Multi-queue, the solution for the bucket's problem!

• Multi-queue, the solution for the bucket's problem!

... or at least a partial one.

I don't even know if this is possibly technically, I tend to think that yes. But I don't know how much is going on with the matchmaking.

The idea is simple:
      The player selects which queues wants to find a game (for example, standard + immortal, or immortal + evo, or just a standard match), the first game that pops up it's the game you play.

I understand that a lot of issues can happen with this. For example, what could happen if the system finds 2 matches for the same player at the same time? Also, you'll need to redesign at least part of the UI, because you'll need to select a deck for standard for example.

But this might help to the queue's times and the availability of players. I can't be the only one that sometimes just wants to play a game of immortal or standard, or for limited players, it doesn't matter if it's evo or draft, they just want to end their pods and goes from one mode to another. Of course, if a player just wants to play one mode, he can still do it. But even if that's the case, the other players waiting for different queues at the same time will speed things up. A side effect of this, is that more players will be willing to open pods or gauntlets, because finding matches there will be faster, giving an overall activity increase.

It might be hard to implement technically, or even impossible, but if it isn't, I think it can help a lot of issues with one stone.
      Twitter: @Plotynus
    • Plotynus wrote:

... or at least a partial one.

I don't even know if this is possibly technically, I tend to think that yes. But I don't know how much is going on with the matchmaking.

The idea is simple:
      The player selects which queues wants to find a game (for example, standard + immortal, or immortal + evo, or just a standard match), the first game that pops up it's the game you play.

I understand that a lot of issues can happen with this. For example, what could happen if the system finds 2 matches for the same player at the same time? Also, you'll need to redesign at least part of the UI, because you'll need to select a deck for standard for example.

But this might help to the queue's times and the availability of players. I can't be the only one that sometimes just wants to play a game of immortal or standard, or for limited players, it doesn't matter if it's evo or draft, they just want to end their pods and goes from one mode to another. Of course, if a player just wants to play one mode, he can still do it. But even if that's the case, the other players waiting for different queues at the same time will speed things up. A side effect of this, is that more players will be willing to open pods or gauntlets, because finding matches there will be faster, giving an overall activity increase.

It might be hard to implement technically, or even impossible, but if it isn't, I think it can help a lot of issues with one stone.
      Its definitely not impossible to implement.
    • Sounds like too much work to implement, tbqh. With the amount of people working and the latest performance issues from HXE, it would take months or even more than a year to do. It's not only UI, even the matchmaking has to change if you need to automatically reenter if the other guy declines the match.
    • Vroengard wrote:

Sounds like too much work to implement, tbqh. With the amount of people working and the latest performance issues from HXE, it would take months or even more than a year to do. It's not only UI, even the matchmaking has to change if you need to automatically reenter if the other guy declines the match.
      Who says you are allowed to decline?
    • Wolzarg wrote:

Vroengard wrote:

Sounds like too much work to implement, tbqh. With the amount of people working and the latest performance issues from HXE, it would take months or even more than a year to do. It's not only UI, even the matchmaking has to change if you need to automatically reenter if the other guy declines the match.
      Ummm, I figured it'd be like that.

Join Q1, Q2, Q3
      Popup for Q2
      Accept / Decline
      If accept, you're removed from the Q1 and Q3 and play
      If decline, you're removed from Q2 and wait for Q1 or !3 to pop

I think that in such situations, when you've more than one options available to you, you should be given the choice because there's a bunch of things that could have affect your decision (especially X amount of time (minutes) has passed between joining and playing).

Would this work for starting a Draft by the way (which is different from waiting in a queue to play)? If so how?
    • Vroengard wrote:

Join Q1, Q2, Q3
      Popup for Q2
      Accept / Decline

I think that in such situations, when you've more than one options available to you, you should be given the choice because there's a bunch of things that could have affect your decision (especially X amount of time (minutes) has passed between joining and playing).

