Friday Update - A Few Words

• Thank you for telling the players. I really would prefer if I didnt have to get involved in any more of your business. I must also say even though new set releases is important for the health of a tcg I don't think set 10 should be your next priority. You have been using this tactic for years and it hasn't been successful. You need to understand as a card game hex is mechanically amazing, but as a video game it is near the bottom. Hex is missing a lot of necessary features to compete vs video games. Please dont bury your head in the sand anymore. I'm not even talking about pve and all those ks promised. I'm talk about hex the software. It is a resource hog. The individual items will always keep hex down. Clunky ah, etc. You aren't just selling a game you are selling software, and you need to accept the fact that as software hex is lacking or you will never be successful no matter how much money you borrow. On a side note not to put them down, but the few engineers you have aren't that amazing. Your best one is only about a 7-7.5/10 That wouldn't be a problem if you had a big enough engineering team, but you don't. So their lack of ability hurts your software more. You should either hire more or replace your current engineering team with 8-9/10's. It is actually one of the reasons hex is so far behind. You have a bunch of creative people with not enough people to make their ideas work. If you want to work with less people you really need the few you have to be good enough, which they aren't.
    • Communication is always better than no communication. I stand by that.
      So good on you for finally talking.

Sadly this basically confirms what I was thinking. The reason for the silence was that the situation is indeed dire and it is hard to sugar coat it.
      Cory basically acknowledges financial troubles. He acknowledges that set 9 isnt bringing in as much as they hoped for. Which is also an indirect acknowledgment of the low player numbers. The financial situation seems to be bad enough that they have not yet commissioned art for set 10 since they arent sure they can pay the artist in time. Which is something that happened with the last set already apparently (#artistgate).

The good news is that you feel obligated to pay out the last open cash prizes. People have been waiting for over 90 days already. I am also on the list of people who still have an open cash prize to receive. So I am glad you talked about it and glad that people will get their prizes.
      I hope though that everyone can agree now that the change from cash to plat wasnt due to some mysterious technical difficulty but because of lack of cash on hand.

As to the overall communication I hope you are not stopping now again. There is a big catalog of questions that people still want to be addressed. I understand that in most cases the answers wont be encouraging (like state of pve development) but I still think you should talk about it.
      Many things arent a problem of money/ressources but of wrong priorties/decisions. For starters you can finally make all merry melee modes be challengable to friends.

Last but not least you are making an ominous statement about expansion. Maybe a fusion with another studio or publisher. I understand you can not go into specifics. But thats basically were all hope has to rest now. Personaly I have a hard time believing in a good outcome but hope dies last and it is not dead yet.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Metronomy ().

• Metronomy wrote:

I hope though that everyone can agree now that the change from cash to plat wasnt due to some mysterious technical difficulty but because of lack of cash on hand.
      Not everything only has one reason. I genuinely believe there were a lot of legal issues they didn't anticipate when they started doing cash prizes. Because knowing people who have done finance/payroll/etc. for multinational companies... there ARE a lot of legal complications that comes to giving money out in different places around the world.

That being said, I also believe that the change was inspired by money problems as well.

It's rarely as clear cut as some of us would like to think.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Actual communication.

Although it is short and maybe to talk about sad matters, it is greatly welcome.

See how a few words, even about bad news, are avidly listened, commented, and immediatly lift up the mood around this forum ( can't talk for the rest, less vocal, part of the community afterall ) ?

Thank you Cory, Dino, and all the others, for reinitiating dialogue with a community who is in a dire need of it right now.
      Awaiting the Doomwalker's arrival in Entrath since the Beta.

" Honey, where's my chaos key ?
      - Have you searched in your chaos coat ?
      - Shoot I left it in the chaos car... "

... Still be waiting for a while it seems ...
    • THANK YOU for talking to us Cory.

It really sucks that set 10 will be delayed by 10 months, but it feels like given the circumstances you cant help it atm.

But having a set every 6 months now gives us more time to focus on pve!

Interested to hear what the expanding the company will turn into.
    • Ksetrat wrote:

As others have voiced. Flashback or Kismet draft returns would be a great way to mix things up. Potentially even bring in some revenue.
      In light of actual communication, I think I'll be positive and polite in this post.

