Current Active Standard Streamers?

• Plotynus wrote:

Ancient greek is the best language I've ever learned. A lot of concepts behind every word. For example, all the words derived from φαίνω (phaino - to appear) and have direct impact in philosophy, religion, etc (for example: that root appears either in phenomenon -i.e. something that occurs- and phantom -i.e. something that "appears"). I left my studies in ancient philosophy and religion a few years ago and I kind of miss them from time to time. So, if you bring up a greek etymology, you can be sure I'll be quoting it and saying another nerdy stuff.

Oh hey cool, my wife has her Master's in Classics, focusing on ancient Greek. :)

I can't even begin to tell you how giddy she was when an online company started selling an "Oderint dum Metuant" t-shirt (I hope I spelled that right). ;)
    --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
    - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well
  • Ossuary wrote:

Plotynus wrote:

Ancient greek is the best language I've ever learned. A lot of concepts behind every word. For example, all the words derived from φαίνω (phaino - to appear) and have direct impact in philosophy, religion, etc (for example: that root appears either in phenomenon -i.e. something that occurs- and phantom -i.e. something that "appears"). I left my studies in ancient philosophy and religion a few years ago and I kind of miss them from time to time. So, if you bring up a greek etymology, you can be sure I'll be quoting it and saying another nerdy stuff.
    Oh hey cool, my wife has her Master's in Classics, focusing on ancient Greek. :)

I can't even begin to tell you how giddy she was when an online company started selling an "Oderint dum Metuant" t-shirt (I hope I spelled that right). ;)
    I had that shirt for a while! :)
    Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
  • Ossuary wrote:

I've always loved the etymology of words and phrases like that. I'm endlessly fascinated by turns of phrase in other cultures, especially when there are ones that can't even be accurately translated into other languages or have highly specific local meanings that just sound like nonsense in other languages.

Probably my current favorite is the old Polish phrase that literally translates to "Would you like to buy a brick?" Which actually means "I am robbing you - give me your money or I'll bash your head in with this brick." The only ones that are funnier and cooler than that to me are ones Patrick Rothfuss made up for his Cealdish merchants to say... things like "Shit in God's beard," and "Don't stick a fork in your eye over it" (which roughly is meant to mean "don't let it drive you crazy"). Fun stuff. :)
    You should try one of the Asian languages if you have any interest in the Eastern cultures. You will certainly learn a lot of cultural difference from them. For instance, there are a lot of "humbling words or sentences"(or pleasantries, I guess) in Chinese and Japanese, like we have to add things like "sorry to bother you", "sorry for the trouble" on some menial things and the other side has to reply with "no need to thank me", "it's no trouble" and so on. We also have to reject praises because it is a sign of humbling. Being proud of yourself is sort of forbidden here -- but also depending on the circumstances, I guess. I guess it can be seen as polite and well-mannered, but after living here for many years I just felt like they are just cultural SOP people do because they have to, not they want to.

Chinese also has a crap ton of specific terms for every "type" of relative. In English, it's just uncle and aunt OR at most you add "-in-law". In Chinese, father's elder brother, mother's younger sister, mother's father's sister and so on are all granted specific characters to present just that specific relationship. We also have to label them numerically so like "big uncle" for the eldest, "second uncle" and vice versa. I remember my English teacher explained it this way. Chinese cares a lot about family(an important aspect of Confucian philosophy) and all sort of relationships so they designed a lot of terms on them; English cares a lot about time so they designed a lot of tenses. Time is simple in Chinese, it's just "past", "present" and "future" and we don't have to add "-ed" or whatever on any of them.

There are also plenty of untranslatable terms, as I would assume every language would have. Like "add oil" in Chinese is a cheering term, akin to "ganbatte" in Japanese, but would make no sense in English unless you are filling a tank or cooking. "River and lake" refers to the martial world in Wuxia genre or the underworld in modern era.

Also, would you like to buy a brick is f-ing cool. I could see it being a phrase in a movie.
  • Goliathus wrote:

Also, would you like to buy a brick is f-ing cool. I could see it being a phrase in a movie.

Yeah, I really love the phrase, and I feel bad that I mis-remembered the exact translation slightly. Karot reminded me that it's actually closer to "Can I sell you a brick?" Still a frickin' cool saying. :)
    --ossuary

• It doesn't really surprise me that a bunch of the people I've butted heads with here are piling on to dump on me along with the human garbage that is Unsleeved Media.

