Suggestions to pass the storm

• Suggestions to pass the storm

Cory just confirmed what we've been hinting somewhat in the last weeks/months: things are not doing well and some hard times lies ahead.

So, I want to use this thread to propose some in-game ideas (not about communication) to carry on through this and keep the people playing the game. At the end, there's no point on having the game doing nothing for 3/4 months, losing more players than what you get. Since we all know that resources are clearly limited, these ideas, at least in my mind (and others, for what I've read on the other thread), are not resource intensive and could be done fairly quick.

1) Allow Free Sieges and allow all cards in attack

With no PvE update in the foreseeable future, let the community at least starts to build something with Siege. Yes, Siege Sacks will be farmed and abused. But those are non-tradeable. It's not your priority to fix that. Just allow people to create content and attack it with all cards. PS4 players can use what they have, and buy other cards if needed. Again: It's free, so imbalances for the attacker or the defense wouldn't be that hard to take. I don't mind losing to a OP deck if I haven't paid a dime. Even more! If there're things to balance it will at least give us something to talk instead of how dead or alive is HXE.

2) Make all the Merry Melee modes available for free

The schild's way to implement this (a special tab with a 0/2 queue for each one) it's the best way to quickly implement this. Allow us to play for free all those modes. No prizes, no entry fee. Let us play and that's all. Let us create some content on it. Stream it, watch it, discuss it. Again: TAKE THE FOCUS OUT OF THE OBVIOUS. We want to talk about cards, combos, broken things, not financial status of a company. We're gamers, not investors.

I know: If we're making those free, Hex will be losing money and now it's not the best time to do it. So, instead:

3) Return kismet drafts/evo/whatever

The best way to reignite some part of the limited activity is shake things up. Not only drafts, we need new evo modes, etc. I don't know how hard it is to implement this, but I guess it's not that hard. Allow us to play Evo with older sets, or old drafts with new gems, I don't know.

Imagine this:

Week 1: New evo format
      Week 2: New draft format
      Week 3: New evo format
      Week 4: New draft format

A new format could just be a flashback of set1, set2, or whatever.

And so on. So, people have 2 weeks to play a new evo mode, and 2 weeks to play a new draft mode. It's plenty of time, while at the same time each week you give people a new reason to join.

Also, the Clash: Rotate the format! If not bi-weekly, at least one or two clashes every now and then.

Give us a reason to open the game while we're struggling on this hard times. And most important of all: Let us talk about the game and not the company. Those who wants to bash HXE, have plenty of places to do so. The issue is that people that just wants to play the game are finding no reason to talk about it. If things are going to get delayed, use your existing resources to create a bridge and work in whatever you're working.

Second time of Brazil - Belgium it's about to start, you should see it. What a match! Back in 45 minutes.
      Twitter: @Plotynus
    • Godly suggestions.

I'd like to add that making all Merry Melee modes available for free means it'll be used as a marketing tool. You know, the thing used to attract people in the game? And then, if you have a good alternative (wink Kismet draft, flashback draft wink) they might decide to spend money.
    • Great ideas OP.

Low Effort EDH: Singleton, double your Champion's health, PVE cards legal. Shouldn't be hard to implement at all, make it free as a challenge option or 0/2 queue.

Immortal Pauper: Commons only, immortal cards legal. Gold entry fee, low value prizes for wins (maybe 1k gold to enter, winner gets 1500, 10 wins grants a sleeve).
    • Plotynus wrote:

3) Return kismet drafts/evo/whatever

The best way to reignite some part of the limited activity is shake things up. Not only drafts, we need new evo modes, etc. I don't know how hard it is to implement this, but I guess it's not that hard. Allow us to play Evo with older sets, or old drafts with new gems, I don't know.

Imagine this:

Week 1: New evo format
      Week 2: New draft format
      Week 3: New evo format
      Week 4: New draft format

A new format could just be a flashback of set1, set2, or whatever.

