A point of view

    • Swigmonkey wrote:

      Opalia wrote:

      Art for first HEX set costed more than one mill $ Cory told this in the pree alpha interview too.
      That isn't even remotely believable. Art is one of the cheapest things you can find. I find it hard to believe they paid over 1k per art piece. ( I think the math would but it at nearly 2k, MTG doesn't pay that well - 400-600 avg, and ~1200 for more established names) If they paid more than 400-500 each piece they threw money away.
      this is incorrect mtg pays their established artists about 2k for each piece
    • Insanctus wrote:

      Just to throw in some numbers, according to TCGBrowser Set 1 had:
      316 Cards (including champions)
      15 Chests drops (cards and mercs)
      9 Wheels of Fate drops (cards and mercs)
      -> 385

      but let's not forget:
      3 Wheels of Fate sleeves
      3 Primal Chest sleeves
      17 Kickstarter sleeves (if you want to count them in)
      -> 408

      then we have equipment:
      102 Chest drops
      6 Wheels of Fate drops
      Even if we count those equipment icons as 1/4th of a card art we have a total of 435 which would break down to around 2300 per art piece.


      Did I forget anything big aside from release celebration and VIP stuff or has art really been this expensive?
      there is also unused art dungeon backgrounds, talent icons and probably some other stuff. I'm not saying that makes the math add up I just like information to be as correct as possible.
    • Yes because the exact math down to the dollar is what matters, not all the other issues at hand. ;)

      You're arguing about whether or not the silverware is in the right order on the dinner tables while the Titanic sinks. :P
      --ossuary

      "Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
      - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well
    • Ossuary wrote:

      You're arguing about whether or not the silverware is in the right order on the dinner tables while the Titanic sinks.
      Scientist 1: This was truly a disaster. I can't imagine what this people went through in their final moments...
      Scientist 2: Yeah... I heard drowning is a pretty bad way to g--
      Scientist 1: Wait! Pull the submersible back a foot. Did they put the forks on the right side of the plates!? These bastards deserved to die!
    • The following information I have gather from internet - so there might be some minor mistakes.

      Before setting up his own company Cory worked for Blizard untill 2010 doing the WoW TCG. I think he was one of main developers of Wow TCG.
      I dont think Wow TCG did so well so Blizard stoped makeing the TCG themself and Cory got the licens to make Wow TCG in 2010.
      In 2013 Cory gave up the license to Wow tcg.
      From Cory set up his company in 2010 he started he started to work on HEX with a few staff.
      At 2013 Cory had a working demo - it was likely full of bugs but still he had some show people.
      In 2013 Cory was also runing out of money so he went to 50 different groups of people to get some investers.
      Everybody turned Cory and HEX down.

      Then at a last try he went for a kickstarter asking for 300k $ which Cory thougth was enogth to finish HEX.

      As we all know he got 2,3M $ at kickstart. After seeing how succesfull the kicksterter have gone many wanted invest in HEX.
      Cory also got interviewed for television. In the periode after kickstarter and before Alpha there was so much hype about HEX.
      Cory talk about HEX is going to take a big part of the multi billoin $ TCG market.
      Other game like MtG and Heardstone would have to come and fight HEX if they wanted to stay in busssness - so superion was HEX going to be.
      I think some people thougth HEX was the new WotC.
      Cory also talked about having a convention in Las vegas with 10000 - 20000 HEX fans flyinmg in from all over the world.
      In some way Cory acted like a fool who have won 2M $ - they is why I think he spend over a mill $ on art just for set 1 of HEX.
      At this time HEX also too had a big staff of 50+ people.

      There was a kind of mania at HEX after kickstaret that led to a big waste of money imo.

      Cory said many times he is no programmer - he just get the idears and have clever US people to code everything.
      That is also an expensive way to make computer games.

      The post was edited 2 times, last by Opalia ().

    • Opalia wrote:

      Cory said many times he is no programmer - he just get the idears and have clever US people to code everything.That is also an expensive way to make computer games.
      This here is one of the big factors why Hex fails IMO. When you ain't a programmer, hire a project manager or a senior programmer to monitor progress. The horrible coding speed is a huge reason why we have so little stuff in five years. A programmer would have understand it's too goddarn slow and look for solutions.