I'm not embarrassed about anything that I've done. I cut an awful person out of my life instead of trying to change them when I knew I couldn't.

If you like associating with people who are sexist, racist, homophobic, and a slew of other unpleasant things - that is great for you. I choose not to do that in my personal life.

In other news I'm currently closing in on 2000~ sub points on Twitch and have been streaming as a full time job for a few months now.

So next time you want to crap on me by saying I never contributed anything to Hex - keep in mind I was streaming Hex instead of making this my job for a long time with more popular games. I probably lost out on more monetary gain than any of you have put into this game long term.

I don't regret my choice, Hex remains probably the best game I've ever played. Just a nice data point for people who think I didn't deserve what I got around here, I worked hard for it.
  • JeffHoogland wrote:

In other news I'm currently closing in on 2000~ sub points on Twitch and have been streaming as a full time job for a few months now.
    Awesome.

If HXE manages to wriggle out of the situation and get their shit and the game together, you can probably hold on to more than 200 people when bait-and-switching to playing Hex.

Sucks that part of your infamy originated from the aforementioned shitty situation but hey, "there's no bad publicity, just publicity" as they say (or is it "press"? "advertising"?).
  • @JeffHoogland
    Noone denies that you are a successful streamer. And yes...you actually did lose money by streaming hex that much in the past.
    That being said right now the game/company is in an especialy bad spot. So maybe you want to come back since you want to support the game still?
    I am not trying to troll here...the game def. could use any support it can get at this point. An outside investor/buyer seeing a big streamer streaming hex might actually help a lot.
    But maybe you have also given up by now. I cant scold you anyways. If I was you I would certainly keep streaming mtg since it is so hard to make streaming a success and you have basically done it finally so why risk anything.

It is just funny that less than a year ago you said during one of your streams:
    "Hex, from an outsiders perspective, seems like they've been consitently making good decisions and using their ressources wisely."

Just out of curiosity..do you still think this way? I doubt many people would agree with above statement.

Last but not least I watched your video where you rant about the use of the word "cancer". You say that that word should not be used at all. Even not when describing things like "this deck is cancer". It is honestly an interesting thought. Personaly I disagree because of the implications (this would be just a step too far imo). That being said language is constantly evolving so maybe we wont indeed reference to things as cancer because it may trigger others at some time in the future.

What I wonder though...if it is bad to use the word when describing things is it then also bad to use the word as a direct insult at other players (like: "you are a cancer")? I would even say it is worse since in latter case the word is used as a direct insult. But I am interested in on your stance on that question.
  • I'm always fascinated by the "whatever, I'm successful" defense / response to attacks. As if a person's work justifies or excuses their actions in everyday life. This is especially funny coming from people whose "work" doesn't even contribute to the functioning of society, like entertainers and athletes.

Note: this is not an attack on anyone. I'm just saying this kind of talk amuses me highly. Why do people even feel the need to "defend" themselves from such comments? And why is your level of success even perceived as a potential defense against comments on your character? The whole premise is ridiculous. If someone's attacking you, just ignore them. Don't engage. It's not like it's hurting you.

As Puck might say (if his Dream hadn't Ended), "Lord, what fools these mortals be!" The ego is such a fragile thing. :)
    --ossuary

• Metronomy wrote:

It is just funny that less than a year ago you said during one of your streams:
    "Hex, from an outsiders perspective, seems like they've been consitently making good decisions and using their ressources wisely."

Just out of curiosity..do you still think this way? I doubt many people would agree with above statement.
    Opinions change as we get more information. This was said before we knew they spent whatever unholy amount of work they put into Siege instead of the endless other details the game needed improved from a software perspective.

I only promote / stream things that I believe are good to promote to my audience. I enjoy Hex as a game a good deal, promoting it in its current state is not something I can do in good conscious though. Getting people to buy into something at the prices Hex tends to have when it might not be here for very long would isn't good for me to be doing.

