With a Relist Option i would be satisfied with the current AH

• With a Relist Option i would be satisfied with the current AH

The AH experience is awful, no one will debate that. However i feel like an option to relist some or all of your recently expired auctions would be a huge QOL improvement. I'm feel like i'm asking for a minimum effort MAJOR QOL feature. The Hex AH was put in years ago and it hasn't been touched since, aside from some small search option changes.....

The AH for buyers works like this, you figure out what card you want to buy. Open the AH, search for the card, look at the available cards, buy it or bid on it. Done.

For the seller its this: Figure out what card you want to sell, Open the AH, search for the card, figure the current selling price, go to the listing tab, search your collection for the card/other, set minimum price/buyout, set quantity. Each screen can take a few seconds or ages to load. 90% of your stuff wont sell, so you get to do this all again in 3 days. If you have 1000's of cards to sell you will give up, listing and relisting and relisting is a never ending cycle. It can take many hours to list all of the items you want to sell and doing so every 3 days is just not an option for many of us.

Again this is an absolute MINIMUM request, i'm not asking for the coveted Bid/Ask system that everyone wants, because i understand that the resources to do a full rebuild of the AH system are not available. However a game with a HEAVY emphasis on player trading/selling/buying needs to have a system that doesn't drain multiple hours, hours we could be spending actually playing the game. The current AH is unbearable, an auto relist feature would go a long way.
    • Relist is just worse than a option for infinite post time so the auction never expires. Should also be easier to add a longer duration that it is to implement a relist system for the AH. Technically you don't need to make it infinite just make it like idk 2 years.
    • Arcanis wrote:

For the seller its this: Figure out what card you want to sell, Open the AH, search for the card, figure the current selling price, go to the listing tab, search your collection for the card/other, set minimum price/buyout, set quantity. Each screen can take a few seconds or ages to load. 90% of your stuff wont sell, so you get to do this all again in 3 days. If you have 1000's of cards to sell you will give up, listing and relisting and relisting is a never ending cycle. It can take many hours to list all of the items you want to sell and doing so every 3 days is just not an option for many of us.
      This.

I don't understand why Hexent hasn't made any simple adjustment since eons, like extending listing duration:
      1. Technical limits: more card listed => the system would collapse;
      2. Maintain illusion of wealth: floor prices + few offer = artificially high prices ; fluidify the market => prices crash;
      3. They are happy with the current state;
      4. Did I miss something?
      Hex has been sold to us as a MMO-RPG-TCG. With MMO and RPG almost buried, please give us at least the T of TCG.

Please.
    • Arcanis wrote:

For the seller its this: Figure out what card you want to sell, Open the AH, search for the card, figure the current selling price, go to the listing tab, search your collection for the card/other, set minimum price/buyout, set quantity. Each screen can take a few seconds or ages to load. 90% of your stuff wont sell, so you get to do this all again in 3 days.
      I remember typing this exact same paragraph two years ago.
    • KaminOO wrote:

1. Technical limits: more card listed => the system would collapse;
      2. Maintain illusion of wealth: floor prices + few offer = artificially high prices ; fluidify the market => prices crash.

Both are probably taken into consideration, but i bet the main reason is a poor code hastily put together that nobody dares to touch.
      (Remember the fiasco when they tried to list the cheapest item only, that should be trivial unless the code is a total mess.)
    • SkipToMyLu wrote:

they should change the list time to allow at least a week. So that way you can list stuff like once a week and not worry about it. This would also help some of the harder stuff to find more available.
      No no no... not a week not a extra few days. Fucking infinite or near infinity nothing short of a year. While we are at it also let me list more than 20 at a time something like 99.
    • Wolzarg wrote:

SkipToMyLu wrote:

they should change the list time to allow at least a week. So that way you can list stuff like once a week and not worry about it. This would also help some of the harder stuff to find more available.
      No no no... not a week not a extra few days. Fucking infinite or near infinity nothing short of a year. While we are at it also let me list more than 20 at a time something like 99.
      Having tons of unsellable crap on the AH would be a regrettable waste of resources. I would allow listing beyond list time as long as the item is the cheapest listing (one of the x cheapest listings depending on whether it is equipment, standard card and so on), that should make most of the items available, hopefully at reasonable prices.
    • Everyone always acts like if we could just list something for a thousand years or post a million copies all at the click of a button, everything would be fixed. They never think about the opportunity cost of anything. It's not as simple of a fix as you try to make it out to be. The database requires resources to run. Searching and indexing everything takes up server load. Having to hit the database to search for something is already slow as fuck. If you make it so people can list things for 100 times longer with no checks and balances, it just makes everything worse without actually fixing anything. It's not going to make your stuff easier to sell, it's just going to make all the overpriced things sit on the system taking up space and wasting resources for much, much longer.

