Gauntlet Update - Patch Notes 1.1.0.060

• played 1 gauntlet. it was garbage

repairing against the same players is a waste. i faced the same 57-shard 3-card fateweave clown 3 times.

i knew the EV was crap because nobody actually wants the prize packs, but i thought i could at least throw away some currency to play a card game. i guess that was expecting too much

it's hard to see the value in paying to play this junk. if it was free i might hop in the queue again and hope to play against actual decks, but i'm not paying 500p for the privilege
    • I think this type of mode is more geared towards the highly competitive players. 500p seems a very high entry fee for this kind of thing unless you're really in it to gamble and win. I don't quite understand why they removed the free queue since both modes should be able to exist next to each other.
      "Ignorant beliefs are stains upon the mind."
    • Transience wrote:

I think this type of mode is more geared towards the highly competitive players. 500p seems a very high entry fee for this kind of thing unless you're really in it to gamble and win. I don't quite understand why they removed the free queue since both modes should be able to exist next to each other.
      Hi there! Did you have a good sleep? Glad you woke up. Time to catch up.

When they can't get new players
      and can't retain any players that stumble across the game by chance
      and can't create anything interesting for the PvE players
      the only way to get money is from veteran AND competitive players (why do you think that IMMORTAL gauntlet doesn't give any IMMORTAL rewards?)
      and you need to make railroading players to paying formats look as innocent as possible (removing THE LAST casual way for PS4 players to play)
    • Transience wrote:

I think this type of mode is more geared towards the highly competitive players. 500p seems a very high entry fee for this kind of thing unless you're really in it to gamble and win. I don't quite understand why they removed the free queue since both modes should be able to exist next to each other.
      if I don't qualify as 'competitive enough' to play this mode, it's fucked

in a tournament i would never face the same nonsense 3 times. if it was an actual part of the metagame, maybe 3 different players could play the same thing and people might try to counter it

but if this queue is as dead as it is and I have to choose between warping my entire deck to beat repeat matches against deterministic non-decks or not playing, i'll end up not playing
    • Wolzarg wrote:

Sounds like it should be easy to beat tho.
      in a properly designed game, sure

in a game that mostly plays at sorcery speed where you need to double up on some expensive instant to beat a halt, it's not

also the mana isn't even good enough for a 2-color deck, so most of the almost nonexistent hate cards are already starting off as basically unplayable
    • TCG Players are the stone worst.

Remove gauntlets, replace it with a free ladder that gives prizes (now on demand forever) and they complain gauntlets are gone.

Put gauntlets back up, they complain about gauntlets being back.

Guess what - not every part of Hex has to appeal to every player. If gauntlets for constructed aren't your thing, that is fine - don't play them.

Just wanted to say I played 3 gauntlets today (last two on stream) and they were great. As someone who had dipped into the free "Immortal" Queue on occasion and been constantly frustrated with being paired against piles of cards that were effectively casual decks, my experience playing over a dozen matches today was much better.

I would like to say that one of my gauntlets I had repairings into the same player fairly quickly which I agree isn't ideal. Something like a 3-5 minute wait time before pairing you back into the same player again in a gauntlet would be ideal I think.

All in all, thank you for providing a reasonable way for me to play what is looking to be a sweet Hex constructed format so far Hex Ent.
    • Found the deck he's talking about.

hexpvptools.net/gauntlet/run/17513954977850875468

Quite the hilarious deck.

Complete shit against burn decks game 1.

Looks like he needs to side in interrupts G2. Apart from Gambit, there's no drawing in this deck. There's only a single gambit in this deck. Deal with that and you're golden.

Bury would be the best way to deal with that. That and discard cards as it takes at least 3 turns to set up if he wants to have resources ready for interrupts.
      There was a signature here. It's gone now.
    • Darkwonders wrote:

Found the deck he's talking about.

Looks like he needs to side in interrupts G2. Apart from Gambit, there's no drawing in this deck. There's only a single gambit in this deck. Deal with that and you're golden.

Bury would be the best way to deal with that. That and discard cards as it takes at least 3 turns to set up if he wants to have resources ready for interrupts.
      That deck destroyed my sides, I'm not even mad.
    • Darkwonders wrote:

Any interupt or instant speed removal and the deck loses. That is beyond the fact that it needs to hit 3 ice and have its colors. Like i said thats a non deck to be upset about you can literally mulligan to 2 looking for your removal since that is all it does so card disadvantage doesn't matter.
    • The criticism towards this move is a little more complex than the picture some people paint here.

