[Immortal] Yotul Burn

• [Immortal] Yotul Burn

I thought I won't write about Immortal anytime soon, but since we will have soon Immortal Gauntlets, I could share some of my experience with this "budget" deck.

When I came back to Hex in February after a long break, I've found that Immortal had close to no support, except Hex Primal Immortal Championship Series (ICS) happening every two months. Immortal que wasn't competitive at all and I couldn't test any deck ideas I had. It was kinda painful, as ICS was approaching and I had to pick a deck for it literaly without any serious testing, but since I had pretty good memories with Yotul Mogak in pre- Herofall meta I've decided to give it a try in ICS for few reasons:

- Deck is easy and linear, in most cases we just reduce our enemy life with burn spells. Chance I mess something due to my lack of experiance in some matchups was low.
      - Deck is fast, so racing down any kind of Cyclone Shaper sapphire deck shouldn't be hard.
      - Burning Ire was supposed to make any kind of wild and blood matchups rather easy.
      - And I had all the cards for it...

While many of you know how Yotul Mogak is working, I guess we should say few words about it for those who doesn't. Yotul Mogak decks are built around champion, and while I say built around champion, I don't mean champion is addition to the deck, but every card in deck is selected to scale with Yotul Mogak ability - may those be creatures, which deal direct damage like Ghostblade Duelist, Arena Regular, Darkspire Priestess, Whirling Brutalizer, spells like Burn or other sources of damage like Ebony Pawn. Some lists may include Light Em Up as value option as literaly every card will allow us to replay it, some may play Runic Passion or Feral Formulation to refuel hand with more Burn spells.

So, I've decided to play during February ICS with following list (I've went 4-2, finishing at 7th place after swiss, but dropped before top8 was pulled, don't ask me why), but keep in mind it was before Doombringer Kha trampled world of Entrath:

CHAMPION
      Yotul Mogak

TROOPS
      4 Ghostblade Duelist
      4 Arena Regular
      3 Darkspire Priestess
      4 Whirling Brutalizer

ACTIONS
      4 Burn
      3 Fireball
      4 Crackling Bolt
      2 Burning Tendrils
      2 Electrofry

ARTIFACTS
      4 Blood Infusion Device
      4 Ebony Pawn

RESOURCES
      10 Ruby Shard
      4 Shard of Hatred
      4 Well of Hatred
      3 Quash Ridge Rubble
      1 Blood Shard

RESERVES
      3 Zygmunt's Game
      4 Burning Ire
      4 Crackling Magma
      1 Darkspire Priestess
      1 Burning Tendrils
      1 Cleave
      1 Electrofry

Few thoughts rather than deep analysis:

Haraza the Incinerator sapphire/ruby sockets. It was rather easy 2-0, as I had deck filled with removal.

Two Bar'dak the Butcher playing up to 9-10 Vampires each. Similar to Haraza it wasn't big issue, as I was prepared for mono blood. Vampires were perfect targets for Burning Ire and Burning Tendrils; Arena Regular played properly with resource following it and Darkspire Priestess even when killed did their job; Ebony Pawn can steal game on it's own in such slow and grindy matchup, unless Dark Heart of Nulzann happens and Bar'dak the Butcher ability was nothing more than suicide against burn style deck. Finished one 2-0 and other 2-1 as I took once Bride of the Damned into the knee during one of those matches while drawing too many creatures at same time.

Nineveh - I thought it will be walk in the park, but nope. Hands I got were too slow, don't remember if I was taking mulligans, but I remember I was mad at myself for not playing any Reginald's Riposte or Nefarious Corruptor in my reserves. Painful 0-2.

Angus the Arsonist so late during tournament was rather unexpected, as Lazgar's Vengeance was banned. It should be horrible matchup, but it wasn't as my opponent wasn't playing my worst nighmare - Mama Yeti, so all of his creatures were rather easy to burn down, 2-1.

A mirror match, where 1st game I had shard screw and shard flood in 2nd, but to be honest, my build was worse for mirror as Light Em Up is pretty good card in this matchup and I was the one not playing it, 0-2.

