Friday Update - A Few Words

• Vroengard wrote:

I'd have no problem giving HXE some money (nowhere close to what I was spending before) when (if) they show they have learned their lesson and show signs that they are working on things. Flashback draft while set 10 is delayed? 10$. Change to Kismet draft? 20$, especisally if I am missing some of the cards. MM is made free? A couple bucks more. We are allowed to use Immortal/PvE cards in Siege? I might try to get the equipment I held off from buying before.
      Hell if they show us they want to regularly talk to us, I'll start spending some again.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Oliver wrote:

Problem is without a change in monetization even Set 10 won't get much money in HexEnt pockets.
      With so many people already selling Set10 Packs at $0.9 to cash-out the set more or less will be bought with the platinum already in the system.
      Since they are in financial problems, they could sell Set 10 with $ only, and without plat purchases.
    • Coyote wrote:

What is infinitely funny to me is the way this was announced. Friday update like usual, Melee rotation, obligatory Clash and Bash and "Few words from Cory" in the end, like nothing serious is happening :D :D :D
      As nearly everybody in this thread has mentioned, ongoing communication is key. I would love for Cory to even post in this thread saying he hears us, he understands, and he will do better. That one simple step would generate so much goodwill.

He won't though. I've been burned by expectations from this crew too many times to even have hope anymore. I'm basically just here for closure at this point.
    • I'm sorry Corey, but cry me a river. You brought all of this on yourself. You had an expereienced publisher on your side, you left them. You made a KS more ambitious then you had the funds to make work. You put your head in the sand and refused to listen to the people who bank roll you. You refused to market your game to new players, and thus your player base isn't large enough to make the money needed to run the game. All of these wounds are self inflicted, avoidable, and have stripped you of any credibility in the gaming world you had left.

I can't imagine anyone believing in a project of yours anymore, and I won't spend a cent on your game, unless by some miracle you can clean up this mess. Even then my trust in HXE has eroded completely. I wish you would have the decency to say the game is dead, instead of trying to stoke up hope, in a hopeless situation. HEX will forever remain as a prime example of how not to run a card game/game in general. The worst thing about that, is that I love this game, I just can't stand who runs it.

*Patiently awaits dino to ban me for no reason again*
      -Signature deleted by Dino.- :P

The post was edited 1 time, last by Raptos ().

• Morwath wrote:

You can do it even faster in Hex via AH.
      I can't even think of a situation where this is even close to being a true statement unless the AH has changed drastically since I last dove into it. If you can show me how to post, sell, and receive fair Plat payment of every card I pulled in a draft in less than a minute I will send you everything I pull or win from my next week of drafts as thanks.
    • Mitthrawnuruodo wrote:

Morwath wrote:

I can't even think of a situation where this is even close to being a true statement unless the AH has changed drastically since I last dove into it. If you can show me how to post, sell, and receive fair Plat payment of every card I pulled in a draft in less than a minute I will send you everything I pull or win from my next week of drafts as thanks.
      I meant buying packs... but when you mention it, you never should be able to go infintie without selling stuff you've opened in packs.
    • Morwath wrote:

Mitthrawnuruodo wrote:

Portensio wrote:

Rendakor wrote:

It would be impossible to go infinite without engaging in the secondary market.
      and the problem is? Mtgo works thtat way.
      MTGO also allows you to engage the market by doing 30 seconds of direct trade with a bot in client. That makes a HUGE difference.
      No offense, but comparing the efficiency of the bot system of MTGO with the current implementation of the AH is just lol. I honestly cant think of a different word to describe the comparison.
    • I have to agree with a few posts.

* account leveling after level 20 becomes atrocious. Really its not fun.
      * Intro decks are really quite bad.
      * The formats are not explained if your not a serious CCG player you will not figure it out easily.
      * The game itself needs a better tutorial for new players.

Areas where things could be improved there are kid of obvious.
      * More ways to keep players playing passively.
      * Better Leveling / Rewards System.
      * Easier access to decks people can play ladder with.
      * Less seperation between pc, ps4 and hand helds when available.
      * Alternate formats to just sealed and standard would also help.
      * Additional cash revenue could be made with older sets as well. It might also explain the formats better if you had an option to select immortal sets standard sets in the pane when shopping.

