What is wrong with the RNG in this game?

    • What is wrong with the RNG in this game?

      Just drew 13 shards in a row (20 shard deck) and this is just the thing that prompted me to finally post. There has got to be something wrong with the rng based on the BS that happens. Getting resource starved so tweak for a few more resources, suddenly flooded every game. I've spent days upon days just tweaking a deck over and over to make it so that I get even hands but it doesn't happen ever. Just the other game I had a hand of all blood shards, mulligan, got all blood shards again, mulligan, all blood shards again. You may be thinking, "must have had too many blood shards in that deck," there was eight, it was a three color deck.

      So what the hell? This isn't my first card game and I've never seen RNG act like this. I tried introducing a friend and one of the first things he commented on was, "what's with the RNG? You're always starved or flooded."
    • The RNG is actually rigged to our advantage when it comes to the starting hand. I am rarely seeing those 1 shard starting hands and have never seem a 0 shard one despite having played over 1000 games. After that point though, random is random which will give us long streaks of no shards or all shards. That is really what RNG is.
    • Jangles wrote:

      Just drew 13 shards in a row (20 shard deck) and this is just the thing that prompted me to finally post. There has got to be something wrong with the rng based on the BS that happens. Getting resource starved so tweak for a few more resources, suddenly flooded every game. I've spent days upon days just tweaking a deck over and over to make it so that I get even hands but it doesn't happen ever. Just the other game I had a hand of all blood shards, mulligan, got all blood shards again, mulligan, all blood shards again. You may be thinking, "must have had too many blood shards in that deck," there was eight, it was a three color deck.

      So what the hell? This isn't my first card game and I've never seen RNG act like this. I tried introducing a friend and one of the first things he commented on was, "what's with the RNG? You're always starved or flooded."
      If you have access to recording software, you might want to try recording your matches. If there is a problem, you could provide the recording of the specifics of what was happening to HXE. And if there isn't a problem, looking at the recording of all the results might help indicate that the results you're noticing are outside of the norm and just occur randomly once in a great while.
    • Again, we have discussed this with you. There used to be a lot of forum posts about this subject and its fill bad moments. Hex then change the shuffle to not included flooded or screwed opening hands. As for the rest of the deck, it is completely random. Any feelings you have are due to you remembering the bad at the complete exclusion of the other 90-95% of games where it is fine. There is nothing wrong with the game or its shuffle. Decks should typically contain 40% shards, so 24 in a deck of 60 like standard and 17 for a limited format like drafting.
    • Jangles wrote:

      "You're the only guy to complain about this"

      Next post

      "Oh look it's this thread again."

      Hm...
      There is no issue.

      What he means with "oh look it's this thread again":

      Once every one or probably two months there is somebody who just had very bad luck like:

      - drawing no shards
      - drawing extremly many shards
      - not drawing the power cards all the time
      - opponent always drawing his single bomb in every game
      Etc etc

      Not exactly same content of complain, but always same reason it was made:

      Frustration about bad luck.

      And its never a very good idea to create threads because of such short term frustration. Take the hit like a man and proceed to next game. ;)

      If it happens 100 out of 100 times, THAN you should start such a thread
    • But this is a persistent issue for me and the people I play with, I'm not making this post after one game, I'm making it after being marred by this issue on a consistent basis.

      Why do people just assume, "must be just some mad person who had one bad game." I said it wasn't just me, how many times can you mulligan in to a full hand of just shards before that's a bit weird?

      If multiple people are complaining about something then it's a persistent issue, if I'm finding the majority of the rounds I play in my gaming session result in poor RNG then that's not just complaining about one game.

      Here is a fun example I've been monitoring, the RNG on Ethereal Healers. 5% to put in to play per heal source, four in deck, that means a D20 is rolled four times per heal source. I had 8 Daylights in play, two Adamnthian Scrivener's and a Shoku's garden in play, those are the heal sources. Then I am summoning about 4 dreadlings a turn. So to count that's 16 rolls a turn times four E. Healers, 64 rolls per turn. Four turns without a single E. Healer summoned.

      So yeah, I'm watching things, yes I'm doing the math, and yes, I'm not the only one noticing. Feel free to shrug all that off, though.
    • Jangles wrote:

      If multiple people are complaining about something then it's a persistent issue, if I'm finding the majority of the rounds I play in my gaming session result in poor RNG then that's not just complaining about one game.


      Here is a fun example I've been monitoring, the RNG on Ethereal Healers. 5% to put in to play per heal source, four in deck, that means a D20 is rolled four times per heal source. I had 8 Daylights in play, two Adamnthian Scrivener's and a Shoku's garden in play, those are the heal sources. Then I am summoning about 4 dreadlings a turn. So to count that's 16 rolls a turn times four E. Healers, 64 rolls per turn. Four turns without a single E. Healer summoned.