Limited participation is obviously at a low point right now. Seconding Ksetrat's post - Is there any chance of getting a Flashback or Kismet format? The last time we flipped to a Kismet format is was too early in the life of an even number set. People were still far away from finishing playsets only opening 2 packs of the set per draft instead of 3. Right now we're in the opposite situation - its later in the set's life cycle and we'll still be cracking open packs from this set months after set 10 releases.

So..... please?

I just want to be able to log in and play hex. Not log in and sit in a queue all night.
    • The drop didn't happen with set 9 alone, and delaying set 10 is hardly going to help as it is a necessary condition for the main spenders to start spending again.

Main takeaway: Set 10 not confirmed, artwork yet to be commissioned. Regular set releases are no longer a thing.
      "Winning with terrormill is not fun? Try losing with it"
    • Hello. Hi. People. Please stop messaging me saying Cory opened his mouth.

AND NOW A WORD FROM OUR SPONSORS. Me. Or something.

1. Fucking hell, Cory. How hard was that. Honesty. Whew. That's like tossing 500 spider monkeys off your back. Do more of that. You don't have enough money. Cool. That shit happens with small companies. Be up front about it next time instead of going silent. As you have probably noticed, media blackout was literally the dumbest possible decision to make. But hey, "open packs" was complicated too. Snide remarks aside, thank you for posting. Do more of that. It doesn't cost you anything.

2. Set 10 is delayed. Fine. Whatever. BRING BACK SET 2 DRAFT OR SET 3. BRING BACK SOMETHING PEOPLE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH CARDS FOR. MAYBE 2, 3, 5. HELL, DO CHAOS DRAFT. RANDOM PACKS ON ENTRY.

3. I repeat, for the thousandth time, make merry melee a casual thing and fix EDH. Again, this shit doesn't cost you anything you aren't already paying for.

4. Anyone who is mad at you for being honest deserves a kick in the dick. Of course, I'm taking this all at face value and maybe you're still lying, but regardless, I'm glad you're doing whatever you're doing. Well, that said, I have no idea what you're doing since set 10 is done and art acquisition is a financial bottleneck.

5. Can you please lend Chris Woods to me for a day. I will buy you a gift card to In N Out Burger and promise not to tell you how Shake Shack and Whataburger is better.

anyway, crawl outta your hole and get your shit together, the hard part is done
    • Metronomy wrote:

Last but not least you are making an ominous statement about expansion. Maybe a fusion with another studio or publisher. I understand you can not go into specifics. But thats basically were all hope has to rest now. Personaly I have a hard time believing in a good outcome but hope dies last and it is not dead yet.
      hello

i've been in this EXACT situation twice

there's no shame in what's going on there, if that was honestly what's happening, it's not ominous, and likely a good thing

i really hope it's an acquisition and not expansion or merger though

for uh reasons

Also, @NeroJinous, if you were involved with getting him to talk, fine. But goddamn dude, you gotta chill out. You're making me look like, totally normal and at the edge of white knight, and that's ridiculous.
    • hmm, im fine with the words, its better as expected tbh, at least if those are true words...

There is still hope, also id ask the community to offer free art or use old ones (reprint art), it would be fine with me.

But overall this situation remains ultra risky..
      Austrian Kickstarter & Slacker Backer
      -=] Dont mess with the bull, you gonna get the horn [=-
    • schild wrote:

Metronomy wrote:

hello
      i've been in this EXACT situation twice

there's no shame in what's going on there, if that was honestly what's happening, it's not ominous, and likely a good thing

for uh reasons

Also, @NeroJinous, if you were involved with getting him to talk, fine. But goddamn dude, you gotta chill out. You're making me look like, totally normal and at the edge of white knight, and that's ridiculous.
      No I don't make people do things. I just make them suffer till they do the right thing or die. It is their choice how they live. I'm proud of Cory for his honesty. There a many mistakes he is still making, but I know it takes a lot to post what he did.
    • Monday's Topdeck Radio will be the "Tough Love / Brutal Honesty" episode a few people have been pushing us for for a while now. Cory's statement provides us something physical to work from.

