I quit on the Elf Mage. Just got boring. Played a human mage all the way up. To me Humans have the worst racial abilities, but the best color wheel. However, the Mage Human's ability is really pretty good. I went with an underpowered constant focused deck. And I'll be damned but I didn't have a hoot. A lot of encounters went down to the wire and I only managed to survive and win by the narrowest of margins.

I still dont' love mage. But, it WAS fun. For some reason the more powerful Elf Mage just bored me. Was too easy I guess. Or just that I had played so many plant decks that I was tiring of them.
    • I always play mage-themed decks with my mages. There are plenty of cards with good equipment for mage-themed decks like Stargazer, Stalagmage, Boomsmith, Ricochet Blast, Reckless Evoker or Runeweb Weaver. Add Heroic Echo (with equipment it´s just broken), Elegy of Death (works good with the discard spell) or Form Ranks and you have not the most efficient, but a very enjoyable deck.
    • AceBladewing wrote:

Nah, a mage troop focused deck is weak. Only 1 of those mages ever deserve to be in a deck. They really need to give more playable mage cards to fill a deck for that talent.
      Weak is good enough for a big portion of the campaign though. Not saying they shouldn't give more playable mage cards, but campaign is pretty much the only place to play weak cards if one enjoys that.
    • For an Elf Mage i enjoy running mono ruby with

Matriarch of Flames +hat
      Voice of the Ashwood
      Reginald Lancashire+sword
      Army of the Arcane Cinder+boots
      and several eternals including
      Eternal Relic

usually wins by turn 4, including the kraken dungeon.
      Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.
      • Commisioner Pravin Lal - Alpha Centauri