      So yeah, I'm watching things, yes I'm doing the math, and yes, I'm not the only one noticing. Feel free to shrug all that off, though.
      True RNG can do things like that, its unlikely but thats how it goes. I would recommend not changing your deck when encountering screw/flood if your shard amount is designed correctly. Bad RNG happens that what RNG does, also very good RNG happens. Drawing guaranteed shards/non shards in x cards would not be RNG.

      And yes it feels bad l have the opposite example that I just lived through recently in siege, my opponent played adamantian scrivener, triggering 1 lifegain hitting 2 healers on turn 1. As you can imagine I lost that game felt bad. However I did the same to the AI over and over again back in the day when I played FRA with lifegain.

      As other people said there are algorithms in place to rigg starting hands avoiding flood/screw opening hands.
    • Lunavi wrote:

      The RNG is actually rigged to our advantage when it comes to the starting hand. I am rarely seeing those 1 shard starting hands and have never seem a 0 shard one despite having played over 1000 games. After that point though, random is random which will give us long streaks of no shards or all shards. That is really what RNG is.
      Yeah, that is actually public knowledge and intended - The bottom 10% and top 5% of hands in terms of shard count will never be your starting hand.
    • vestris wrote:

      I would recommend not changing your deck when encountering screw/flood if your shard amount is designed correctly
      I want to emphasis this so many new people make this mistake and it only make it worse. If your shard base is correct adding because you screwed last game will only make you more likely to flood and then you subtract. Ending in a vicious cycle of you blaming rng for a issue you are creating.
    • I'm not going to video capture every game I have, all I do is write down the numbers I encounter. If it's true RNG it wouldn't be consistently in the negative. Over time it'd balance, but I'm seeing multiple examples of RNG skewing in to the negative. Not just on draw, but in every aspect of the game. I am happy to give multiple examples of this but I simply keep track of the numbers. It's not like anyone is going to video capture to prove otherwise, and I'd have to post so many video captures to prove my point. And even if I posted 100 video captures I'm sure you'd all just say, "Well that's just RNG for you."

      I've played other card games, they don't do this. This game gets bad reviews for a reason, and it's due to poor gameplay experiences that people are having. Other card games don't get these sort of reviews. I want to enjoy this game because I like that it's a MtG clone, but how can you say I'm the only one with these poor game experiences when the reviews for this game are so poor? I can't even get my friends to play it because after a few hours they keep coming to the same conclusion, "The RNG in this game isn't working correctly." If I can't even introduce new people to the game because of this, how can everyone here be so content to just say, "nah, it's just you."

      I mean, you really don't think a game company would skew RNG in to the negative in order to lower gold farming rates and incentivize real cash purchases? It seems like a reasonable business strategy, casinos do stuff like this all the time. Give people a sense of winning every so often but overall you're losing more often.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Jangles ().

    • Jangles wrote:

      I mean, you really don't think a game company would skew RNG in to the negative in order to lower gold farming rates and incentivize real cash purchases? It seems like a reasonable business strategy, casinos do stuff like this all the time. Give people a sense of winning every so often but overall you're losing more often.
      r/conspiracy

      • Member since May 2nd 2018


      I'm pretty sure that others would've noticed that already. You. Are. Paranoid.

      twitch.tv/hextcg/videos/all
      There's 1,815 videos in there. With so many games in each, I'm sure you'll find something to validate your claim.

      At least pick a more valid conspiracy theory regarding the game such as "Lawsuit prohibited introduction of EDH" or "There was never Sony marketing promise".
    • If keeping track of the numbers is what you have, that would be interesting to share. I'd do it going forward, not trying to go back to data that you encountered previously and made you suspect that there was an issue. I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by "RNG skewing in to the negative", but I'm by no means a stats buff, so it may just be me not knowing the lingo. The most important thing is to look at ALL the numbers, not just the ones that confirm your belief.

      "I mean, you really don't think a game company would skew RNG in to the negative in order to lower gold farming rates and incentivize real cash purchases?"

      I absolutely do not believe that Hex is breaking randomization intentionally. Hex has no stake in who wins or loses a match. It is no better for them if you win or your opponent wins. What does impact them is players enjoying the game. Intentionally making games frustrating for players would not be in their best interest, and they have even shown the opposite tendency with their opening hand algorithms. There is always the possibility of a software bug, but randomization is incredibly difficult for a single person to identify a problem with, so I hope you can understand when many people have a high level of skepticism.
    • That's not a conspiracy theory, it's verified info that casinos do that stuff all the time. I'm not sure how skewing for negative results is a conspiracy? Seems like dismissing a valid point is more of what you're trying to do. Companies engage in practices that potentially make them money, shaving off 5% of from auction house purchases is a practice that doesn't benefit the player and only exists to make them money. It may not be proven that they are skewing things negatively in the RNG but to dismiss it as a possibility when the concept is readily used in other game mediums is just silly.

      And yes it does effect them, if you lose more often against AI opponents you farm less gold overall, making it more difficult to play the game as a free player and incentivizes using real world money. How is that not a benefit for them?