I was happy about both my performance and meta prediction, but I knew I need to work a bit on Nineveh Extra Turns matchup in the future. Time has passed and again I had no opportunity to do any real testing, but this time Doombringer was released. I believed Doombringer made Yotul Mogak much stronger, not just because it's own resource base got more stable with Remnant of Hatred, but because there was huge chance my opponents would be playing Remnants themselves, thus their life totals will be lower on average, what is more Fatal Feast should be pretty good in aggro matchups, as it could eat even Underworld Crusader while gaining some life, combined with Blood Infusion Device should make racing with other aggresive decks much easier. Obviously, I've also added Nefarious Corruptor to my reserves, as lesson was learned, which was probably the best change I made. I've also added untested Necropolis Coins as possible burn on resource, but it backfired - I've cycled it once during entire tournament and pretty often it was just Mastery of Time for my opponent as Necropolis Coins forced me to pass my turns transforming me into a slug without resources to play his cards. There were also other little mistakes made during creating list for ICS, but we will take about them later.

• I've played following list [5-1, 3rd post swiss, 1-1 in top8, 3-4th place):

CHAMPION
      Yotul Mogak

TROOPS
      4 Ghostblade Duelist
      4 Arena Regular
      3 Darkspire Priestess
      4 Whirling Brutalizer

ACTIONS
      3 Burn
      3 Fireball
      4 Crackling Bolt
      3 Burning Tendrils
      2 Fatal Feast

ARTIFACTS
      4 Blood Infusion Device
      4 Ebony Pawn

RESOURCES
      10 Ruby Shard
      4 Necropolis Coins
      4 Well of Hatred
      2 Remnant of Hatred
      2 Shard of Hatred

RESERVES
      4 Burning Ire
      2 Crackling Magma
      3 Nefarious Corruptor
      2 Runic Passion
      1 Fatal Feast
      3 Electrofry

So how it went?
      Well, in round one I was against mustachemagic piloting Kagulichu with 8 Remnants as it was built around Count Dragomir. In game 1 I was simply lucky as Howling Brave into Brilliant Annihilix (speed/random discard both requiring [BLOOD], not online on turn 2 as he had only [WILD] [WILD] [DIAMOND] was rather scary, but Ebony Pawn followed by two Whirling Brutalizers was more than enough to win. Game 2 was another luck feast on my side, as I got all Burning Ires, so after few minutes I was done.
      In next round I've played against The Blackberry Knight. Game 1 my opponent failed to combo, I guess he simply drew too many shards, while game two was stolen by Nefarious Corruptor, as taking extra turns with Nefarious Corruptor ability on Rowdy Piper and low life isn't really winning move, so next 2-0.
      Thrid round was as "easy" as previous one. Sapphire/diamond Psychic Ascension is simply too slow and not enough interactive. What is more all those little candles it spawns are perfect targets for Nefarious Corruptor. While those games took a little longer than previous one, I was favoured in this matchup since beginning, 2-0.
      Round fourth I was paired against Rolfusius mono red, which was such surprise I couldn't understanding what is going on until I've lost 0-2. No it wasn't typical Angus the Arsonist beatdown, but deck centered around Light Em Up, Sunsoul Phoenix and interaction between Fury Chant and cards with runic. Fact that Sharpshooter Sahas had high starting HP pool wasn't helping, when I couldn't interact with Fury Chants.

After that little shock I was paired again against sapphire/diamond Psychic Ascension and it was once again 2-0.
      In last round of swiss I was matched vs aggro for first time in this tournament piloted by Steric, but since it was the same [WILD] [BLOOD] socket lists he did top8 previous ICS I knew what I can expect. You can see this match on ICS coverage by hacky, it starts at 3:25:25. While game I was able to snowball, game two was pretty close, 2-0.
      Top8:
      I've played against Nineveh and my Necropolis Coins backfired game 1 and I've lost because of them. Game two I've won at 5th turn, despise fact I was once again crippled with two exhausted resources (tip: exhausted resources are bad, m'kaaaay?). Game three was mulligan to 5 on xbete side, so 2-1.
      Again you can see this match during ICS coverage by hacky, it starts at 4:10:50.
      Top4:
      Played against Lady Avalanche [WILD] [DIAMOND] Momentum and I couldn't do anything with Lifedrain Brilliant Annihilix... but honestly not Brilliant Annihilix was actual problem, but Necropolis Coins once again slowed me down for a turn in both games. If I would simply play Blood Shard over Necropolis Coins game result would be probably 2-0 instead of 0-2, for sure I would win 1st game.
      Again you can see this match during ICS coverage by hacky, it starts at 5:44:00.