      Edit: And also, if Cory is actually looking for investor now, good luck, you ain't finding one just like five years ago and not even the public is likely to help you this time with how this game is on Steam and PS4. Good luck.
    • VargrBoartusk wrote:

      That being said given the nature of a lot of posts in both demanding. entitled. or often downright mean, rude, or obviously insulting tomes tones recently I don't really want to post even when I agree totally with what you're saying.
      Well, we *are* entitled to things that have been paid for and not delivered after years. So, some demanding seems appropriate in my opinion. Remember, Hex didn't fund itself to get things off the ground, *we* did, based on promises that were made.

      Mean and rude is probably not justified, but it's very understandable why these emotions come out of people.
    • I have neither interest nor inclination towards defending most of the companies recent business decisions. They've been objectively awful.
      As a customer you have a right to be upset if you aren't getting what you want and as a consumer the way you express that right is to leave and take your business elsewhere, weather it's One's first time there or they've been going for years... If this wasn't the internet and it was a restaurant for example and a person chose to dress down the waitress call her a stupid twat and suggest the cook was retarded they'd be out of line. Sure you could do it, you could also drink gasoline. Neither one is exactly the best course of action. If they chose not to serve you it would be your own damn fault.
      The line between justifiably upset and disgustingly petty has been crossed by a lot of people on the forums. Once people start making it personal they lose the any right to expect continued dialog. On top of that It's tacky and makes someone look unreasonable which is less then helpful if you have valid points to make because it obfuscates the good points with bullshit.
      Hex is totally 100% fucking up with it's communication. They just currently aren't the people fucking it up the worst.
    • VargrBoartusk wrote:

      I have neither interest nor inclination towards defending most of the companies recent business decisions. They've been objectively awful.
      As a customer you have a right to be upset if you aren't getting what you want and as a consumer the way you express that right is to leave and take your business elsewhere, weather it's One's first time there or they've been going for years... If this wasn't the internet and it was a restaurant for example and a person chose to dress down the waitress call her a stupid twat and suggest the cook was retarded they'd be out of line. Sure you could do it, you could also drink gasoline. Neither one is exactly the best course of action. If they chose not to serve you it would be your own damn fault.
      The line between justifiably upset and disgustingly petty has been crossed by a lot of people on the forums. Once people start making it personal they lose the any right to expect continued dialog. On top of that It's tacky and makes someone look unreasonable which is less then helpful if you have valid points to make because it obfuscates the good points with bullshit.
      Hex is totally 100% fucking up with it's communication.
      I agree 100% with this part of your post but I disagree with the last sentence because I think they are.

      I can understand and I also share the frustration of many people here but there really isn't any advantage in repeating time and time again the same concerns and issues people were discussing for years now. Pretty much everyone in the community got it and Hex probably never gets it right, also because they just don't have the resources.

      To me, this game feels dead. And I write "feels" because this is just my perception. I haven't actively played it for about a month now and it is very unlikely that I will ever come back to play a lot. That's a real shame because the gameplay itself was really good but I am so annoyed by the AH, constant crashing of the client (I got kicked out twice in my last Clash and lost round 4 because of that), and the instability of currencies and prices that I just can't take this any longer. And I don't even get started on the communication again. We talked about it, it's terrible. It makes me very sad that the game has become like this, especially because I have like 20-30 mercenary and campaign deck ideas that I wanted to test like the infinite charges/pings cleric dwarf but this will never happen.

      I would compare this game to a close friend who just died from a serious illness and I have seen similar comparisons in the forums. Would you have tried to spend as much time as you can with that person and be sad after the inevitable has happened or would you continously complain about the illness or even bs like the quality of the hospital's coffee? Being sad/pissed but moving on at some point seems like the better idea to me and I feel like some people have missed the right point to do so.
    • Vroengard wrote:

      @VargrBoartusk Your intention is good but your argument is bullshit. You are equating different things.

      A person choosing to dress down the waitress etc is different from one going to the restaurant's FB or Twitter and bash them.

      We are not following Cory around or throw eggs and t.p. at the HXE offices.
      Some posters seem to be obsessed enough to be on the verge of cyberstalking and cybervandalism. At this digital age, it is not that different from the real thing.
    • Vroengard wrote:

      A person choosing to dress down the waitress etc is different from one going to the restaurant's FB or Twitter and bash them.
      TIL Cory would be a waitress if hexent was a hotel.

      Wait, no - he wouldn't be.

