Friday Update - A Few Words

• Pandaemonium wrote:

After reading the statement again I find it likely that what hex may try to do is spin off its brand. Could be physical goods of some sort or more things like the deck builder.
      gonna flat out say this would be stupid and crazy and i hope you're wrong

it's so stupid that I haven't even figured it into my occam's razor expectations of a possible future
    • schild wrote:

Pandaemonium wrote:

After reading the statement again I find it likely that what hex may try to do is spin off its brand. Could be physical goods of some sort or more things like the deck builder.
      gonna flat out say this would be stupid and crazy and i hope you're wrong
      it's so stupid that I haven't even figured it into my occam's razor expectations of a possible future
      What do you think they mean when they say expand as a publisher? Some useful incite rather than "edit" ______would be cool.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Pandaemonium ().

• Thrawn wrote:

Monday's Topdeck Radio will be the "Tough Love / Brutal Honesty" episode a few people have been pushing us for for a while now. Cory's statement provides us something physical to work from.

I also want to be absolutely clear that this episode is going to be a 1-off, "rip the band-aid off" episode. Let's get it all out there, and then move on, because to go over the same shit week after week wouldn't be entertaining or beneficial to anyone.

And Manifesto and I are figuring out what to do with the show moving forward when it looks like there's going to be little in the way of news to discuss for the forseeable future. I expect in some ways we'll be mixing up our format. Nothing to announce there as we don't have the answers yet.
      You could invite me and/or Schild and then there certainly would be no sugar coating :D .
      That being said it is probably a good idea not to do that.

@NeroJinous: Well said. I think that was what was going on. Until now there was always an out. There was always some way to sugar coat and make optimistic promises. But now for the first time he basically had to acknowledge the financial trouble they are in. Acknowledging failure/problems is one of the hardest things to do sometimes. Again though...that communication was necessary and please dont stop communicating now.
    • I just wanna say... I would love to see what craziness would ensue if we did a set 1-9 'crazy evo' period(like a week or so, wouldn't be good to do it for too long with how random it'd be). Sure, it'd be super rng... but it'd be a hilarious diversion.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Eraia wrote:

I just wanna say... I would love to see what craziness would ensue if we did a set 1-9 'crazy evo' period(like a week or so, wouldn't be good to do it for too long with how random it'd be). Sure, it'd be super rng... but it'd be a hilarious diversion.
      id love to see flashbacks in evo and draft, all past formats from 111 to current, rotating all 3 days ;)
      Austrian Kickstarter & Slacker Backer
      -=] Dont mess with the bull, you gonna get the horn [=-
    • HAVOC wrote:

PLEASE DO KISMET DRAFT... and to make it LOLS and fun... make it so ANY CARDS CAN SPAWN from ANY set :D (also easier to do since no need to specifically choose what is gonna be in the packs)
      And evo too. People who like Evo deserve fun too... and set 9 evo is WAY worse and way more stale than set 9 draft. :)
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • GobBluth wrote:

That's all folks. I've logged in four times in the last two days and each time the queue for draft has been no higher than 1/8. How in god's name do they expect to have a player base in two months?
      even whitesnake made a song regarding this issue...

Here I go again on my own
      Goin' down the only road I've ever known
      Like a DRAFTER I was born to walk alone
      An' I've made up my mind, I ain't wasting no more time...
      Austrian Kickstarter & Slacker Backer
      -=] Dont mess with the bull, you gonna get the horn [=-
    • Knightmare wrote:

From a purely selfish point of view, the longer I have to collect cards, chests and the gold with which to spin them (and my backlog of older chests) the better! If the pace didn't slow down a bit like this I was very much considering whether I need to give up and cash out. This extra breathing time will let me catch up a bit and keep me in the game :)
      I know that's probably an unpopular opinion to state, but i do agree with you, and i've always relished the delays in sets so i had more time to collect the current set's cards. Glad to hear I'm not alone in that thinking.
    • Good update, with honestly better news than anyone hoped to hear. Indications that work is continuing on Hex rather than being left to die is the middle road of the three options we were faced with (silent death, struggling but ongoing development, and acquisition by new publisher). Apparently it all hinges on whatever new expansion scheme is in the works now, and I'll be honest, that doesn't really inspire me with confidence anymore. But we'll see. Hex is still the game everyone wants, so if the development starts showing signs of the right direction, I bet it could have at least a minor resurgence.