So... few thoughts after last ICS:
      - I shouldn't have played Necropolis Coins at all.
      - I should've cut Shard of Hatred and play playset of Remnant of Hatred instead, this way I wouldn't have any exhausted resources in deck and it would be much faster. Probably Root of Hatred could be good, as it can also counter Runebind and be played as 1/1 resource when we need tempo.
      - I shouldn't have removed Zygmunt's Game as in my orginal list it was response to spellshield Rune Ear Hierophant it would be good removal for Brilliant Annihilix. However, Extinction could be better choice.
      - I should've played Light Em Up and Sunsoul Phoenix over Darkspire Priestesses, Whirling Brutalizers and one Arena Regular. That would make deck more explosive, because Light Em Up combined with Burn allows to play Sunsoul Phoenix at three resources for free, well all Sunsoul Phoenixes in hand. What is more, both Light Em Up and Sunsoul Phoenix can be used again and again in longer games.

If I would have to play Yotul Mogak burn today, it would probably look like this:

"CREATURES"
      4 Light 'em Up
      4 Ghostblade Duelist
      4 Sunsoul Phoenix

ACTIONS
      4 Burn
      3 Cremate
      3 Fireball
      4 Crackling Bolt
      2 Burning Tendrils
      2 Electrofry

ARTIFACTS
      4 Blood Infusion Device
      4 Ebony Pawn

RESOURCES
      10 Ruby Shard
      3 Blood Shard
      4 Well of Hatred
      4 Remnant of Hatred
      1 Root of Hatred

RESERVES
      4 Extinction
      3 Nefarious Corruptor
      4 Burning Ire
      2 Fatal Feast
      2 Feral Formulation

Thanks for reading!
    • LOVELAIN wrote:

Thanks for the article, I appreciate the insight as someone looking to get into Immortal. I have some questions about your final configuration:

- which gem do you use in Nefarious Corruptor?

- what match-up are the Feral Formulations for?
      I've tried few different gems in it, but Minor Blood of Intimidation seems to be the best, as we don't want to trade him with "cursed" creature, but it can depend on matchup.

Feral Formulation is supposed to be tech against [BLOOD] controls, where they can put us into topdeck mode pretty fast with their discard.
    • Great, thanks, that helps a lot. One more thing I just thought about - have you considered Gorge of the Gore God at all? I know you can't buff the creature damage with Yotul unlike with Burning Tendrils, but it's more efficient at 4 and 5 mana and can kill Brilliant Annihilix.
    • LOVELAIN wrote:

Great, thanks, that helps a lot. One more thing I just thought about - have you considered Gorge of the Gore God at all? I know you can't buff the creature damage with Yotul unlike with Burning Tendrils, but it's more efficient at 4 and 5 mana and can kill Brilliant Annihilix.
      I thought about Gorge of the Gore God, you can be played in Burning Tendrils slot to have more ways to deal with Brilliant Annihilix, but Brilliant Annihilix should is issue only when buffed with Lady Avalanche ability, but then a) Gorge of the Gore God is basic action and can't respond to that, nor it can be used as quick removal in matchups when you need to kill creatures with speed before they swing, b) Brilliant Annihilix will be already out of reach of Gorge of the Gore God when you will be able to play it. I think Extinction is much more versatile card.

Edit:
      It's not more efficient than Burning Tendrils at 4-5 mana, as at 4 mana Gorge of the Gore God is -3/-3 and 4 damage (it's 1+X) and Burning Tendrils with ability deal 4 to troop and 3 face so it still outperforms Gorge of the Gore God as removal. Gorge of the Gore God can be better only at 5 resources, but it's again worse at 6 when you can Empower your Burning Tendrils.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Morwath ().