Yes, it will potentially make it so harder to find items are actually in the list from time to time, and they might even lower the prices on some of them to be more reasonable, but you can't just throw up 1 year listing times with no other work and expect everything to keep functioning properly. The system would slow down to unbelievable levels, even slower than it is already, which would make posting stuff even harder than it already is. I guarantee you, I've seen this kind of simple-minded fix attempts used on other games, and it always screws things up way more than it fixes. It takes more time, effort, and careful consideration to update a living database-driven system like this. There are no quick fixes.

Please understand: I'm not saying the work shouldn't be done or doesn't NEED to be done, I'm just saying you can't fix it overnight just by ticking up one of the variables to a huge number with no other effort.
      --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
      - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well
    • You are not wrong but a "simple" solution would be to have the database only load the 20 cheapest of each object for example. I mean eve online has literally trillions of transactions a day and even actively load the current market price as a reference for each object when inspecting it.
    • EVE is a special case. They also specifically built their system to work that way. Hex didn't. Their backend database structure is (clearly) garbage. It doesn't (maybe even can't) pre-filter anything. When you first load up anything, it loads EVERYTHING. I don't know exactly what they are running for their database, it's obviously not SQL, but even on something as straight-forward as SQL, there are lots of things you can do to reduce load on the front end by filtering data out, pre-screening info using queries, etc. Hex doesn't (or again, can't) do that. It SHOULD be simple, but based on however they designed their system (mostly as a result of the whole every item is unique nonsense, I assume), it's not simple.

To give a simple example in response to your direct suggestion, in order to find the 20 cheapest items in the list, it still has to search the whole list. If it wasn't designed to pre-filter that data on JUST the two fields (name, price), then in order to query the database to show you 20 items, it has to load all the items. That's how databases work. Effectively, it takes just as much time to show 20 results as it does to show all results, because it has to load all results to then filter down to the top 20. Technically, depending on server load and number of simultaneous accesses, filtering down to 20 takes LONGER than just showing everything (because you're running a 2nd query after you find all matching names, to find the best prices in those names). This is WAY over simplified, but to a non-programmer, it's a good enough example to see what I'm talking about.

Again, I do not know exactly how Hex's backend database is built. But I do know, as a database designer, how such things TEND to be built. There are many ways it could be done, but as evidenced by how their system actually runs in practice, it's pretty clear to me that their system is not optimized for what it ought to be optimized for - rapid filtering, pre-screening, reduced load and processing times, etc. I'm sure their system works fantastically for an in-office server that only 20 people are connected to. For an online live service that is theoretically being hit by thousands of queries at a time, it's just not up to scratch.
      --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
      - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well
    • Maybe a premium service for people to list more items for extended periods of time. It will cost plat. Maybe AH search should cost plat too.

Regardless there should be no difference as the underlying database engine handling the queries remains unchanged
      "Winning with terrormill is not fun? Try losing with it"
    • Ossuary wrote:

To give a simple example in response to your direct suggestion, in order to find the 20 cheapest items in the list, it still has to search the whole list. If it wasn't designed to pre-filter that data on JUST the two fields (name, price), then in order to query the database to show you 20 items, it has to load all the items. That's how databases work. Effectively, it takes just as much time to show 20 results as it does to show all results, because it has to load all results to then filter down to the top 20. Technically, depending on server load and number of simultaneous accesses, filtering down to 20 takes LONGER than just showing everything (because you're running a 2nd query after you find all matching names, to find the best prices in those names). This is WAY over simplified, but to a non-programmer, it's a good enough example to see what I'm talking about.
      I was thinking the server could cache the 20 lowest of each item updating the cache each time a new item is putt up for sale or bought from that stack. I'm not a database guy so maybe this is still far fetched but it seems serviceable based on my limited knowledge.

This would obviously still increase server load based on the number of items but wouldn't stress the server with each querry as far as i understand.