Back when we had constructed gauntlet we had no free ladder that hands out packs. Pack prizes were between 160p and 170p. Doombringer packs are listed for 128p right now in the auction house. You cant just bring back constructed gauntlet while you have a ladder and expect everything to be the same. The difference in pack price is at least in part a result and makes a big difference in the motivation/ev to participate in a constructed gauntlet.

Second of all: Not everyone wanted immortal gauntlet. Personaly I believe that a standard gauntlet would have been the better move. I understand that you want to incentivize immortal more but maybe were there were other/better ways. I prefer the current standard format over the current immortal format (in terms of meta and fun I have playing). I doubt I am alone with this.

Most importantly you have to consider the reason why constructed gauntlet was removed in the first place. The stated reason was that they were afraid of splitting up the playerbase (aka "too many buckets"-problem). Now the playerbase is even smaller. A potential splitting up of the playerbase is even more problematic now than it was back then. But thats exactly what they are doing now. There was a multitude of suggestions on how to circumvent this by combining playing for cosmic coins and playing for the ccs qualification and playing for ladder ranks and playing for cosmic coins with a possible constructed gauntlet. They did not say a word regarding to any of those suggestions sadly. Were those suggestions all perfect? No, of course not. Would some of those suggestions be a better way to do this? IMO, very much so.

I am afraid that the waiting times for immortal gauntlet will increase over time and that in a month there might not be much participation at all. I am also afraid that HXE takes exactly the wrong take-away from that then.
    • Wolzarg wrote:

Darkwonders wrote:

Any interupt or instant speed removal and the deck loses. That is beyond the fact that it needs to hit 3 ice and have its colors. Like i said thats a non deck to be upset about you can literally mulligan to 2 looking for your removal since that is all it does so card disadvantage doesn't matter.
      You can muligan into your quick removal only G1, as G2 and G3 having that one Burn will be completly irrevelant due to Arcane Zephyr... but I agree, it's not a deck one should be upset about, as anyone can easily simply play more quick removal. This deck isn't even good against [SAPPHIRE] decks as Runebind or Transmogrifade can totaly devastate it.
    • Metronomy wrote:

I prefer the current standard format over the current immortal format (in terms of meta
      We don't know what the "meta" for Immortal looks like. It is essentially a new format. You need a good deal of information to have a realistic picture of a meta game, and an ICS every two months is nowhere near enough to get that picture.

Maybe you won't like Immortal, but saying that based on what it is at the moment is like looking at the first week of a freshly rotated standard and concluding the format is awful when it still has yet to be explored.

Metronomy wrote:

The stated reason was that they were afraid of splitting up the playerbase (aka "too many buckets"-problem). Now the playerbase is even smaller
      Citation needed on the second part here.

I'd try to explain why having a gauntlet and a ladder that are the same format directly competing doesn't make sense regardless of player base size, but I've done that enough in the past to know you are just going to dismiss it outright again.
    • Morwath wrote:

Wolzarg wrote:

Darkwonders wrote:

You can muligan into your quick removal only G1, as G2 and G3 having that one Burn will be completly irrevelant due to Arcane Zephyr... but I agree, it's not a deck one should be upset about, as anyone can easily simply play more quick removal. This deck isn't even good against [SAPPHIRE] decks as Runebind or Transmogrifade can totaly devastate it.
      Didn't even realize it had a reserves. Like sure i guess but for every card putt in from reserves the ice are now infinitely worse right? Does the deck even work with reserves it seems like each card you add makes it so much slower that the interupt is actually inferior to just yoloing.
    • Wolzarg wrote:

Morwath wrote:

Wolzarg wrote:

Darkwonders wrote:

Didn't even realize it had a reserves. Like sure i guess but for every card putt in from reserves the ice are now infinitely worse right? Does the deck even work with reserves it seems like each card you add makes it so much slower that the interupt is actually inferior to just yoloing.
      In last ICS it was the only match I've lost and I've lost it 0-2. I guess its worth mentioning I was yoloing as Yotul Mogak, you can check coverage, there was nothing I could do with the list I was playing. If they put single Arcane Zephyr against Burn they are just one turn slower, assuming they won't draw any piece without fateweave. Uninterrupted deck should win by turn 4. Anyway, I don't think this deck is any issue, there are many combo decks in this game and this one is probably the easiest to deal with.