      Cory would be more like this guy - the left one - in a hotel. (just googled the scene - can't watch it)


      The best future i can see for Hex is it getting sold and continued by another company.
      Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.
      • Commisioner Pravin Lal - Alpha Centauri
    • AceBladewing wrote:

      GryphonGardens wrote:

      Some posters seem to be obsessed enough to be on the verge of cyberstalking and cybervandalism. At this digital age, it is not that different from the real thing.
      I haven't seen evidence of this kind of behavior.
      This is why communication helps. We are a composite of very different individuals who want different things from the game. Some people have put a large chunk of time and money into the game and want their voices heard .

      Without proper guidance/communication we just start eating each other and I see that kind of behavior more and more. The 3 people who are like that are going to do it regardless (I bet everyone can name a few). But right now people seem to be much more negative to each other.
    • VargrBoartusk wrote:

      I have neither interest nor inclination towards defending most of the companies recent business decisions. They've been objectively awful.
      As a customer you have a right to be upset if you aren't getting what you want and as a consumer the way you express that right is to leave and take your business elsewhere, weather it's One's first time there or they've been going for years... If this wasn't the internet and it was a restaurant for example and a person chose to dress down the waitress call her a stupid twat and suggest the cook was retarded they'd be out of line. Sure you could do it, you could also drink gasoline. Neither one is exactly the best course of action. If they chose not to serve you it would be your own damn fault.
      The line between justifiably upset and disgustingly petty has been crossed by a lot of people on the forums. Once people start making it personal they lose the any right to expect continued dialog. On top of that It's tacky and makes someone look unreasonable which is less then helpful if you have valid points to make because it obfuscates the good points with bullshit.
      Hex is totally 100% fucking up with it's communication. They just currently aren't the people fucking it up the worst.
      Let's take this to a more appreciable example.

      Me, a bunch of my friends and family, and some people I casually know go to a restaurant. We sit at different tables, order different dishes, and every single dish either doesn't come out at all, takes hours to be served, or is served significantly under or overcooked... and we ask to speak to the manager. We then advise the manager of that situation and make the conclusion that 'your kitchen staff have absolutely no idea what they're doing and shouldn't be preparing food for human consumption'... we would be well in line.

      If the manager then told us that 'he didn't care how the food came out and that customers had no right to discuss the cook's skills', we would be entirely in the right to be absolutely furious with the manager for his poor communication skills, and he would deserve anything we said at that point.(well just about anything anyways... obviously things like threats or the like would never be justified)
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

      Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Eraia wrote:

      VargrBoartusk wrote:

      I have neither interest nor inclination towards defending most of the companies recent business decisions. They've been objectively awful.
      As a customer you have a right to be upset if you aren't getting what you want and as a consumer the way you express that right is to leave and take your business elsewhere, weather it's One's first time there or they've been going for years... If this wasn't the internet and it was a restaurant for example and a person chose to dress down the waitress call her a stupid twat and suggest the cook was retarded they'd be out of line. Sure you could do it, you could also drink gasoline. Neither one is exactly the best course of action. If they chose not to serve you it would be your own damn fault.
      The line between justifiably upset and disgustingly petty has been crossed by a lot of people on the forums. Once people start making it personal they lose the any right to expect continued dialog. On top of that It's tacky and makes someone look unreasonable which is less then helpful if you have valid points to make because it obfuscates the good points with bullshit.
      Hex is totally 100% fucking up with it's communication. They just currently aren't the people fucking it up the worst.
      Let's take this to a more appreciable example.
      Me, a bunch of my friends and family, and some people I casually know go to a restaurant. We sit at different tables, order different dishes, and every single dish either doesn't come out at all, takes hours to be served, or is served significantly under or overcooked... and we ask to speak to the manager. We then advise the manager of that situation and make the conclusion that 'your kitchen staff have absolutely no idea what they're doing and shouldn't be preparing food for human consumption'... we would be well in line.

      If the manager then told us that 'he didn't care how the food came out and that customers had no right to discuss the cook's skills', we would be entirely in the right to be absolutely furious with the manager for his poor communication skills, and he would deserve anything we said at that point.(well just about anything anyways... obviously things like threats or the like would never be justified)
      And if you took your responses to the levels of being insulting and rude attacking his character, questioning his morality and calling him a terrible manager the next time you came in when you asked to speak with the manager he would be justified in saying no I won't speak to them. When people stop acting with civility, which they have every right to do, they lose the high ground of complaining when people don't wish to keep talking with them. Anyone who wants to be an asshole is completely within their rights. If the amount of people who've blocked me on social media is any indicator I can almost guarantee I'm more guilty of it then most people but I don't get to be upset when as a result people stop dealing with me because I'm an asshole.