Dino Watch

• Sukebe wrote:

Airtron wrote:

Ertzi wrote:

That 2016 quote is brutal to read.
      Want to know what else is super brutal to read?Friday Update! 9.15.17
      Are we reading the same update? The only "bad" thing there is that he said he won't say exactly when new pve is coming...which you should have figured out a long time ago.
      "Let me say with zero confusion, I am 100% committed to the vision of PVE for HEX, Dungeons, Raids, Keeps, Guilds, Characters and Leveling... heck Pets and dozen other things we have never talked about. I am committed to it all and it all WILL happen."

Still dont see it.

"we actually have a HUGE amount of design work done, AND art... heck I think we have around 15 dungeons with full art finished, its just a matter of building out the plan for launching this stuff and finishing the adventure zones."

Where did this work go?????

"I read all the forum comments and there are SOOO many good ideas, I know all this will be part of building HEX's future."

Apparently not from recent happenings in the forums. The only thing they listen to is pvp.

"Double Backs will have to be re-done, the tech will not work and we will pay way to high a price for it if did make it work. We WILL have double backs but the idea of unique cards is not going to work, you will unlock account achievements via specific cards, and there will be info about the cards use (how much dmg. you have done with burn, just not how much with THAT burn), so you WILL have double backs it will just be a bit different."

Double backs are still in but different - we havent heard a thing since. This is almost a year ago mind you.

There are so many more things they told us about that they have gone silent on. Its not even funny.
    • Sukebe wrote:

Are we reading the same update? The only "bad" thing there is that he said he won't say exactly when new pve is coming...which you should have figured out a long time ago.
      The part about that that is painful to read is how long ago it was with almost no communication on the subject since. The update itself was great, until you realize that what he was talking about was kind of 'if we survive to 2025, then all this stuff might come to pass'
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Thing is, HXE basically decided that they wanted to slowly bleed out the community instead of just saying the truth: We are going to focus on X,Y... and forget about Z for a while. When you don't talk to the community, no matter how small it is, you're giving them the right to assume whatever they want. I honestly don't blame those who basically enters here only to say how bad is everything. I don't agree with them, but they're entitled to their opinions and HXE decided that the best way to handle those criticisims is to just ignore them until they go away.

Thing is, if they go away and nothing else replace them, you just have a smaller community.

In a game with a small population.

That's not good community handling.

I don't think Dino thinks that way, I think he's just not authorized to engage in this kinds of discussions. Someone else from a higher position should do it.
      Twitter: @Plotynus
    • Plotynus wrote:

Thing is, HXE basically decided that they wanted to slowly bleed out the community instead of just saying the truth: We are going to focus on X,Y... and forget about Z for a while. When you don't talk to the community, no matter how small it is, you're giving them the right to assume whatever they want. I honestly don't blame those who basically enters here only to say how bad is everything. I don't agree with them, but they're entitled to their opinions and HXE decided that the best way to handle those criticisims is to just ignore them until they go away.

Thing is, if they go away and nothing else replace them, you just have a smaller community.

I don't think Dino thinks that way, I think he's just not authorized to engage in this kinds of discussions. Someone else from a higher position should do it.
      Another part of the problem is that people online don't WANT to have positive discussions half the time. You look at the suggestion forums... there are DOZENS of threads about positive change and that are trying to offer constructive and friendly discussions... most have 1-2 posts(unless they're opened by someone with some real name recognition and even then still frequently)

You open a thread about how bad communication is, or about how bad x feature is, or how bad the community is.... you're virtually guaranteed to go pages. It's been that way for years, but it's certainly gotten worse.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Eraia wrote:

Plotynus wrote:

Thing is, HXE basically decided that they wanted to slowly bleed out the community instead of just saying the truth: We are going to focus on X,Y... and forget about Z for a while. When you don't talk to the community, no matter how small it is, you're giving them the right to assume whatever they want. I honestly don't blame those who basically enters here only to say how bad is everything. I don't agree with them, but they're entitled to their opinions and HXE decided that the best way to handle those criticisims is to just ignore them until they go away.

