Someone trying to jack prices up?

• It’s not a surprise that trade that has been complained about for many years, and a dwindling player base is leading to more manipulation and control around price points as items become seemingly rare. Lack of interest and lack of hands touching the space, with short timers influencing both, is the recipe for disaster.

It has felt like we’ve ran out of rope. I’m not sure exposing this as we continue to yell in the wind, will yield any results.. least of which pointing a finger at the player base for this issue is Going to help. Continued hilarity by some that want to pretend they are pillars of the community, can go back to their child’s play around blame shoving to the symptoms, not the causes.
    • HEX could start by posting a sticky on the welcome screen in the client to inform new players that prices seen on the AH do not necessarily reflect the current worth of a card and may be extremely volatile.

I understand they can't take responsibility for data published by a third party but it would certainly help if said message had a link to HexPrice as well.

Experienced players will just doublecheck before they buy and not fall for inflated prices and just advertise an offer in the trade chat based on the actual selling price from the card in the last weeks instead of buying something with a ridiculous price but I've personally had to inform too many new players already about what is smart to do and what is not. And those are PC players with access to the chat. The PS4 players don't even have that.

If nobody buys cards for artificially inflated prices, those sellers will eventually tire of it.

Obviously, listing times should be lengthened as well because that will probably help in two ways: 1. Keep cards with fair prices on the AH longer. 2. Motivate genuine sellers to actually list their cards. I honestly think even just making it a week instead of 48 hours would already have a large effect.
      "Ignorant beliefs are stains upon the mind."
    • Transience wrote:

HEX could start by posting a sticky on the welcome screen in the client to inform new players that prices seen on the AH do not necessarily reflect the current worth of a card and may be extremely volatile.

I understand they can't take responsibility for data published by a third party but it would certainly help if said message had a link to HexPrice as well.

Experienced players will just doublecheck before they buy and not fall for inflated prices and just advertise an offer in the trade chat based on the actual selling price from the card in the last weeks instead of buying something with a ridiculous price but I've personally had to inform too many new players already about what is smart to do and what is not. And those are PC players with access to the chat. The PS4 players don't even have that.

If nobody buys cards for artificially inflated prices, those sellers will eventually tire of it.

Obviously, listing times should be lengthened as well because that will probably help in two ways: 1. Keep cards with fair prices on the AH longer. 2. Motivate genuine sellers to actually list their cards. I honestly think even just making it a week instead of 48 hours would already have a large effect.
      With how painful it is to list cards a week instead of 48 hours wouldn't make a dent in the sales apathy me and my friends have. Either let us sell by list with a script/plugin or/(and) let us list indefinitely.

I know im beating the same drum here but a ask/buy market instantly removes 90% of the issues we have with spikes and market manipulation. Yes there will still be people playing the market but they will doing it in bulk and taking a slim cut on top instead because that is all they can get away with.
    • Transience wrote:

I don't think it's realistic to ask for a plugin or script or any other somewhat serious altering or rebuild of the AH at this point. I think listing indefinitely is insane, that's not gonna happen.
      The way i see it is either they allow the community to make and use a tool or they improve the AH them self the quality of the AH is very very directly affecting the game for almost every single player and it is very negatively affecting it.

Norwind wrote:

How about an official statement that it's ok to make a macro that lists cards automatically from a list of cards, then someone can just make a script that automates the process.
      Exactly this they don't need to do a lot of leg work if they clearly state that they allow it they at most need to do some small amount of coding to facilitate it if its not already possible which i suspect it is.
    • Wolzarg wrote:

Norwind wrote:

How about an official statement that it's ok to make a macro that lists cards automatically from a list of cards, then someone can just make a script that automates the process.
      Exactly this they don't need to do a lot of leg work if they clearly state that they allow it they at most need to do some small amount of coding to facilitate it if its not already possible which i suspect it is.
      As long as we are speaking about a macro script that just moves the mouse and enters text it is definitely possible as that requires zero support from any game. They just need to state that it is not against the TOS. It means that you can't use the pc for anything else as it takes over the mouse and keyboard, but it still means you can let it list cards while you sleep.