• Morwath wrote:

I thought about Gorge of the Gore God, you can be played in Burning Tendrils slot to have more ways to deal with Brilliant Annihilix, but Brilliant Annihilix should is issue only when buffed with Lady Avalanche ability, but then a) Gorge of the Gore God is basic action and can't respond to that, nor it can be used as quick removal in matchups when you need to kill creatures with speed before they swing, b) Brilliant Annihilix will be already out of reach of Gorge of the Gore God when you will be able to play it. I think Extinction is much more versatile card.
      That makes sense, thanks for answering.

Edit: That's if you have Yotul's ability available. Without it, Gorge at 4 is -3/-3 and 3 damage face, while Tendrils is 3 damage to creature and 2 damage face. And even with Yotul up, Gorge does more face damage (though you are right that it's weaker as a removal spell). Even if you get to Empower the Tendrils (I don't know how often that happens, but I imagine the deck doesn't really want to get to 6 mana consistently), Gorge does more damage to the opponent.

The post was edited 1 time, last by LOVELAIN ().

• LOVELAIN wrote:

Morwath wrote:

That makes sense, thanks for answering.

Edit: That's if you have Yotul's ability available. Without it, Gorge at 4 is -3/-3 and 3 damage face, while Tendrils is 3 damage to creature and 2 damage face. And even with Yotul up, Gorge does more face damage (though you are right that it's weaker as a removal spell). Even if you get to Empower the Tendrils (I don't know how often that happens, but I imagine the deck doesn't really want to get to 6 mana consistently), Gorge does more damage to the opponent.
      Thats true. However, for the list I've decided to pick both Burning Tendrils and Electrofry for main deck as removals to interact with opponent, they are both versatile and they go for face at same time. Gorge of the Gore God can deal more face damage, but in most cases fact that it will eat all of our resources during our main phase may be a drawback.

If Immortal Gauntlet meta will be full of Brilliant Annihilix, we could consider playing Gorge of the Gore God, but even then I would rather play mainboard Extinction, because it also kills spellshield Rune Ear Hierophant and does kill buffed Brilliant Annihilix no matter how big they are.

Depending on build there are also few other cards worth mentioning, which I forgot about in orginal posts:
      Ragefire can be interesting in more burn oriented version;
      Ruby's Favor can be played as artifact removal with go for face option;
      Righteous Outlaw can be played in regular list instead of Darkspire Priestess;
      Mysteres de l'angoisse can be interesting single reserve card for slow and grindy matchups like mono blood;
      Reginald's Riposte against sapphire turns, Psychic Ascension and ruby deck could be really sweet, but requires playing with open mana;
      Violet's Caress can be alternative as reserve card for Fatal Feast for aggresive matchups, but then we should run playset of it rather than just two;
      Vampire Princess can be alternative for Nefarious Corruptor against action oriented decks, but unlike Nefarious Corruptor it has to connect to make anything and still can reveal wrong card, thats why I've piecked Nefarious Corruptor over her. She could be good against aggro decks, but in most cases she will be killed by first removal.
    • A little update, as today, I had opportunity to play in ICS with Yotul Mogak once again and I was lucky enough to win it.

CHAMPION
      Yotul Mogak

TROOPS (14)
      4 Ghostblade Duelist
      4 Arena Regular
      3 Whirling Brutalizer
      3 Sunsoul Phoenix

ACTIONS (16)
      4 Burn
      4 Cremate
      4 Light 'Em Up
      4 Crackling Bolt

ARTIFACTS (8)
      4 Blood Infusion Device
      4 Ebony Pawn

RESOURCES (22)
      10 Ruby Shard
      4 Remnant of Hatred
      4 Well of Hatred
      2 Blood Shard
      2 Shard of Hatred

RESERVES (15)
      4 Burning Ire
      4 Inquisitor of Lumos
      3 Fatal Feast
      4 Extinction

About main deck changes:

I was already sure I will play version including both Light Em Up and Sunsoul Phoenix, but I've also realized I don't want to give up on Arena Regular and Whirling Brutalizer as I want to focus on snowballing greedy decks. In the end, I had to cut Fireball, Burning Tendrils and Electrofry, as those cards were too slow in pre-reserves when my goal was to drop either Sunsoul Phoenix or Whirling Brutalizer on my 3rd turn. Also, I've decided to not play Root of Hatred as it doesn't combo well with Well of Hatred.