Another part of the problem is that people online don't WANT to have positive discussions half the time. You look at the suggestion forums... there are DOZENS of threads about positive change and that are trying to offer constructive and friendly discussions... most have 1-2 posts(unless they're opened by someone with some real name recognition and even then still frequently)
      You open a thread about how bad communication is, or about how bad x feature is, or how bad the community is.... you're virtually guaranteed to go pages. It's been that way for years, but it's certainly gotten worse.
      You are right on the money here. Same people just complain nonstop.
    • Plotynus wrote:

Thing is, HXE basically decided that they wanted to slowly bleed out the community instead of just saying the truth: We are going to focus on X,Y... and forget about Z for a while
      nah, disagree

they didn't focus on x and y and forget z, they just thought they knew what was right. i don't believe any malice, except for one thing, or even general dismissive behavior went into any decisions

truth be told, the only major sin committed by hxe was endless stupidity - they put themselves in this situation and i'm inclined to believe that whatever they focused on was going to turn into hot garbage

- A BRIEF SUMMARY OF STUPIDITY -

SIEGE: Instead of coming out and saying PvE is making money or isn't making money - they were cagey about it. They decided Siege would target both audiences (on its face wrong), and then decided to take Siege to the logical extreme of "incorrect." Gambling and imbalance was layered onto a braindead AI making it feelbad for both defenders and attackers. Of the four player types, this one appealed to literally none of them.

FOILS: This one came directly from me - and at first I thought it was a miscommunication. I don't buy it. They've played CCGs before, they saw the idea as the ability to get people to open more packs so they layered it directly onto opening packs thereby removing packs from the draft ecosystem. Combine this with sleeves being flagged for NO_TRADE and you've got yourself a whirlwind of worthlessness that only hurts the set its associated with. Also, sleeves should be tradeable. Everything should be. That's another dumb decision, but one that was made back during the Kickstarter, so whatever.

CORINTH: Let's not let people make decks, also let's introduce this fun thing in a rotating format and let's make it competitive. They basically did NOTHING right here and everything actively wrong.

DINGLETON: I'm still waiting for the countersigned divorce papers, you malicious jerks.

PORTAL KOMBAT / THIS NEW CRAP / WHO'S THE BOSS / ETC: You know what people don't complain about in TCGs - dice rolls to determine winners and losers.

COSMIC COINS: Players can only earn these AFTER THEY'RE COSMIC. Also, let's introduce them while the game is on a downward trend - that sounds great.

SIEGE SACKS: This is just the dumbest shit imaginable.

SIGNATURE DECKS: Wait, this will get everyone playing again - let's tank the economy instead of providing a gradual way to grow into a format. Comeon, let's just irreparably screw things up and ruin any future trust in value or investment because Hoogland had a hissy fit about value or whatever. This could have been a great thing and it was just edge-of-reality stupid.

Basically, HXE is Icarus. But like, special Icarus. Instead of flying into the sun, this Icarus likes to try to break down walls, but the walls are brick and he's made of flesh and dumb.

What bothers me is I know they honestly believe they do all these things with good intention and are super excited, they just have no idea what they're doing. So instead of like, listening and learning about why they're constantly failing - they're taking ALL of their lack of experience in making a blockbuster hit and funneling it into the game and the results -

Well, the results are exactly as expected.

I'm not going to do it, but if I were to line everything they did up with what I actually suggested over the last five years, everyone's blood would be absolutely BOILING at this point.
    • I wasn't talking about development, I was talking about communication with the community. I know your remarks to what they're doing, and with most of them, I agree. But there're ways to handle those development decisions that you make, and they choose to just shut up and let the criticism slowly fades away (until no one bothers to enters here).
    • Plotynus wrote:

I wasn't talking about development, I was talking about communication with the community. I know your remarks to what they're doing, and with most of them, I agree. But there're ways to handle those development decisions that you make, and they choose to just shut up and let the criticism slowly fades away (until no one bothers to enters here).
      uh

you know they still have to communicate and explain changes like this to the community right - it's all one big kit and kaboodle

but the lack of experience shows - hard.
    • schild wrote:

Plotynus wrote:

I wasn't talking about development, I was talking about communication with the community. I know your remarks to what they're doing, and with most of them, I agree. But there're ways to handle those development decisions that you make, and they choose to just shut up and let the criticism slowly fades away (until no one bothers to enters here).
      uh
      you know they still have to communicate and explain changes like this to the community right - it's all one big kit and kaboodle

but the lack of experience shows - hard.
      yep, and they do, they throw 3 paragraphs on the site and that's all.
    • dino did watch this thread and didnt respond, which can be just ok or it can be another sign, i mean, if they would communicate that everything is fine and for example ... we are working on feature x, and on set 11 - 12 already and on stuff y and this will be super awesome but takes more time and blabla ... and then they shut down the servers 1 month after set 10 ... there might be some legal problems and i dont think they can afford to waste money in another lawsuit.
      Austrian Kickstarter & Slacker Backer
      -=] Dont mess with the bull, you gonna get the horn [=-
    • schild wrote:

i've called HXE lots of things, but greedy is not one of htem

they've been hilariously bad at monetizing a tcg
      Being bad at monetizing something can go hand in hand with being greedy. Couple of days ago, there was a little bit of a to-do about Harry Potter Hogwarts Mysteries, or whatever that game was called, that was both hilariously bad at monetization but also extremely greedy.

HXE has decided to monetise HEX by appealing exclusively to whales. That's bad monetization, yes, but also greedy. They're not content getting a tenner here and there from 10% of a playerbase of millions, they want 50%+ of their playerbase to fork over hundreds. They keep putting more strain on individual players by creating more and more sinks, and who the hell thought it was a good idea to put a price tag on Merry Melee?

They're definitely greedy. They're just greedy -and- incompetent.
    • Firellius wrote:

schild wrote:

i've called HXE lots of things, but greedy is not one of htem

they've been hilariously bad at monetizing a tcg
      Being bad at monetizing something can go hand in hand with being greedy. Couple of days ago, there was a little bit of a to-do about Harry Potter Hogwarts Mysteries, or whatever that game was called, that was both hilariously bad at monetization but also extremely greedy.
      HXE has decided to monetise HEX by appealing exclusively to whales. That's bad monetization, yes, but also greedy. They're not content getting a tenner here and there from 10% of a playerbase of millions, they want 50%+ of their playerbase to fork over hundreds. They keep putting more strain on individual players by creating more and more sinks, and who the hell thought it was a good idea to put a price tag on Merry Melee?

They're definitely greedy. They're just greedy -and- incompetent.
      This makes no sense to me at all. Hex is not catering exclusively to whales, I would argue they aren't even doing that at all.

They have a set price for packs and that is pretty much it. A competent player can spend $10 to $20 and use that to draft or play Evo and then win more packs and continue playing very easily, especially when Hex offers up a lot of value all over the place (Account rewards, Ladder Rewards, Primal Packs etc)

Twitch —— YouTube —— Twitter —— Steam —— Patreon
    • Okay, I've tried to sit on the sidelines, gather my intel, and be able to come back to the wonderful community I once knew. Obviously, my train of thought had some old engine processes behind it.

I only JUST got my account restored for posting on the forums. I -like many others- did the Kickstarter. I breached the 1000+ hour marker on steam in the last week (something i didnt notice, but am quite happy about honestly), and while my POST count here right now is abysmal, my name has been seen in chat at minimum here and there. I may try to make a joke, usually at my own expense after all is said and done, but I try to help others to smile.

I've been tech support for almost 15 years now. Throughout multiple companies. I know what it is like to be client facing and have to be 'the voice of help'. I also am the 'scumbag who answered the phone and will feel the wrath of the client'. I know -firsthand- what it is like to have to not speak about something in detail. An update to the program which botched a setting that only a small % (like 4-5%) of the client base is impacted by, a redo of an interface area that backfired horribly, a core feature being shattered because a side feature that was supposed to work -with- it decided to conflict with it... Anyone who has worked in a client facing environment has experienced SOMETHING that they couldn't fully disclose in that regard.