I also want to be absolutely clear that this episode is going to be a 1-off, "rip the band-aid off" episode. Let's get it all out there, and then move on, because to go over the same shit week after week wouldn't be entertaining or beneficial to anyone.

And Manifesto and I are figuring out what to do with the show moving forward when it looks like there's going to be little in the way of news to discuss for the forseeable future. I expect in some ways we'll be mixing up our format. Nothing to announce there as we don't have the answers yet.
      Watch Dungeon Masters of Entrath - The HEX Gameshow! Wednesday 8pm EST
      I am ThrawnOmega on Xbox Live, Twitter, Steam, and Twitch.
      Forum Avatar by @tfa_96 on Twitter.
    • It's nice to hear some real talk. I don't think it's news any of us wanted to hear, but it's news we needed to hear. And we needed to hear it from Cory. It's a good first step towards rebuilding what Hex has lost, BUT YOU ARE NOT OUT OF THE WOODS YET. Normally I would say "Please" keep communicating with us, but I'm past the point of asking. KEEP communicating with us. Even if it's not rainbows and unicorns, just be straight with us. That will get you more goodwill with the remaining community than anything else I can think of at the moment.

There are a lot of suggestions in this thread about what Hex should do. They are all really good ones, and ones that have been brought up over and over in the past. Since we are in triage mode now, let me just list my personal top three that will get me spending on this game again to help it pull through:

1. Communication. You HAVE to keep talking to us. Not just one off updates, but real substantial info. If you go back into radio silence, I'm out. If you have no real substantial info, talk to us more about upcoming features/dungeons/roadmap/plans/fears. Ask us for feedback and then USE that feedback. Anything you can do to engage with us as much as possible would be directly beneficial to your bottom line. Don't shun the last remaining bastion of goodwill you have to support this game. I get that you need to grow the game and playerbase, but how about using this delay to improve your retention as well?

2. Flashbacks. It seems that this wouldn't be too much of a technical hurdle since it's been done previously. With an estimated two month delay, how about utilizing content you've already created again? I'm think a 1 week rotation for each old set (1 week of set 1, 1 week of set 2, etc). There should be very little engineering/development time needed, and I'm sure my nostalgia would induce me to open my wallet for it.

3. Communication. Are you sensing a theme here? The "stone me if you want" thread started as a pve thread. It evolved into us begging you to talk to us. You ignored it and now look where things are. KEEP TALKING TO US.

By going silent this community has fallen apart, and it used to be the best one I've ever been a part of. I don't want this to sound harsh, but PLEASE stop trying to trailblaze things that aren't going to work. Please just listen to us, your already paying customers, and focus on the things we are bringing your attention to. Send out surveys if you need to. Live Stream. AMA. Anything that shows you actually care what we have to say. This game is hanging by a thread, HELP US HELP YOU.
    • NeroJinous wrote:

schild wrote:

Metronomy wrote:

helloi've been in this EXACT situation twice

for uh reasons

No I don't make people do things. I just make them suffer till they do the right thing or die. It is their choice how they live. I'm proud of Cory for his honesty. There a many mistakes he is still making, but I know it takes a lot to post what he did.
      it takes nothing to make a statement like that, that's what made almost everyone here angry in the first place

this is america, land of the free (CURRENT ADMINISTRATION NOTWITHSTANDING), home of brutal capitalism

companies die due to management malfunction every single day

his story is NOT UNIQUE
    • schild wrote:

NeroJinous wrote:

schild wrote:

Metronomy wrote:

helloi've been in this EXACT situation twice

for uh reasons

it takes nothing to make a statement like that, that's what made almost everyone here angry in the first place
      this is america, land of the free (CURRENT ADMINISTRATION NOTWITHSTANDING), home of brutal capitalism

companies die due to management malfunction every single day

his story is NOT UNIQUE
      Sometimes pride is stronger than anything else. Cory is a proud man. Yes the action cost him nothing, and is "easy" to do, but to get to that action he has to get over himself at least a little first. Something people like him are not good at.