When a player has no legal plays suggest they press their auto pass hotkey

• When a player has no legal plays suggest they press their auto pass hotkey

Playing against slow players can be kind of frustrating. I actually just missed joining the bash bash 30~ seconds (first round paired, but hadn't started) because I started a ladder match I thought I would have time to finish, but my opponent ended up taking 3x as much time as I did.

A good deal of the time they burned wasn't even making decisions - it was likely that they were doing something else while playing Hex because they were constantly waiting to press "resolve" on my actions while they had no legal plays (zero resources, no troops with activated abilities).

It would be great if Hex could prompt players to press their auto pass hotkey when they have no cards they can play with their given resources. I think a lot of newer players especially probably just don't know this hot key exists and prompting them about it would likely speed up a lot of game play.
    • I am for reduced time for round, match, turn, whatever, but absolutely not for some auto pass priority.

Why ?

I play dingle, sunlit sentence, etc. On the 2nd and 3nd match my opponent know I play theses and that will affect his play. If auto pass priority, he will know I do not have one of theses cards in hand and may full scale attack instead of just attack with one troop. Bluff is not a major part of control deck strategy but it do help slower control deck from time to time.

Just reduce time available should do the job.
      Siege smasher since 2018.
    • ThomThom wrote:

I am for reduced time for round, match, turn, whatever, but absolutely not for some auto pass priority.

Why ?

I play dingle, sunlit sentence, etc. On the 2nd and 3nd match my opponent know I play theses and that will affect his play. If auto pass priority, he will know I do not have one of theses cards in hand and may full scale attack instead of just attack with one troop. Bluff is not a major part of control deck strategy but it do help slower control deck from time to time.

That's why I've proposed an optional button to do this (enabled by defaultbut anyone can disable it)
      Twitter: @Plotynus
    • DeathRealm wrote:

No reduced time for match\turn\round please. It would benefit aggro players and weaken controll players. As for now, time for match seems do be fair.

ThomThom wrote:

I am for reduced time for round, match, turn, whatever, but absolutely not for some auto pass priority.

I've played last AV with Draw-Go and I've used like 10 minutes per match (thats would be average 3-4m per game), even when I've played against other draw-go decks.
    • Let's not get into the reduced time argument again. There are plenty of us who think there is way to much time and plenty who like to sap every second of their clock.

For the ladder the total clock isn't really the issue. Most of my opponents don't even go past 15~ minutes or so. It is just frustrating watching an opponent get to 15 minutes remaining while I still have over 25. A good deal of this is because I use my auto pass hotkey when I have no legal plays. Most don't.

Honestly I don't mind when people have decisions on complex boards if they take a little while. That is what makes games fun to me. The clock issue most time isn't from this though. It is 20 seconds here and 45 seconds there because my opponent isn't being attentive while they have no legal plays and I'm just sitting there waiting for my card to resolve while they have no resources up and no other plays they could make on board.
    • auto passing priority as default when you have no plays is an option, but i dislike it because it introduces one more "gotcha" to the game that you have to learn to not be in a disadvantage, like setting phase stops after main phase & before attacks or damage phase stops. But i'd really love to have a split Pass Priority button with one part to just pass this priority and the other to pass all prioritys. This makes it really obvious that this is an option you have compared to what we have now.
    • Ferur wrote:

auto passing priority as default when you have no plays is an option, but i dislike it because it introduces one more "gotcha" to the game that you have to learn to not be in a disadvantage
      HXE just should make it very clear in the tutorial or elsewhere that it is an option, it is in the settings menu, it is toggleable, and it is ON by default.
      [BLOOD] [WILD] [DIAMOND] [SAPPHIRE] [RUBY]
    • No, it should NEVER be on by default. Having auto pass on is the clearest tell you can give to your opponent that you do not have any counters and/or combat tricks. That is a tell I never want to give away ever. I always take some seconds each time opponent passes priority to avoid giving away free tells.

It should be more highlighted that it exists though so that new players actually use it when they should (for example when they are all out of mana and activations).
    • DeathRealm wrote:

and it is ON by default
      It is a bad idea for a competitive or semi-competitive game to have a system that tells your opponent 'I am new at the game' be toggled on by default. New players have it hard enough in complex games like this, without having the added burden of their opponent having huge advantages simply because of a menu option.

I like Jeff's original idea of having some sort of prompting that suggests they auto-pass as there's nothing left they can play. As long as the UI is handled correctly for it, it'd assist with the issue without creating a 'let's make the game even more punishing on new players'.

Suggesting they simply 'add a better tutorial' is all well and good, but Hex doesn't seem interested in improving the NPE, as they still haven't made ANY realistic changes to it after years of good suggestions from a wide wide variety of players... so expecting a change like this to be properly tutorialed is kind of unlikely.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • I'm for the option, but it should be off by default. Then, in the "helper" message that tells them they can F10 to finish their turn, it can also mention that you can enable this automatically in your settings. It won't catch all newbies eating up time, but it will give them no good excuse to be doing so any longer.
    • Plotynus wrote:

ThomThom wrote:

Why ?

That's why I've proposed an optional button to do this (enabled by defaultbut anyone can disable it)
      Optional. Can't agree more +1
      Siege smasher since 2018.
    • There is already an auto-pass all option, the game saying, "how bout you stop being a self-interested prick and remember that you are playing with another human", isn't going to significantly change the experience. It also takes a blind eye to the idea that taking extra time and trying to piss your opponent off IS a strategy.

Add a progressive timer that is multiplied when the player has conditions that reduce the number of available decision a player CAN make. If the player; has no resources OR no cards in hand OR plays on the board then his/her clock ticks faster. If you have no cards, no resources and no board plays you are, by definition, either not paying attention to the game or are attempting to stall/aggravate your opponent. If that is your strategy, fine, you have to pay for it. Every second that passes in that state, four seconds pass on the clock. Fucking play the game, or don't.

BUT THE LAG! Yeah, I get that, ... BUT THE AUTOPASS! If a player has auto-pass turned on, no time should be passing for the player while the system figures that out.
    • Interestingly, it sounds like a game similar to Hex that was released recently has an on-by-default autopass when you have no actions that you can take (or you have clicked the end turn button). You can disable it temporarily with a keypress, or disable it for the rest of the game with a different keypress, but it always starts the game on.

Hard to say whether players like this system yet, but the feedback I read was at least somewhat positive. There were definitely questions from multiple people about why they couldn't respond to actions at the end of their turn. It also presents some interesting bluffing opportunities by having the autopass on (which presumably the other player will notice), but then bluffing by temporarily disabling it at important points (making the other player think you must have an action available, since clearly you have autopass on).