Is it right to do? ... no one wants to admit 'yea, um... i dun went and accidentally the database' without a way to say 'BUT I CAN FIX IT!' ... IN that mentality, i understand why silence happens. At the very minimum, some kind of alert/message/email blast/ingamemail blast/communication is not always an option. When you have something occur that impacts 3 out of 85 accounts, a full global message is asking to be punched in the face. It can, will and often does, generate reactions from the client base of "how do i know this did not impact -ME- and I am in the clear?"
      Backend resources have already been allocated to identify the impacted if any communication like that is sent to the global population.

The biggest challenge is that in the event of a blast message like that being sent, you have exactly 2 lines of text to get their attention, and then hope they read the rest. Remember, not everyone you message is running a 1600x1200 resolution. 2 lines for one person may be 18 words. Another person though? 8.

What does all of the above wall of text have to do with this conversation? Simple. Communication, the message within and the DELIVERY of the message.

One thing I brought up in chat a couple weeks back was a discussion within the Justice League HQ.
      You see, Wonder Woman had a need to know more about her team. She grabbed her Lasso of Truth and first wrapped up The Flash. Asking him, "Who are you?". To which he replied 'Barry Allen'. Superman was next for the Lasso, the same question asked. "Clark Kent."
      She continued through the team, finally reaching the Caped Crusader.
      "Who are you?"

'I am Batman.'

Bruce did not lie in his statement. The cowl was on. At that time, he is Batman.

Admittedly, I am as bad with names as Wonder Woman. I know of Cory, I know of DataDragon (whom I hope is still around, i did take a hiatus from the game, probably missed a lot in addition to the entirety of Scars of War), Dino, and a few others. As far as I am concerned, they all have the Cowl of HEX. While they wear it, wrong can be done, however just because it is a possibility, does not mean it is always the case.

The biggest challenge that they (and others of their team) have is that the Cowl is a symbol of hope. Seeing it across the night sky brings a sense of Calm to those who see it. Should one be on the other side of the tower, unable to see, the hope held will fade into the shadows.

Sometimes, some of us that are lost, need to step away from the shadows. We may not be heard from a distance, but we can be seen.
      Remember, when a shadow reaches visibility, it can invoke as much fear as it does hope.

I've rambled for a while now, lost my train of thought, drafted a horrible deck, restored part of the train of thought, got a very contested win and then loss in the merry melee, and now need sleep in the time it took me to post this. i'm fairly confident a few of my points that I attempted definitely missed the cut. For that I am sorry. I am happy to discuss anything I said above. Be it here, in direct message, or in game.

I wish all of you a wonderful evening, morning, day, and night. May Kismet be with us all. :D
      The week is barely half done for some of us. Looking forward to Friday, and then the weekend where hopefully I can get into a Bash/clash.
    • schild wrote:

Plotynus wrote:

Thing is, HXE basically decided that they wanted to slowly bleed out the community instead of just saying the truth: We are going to focus on X,Y... and forget about Z for a while
      nah, disagree
      they didn't focus on x and y and forget z, they just thought they knew what was right. i don't believe any malice, except for one thing, or even general dismissive behavior went into any decisions

truth be told, the only major sin committed by hxe was endless stupidity - they put themselves in this situation and i'm inclined to believe that whatever they focused on was going to turn into hot garbage

- A BRIEF SUMMARY OF STUPIDITY -

SIEGE: Instead of coming out and saying PvE is making money or isn't making money - they were cagey about it. They decided Siege would target both audiences (on its face wrong), and then decided to take Siege to the logical extreme of "incorrect." Gambling and imbalance was layered onto a braindead AI making it feelbad for both defenders and attackers. Of the four player types, this one appealed to literally none of them.

FOILS: This one came directly from me - and at first I thought it was a miscommunication. I don't buy it. They've played CCGs before, they saw the idea as the ability to get people to open more packs so they layered it directly onto opening packs thereby removing packs from the draft ecosystem. Combine this with sleeves being flagged for NO_TRADE and you've got yourself a whirlwind of worthlessness that only hurts the set its associated with. Also, sleeves should be tradeable. Everything should be. That's another dumb decision, but one that was made back during the Kickstarter, so whatever.

