A point of view

• Firellius wrote:

Goliathus wrote:

HotS copies too much from DotA, which is why it fails to be big. Again, why the F would people leave DotA for a game so similar? People don't and HotS is half-dead. There you go, an example that carbon clone don't work too well. A ton of examples can also be found for WoW clones. LoL is different. It's MOBA like DotA2 but different. It's more casual-friendly, has bush(as you said so, DotA doesn't have it) and the biggest difference from DotA, in which I have a fairly long debate with a DotA player in another forum few years ago, is the emphasis on jungle and neutral map objective. There is only Roshan in DotA, whereas in LoL the team have to stick together and compete for things like Dragon from a rather early phase of the game. Jungler is essential in LoL but I don't believe it is in DotA, at least when I played back when it's a WC3 mod, jungler is not an absolute role. Item management and micro management is also more important in DotA than LoL. One can control multiple units in DotA where as LoL is just a single unit with AI controlling the minions for you. I also find LoL to be more "duel intensive" than DotA, like it has a more of a "MMO PVP duel" feel at times. A Riven vs Yasuo duel can be very micro intensive on the mouse and need reflex to play well whereas DotA has more emphasis on slamming 1 key skill at a key time in a group fight and so on, but the 1v1 duel is never as button and micro intensive as LoL. Sure, one can dodge skill in DotA with blink move, but LoL seems to have a lot more of those moments from what I have seen. DotA's heroes movement are also slower than LoL in my experience. Still, DotA is the harder game to master because of all the niche knowledge one has to learn to be good whereas LoL has streamlined all of the little details. Smite, I have limited experience but from what I see, it is very different albeit being a MOBA.
      HotS is further away from DotA than LoL is. Especially with LoL's current state.
      And it's not doing poorly, as far as I know. It's not the biggest name on the scene, but it's one of the four, and I'd say it's competing well with SMITE, if not overtaking it. The major reason it's not as big is because the noisiest aspect of MOBAs, the tournament level competitive side, is not focused on in HotS. It's got a much more generous design geared towards more casual, laid back play. It doesn't make a lot of noise, but I'm pretty sure it's pretty successful in its own right.

In regards to the 'clone vs. something different' debate, @PointerToVoid and @Eraia , I think one of the most damning pieces of evidence is the other MOBA that people apparently don't remember anymore: Heroes of Newerth.

That is legitimately a DotA clone, and that's probably also why it barely registers on the market anymore.

EDIT: According to Superdata, HotS blows SMITE out of the water with a playerbase of 6.5 million. (Versus SMITE's 2 million)
      Okay, I must admit that all the shortforms got me confused. I was talking about HoN, not Blizzard's HotS.
    • Eraia wrote:

There are a limited number of people interested in the MTG style TCG.

Vroengard wrote:

Ahahahaha, oh, wow...
      Yeah, we've seen how much you PvPers are LOVING the game and playing so much. We've seen (1) how well (2) the game's going (3) since we felt PvE was abandoned (4) when you (4) had to pick up the pace (5) and everything HXE did (6) was PvP-centric (7). HXE is doing rather fine (8) with that plan. /s (9)
      You win. I'm done. Take it easy.
    • Goliathus wrote:

Okay, I must admit that all the shortforms got me confused. I was talking about HoN, not Blizzard's HotS.
      Ah that makes a lot more sense than HotS. There were a bunch of other MOBAs that tried to be big too that most people don't even remember ever existed. There was a Lord of the Rings based one on consoles way back when for example.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • PointerToVoid wrote:

Eraia wrote:

There are a limited number of people interested in the MTG style TCG.

Vroengard wrote:

Ahahahaha, oh, wow...
      Yeah, we've seen how much you PvPers are LOVING the game and playing so much. We've seen (1) how well (2) the game's going (3) since we felt PvE was abandoned (4) when you (4) had to pick up the pace (5) and everything HXE did (6) was PvP-centric (7). HXE is doing rather fine (8) with that plan. /s (9)
      You win. I'm done. Take it easy.
      Walking away is NOT how conversation or even argument works :P
      Sorry I was slightly harsh, but you did shit on PvE players.
    • Vroengard wrote:

Rendakor wrote:

You are far from alone. As an easy example, the PVP KS tiers sold out much quicker than their PVE equivalents. The PVE-ers on the forums are just vocal and bitter, perhaps justifiably so, because they never got the game they were promised.
      Ahahahaha, oh, wow...

Need I remind you that people were buying Slaughtergear cards for 35 USD a piece? That's almost as high as Vampire King, the most expensive regular art PvP card and higher than Bride of the damned.
      Did I say PVPers were loving the game? No, but thanks for putting words in my mouth. HXE hasn't delivered anything for casual PVPers (EDH, kitchen table, free MM), and has arguably made things worse for certain brands of competitive PVPers (removal of pod draft, standard gauntlet). The fact that they aren't doing good things for PVE does not automatically mean they're doing good things for PVP.
    • Vroengard wrote:

Walking away is NOT how conversation or even argument works
      Sorry I was slightly harsh, but you did shit on PvE players.
      Okay you managed to bring me back for a moment to fix something (I heard about Cory's announcement from Reddit and I thought I'd peak at the forums to see what the community was saying):

If I left you (or anyone else) with the impression that I was trashing PvE players then that's my bad and I am sorry. That was not my intent.