About reserves changes:

The newest addition to my reserves was Inquisitor of Lumos replacing Nefarious Corruptor as I found it a bit more oppresive against [SAPPHIRE] decks.
      I've removed Feral Formulation , because I wasn't expecting much [BLOOD] controls and with extra two slots I added 4th Inquisitor of Lumos and 3rd Fatal Feast for more consistency.

Thoughts after tournament:

Yotul is amazing against all those greedy tri shard decks, like [WILD] [BLOOD] [DIAMOND] Kagulichu or [WILD] [DIAMOND] [SAPPHIRE] Thk'tatcha I've meet in finals. Addition of Extinction makes post reserve games against any kind of [WILD] decks much easier and [SAPPHIRE] decks are usualy in our reach and they can't do much with Inquisitor of Lumos on the board. I've lost only to two card fateweave combo, as my only way to interact with it was Burn after removing Fireball and Burning Tendrils and that wasn't enough.

• DeathRealm wrote:

That's a really cool deck and you are a deserved winner! Gratz on your result!

Also, thanks for the crazy match...those one HP on both sides in the third game ^^
      Game three was similar to game one for me. In both of those one of us needed an extra resource to win.
      To be honest, after taking two muligans I was tilted so much, as muligan to 5 with Yotul Mogak is beyond devastating, especially in such unfavored matchup
      At this point I was ready to forfeit and go on a walk to vent my frustration, but part of me was constantly asking "what if I will draw Extinction into Extinction"?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A little bonus, a budget list (commons/uncommons), for those who would like to try Yotul Mogak, but don't want invest in it too much.

Display Spoiler

4 Ghostblade Duelist
      4 Arena Regular
      3 Darkspire Priestess
      4 Whirling Brutalizer

4 Blood Infusion Device
      4 Ebony Pawn

4 Burn
      3 Cremate
      4 Crackling Bolt
      2 Burning Tendrils
      2 Cleave

10 Ruby Shard
      4 Blood Shard
      4 Shard of Hatred
      4 Root of Hatred

Reserves:
      1 Darkspire Priestess
      1 Cleave
      2 Pyretic Performer or Gnatmares
      3 Fatal Feast
      4 Bleed Out
      4 Burning Ire

Few words about reserve choices:

Darkspire Priestess should be put in against aggresive decks as extra blocker, or against any deck that will run Carnasaurus and/or Succulent Cluckodon as it will be replacing one of Ghostblade Duelists. Cleave is our way to deal with multiple small creatures and it obviously goes face. Both Pyretic Performer and Gnatmares are supposed to fill same role as value creatues we can put against aggresive decks. While Pyretic Performer gives us Scorch, which can be used as a removal, Gnatmares can give us some extra health. Fatal Feast is another anty aggro card. Burning Ire is our best option against both [WILD] and [BLOOD] decks. Bleed Out should help us with removing spellshield Rune Ear Hierophants and Brilliant Annihilix, if they are the only threats on board.

• Thanks guys. I agree with you @MtgCollector that your heavy mulligan was unfortunate.
      -------------------------------------------------------

I've been watching results of Gauntlets, as I had no time to play any yet, but I've few thoughts:

- We have seen Mordrom's Gift decks doing pretty well. While racing them down may be good option, I believe Reginald's Riposte could be good choice if such combos will get more popular;
      - Drowned Shrine of Ulthar can be nice with so many [SAPPHIRE] decks around, while it isn't as oppresive as Inquisitor of Lumos, Shrine will dodge Transmogrifade. However, I wouldn't play more than two copies of it, as drawing multiples isn't that great;
      - If we will see more lifegain played, Emberspire Witch could be a good choice, maybe even in our 60, rather than 75.