Would this work for starting a Draft by the way (which is different from waiting in a queue to play)? If so how?
      if the are going to decline Q2 match anyway why would they join the Q2?
      HEX forums resident liker.
    • Vroengard wrote:

Wolzarg wrote:

Vroengard wrote:

Join Q1, Q2, Q3
      Popup for Q2
      Accept / Decline

Simpler than that.
      Join Q1, Q2 and Q4 (you don't want to play q3, so you don't select it)
      Appears a rival for q2
      Play q2.

If you only wants to play Q1, just carry on as normal.
    • ReluxTheRelux wrote:

Queued up at 10:10 for it. No queues pop up. Come 10:30, q2 pops, you realize you no longer have time for q2 because of how long it took to find a match, so decline.

Honestly, the lack of ability to decline a match in Hex is one of its least customer friendly early decisions overall(they've made way worse recently... but in the early days...)... it'd be 100 times worse in a multi-queue environment.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Eraia wrote:

ReluxTheRelux wrote:

Queued up at 10:10 for it. No queues pop up. Come 10:30, q2 pops, you realize you no longer have time for q2 because of how long it took to find a match, so decline.
      Honestly, the lack of ability to decline a match in Hex is one of its least customer friendly early decisions overall(they've made way worse recently... but in the early days...)... it'd be 100 times worse in a multi-queue environment.
      If you're in a multi-queue waiting for 20 minutes, either your ISP is dead or the game is dead. Neither are good signs.
    • Even in a 5min period, your mood might've changed. I think it makes sense to be asked before drawn in. Because, in one's mind, they have made a different plan on what to do afterwards for each scenario of queue popping. Being drawn by force means they're invalidating your other plans. For that, you should be asked

"Do you STILL want to play this queue you joined 3min ago or did you change your mind?"
    • No point in allowed you to decline, but you need to be able to dequeue like you can now. So if you change your mind or don't have time for a certain queue you just drop out of that queue, just like today.

This makes it less complex, as if you have time to decline a match you will run into more issues with finding multiples queue matches.
    • Plotynus wrote:

If you're in a multi-queue waiting for 20 minutes, either your ISP is dead or the game is dead. Neither are good signs.
      Or you're at a high elo rating and it's hard to find a match of equal skill.

League of Legends pro players have been known to wait 45+ minutes for a match on their main accounts. League of Legends is not a 'dead game' by any means.

There are more ways to get long queue times in a well designed system than just 'the game is dead', I assure you.

But, as Vroen says... peoples' mood changes. Sometimes you think you want something, but when the time comes to actually do it, it no longer seems appealing.

Every well designed queue system I've seen requires confirmation that parties are present and still interested. Most well designed systems also have systems in place to punish people who frequently decline.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

• Eraia wrote:

Plotynus wrote:

Or you're at a high elo rating and it's hard to find a match of equal skill.
      League of Legends pro players have been known to wait 45+ minutes for a match on their main accounts. League of Legends is not a 'dead game' by any means.

There are more ways to get long queue times in a well designed system than just 'the game is dead', I assure you.

But, as Vroen says... peoples' mood changes. Sometimes you think you want something, but when the time comes to actually do it, it no longer seems appealing.

Every well designed queue system I've seen requires confirmation that parties are present and still interested. Most well designed systems also have systems in place to punish people who frequently decline.
      But this game lowers the match-making criteria with each minute that it passes, so it makes no sense. In Hex, a multi-queue for immortal/standard should last at much 5 minutes -and that is a lot- (i'm not counting limited, where directly there is no match-making based on ranking).
    • Plotynus wrote:

But this game lowers the match-making criteria with each minute that it passes, so it makes no sense. In Hex, a multi-queue for immortal/standard should last at much 5 minutes -and that is a lot- (i'm not counting limited, where directly there is no match-making based on ranking).
      Every game does that... that's not unique. At all.