Let Players use pack as part of Entry for Constructed Events

• Let Players use pack as part of Entry for Constructed Events

The flood of packs from Immortal Gauntlets and Bash / Clash are great for driving down the cost of limited. However for constructed they make the events harder to break even on.

A quick / easy way to offset this is to allow packs to be used as 200 plat toward event entry. Example: Allow Gauntlet Entry with 2x Packs and 100 Plat, 1x Pack and 300 plat, or 500 plat as is. Could do similar for the Bash.

This also saves people who want to just play a bunch and worry about selling stuff later the ability to not wait for packs to sell before they can play again most times. This would make it easier to predict your "break even" point for another gauntlet entry.

A more complex / messy solution is to create a third resource that is only used for entering events. This was done on the Chinese server according to @NeroJinous but is likely more complicated over all.
    • I agree that something needs to be done about packs and such for bashes and clashes. One thing I think would work best is just to have the events give out plat. I would be willing to take a 100 plat deduction in general from prizes for the packs to just be what they are worth in plat from the store. Being able to break even from a gauntlet entry is crucial to get people to want to keep playing them. However, I think one of the better solutions would be to fix the AH and make it far easier to list cards, and also post demand for a card at a certain price point. That would help a lot with the issues of selling stuff as well.
    • Minimizing the ways players need to “move currency” would be very nice. I think moving closer to CCG is really what people have been asking for... take away the “micro currencies”. move to formats that can be farmed into entry for, without trade ... Promote game play. Sell cosmetics and perk escalation speed.

For now though, they likely need to grab at the plat directly, especially given the clash and bash payouts obfuscating the translation of $ to plat.
    • JeffHoogland wrote:

The flood of packs from Immortal Gauntlets and Bash / Clash are great for driving down the cost of limited. However for constructed they make the events harder to break even on.

A quick / easy way to offset this is to allow packs to be used as 200 plat toward event entry. Example: Allow Gauntlet Entry with 2x Packs and 100 Plat, 1x Pack and 300 plat, or 500 plat as is. Could do similar for the Bash.

This also saves people who want to just play a bunch and worry about selling stuff later the ability to not wait for packs to sell before they can play again most times. This would make it easier to predict your "break even" point for another gauntlet entry.

A more complex / messy solution is to create a third resource that is only used for entering events. This was done on the Chinese server according to @NeroJinous but is likely more complicated over all.

NeroJinous wrote:

The far left currency(White shard stuff) is used as an entry fee currency. Even if you had a 0 win run you got some of the currency.

They have a third currency that could be used to its maximum potential.

Do like MTGO and create a fixed currency that you win and can be used as entry fee (like play points) .. they are fixed, don't lose value and keep it easy for the constructed or limited players.

but I already mentioned that in so many threads...
    • There're already entry tickets designed in the system. For example, the CCS ticket or the Hex Primal Immortal Cup tickets. The best way I see to implement this is an exchange for gauntlets or entries. You give X packs and get Y tickets in return that can be used to enter the Bash, Clash or a Gauntlet (the system already can take multiple entry points, in drafts for example). The discussion there it's a way to "normalize" this. I assume that the best curse of action is a fixed rate for a pack exchange. For example, if every pack gives you a ticket, and with 4 tickets you can enter a gauntlet, the "value" of every pack is 125pl.

It works in a similar way as Jeff proposed, it's just a way to use the existing code to implement this.
      Twitter: @Plotynus
    • Plotynus wrote:

It works in a similar way as Jeff proposed, it's just a way to use the existing code to implement this.
      Limited gauntlet events already support using packs as part of the entry. While I haven't seen the Hex code base, I can't imagine it is that hard to flip it on for constructed as well.

There are a lot of convoluted, good, and bad solutions outside of what I suggested here. Just using packs as entry though is simple and should hopefully be fairly clean to implement.

I just want to encourage people interested in playing Immortal to play it. When you need to go 5-x to not lose money though, that is hard to do.
    • I'd love to see Cosmic Coins be renamed and offered as prizes in Immortal Gauntlets. If we treat them like a premium prize, then the barrier to entry being either reaching cosmic or doing very well in a gauntlet you paid 500 plat to enter seem like good restrictions.

That said, I don't care what happens in the end, as long as something happens. Prizes need to improve and/or price of entry needs to drop.
      -The Greetest of All Thyme
    • The huge problem with moving to a more CCG model is that HXE has shown no signs of knowing how to monetize their game. They can only make by with people having to pay to play.

Moreover, a model change at this point would mean very little if there wasn't any proportional advertising. Even if they knew how to monetize, cutting out their main source of income overnight wouldn't make things any better.

By the way, why doesn't anyone mention that even Cosmic Coins could be used as tickets / alternate entry fee currency?

P.S. Another issue I see with the "packs as entry fee" proposal is that packs can be bought for 70-80c. Platinum cannot be bought outside 1$ 100plat. So, in reality, what this suggestion is is to lower entry fee which, I've been repeatedly told, is lower than other games'.
    • i agree with this suggestion cuz nobody is fucking opening packs anymore so really it's no harm at all in the current situation. prices of cards aren't where they are supposed to be if you take a look at what people are listing singles at and what they're listing packs at. people would rather just list the packs for a lower amount than to open for singles they can sell at a higher amount. and it's not like hex hadn't tried with the root sleeves but the reality is it just hasn't had the effect we all would have hoped.

and what's this about moving towards a more ccg model? you mean streamlining the player experience?
    • Angmar wrote:

Would be great if there was enough limited players to consume the packs and let the economy work.. but there aren't.

So A+ to this recommendation.
      Too much packs are entering the system now so prices are down .

New sets arrive packs open like crazy but as time goes lesdnpacks are opened but still slot entering the system

I prefer a third currency where they can use for entering in new gauthlets

No ccg please. There is other ways to do this
    • JeffHoogland wrote:

You don't have to scrap the ability to trade and become a CCG to make Hex accessible. They can leave the ability to swap cards with other players (which is a good thing IMO), but straddle prices so rares are $1-2 and legends are $5~ instead of piles of money they get to now for various reasons.
      these prices seem a lot more appropriate than what we have atm. What would that put pack value at? 50-60p? With prices like that I would actually spend more in hex right now.