Hope to hear more about these plans sooner than later, but I guess with the pace things are developing due to restricted income, it'd be better to tune out for a while and check back later.
      Old username: Aradon | Collector backer | Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulean Acadamy" -- Taking applications once guilds are implemented
    • Damascus wrote:

Plotynus wrote:

I really hope things works out well for HXE. But I'm not a fool, I will believe things can work out when I see that things are actually done to improve AND to pass this moment. 2 months of silence, set 10 and a big announcement in 3 or 4 months won't be enough, and the current weltanschauung of the community NEEDS to be addressed, as it's clearly demotivating the current players, any potential new one and I might want to bet that the mood at HXE also.
      Seconded... I haven't dropped any money on this game in months because of all this mystery surrounding the fate of things... I would probably go back to paying for things if I had some concrete knowledge that any money I put in wouldn't be effectively wasted pending some sort of shut down
      and this is exactly how a bad situation turns into the end of the game. while there may be a chance that the game will shut down (I don't think this is the case, but I suppose nothing is impossible) but not putting any money into the game will guarantee it.

I don't have a lot to spend but you can bet I will continue to spend my entertainment funds on Hex. If it goes down anyway then at least I will have enjoyed my time and I will know I did my part to keep the game I love afloat.
    • Oh, wow, I am super happy with two things.

1) I was 100% prepared to make a post addressing what I expected to be a thread full of negativity with "Guys, we already knew that. At least they are trying to do stuff and they finally talked about it. Admitting you have a problem is the first step". So, number 1, I am very happy that 99% of the people share the sentiment.

2) I am also very happy that HXE admitted they fucked up. I don't know what they're thinking of doing and, for once, I'm completely empty of ideas. I have a dozen suggestions regarding the game itself, some of them already put into the table by others (Kismet, Flashback, making the causal formats actually casual because 1$ for roullete is NOT how you want/can save your company) but actual business work is out of my league. Is it investors? Selling? Sharing? For once it's out of our hands and that's a relief.

Now, on the content of the announcement:

We already knew that this shit was going on for a couple months. There was 0 reason to withhold that long. HXE LOST MORE WITH THEIR ATTITUDE IN THE PAST 2 MONTHS than what they'd have lost by being upfront.

The set delayed because of the ART, when the price of the art is probably close to the bottom of the list from most to least expensive things to do when creating a new set is super worrying because if they don't even have the money for that, I don't know how they're gonna find the money to save anything.

As others have said ( @NeroJinous did, I believe, and I completely agree ) delaying Set 10 will do some harm, sure, but the release of Set 10 alone will not fix anything that is wrong with the game (which we finally have word from above that they acknowledge somethign IS wrong, though I'd have prefered they recognized in written that they are the ones to blame for it).

Finally, I'd like to strongly suggest that communication is not interrupted now that the channels have been restored. Once a week of biweekly is not too much to ask for a "Friday Update Update", right @HEXCoryJones ? No need to repeat the same mistake. Perhaps, in accordance with the above, you could give us your thoughts on what structural chagnes Hex must undergo in order to not close shop tomorrow. That's where the community can contribute with feedback.
    • I'm sorry but throwing good money after bad is not a smart decision. Hex is a business not a charity. You should be getting value from your money spent and if people do not feel they are getting value they should not spend. The time for spending for the future was during the KS and the early sets. We're too far in to throw money at them hoping it will yield a better product when we have seen how the game has been mismanaged for years.

edit: a word.

The post was edited 1 time, last by GobBluth ().

• GobBluth wrote:

I'm sorry but throwing good money after bad is not a smart decision. Hex is a business not a charity. You should be getting value from your money spent and if people do not feel they are getting value they should not spend. The time for spending for the future of during the KS and the early sets. We're too far in to just throw money at them hoping it will yield a better product when we have seen how the game has been mismanaged for years.
      The Kickstarter was a charity. Little is different now. You can pledge as much as you want. With the added benefit of being able to do some stuff in-game and even maybe have some fun, for an unknown amount of time.
    • Glad to hear something, anything from our Princess. It's not good news, but honesty is refreshing instead of silence.