Ossuary wrote:

I'm always fascinated by the "whatever, I'm successful" defense / response to attacks. As if a person's work justifies or excuses their actions in everyday life. This is especially funny coming from people whose "work" doesn't even contribute to the functioning of society, like entertainers and athletes.
    I didn't do this. My response to the "attacks" was this:

JeffHoogland wrote:

I'm not embarrassed about anything that I've done. I cut an awful person out of my life instead of trying to change them when I knew I couldn't.

If you like associating with people who are sexist, racist, homophobic, and a slew of other unpleasant things - that is great for you. I choose not to do that in my personal life.
    In fact, I said "in other news" before talking about my work to show that I had moved on to a different topic. The only purpose of bringing up my work was to point out how much work I'd put in here, because it is directly relevant in relation to the rude people who like to imply I didn't deserve / hadn't worked for the exalted spot I got.
  • I will just say that some catched on onto the fact that HXE was not making all the right decisions and were not spending their ressources wisely earlier than a year ago.
    Maybe if more had and maybe when they would have been loud enough there would have been enough time for a course correction. Thats why I never understand people complaining about the negativity of the forums recently. Imo the forum was not negative enough for way too long. For the longest time people stayed completely calm and were completely forgiving with everything HXE did although it was often clear that there are issues.

As to the argument for why you are not streaming hex anymore...I dont know what to make of it.
    HXE implemented signature decks with the purpose to make cards and getting started with hex cheaper (with success I might add). And they also implemented immortal gauntlet. Two points you wished and two points you laid out as part of the reason for why you were not streaming hex anymore (besides the community of course...and correct me if Im wrong but thats what I remember). After those implementations you did only a very very limited amount of hex streams though.

I think the main point is just about twitch numbers. It doesnt make you any smaller acknowledging it imo. I completely understand that argument and would do the same myself.

You put a lot of work into Hex. You maybe remember that I never was part of the group who said you didnt deserve the exalted title.
    But you are right..some people are indeed rude. Some people even use the word "cancer" as a personal insult and then go on a rant later saying that people should not use that word in any context whatsoever (inclduing when describing things like "decks").

The post was edited 2 times, last by Metronomy ().

• To be fair, hex is not doing well and there is a distinct possibility it will go under. If I was Jeff, I wouldnt promote the game on twitch right now.

I agree with Metro, the people who put their head in the sand and just blamed the forums did alot more harm then good. The people who said asynch draft was fine when it was clearly trending lower did not help the game either. The people who said the slaughtergear nerf was fine did not help either.
  • Pandaemonium wrote:

To be fair, hex is not doing well and there is a distinct possibility it will go under. If I was Jeff, I wouldnt promote the game on twitch right now.

I agree with Metro, the people who put their head in the sand and just blamed the forums did alot more harm then good. The people who said asynch draft was fine when it was clearly trending lower did not help the game either. The people who said the slaughtergear nerf was fine did not help either.
    The minor changes to HEX, in reference to what the playerbase thought of those changes has nothing to do with HEX going down.

Blame what needs to be blamed....

Niche demographic focus.
    employees pretending to be game designers.
    Limp wrist strategy towards aforementioned promises.
    Hiring MTG pros to design things that rather be playing MTG.
    Shifting to Nickel and Dime approach for modes that should be free.
    Drowning economy with free plat, and cards.
    Not knowing how to monetize the product.
    Listening to players that came for MTG 2.0 and putting poor focus on the unique aspect to HEX with PvE and equipment.
    The list goes on.

Keep the playerbase out of it.
  • NicoSharp wrote:

Pandaemonium wrote:

To be fair, hex is not doing well and there is a distinct possibility it will go under. If I was Jeff, I wouldnt promote the game on twitch right now.

The minor changes to HEX, in reference to what the playerbase thought of those changes has nothing to do with HEX going down.
    Blame what needs to be blamed....

Niche demographic focus.
    employees pretending to be game designers.
    Limp wrist strategy towards aforementioned promises.
    Hiring MTG pros to design things that rather be playing MTG.
    Shifting to Nickel and Dime approach for modes that should be free.
    Drowning economy with free plat, and cards.
    Not knowing how to monetize the product.
    Listening to players that came for MTG 2.0 and putting poor focus on the unique aspect to HEX with PvE and equipment.
    The list goes on.

Keep the playerbase out of it.
    Nah, if people think the forums are slightly to blame for the lack of new players coming in. Then, blind positivity from people is also to blame.