And so on. So, people have 2 weeks to play a new evo mode, and 2 weeks to play a new draft mode. It's plenty of time, while at the same time each week you give people a new reason to join.
      Yes please. Mix things up. Either weekly or every second week, but mix things up. :)
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • I’ll take it a step further.

Sell plat for half-off. (Equalize the already ruined economy based on packs moving third party)

Give people gold rewards for winning a siege defense or winning a siege attack.. flat value. Same with siege sacks.

Allow it to be Mario maker Essie. Give us a few lives, give us mercenaries, and allow us to attack multiple random sieges for progressive rewards based on success.

Let us rate players sieges.

Let us play Wild West against each other.

Sell us loyalty items. Make VIP worth it. Sell us Account Leveling resets/etc.

Allow cosmetics to buff us.. sleeves and battle boards give buffs in pve settings.

Give people full reign in FRA.. Mercs and lives tied to roster of decks we bring in.
    • There are a lot of good ideas, but in the current state, if its slightly hard (not "too hard") to implement they might never see the light. Thats why I've proposed things that I think are fairly simple to do.

Other 2 ideas I saw in the main thread:
      1) Revamp the VIP program (this will increase the cash flow but might require some work)

2) Allow wild west mode for challenge.

Again, this is not to Fix any issue. It's just a thing they need to do to create a bridge and at least sustain the activity. It looks like with every drop, Hex doesnt recover at the same pace.
      Twitter: @Plotynus
    • I also want to stress that Mercs in PvE are highly recommended. They're excellent for tying together deck archetypes, and in turn, are really good at getting people to spend gold/plat on acquiring other key cards of those archetypes.

Changing Siege to an 'everybody wins' set-up (Or at least the gold side of it) would resolve one of the biggest issues that HEX is facing, which is the lack of PvE content. Making it so that attacking will reward gold upon success, and defending rewards gold upon being challenged, and more gold upon successfully defending and then skewing the chances in favour of the attacking side (By making the defending side use regular PvP champions and PvP valid sets, while giving attackers PvE champs and mercs and sets) will resolve that issue almost entirely. It will also greatly increase the value of cards that aren't fit for competitive play but are still fun to use, as they will finally see valuable employment.

Cycling the older sets back in would also be nice. At the moment, we're not missing out too much on big archetypes (Then again, prophecy and inspiration...) but later on, when stuff like conscription, illumination and verdicts start disappearing, that's going to hurt. Discontinued sets can be integrated as harder to attain rewards from PvE in the long term as well (Something akin to the relic system from Warframe could become -huge-).
    • 1. Suspend mail trade
      2. Introduce new currency
      3. Invalidate platinum for new pack purchases, can be used for event entry only
      4. Introduce expiration window for platinum, expired plat converts into gold at 1:200
      "Winning with terrormill is not fun? Try losing with it"
    • Plotynus wrote:

2) Make all the Merry Melee modes available for free

The schild's way to implement this (a special tab with a 0/2 queue for each one) it's the best way to quickly implement this. Allow us to play for free all those modes. No prizes, no entry fee. Let us play and that's all. Let us create some content on it. Stream it, watch it, discuss it. Again: TAKE THE FOCUS OUT OF THE OBVIOUS. We want to talk about cards, combos, broken things, not financial status of a company. We're gamers, not investors.

I know: If we're making those free, Hex will be losing money and now it's not the best time to do it.
      I have said this many times already but this would get at least 1 of my friends possibly 3 back in the game instantly and they would be spending just because they spend where they are which is currently not hex.

schild wrote:

my solution is to pester friends for an Artifact Beta Key.
      You will probably be disapointed the game really isn't very fun
    • There are some very nice ideas in this thread. Except for the free MM modes (which I would like to see) none of them should cost them much money.

Plotynus wrote:

1) Revamp the VIP program (this will increase the cash flow but might require some work)
      This is LONG overdue, and I don't think it would take a lot of development time to do.