Dino Watch

    • I've been in lurker mode since the Siege Sack debacle, and have been pretty apathetic since Cory's epic farewell non-response. But he did mention that the Cory Watch thread prompted the reply somewhat, so I figured I'd try it again toward the one person who is hypothetically supposed to engage with us.

      Remember this?

      Dinotropia wrote:

      To that end, I will be ... providing an improved Town Crier experience for you guys. Better communication is something HEX has been growing into, and it is something we take seriously. We do read everything on the forums, from game feedback to the drama llamas, and I am going to do my part to make sure that you know it.
      Source: Community Manager Update (June 6, 2016)

      I'm hoping to summon that incarnation of @Dinotropia, who (if he still holds true to the above quote) must be aware by now that the current communication policy has branded him with the nickname "Dinobot". That sucks. For all of us.

      To be fair, I have no idea what the "Community Manager" job description technically entails for HXE. I know you've got integrity and you're doing your job well. Based on what we know of other "Community Manager" positions throughout gaming culture, however, many of us are scratching our heads as to why "talk to us" - the thing we think you're paid to do; the one thing that we expect from you - doesn't seem to rate on your duty roster any more.

      Dude, we know your hands are tied. We know you're wearing a lot of hats, and none of them are as dapper as Winston's coiffure. We know we're a bunch of frustrated Gnolls who don't have much slack left to cut you guys, and we're going to piss fatalfuel on anything you tell us in the immediate term...because Gnolls. We know that dealing with us sucks, and that it will continue to suck for a while even if things magically turn up roses.

      But this new level of non-engagement, especially at such a turbulent and challenging stage in the game's existence, is bonkers. Surely you guys aren't deaf to the vibes around here. Surely you know that the general view here on the forums, even among the whitest of knights, is that HXE seems to be experiencing some rough times. And while the white knights remain above speculative glimpses of an imminent demise, the popular tone on the forums these days is one of rattling door chains, hopeful HXE takeovers by new companies, and sweet, sweet doom.

      @HEXCoryJones made it clear that you are not going to discuss business. Fine. That's an understandable decision, even if you'll have to forgive us for some understandable assumptions of our own that have caused some wallets to act in self-fulfilling ways. It isn't our place to know what you do with your money. But, and here's the rub, you guys want our money. Recent events have created a conundrum that is building into an impasse.

      So talk to us about the thing that you can talk to us about - the game. Talk to us about the game in a way that, as you said above, makes it clear to us that you're reading these forums and take serious your intention to improve the communication surrounding it (even the drama llamas). You know that the copy/paste Clash/Bash updates and MM blurbs aren't cutting it, right? Of course you do, because you're reading everything on the forum. So let's talk about the game, y'know...for real. Some relevant and common questions recently shouted into the void:

      - What is the deal with Merry Melee entry fees? People are blue in the face shouting for casual formats - where "casual" is defined as "no-fee, no-prize, no-queue formats that allow for direct challenges and/or custom matchmaking". You know, something novel that we can play with our friends whenever the urge strikes and a reason for all of the non-competitive "I don't care about buckets" folks to keep spending money. Merry Melee seems to be exactly what the community has been asking for...except this one tiny detail. So what is up with that? Are there any current plans to introduce a functionally casual version of MM or anything else?

      - Tell us about Siege. It was presented as an Alpha product with many exciting changes on the horizon. Community feedback was supposed to be important here, and it came in droves even before it turned into a river of pure bile. The only things that has been done to the format since launch almost half a year ago were a few bans and the introduction of one of HEX's least popular reward systems. What are your plans for its short-term future? Are things like mercenary access, attacker PvE access, and other "we know they want it because we read the forums" stuff coming? How much of Siege's stasis is due to compatibility issues between PC/PS4, and how do you anticipate meeting those challenges? How do you feel the reward structure benefits the legitimate interactions with the system, and how do you feel about the rash of exploits? Do you think the non-tradable prizes are a good idea? Why?

      - What is the honest state of PvE development? We don't need your budget or payroll records on it. But this is THE GAME that many of us are here to follow. What is the internal vibe regarding the direction of PvE? Are we looking at a new installment? A reboot? Are you just looking for a delicate way to tell us that what we have is all there is? I mean, there isn't anything you can say that is going to be received well at this point (Hell, you'd probably take a ration of shit for a phantom this-Friday release of a full-feature PvE dream), because we're all hulked up right now. But saying nothing = HULK SMASH! while saying anything meaningful about it is going to appeal to the Bruce Banners neglected beneath the rage...eventually. Stone me if you want, but help us stop stoning you.

      I could go on. Others already have. You know this; you read everything on the forums. All of this stuff is game only, no business. And the more game we discuss, the more business happens. Seems pretty win-win, right?

      So talk to us. Please?
      The Unnamed Council - Community Admin
    • At this point, the game might or not be "dead", HXE might be or not in bankruptcy, but this community for sure is already dead. The forum revolves around the same 20 users, so, it's understandable that Dino turned into a Dinobot, there is no community to manage. It's a shame, because the community was something very nice that Hex had in the past.
      Twitter: @Plotynus
    • Plotynus wrote:

      At this point, the game might or not be "dead", HXE might be or not in bankruptcy, but this community for sure is already dead. The forum revolves around the same 20 users, so, it's understandable that Dino turned into a Dinobot, there is no community to manage. It's a shame, because the community was something very nice that Hex had in the past.
      There are 21 likes so far so there must be more than 20.
    • GobBluth wrote:

      schild wrote:

      Thread number four. Let's see how this one works out.

      a+ for effort tho
      Previous threads were deleted?
      The fact that some of these current threads haven't been deleted, especially the one talking about losing employees, have me suspicious as well. Dino was super on top of deleting "questionable topic" threads.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Katkilla ().

    • Plotynus wrote:

      At this point, the game might or not be "dead", HXE might be or not in bankruptcy, but this community for sure is already dead. The forum revolves around the same 20 users, so, it's understandable that Dino turned into a Dinobot, there is no community to manage. It's a shame, because the community was something very nice that Hex had in the past.
      I was gonna make a sarcastic post that @Greyhaven would be attacked for being negative and therefore destroying the game but you beat me to it with a non-sarcastic one. ;)

      Again...I said it before in so many words: You are focussing on the wrong thing. Stop blaming the customer. Of course the topics discussed on the forums might deter new players. But gues what...so does a look at steamcharts. And of course some of the complaints you can read on the forum are rude and maybe even unfair. But the original problems were not created by the forum members. The perceived toxicity is just a reaction to frustration. And that frustration first and foremost is on the hands of HXE. As you say the community was nice. They had patience and understanding for mistakes for the longest time. But at some point people run out of patience. You could even argue that the community stayed calm for too long. As some people know me and others wrote a letter to HXE which at least caused some stir a couple of months ago. I dont regret being involved in that letter. I am regreting not writing that letter like 2 years earlier.
    • Just to clarify, the current state of the forum it's a shared responsibility between we, the community, and they. And when this happens, I tend to think that HXE is more responsable than us, because in the end, it's in their best interest to have an active forum and a active community. If you let the forum die to purge the "gnols" (as the OP said), you're just doing your job bad.
      Twitter: @Plotynus