CORINTH: Let's not let people make decks, also let's introduce this fun thing in a rotating format and let's make it competitive. They basically did NOTHING right here and everything actively wrong.

DINGLETON: I'm still waiting for the countersigned divorce papers, you malicious jerks.

PORTAL KOMBAT / THIS NEW CRAP / WHO'S THE BOSS / ETC: You know what people don't complain about in TCGs - dice rolls to determine winners and losers.

COSMIC COINS: Players can only earn these AFTER THEY'RE COSMIC. Also, let's introduce them while the game is on a downward trend - that sounds great.

SIEGE SACKS: This is just the dumbest shit imaginable.

SIGNATURE DECKS: Wait, this will get everyone playing again - let's tank the economy instead of providing a gradual way to grow into a format. Comeon, let's just irreparably screw things up and ruin any future trust in value or investment because Hoogland had a hissy fit about value or whatever. This could have been a great thing and it was just edge-of-reality stupid.

Basically, HXE is Icarus. But like, special Icarus. Instead of flying into the sun, this Icarus likes to try to break down walls, but the walls are brick and he's made of flesh and dumb.

What bothers me is I know they honestly believe they do all these things with good intention and are super excited, they just have no idea what they're doing. So instead of like, listening and learning about why they're constantly failing - they're taking ALL of their lack of experience in making a blockbuster hit and funneling it into the game and the results -

Well, the results are exactly as expected.

I'm not going to do it, but if I were to line everything they did up with what I actually suggested over the last five years, everyone's blood would be absolutely BOILING at this point.
      I'm not sure if I'm sad or happy that there are two people who don't see any maliciousness in their decisions. Sadly i do agree with almost every point you make sad because every single one is a worse than median outcome. The good part is that almost every single one of these points can be remedied with a bit of work, but sadly i don't expect them to be in the near future if ever.
    • Agree Wolzarg I completely disagree with Schild's belief that pve should be trashed because I really think it is hex's saving grace. What is sad is that the vast majority of what Schild want seems relatively easy to implement, although I strongly disagree with alot of his ideas. A casual format like a edh variant cant be that hard to make if they are able to make all of these MM modes.
    • Airtron wrote:

Dino appears to be reading this thread atm!

POGGERS

Going out on a limb here, having not read past this point and assume there is no response yet, as it has to be run past the bosses and legal team first, to be sanitized and cleansed of any actual commitments or spoilers, to the point of not having any meaningful content.

"hey guys really excited about the future and I'm glad there is so much interest in hex!

That's it

-dinobot"
    • Eraia wrote:

I think you are wrong. People WANT meaningful positive discussion about the game, but we learned from experience that 99% of the time HexEnt is not listening. Discussing anything constructive while knowing it won't going to pass, no matter how good the suggestion is very depressing.

Also many of the suggestions are returning ideas for 2+ years from better casual modes, to AH improvements, to new player experience etc etc etc... On the other side there are things like Siege and Merry Melee, where they asked for feedback, and still ignore it.

If they would come out and show where the game is going, that would increase positive communication. i hoped for a big state of the game article when we had HEX birthday, but honestly... this was the game's most uneventful birthday so far.
    • Pretty sure all the PvE progress has been vaporware, or as close to it as one gets these days. Art assets (which are the only things they claimed to actually have) are relatively cheap and easy. Cory said he had art for 15 dungeons, which means nothing, and said they had done LOTS of design work on them guys. That means they probably had themes for a majority of them planned, and for some of them they even had specific encounters designed! But probably nothing coded, and we'd be lucky if they had it even mocked onto paper. But we already know that coding things into the client is what takes Hex so long, so when Cory says, "We've done lots of design work on these dungeons" it means they're nowhere near complete.

Hex's always been full of cool ideas, but never was really able to implement them.

In unrelated news, I was looking to free up some storage space on my ssd, and uninstalled hex. It was a surprisingly easy choice.
      Old username: Aradon | Collector backer | Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulean Acadamy" -- Taking applications once guilds are implemented