FRA - Difficulty levels

• FRA - Difficulty levels

A little discussion was on this in the Warden chat, but I do not see that something along these lines has been posted previously. If I missed the thread, my apologies. It may have been too far in the past and necroing a post is not my goal.

FRA is still fun for me and I hope others as well, but a new player may shy away from the challenge.

Concept; 'difficulty level' ranks.

potential;
      Easy - lower rewards both in gold, and a smaller pool of loot otherwise. No battle will have the 'Elite' tag.
      Standard - how we know it today.
      Elite - All battles are elite. Gold boost, prize pool has increased chance of the 'rare' and up level equipment.
      Hogarth Hates You - Endless gauntlet. boss pool expanded to include 'Retired' fights, potential to have bosses from AZ battles appear? Reward structure scales slightly how we know it today, with potential 'double loot' from bosses the further you get. Elite battles appear more frequently in later runs and 'tier' boss fights can be at any point. Dragons chance increased slightly. Unsure if AZ boss fights would drop AZ based loot, while an interesting concept, may take testing. Oh, and those challenges do not remove a loss strike. ever. :evil: slight tweaks to the decks of the battles may be beneficial. I wonder if some of the MM battle tech for R.O.I.D may work for randomized battles too.

Obviously, the above is just a rough draft outline, but does have quite the potential to be utilized. I understand that the interface allowing for these selections may take a little work, perhaps bringing back the retired ones may be difficult.

Something like the above also still keeps the 'concept of progress' a player experiences. going through and getting to HHY Tier 50 would be quite a task, and a great sense of accomplishment to whomever gets that far. Potentially having additional cosmetic items for milestones in HHY would be cool. A frosted coin for flip, a battleboard or two.

Would this be a fun, bad, awesome or nightmare? I think it would be a lot of fun if implemented.
    • Is funny you made this topic :) I sent off a doc to the relevant floobers just the other day outlying some of the stuff I think HexEnt could do quite easily and one of them was adding difficulty settings to FRA.

However, my solution uses the existing (already coded) event system where Hogarth appears and triggers the special events during matches. All that would be required is to program a list of say 20 possible events he can trigger (similar to how he will give opponent mastery of time or oracle song) and make it random when he appears instead of pre-set.

Then depending on the level of difficulty selected at the start of the run, Hogarth will appear randomly throughout your run (at the moment I think he only appears 3 times?)...

So easy mode could be what we have now... medium could be 6 appearances... hard 10-12... INSANE - EVERY MATCH :D

Then over time that list of 20 possibilities can be added to... eventually reaching 30... 40... who knows!

Thus increasing replayability a lot!

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE!

You could then add this to the campaign, but instead of Hogarth appearing to trigger random events from the list, you have Kismet appear :)

This would be a good starting point at the very least... and THEORETICALLY the best bang for buck in terms of time/resources spent.

Twitch —— YouTube —— Twitter —— Steam —— Patreon

The post was edited 3 times, last by HAVOC ().

• It's not a bad idea. But I just really hope that whatever they do next for PvE(if anything) in some form lets us use our PvE characters. I hate that they're stuck in stagnation when they would REALLY benefit from having access to some form of repeatable, randomized content.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • After pondering for a bit, while I do agree that using already in game methodology would be a swifter item, based on what I've seen in the forums while I was in lurk mode (due to glitched login, OG account + PS4 account + Attempting recreation apparently made for a very bad mix) I doubt that it would be well received unless it has the full disclosure of 'this is part 1, we anticipate part 2 in the coming months' for the deployment.

Progress in general is a great thing though. I am sure many of us still have high hopes, but trying to stay grounded is becoming more or less mandatory.

I do see some of the previously referenced threads now with the 'Similar Threads' area below. At least I am learning more of how the new forums work.

Still, hopeful for what is coming next for HEX.
    • HAVOC wrote:

Is funny you made this topic :) I sent off a doc to the relevant floobers just the other day outlying some of the stuff I think HexEnt could do quite easily and one of them was adding difficulty settings to FRA.

However, my solution uses the existing (already coded) event system where Hogarth appears and triggers the special events during matches. All that would be required is to program a list of say 20 possible events he can trigger (similar to how he will give opponent mastery of time or oracle song) and make it random when he appears instead of pre-set.

Then depending on the level of difficulty selected at the start of the run, Hogarth will appear randomly throughout your run (at the moment I think he only appears 3 times?)...

So easy mode could be what we have now... medium could be 6 appearances... hard 10-12... INSANE - EVERY MATCH :D

Then over time that list of 20 possibilities can be added to... eventually reaching 30... 40... who knows!

Thus increasing replayability a lot!

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE!

You could then add this to the campaign, but instead of Hogarth appearing to trigger random events from the list, you have Kismet appear :)

This would be a good starting point at the very least... and THEORETICALLY the best bang for buck in terms of time/resources spent.
      The biggest problem with this idea is that FRA is already too difficult for most players to reliably complete. Any introduction of difficulty settings need to include at least 1 (if not more) difficulty that is easier than the current mode; the alternative would be to allow the use of PVE Champions and/or Mercenaries to effectively increase the power of decks players are allowed to use.