Standard should be more regulated on card prices as well through preconstructed decks. The recient deck release was nice but still needs more frequent regulation like once a month adding 2 stardard decks for purchase would be good at just under tier 1 quality or trying to regulate standard prices for non alternate art cards to 750p or less would be a good idea. Would also boost more sales.

Additionally retooling some cards that see very very little play might also be a good idea. Especially when your talking rares/legendary cards just with minor changes.
    • Raptos wrote:

I can't imagine anyone believing in a project of yours anymore, and I won't spend a cent on your game, unless by some miracle you can clean up this mess. Even then my trust in HXE has eroded completely. I wish you would have the decency to say the game is dead, instead of trying to stoke up hope, in a hopeless situation. HEX will forever remain as a prime example of how not to run a card game/game in general. The worst thing about that, is that I love this game, I just can't stand who runs it.

*Patiently awaits dino to ban me for no reason again*
      that will be your loss then. Hex, even in its current state, has been even more fun that I expected it would. Sure I want more, but really, who doesn't? Everything cory (and crptozoic entertainment) has made has been great, though some of the gameplay on a few board games were not for me I still see how people would enjoy them. If you want to write all that off out of spite then suit yourself.
    • Sukebe, that post is absurd on it's face. You're surprised Magic is fun? Every licensed thing CZE has pushed out has been great?

Also, "They weren't for me but I can see how some people would enjoy them" literally means nothing.

Comeon, dude. Compliment where compliments are due, but don't be ridiculous.
    • Sad to hear that Hex is not in a sustainable state in its current form. I appreciate that @HEXCoryJones is still trying to make things happen when many would have just given up by now. I think at this stage the remaining resources need to be used to try a drastic new approach. A few ideas off the top of my mind on what could be done:

-Reduce set size and rollout timeline. These large set sizes full of draft chaff and useless cards need to be cut out at this point. Putting the cost and development time aside, we know that this model has failed to keep player interest beyond the initial release so it could end up working out even better in terms of business cash flow AND player interest if the change is executed properly. I'm thinking of slow roll out of cards on a bi weekly or so basis (we had a similar approach for Set 1 and I recollect it being a pretty fun time), which not only adds interesting cards that will influence the constructed meta, but also open up new limited strategies. This will also give R&D the room to print cards that the metas need in real time and reduce the pressure of printing out a huge balanced set in one fell swoop. This might also open up some neat story telling opportunities since cards release in a timeline fashion.

-Aim to release one new PvE dungeon per month. All the technology for dungeons should already be in there so you just need art and a designer. The new art will come from the slow release of the PvP set mentioned above, so this is a neat way to introduce new cards to the players by having AI decks built around them. This PvE love will win back some fans from that side of the game and keep them logging in. You can make a new Kismet Reverie pack per month and sell it on the store for platinum with a small chance of the pack also dropping from its dungeon.

-Remove micro monetization from modes like Siege and Merry Melee - this has just created a bad feeling towards the game when they should be doing the opposite and doesn't earn you guys nearly enough money to be worth it. Pick a few community members like CoachFlipperon/Nicosharp to design free static sieges that rotate so we don't always have those initial staff ones there.

-Go for easy crowd pleasing wins that don't cost you money. 1) Return the old easy FRA as an option 2) Allow people to challenge others with Wild West rules. 3) Bring EDH/Single'ton or whatever it is these people have been asking for years. At this point you want people to play your game, stop holding back modes people have asked for so much.

-Create a value-packed VIP deal and sell it in $. For example for 9.99$ per month, you get 3 packs, a draft ticket, an EVO ticket, a Kismet pack, a new sleeve, and permanent access to that month's new Merry Melee mode and some other goodies. Maybe tablet version comes out sometime and you can have a significant monetization in subscriptions based revenue by really focusing in on that angle. Afterall, the gameplay has always been great but people want to be able to keep up without going broke.

-Beyond anything, players should have confidence their digital sandbox isn't going away and there are some plans that even if development/new content slows down from time to time, they can still logon and play with their toys. If you can't give this confidence somehow, it's going to be tough for people to back you during this stretch.

With these moves, and an open/honest communication strategy - you might slowly start winning back hardcore fans that will fight for the success of your game instead of fighting against you. Good luck, and please don't forget there are many capable community members willing to help if you just allow them to.