I agree with everyone here that there are plenty of short term options HXE can do in order to bring in the cash needed to keep the lights on and get Set 10 out the door. Kismet, Flashback, etc. We're also going to need to keep hearing these updates from you guys every week; even if the news isn't great, communication is good for everyone.
    • This is amazing Cory. Don't let any negativism discourage you from addressing more on the state of the game. As for the news itself, I'm just relieved you guys are still committed to HEX and trying to keep the lights on no matter how badly the current state of the game seems to be. Understandably, it also mean there is a chance it might not work out and we're still going to be in deep shit. And to that, I can only wish you all at CZE well wishes in the coming months.
    • Hello Everyone,

I feel as a content creator and someone who loves this game as many of you do, I would give my input along with some suggestions.

1) Communication is great and I am sure this article was not easy to write Cory, however like the old saying goes "bad news doesn't get better with time" and I hope we see this improve. I know it may feel "scary" to fear the backlash, however if you look initially here in the forums and on twitter, the community is "glad" to hear something and especially if it comes from you.

2) Content is another issue atm, since you have acknowledged that revenue from set 9 is down. I will chime in with ideas (similar to ideas already mentioned) with some comments.
      • Flashback Drafts - Bring back either Set 1 & 2 or Set 3 & 4 drafts. This format would be a great change from the current limited format which seems to be punishing for new players and from my experience has not been received well. This would also allow players to build there collections to compete in the Immortal format as well as well as generate revenue from the pack purchases.
      • Flashback Evo - This would also be a great way to bring back an old set with a new format and would also be a way for players to collect cards for Immortal and generate revenue.
      • Roadmap - What is next for Hex and how do you get your community excited and keep playing your game? I know there are somethings you cant talk about due to either legal issues, or not ready to announce, but give us something. Tell us where you are with some of the features you have mentioned (tablet, xbox, pve, pvp, updates to UI, Auction house, etc.). Keep a running forum post with those updates and a status where we can reference them. Radio silence is not an option, as we have seen over the past few months.
      • Siege Mode - I am in a current love/hate relationship with this mode. I know you made a recent change to this mode with its currency, however I feel there is so much more that could be done here. Here are my thoughts.
        • Give defenders a reason to post challenging decks. Currently players who make challenging decks are sitting on 500 siege sacks and if they want to list new decks, they have to hope that someone takes them down, or withdraw and lose all their rewards. One suggestion would be give keeps a time limit (10 days to 14 days) and if they are not defeated the player can claim their rewards, and post new decks.
        • Increase the abilities for attackers, by either allowing them to reserve at the challenge screen before each match, or allow the deck building process to include immortal cards/champs.
        • Remove the 500 siege sack limit or increase it at a minimum.
        • Create a season for siege that would allow leader boards and track stats with most wins, highest siege sacks earned by players during that season etc. I know this is a pipe dream now, but this or feature like this could be implemented in the future.
      • Quality of Life - I feel like this is something that is talked about a lot and its for a good reason. Bug fixes, Auction House, Display issues etc need to be addressed in a more consistent manner. There are some known issues that haven't been addressed and have been "Broken" for far to long.
      3) The Delay for set 10 is something I was hoping wouldn't happen, but I felt in my gut that was going to happen. I have a crazy idea, and maybe its not going to work, but hear me out here. If the only thing you are waiting on is artwork assets, why not create in house "placeholder" artwork that could be later replaced with the normal artwork once funding is approved, and launch the set on time. I mean some of us remember the placeholder artwork for shattered destiny before it was released. See art here:
      Giant Mosquito
      Overtime Bot
      Furious Wrathbringer
      (Credit to Hacky for these photos).

Then when you have the art assets, swap the art with the "placeholder" artwork, and make the placeholder artwork the AA for the card. Heck even ask if any of the community members want to design some art, and have their artwork will become part of Hex History and have that "Cult" following that would be talked about for ages. I told you this was a crazy idea...

In the end, I love this game, our community and I believe that Hex can really do something special if given the right resources behind it. Communication is a two way street, and you have a lot of passionate players who continue to voice their opinions in order to try and help provide a better experience. Your "Customers" voices can be strong and loud sometimes and that may feel scary. However I fear the day when those voices stop saying anything at all.

Again these are just my thoughts.....

Snake
      Twitch Channel
      Twitter