Of course, adding an import option to list a bunch of cards without going through the motions, would be much better, but that requires work by HexE
    • One problem with making it possible to auto-list huge batches of cards (or extending the time of listings significantly) is that I don't think the auction house code could handle the increased number of listings. There are currently 110,000 active auctions according to hexprice. If we assume that 5,000 players decided to use such a utility, and that each of them used it to auto-list 10,000 cards, that would be an additional 50 million listings. That's a 500x increase, and I think the end result would be that searching (and quite likely listing) would completely break, rendering the AH basically useless. That's why I've always thought that if you really want to encourage players to list all their available cards, you first need to re-design the auction house code to handle that kind of volume.
    • Mystery wrote:

One problem with making it possible to auto-list huge batches of cards (or extending the time of listings significantly) is that I don't think the auction house code could handle the increased number of listings. There are currently 110,000 active auctions according to hexprice. If we assume that 5,000 players decided to use such a utility, and that each of them used it to auto-list 10,000 cards, that would be an additional 50 million listings. That's a 500x increase, and I think the end result would be that searching (and quite likely listing) would completely break, rendering the AH basically useless. That's why I've always thought that if you really want to encourage players to list all their available cards, you first need to re-design the auction house code to handle that kind of volume.
      Super easy fix limited the number of cards one player can list done!

or if it breaks it breaks fix it make it better give us a actually functional auction house pretty please... its about fucking time.
    • Wolzarg wrote:

Mystery wrote:

One problem with making it possible to auto-list huge batches of cards (or extending the time of listings significantly) is that I don't think the auction house code could handle the increased number of listings. There are currently 110,000 active auctions according to hexprice. If we assume that 5,000 players decided to use such a utility, and that each of them used it to auto-list 10,000 cards, that would be an additional 50 million listings. That's a 500x increase, and I think the end result would be that searching (and quite likely listing) would completely break, rendering the AH basically useless. That's why I've always thought that if you really want to encourage players to list all their available cards, you first need to re-design the auction house code to handle that kind of volume.
      Super easy fix limited the number of cards one player can list done!
      That could help, but what would the limit be? 100? 1000? I've easily gone over 100 just listing things manually. If you cap it at 1000, that might be reasonable, but still means a 50x increase in my scenario, which still might overwhelm the servers.
    • I’ve always despised relisters. Taking something someone can use, and then reselling it at a higher price just because you can without adding any value is garbage. Most MMOs could fix it by making AH purchases account bound...and still they just let the gouging continue. A solution of that nature would be detrimental to the play model of Hex. I suppose they could remove the anonymity from the AH so we could publicly shame them, but it probably wouldn’t fix the issue. The sad result is, Primal makes a killing and HXE gets little. I’ve got no beef with Primal being profitable, but it should be competing with the AH, not flat out being the only place to get reasonably priced cards.
    • Opalia wrote:

To awoud AH owerflow: if more than 20 copies of same card is listed at AH all but the 20 with lowest start price should be returned to the seller.
      Anyway if 20 copies of same card are for sell at less the your list price your card will not sell anyway.
      Interesting, but abusable. I can just clear the market by listing 20 copies, undercutting everything there by 1, and then cancelling my auctions. Either to relist at whatever price I want, or just to grief people.
    • ShinGuard wrote:

I’ve always despised relisters. Taking something someone can use, and then reselling it at a higher price just because you can without adding any value is garbage. Most MMOs could fix it by making AH purchases account bound...and still they just let the gouging continue. A solution of that nature would be detrimental to the play model of Hex. I suppose they could remove the anonymity from the AH so we could publicly shame them, but it probably wouldn’t fix the issue. The sad result is, Primal makes a killing and HXE gets little. I’ve got no beef with Primal being profitable, but it should be competing with the AH, not flat out being the only place to get reasonably priced cards.
      Again, I want to emphasize this is not necessarily what is happening. Many of the cards mentioned in this thread show no signs of being bought at all, they are just listing cards that have no current auctions at exorbitant prices. Jeff's example might involve people buying and relisting, but it is very hard to show that is happening versus the existing stock being bought by people that actually want the card, and then new auctions being listed by different people.
    • Mystery wrote:

