Frost Ring Arena - Lost for no obvious reason

• Frost Ring Arena - Lost for no obvious reason

Playing a constants based deck.

In a match against burly botanist elite, I'd managed to stop the AI's life gain around 200 points and had whittled it down to around half that. Had 20 or so constants in play along with a couple of twilight eclipses, a Halls of Kukatan, and a Taste of Defeat (in sacrifice mode).

Passed turn to AI and waited for it to generate its mountain of tapped shroomkin. While waiting I glanced away for a second or two at most and looking back, I see that the game has gone into a 'you lost' screen.

The output_log just before the time I got the game over displayed a warning for TEXCACHE having a texture count of 570.

AI likely had around 600 or 700 cards in its grave.

Did a search for similar issues here and didn't see anything obvious. A little upset that my undefeated run appears to have been caused by a timeout when I certainly was not idle or by managing to hold an army of 1/1s at bay by having them be tapped every turn.

Thoughts? Need a copy of the output_log? Not sure if anything needs to be stripped from it for security / privacy reasons before I post it publicly.
    • Since you mention "waiting for the AI to generate its mountain of tapped shroomkin", you probably hit the infinite loop trigger.
      Essential if the engine is still continuously processing a chain of events without giving the player priority, then after the number of events exceeds a particular threshold, or a certain amount of time has passed processing those events, the engine comes to the conclusion that the game is in an infinite loop, and that the chain of events is never going to end. In this scenario, under the assumption that the game will never finish, it randomly chooses a winner, and ends the game.
    • If that's the case, shouldn't there be some extra logic for these checks?

The AI's life total was steadily decreasing turn over turn for the past four or so.

The number of tokens created each turn was not static either as they increased due to the additional constants I'd put into play.

If the logic for the burly botanist can't handle a valid deck strategy, specifically one successfully utilizing something it tries to take advantage of -> constants, maybe that opponent should be removed until its ability to detect an actual infinite loop is more reliable? Doesn't make sense to punish the player for the system failing to do its job properly.
    • It really doesn't take that much to cause a forced loss. It's been a long time since I actually created an infinite loop; I've learned better. But I like building decks that have engines that make numbers go big, and this usually causes a forced loss.

I've had an "infinite loop" forced loss with a prophecy deck. I was bouncing Wakuna Crowfeather + coyotle it prophesied in and out of play. It was by no means infinite, but I got a single coyotle to have an absurd number of triggers. This huge stream of prophecy triggers, while pretty, forced a loss.

I've done it with Replica Reinforcements + multiples of Ritualist of the Spring Litter. Creating oodles of Shin'hare from Replica Reinforcements forced a loss.

I don't know the exact number, but any time there is a some large number of repeating triggers, even if it is neither infinite nor even taking that long, the game forces a premature resolution.
    • Interesting i never saw this while creating 400 visage a turn so either its new/newly bugged or you created more triggers than that. It does take a hell of a lot of time to process tho so is timer a issue?

Either way in pve these should clearly always be in the players favor its not like its easily abusable.
    • Wolzarg wrote:

Interesting i never saw this while creating 400 visage a turn so either its new/newly bugged or you created more triggers than that. It does take a hell of a lot of time to process tho so is timer a issue?

Either way in pve these should clearly always be in the players favor its not like its easily abusable.
      The shin'hare with Replica Reinforcements was getting to the point where it took several minutes to spawn all the shin'hare (but still less than 5 min), so it's reasonable that the game would force-quit that game.

The recent (last week) prophecy force-quit confused me though. There was nothing else on the board that would have killed me from playing a coyotle, so it was definitely a force-quit. It would only have been about 50 Crowfeather Triggers at most.