Friday Update - Portal Kombat

• It's plain to all that these Merry Melee modes are meant to be free and for the purpose of player retention but they aren't because they are being used to suck currency out of circulation in the hope that the community will replenish some of that currency using their credit cards. I personally don't see this as a blatant cash grab (aka loot boxes) but more of a (desperate?) way to keep the lights on which is (if this is the case) poor judgement by someone as it looks and feels like a nickle-and-dime strategy. Meanwhile all the low hanging income generating fruit is rotting on the vine...

A gentle reminder of what the game thousands of people backed to become was meant to be in comparison with what we have 5 years on for those that keep complaining about the complaining (I'm sure the shiniest white knight of them all will swing by on his golden stallion to tell us all to shut the hell up because the game is just fine sometime soon) : Hex Kickstarter
    • If HXE are really desperate for cash and that's why MM cost plat instead of being free, they could tell us. Set a goal of X dollars spent/plat purchased/whatever, and promise us free, direct challenge MM (and a fucking real EDH) if we hit the goal. I guarantee people would open up their wallets, because a lot of us DO still care about this game. We just aren't happy with the crappy direction things seem to be going lately, and we're worried that the writing's on the wall.

I doubt we'll get something that direct, since we're not supposed to talk about the game's financial situation. However, a little honesty would go a long way here.
    • I didn't play dinglton because it was the most 0 effort content possible to ask for an entry fee. Portal kombat seems interesting, and I acknowledge the effort needed to implement it. I was gunna try for the sleeves, but after reading a few posts here I agree that we should not support these melees especially since cory refuses to communicate with us, and the only way to properly show disapproval is to vote with your wallet, so I wont be doing any melees until we get communication.
    • Portensio wrote:

It’s funny that they act like that because even WotC interacts a lot with the community with mtga compared to before. They really are invested in discussions and give feedback ( good or bad but there is an answer ). Maybe they could take some pointers on how to do that.
      To elaborate a little bit on this and give an example:

In case anyone doesn't know, WotC promised a big post on the economy of their game and completely failed to deliver what players expected because they were basically summarising the current economy without giving any substantial new information when most players expected a post about what they plan in terms of economy. Some of that original post was also rather arrogant to some players, so the feedback was extremely negative. This reminded me a lot of Cory's Friday update even though the context was completely different.
      WotC reacted to this feedback by creating another thread where they basically said sorry and explained that they didn't realise what players expected from the original post. They now implemented some new modes and features with the latest update and even though they completely screwed up the mode I was most interested in (competitive draft), I am still quite happy with the changes and the way they handled communication with the players. That is because a) they showed that they are clearly listening and realised that they made a mistake AND communicated that and b) the other changes are all nicely done and c) there will probably be an update on the economy part of the game in July. It's sad to say that but I was missing exactly this kind of reaction from Hex. They don't have to apologise to anyone but it is absolutely necessary to communicate more and to go more into detail about several aspects of the game and especially its future. Why are you doing x? What is your vision for y? When can we expect an update on z? Some answers would help a lot.

The problem of charging for these modes isn't so much that it is necessarily a bad move (getting a bit money from many players is a way to earn money in the long run and it makes sense if you want to decrease the cost per player, which seems to be the way they are going) but that you had time to prepare these modes and they look like something that isn't very difficult to set up. I am sure that more players would be willing to invest something in a mode that is similar to Dingleton but provides some extra features like Mercenary "Commanders" or PvE cards (although the latter could easily break the format). I am not against charging for this in general but there have to be better rewards or more polished modes. I consider this a work in progress, though, and might try PK at some point this week.

Utremeld wrote:

Glad to hear it, repetition will make sure you get it again.
      This one just made me die laughing, especially in the context of some players complaining about the same thing time and again and not being heard at all.
    • Venomspider wrote:

They don't have to apologise to anyone but it is absolutely necessary to communicate more and to go more into detail about several aspects of the game and especially its future.
      I disagree. I think they do need to apologise, not necessarily for the myriad of missteps, especially this cascade we're going through now that shows no sign of stopping, not for the issue with artists not getting paid, but with the downright insulting response Cory gave.

They need to demonstrate that they know what they did was wrong, and to what extent. Trying to brush past it would indicate, to me, that what they do is just lip service, and they don't believe that what they did was wrong.

I do expect an apology for their behaviour. Bigger, better companies have apologised for less, and with more.
    • Im p sure they know the PS4 isn't remotely sustainable or relevant.

I think the issue is exactly what I've said before. They think they're doing a good job because the reality of things is a walking nightmare.

Doombringer packs are cratering to 100 plat and all we've gotten is "we don't have to tell you shit. You deserve nothing." That is, of course, the opposite of correct.
    • schild wrote:

Im p sure they know the PS4 isn't remotely sustainable or relevant.

I think the issue is exactly what I've said before. They think they're doing a good job because the reality of things is a walking nightmare.

Doombringer packs are cratering to 100 plat and all we've gotten is "we don't have to tell you shit. You deserve nothing." That is, of course, the opposite of correct.
      I think and experience that most PSN players are playing the preconstructed decks, so I don't think they have much effect on booster prices, or budget homebrews. Still, the lower levels of the ladders are filled with them.

Doombringer booster prices are just depressing... but nothing is wrong! The ship is not sinking THAT fast! It's just becoming a submarine! Get your towels and DON'T PANIC!
    • Packs tanking is only an effect of bash clash and on demand immortals. What did you expect ? There is not more people playing limited thus not a bigger demand and a lower price

Nothing to do with population or PS4 or anything

Even is we had 100000 people more the problem would be same as those players would create even more packs

We need something to sink those packs so better limited games ( more friendly drafts and monthly leagues )

Mtgo had the same problem with pack price. They then invented play points and treasure chest as prizes to diminish how many they were giving out