Can you give some specific examples? I'm curious to see whether there are actually purchases for the card, or whether it is just that the old ones expired.
      Chimes of the Zodiac currently listed at 599p and 600p. Usually sells for 31p. Max recorded is 177p.
      Demented Demolisher, 8 are listed at 2637p, usually sells for 31p.
      Emberspire Witch, 4 are listed at 929p, usually sells between 50p and 150p.
      Lord Adam, the Righteous, 3 are listed at 790p, usually sells between 150p and 300.
      Lord Benjamin, the Wise, 3 are listed at 499p, usually sells between 31p and 80p.
      Filk Ape (regular art), 8 are listed at 2499p or above, usually sells for 31p.
      Replicator's Trance, 3 are listed at 2632p, usually sells for 31p.

and I could go on, but this is getting tedious.
    • JeffHoogland wrote:

Plotynus wrote:

I know, but is not a conventional solution and definitely one that people here won't like (seeing some reactions with the $25 decks): direct intervention from HXE on the AH.
      Those people are going to be pretty upset when all their stuff is "worth" nothing cause no one is around to play with.
      People need to stop looking at games as an "investment". You should be playing games for fun. Right now the Hex econ is a direct hurdle to letting people get into Hex.

At this point I'd even be happy with Hex listing all rares / legends on the AH at a "ceiling" price to keep things reasonable and then if a natural market wants to settle the price of that staple at a lower point let it happen.

I'm sure there will be a dozen people along to tell me how that would ruin the game shortly, but honestly I just want people to play with so f*** the people who want to use a game I enjoy as a stock market.
      But then peoples "1 million plat!!!!" collections wouldn't be worth $10k+++

How dare you sir. That would ruin the game shortly.
    • Transience wrote:

HEX could start by posting a sticky on the welcome screen in the client to inform new players that prices seen on the AH do not necessarily reflect the current worth of a card
      HXE CANNOT and SHOULD NOT regulate the price of cards outside of packing them in signature decks.
      Doesn't matter if these (directly regulating prices - indirectly indicating the price for a bunch of cards) have a similar result.
      Direct meddling is both imppossible (there is no one that can tell you "This i worth X" and even if it were, it would not be HXE with how slow they react) and unethical (since it's a free market).
    • Fred wrote:

Mystery wrote:

Can you give some specific examples? I'm curious to see whether there are actually purchases for the card, or whether it is just that the old ones expired.
      Chimes of the Zodiac currently listed at 599p and 600p. Usually sells for 31p. Max recorded is 177p.Demented Demolisher, 8 are listed at 2637p, usually sells for 31p.
      Emberspire Witch, 4 are listed at 929p, usually sells between 50p and 150p.
      Lord Adam, the Righteous, 3 are listed at 790p, usually sells between 150p and 300.
      Lord Benjamin, the Wise, 3 are listed at 499p, usually sells between 31p and 80p.

So based on the lack of recent sales all of these just look like "None are listed, I'll put one up really high" not "Let me buy a bunch that were listed at normal prices and try to flip them".
    • What is sad is that the ah may be Hex's biggest enemy. One would be crazy to buy plat and use the ah when you can just get the cards ALOT cheaper from someone on the forums.

Should there be regulation, no. But there could be incentives in place where this is not likely to happen (ah cut hits when you list a card).
    • Mystery wrote:

Fred wrote:

Mystery wrote:

Chimes of the Zodiac currently listed at 599p and 600p. Usually sells for 31p. Max recorded is 177p.Demented Demolisher, 8 are listed at 2637p, usually sells for 31p.Emberspire Witch, 4 are listed at 929p, usually sells between 50p and 150p.

So based on the lack of recent sales all of these just look like "None are listed, I'll put one up really high" not "Let me buy a bunch that were listed at normal prices and try to flip them".
      Thing is though that it very rarely happens that people buy a 100p card for 2000p. And when it does there is a chance they did it on purpose to transport currency from one account to another.
      "Ignorant beliefs are stains upon the mind."