I'm about done with Siege until Hex makes some AI improvements

• GobBluth wrote:

Why won't Hex interact with the community? I know it's been a long time that people have complained about communication. But they must see the state of the community. Like, how does an internal conversation about communicating go? Do they just hope it will go away if they say nothing?
      The only thing I can think of is that they are in closing down mode. If there is some strategy other than that, it is a completely stupid strategy that is costing them cash. People are cashing out left and right and I cant imagine that is what they want.
    • Pandaemonium wrote:

GobBluth wrote:

Why won't Hex interact with the community? I know it's been a long time that people have complained about communication. But they must see the state of the community. Like, how does an internal conversation about communicating go? Do they just hope it will go away if they say nothing?
      The only thing I can think of is that they are in closing down mode. If there is some strategy other than that, it is a completely stupid strategy that is costing them cash. People are cashing out left and right and I cant imagine that is what they want.
      This is scary...but makes a lot of sense.
    • Pandaemonium wrote:

GobBluth wrote:

Yeah, I hate to believe it, but I think you could be right. I think they may be focusing on getting set 10 finished since it's probably almost done, and then just dump it out for one last cash grab before turning off the lights.

I'd like to think we're wrong... But I'm pretty worried.
    • I remember a post quite a while ago where Cory said something about the toxicity and bad responses made him reluctant to post stuff. Agree with it or not, if you look at the current state of the forums, him posting anything on it is asking for a whipping...
    • KozHex wrote:

Norwind wrote:

They haven't communicated with us for a very long time, so regardless of whether they are actually on the brink of going under, lack of communication shouldn't be considered a sign of it...
      But has it ever been this bad before? I certainly don't remember a time like this...
      Its a constant getting worst and worst, it has been from set 5. Just the rose shaded glasses of how they used to communicate and hoping for that. Remember set 1 when there was 3 posts or even a post per week before the lease of something else...
    • Norwind wrote:

I remember a post quite a while ago where Cory said something about the toxicity and bad responses made him reluctant to post stuff. Agree with it or not, if you look at the current state of the forums, him posting anything on it is asking for a whipping...
      Cory should put his big boy pants on and try to salvage his company. There are CCGs with a three person development team that talk daily and their drafts fire once an hour. Not talking reinforces the idea they are shutting down which is causing alot of cashing out. It is the current state of the game not the forums Cory should be worried about.
    • Norwind wrote:

I remember a post quite a while ago where Cory said something about the toxicity and bad responses made him reluctant to post stuff. Agree with it or not, if you look at the current state of the forums, him posting anything on it is asking for a whipping...
      Well, this is an absolutely stupid childlike behavior, if you want to keep customers.

Just the last week somebody posted how WoTC answer to user concerns, and they get a LOT of flak for MTGA. And they would still have a huge playerbase if they ignore all those concerns, yet they still don't. They even acknowledged they did something wrong.

Of course, they didn't sold out all their big boy pants for 100 plat each...
    • Norwind wrote:

The analogy I like to use here is that of a crowd of people dying of thirst.

If you have 100 people dying of thirst, and walk into the middle holding a waterbottle... you're probably not making it out healthy. They're desperate. They're not going to act rationally, and they'll probably do something they'll regret... but... that's how it is when people get desperate.
      You, in stead, tell those same people that you're going to give out 10 bottles of water to different people every hour... the first few times, people will probably still be desperate and might fight over them. After the initial doubt wears off, when you keep giving out the water... they'll start behaving rationally.

What I'm saying is that you don't get people to stop being toxic by NOT giving them information. You do it by establishing a pattern of communicating with your playerbase. Once people get used to having information on a semi-regular basis, they'll stop overreacting, for the most part.

I don't expect Hex is ever going to learn this lesson though. So we're never going to get regular communication from them because they're too afraid of the community... but... that's how you do it.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Eraia wrote:

What I'm saying is that you don't get people to stop being toxic by NOT giving them information. You do it by establishing a pattern of communicating with your playerbase. Once people get used to having information on a semi-regular basis, they'll stop overreacting, for the most part.
      Yeah, that's a good idea, if only they could get one of them to - say - write something about the state of the game once every Friday...
      Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.
      • Commisioner Pravin Lal - Alpha Centauri
    • SlayerStronghold wrote:

Yeah, that's a good idea, if only they could get one of them to - say - write something about the state of the game once every Friday...
      Once a week is not sufficient.

They need to develop a habit of stepping into the forums and engaging with us meaningfully on a regular basis. A beefy post once a week addressing major things from the past week is fine... but they need to step into threads and start talking to us on a day by day basis.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

• Eraia wrote:

SlayerStronghold wrote:

Once a week is not sufficient.
      They need to develop a habit of stepping into the forums and engaging with us meaningfully on a regular basis. A beefy post once a week addressing major things from the past week is fine... but they need to step into threads and start talking to us on a day by day basis.
      This would have worked a year ago, maybe even six months ago. It feels like we are past the point of no return. I think that's how Hex/Cory feel as well so they don't think it does any good to start communicating now.
    • GobBluth wrote:

This would have worked a year ago, maybe even six months ago. It feels like we are past the point of no return.
      Don't get me wrong I agree. But I feel like if I'm going to be proven wrong it has to start with that. It has to start with them engaging with us. Them showing that they've recognized their mistake. And then follow that up with the content.

• New

I mean im torn because i wouldn't want to communicate in this cespool either where every single word is over analyzed and twisted to be the most wicked meaning of it. But the options are either try and hope it gets better or start agressively banning people who are being toxic. Neither is a good solution but letting the toxicity fester is just going to turn a nice community rotten and that will make its way in game and spoil that part as well.
    • New

Being a community manager is hard, no doubt. I know because I've been one. As I've said before, I don't even know that it's Dino's actual fault. We don't know how the company works with this stuff. They could just as easily be telling him to keep quiet and not communicate about anything important. Or it could be him just not engaging. There's really no way to tell. All I know is, their policy / communication sucks, and it's hurting them bigtime right now.

Someone needs to suck it up and start acting like the indie studio they are, and talk to their fans. The ivory towers are crumbling.
      --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
      - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well
    • New

I don't think it's fair to describe most of the responses as toxic. Toxic is purposefully mean or unfounded for the purpose of insulting or getting a rise out of someone. Most of what I see is founded in truth, or at least appears to be the truth to the majority of people. People talking honestly about what the current state of Hex is isn't really toxic, it's just realistic. The fact that honesty and negativity are related is just an unfortunate reality.