Happy 5th Birthday, HEX!

• I like smoke and mirrors as much as the next guy, but this was a really good opportunity to give us an in-depth update about where the game is heading. It's fine to celebrate HEX's past accomplishments and colorful history, but what we need now is information about its future.
    • Cory wrote:

I think our focus on new platforms (PS4 globally) was the absolutely the right decision. We see the revenue numbers, and Sony is a fair share of the money currently earned for HEX.

This remains a complete mystery to me...

Current TOP 100 limited ladder : 3 PS4 players
      Current TOP 100 constructed ladder : 8 PS4 players

Last bashes : 1/28, 1/44, 0/35, 5/36, 3/47, 3/59 >>> 5.22 %
      Last clashes : 4/59, 4/37, 2/68, 3/45, 2/81, 3/54 >>> 5.23 %

Last fight nights : 9/24, 7/47, 11/37, 10/47, 1/16, 9/41 >>> 22.2 %

These datas show PS4 players are a very tiny part of the player base AND the conversion rate is very low because they are more active in a format where you can play for free for the most part...

So yeah something is wrong somewhere...
    • Gregangel wrote:

Cory wrote:

I think our focus on new platforms (PS4 globally) was the absolutely the right decision. We see the revenue numbers, and Sony is a fair share of the money currently earned for HEX.

These datas show PS4 players are a very tiny part of the player base AND the conversion rate is very low because they are more active in a format where you can play for free for the most part...

What lack of information you have is who are the PC players. Are they Old KS players that have lots of plat or limited / constructed players that already have or bought all that they have so in consequence don't spend money.

are ps4 players more ladder players, gradually collecting and spending in Hex.

Its almost impossible to be F2P player in Ps4, compare that to the PC players.

Population and revenu are 2 different mesures.
    • grats to the fifth birthday, hex went to my number 2 of my most played games in terms of years between counter strike as no 1 and eve online as, no 3 :) dunno if hex will be able to go for the lead... still some years to go... gl tho :)
      Austrian Kickstarter & Slacker Backer
      -=] Dont mess with the bull, you gonna get the horn [=-
    • Gregangel wrote:

As a general rule of thumb, the 'best' players in a game are rarely its main source of income.

For example, League of Legends has a dude that purchased every champ AND every skin with RP(ie. money). His collection is virtually 100% complete. Last I checked, he's like... silver 5.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Regarding PS4 players, the standard ladder in the low tiers is filled with them. So one can see the "payoff" there (one could later argue if it's worth it). On the other side, I don't expect PS4 players as a block to be as competitive as the PC players with a 4 years difference between them. Some players might be good and have already good decks (I've faced some of them in the ladder), but as a group, they're behind.

With this said, I don't know if player retention for PS4 is working well. And also, there seems to be an issue with heading them to limited. Playing constructed is easy, you need a deck (Even a bad one), click "find match" and that's it. I believe that's why ladder numbers seems stable over the past months, but limited it's decreasing.

I still believe that with a proper marketing campaign, and a good new player experience, Hex can really get a lot of PS4 players. So far, it seems to be attracting players, but keeping only a few of them and they only play standard.

If at this stage that is paying the bills, imagine what it can be if things goes actually right.
      Twitter: @Plotynus
    • Smart money management and having a yearly comic that requires you to pay someone to make these pages do not really go together, especially after having trouble paying artists due to a lack of buffer funds available. Nobody else has commented on that yet so I felt like it was worth pointing out. I will resume being a twice burned cat now.
    • Yeah, I'm kinda with some of the sad PvE players here. I'm happy that you've turned five, but there was literally nothing exciting about that post at all to me. In my entire time with Hex, I've had a change that ruined a format I liked (FRA), and another that ended up leaning further in the PvP direction than it did PvE (Siege).

I honestly can't believe that no part of that post made hopeful or happy.
      Never shift in to reverse without a backup plan.
    • SaintVicarious wrote:

Yeah, I'm kinda with some of the sad PvE players here. I'm happy that you've turned five, but there was literally nothing exciting about that post at all to me. In my entire time with Hex, I've had a change that ruined a format I liked (FRA), and another that ended up leaning further in the PvP direction than it did PvE (Siege).

I honestly can't believe that no part of that post made hopeful or happy.
      It seemed like a validation post which was weird. Something about what is in the future would have been much better. People are worried and I dont think it helped any at all.
    • If someone had told me when I helped back the game that 5 years on we would still be waiting for multiplayer PVE and guilds I would have kicked them in the face, oh the enthusiasm I and everyone had back then.

Hex Shards Of Fate, the only MMOTCG with multiplayer PVE and ground breaking AI.

Happy birthday Hex.
    • Happy Birthday Hex! This is the best online tcg around and it just keeps getting better :) That isn't to say everything is perfect, there is a lot that still needs to be done. This last year has shown a lot of progress and I can't wait to see where the next year takes us :)
    • NicoSharp wrote:

Let’s fight to 6!
      If there is a 6th year post then I will livestream going on the streets, apologizing to everyone I can find about my woeful assessment of this company's standing and how much I underestimated Cory Jones' ability to manage a company, budget, and meet consumer expectations.

Thus far every outlandish bet I've made has worked out in my favor regarding Hex so I'm pretty confident I'll be keeping my Twitch account inactive.