HexEnt does listen to the community - here's the evidence!

• HexEnt does listen to the community - here's the evidence!

Hi @ll!

I'm constantly reading the complaint that "HexEnt doesn't listen to the community!" in the forums lately.

Thus, I would like to provide a list of recent changes HexEnt has implemented due to community complaints:

1) "Constructed is getting too expensive!"
      Change: Added Signature decks, altered Clash/Bash payout.

2) "Clash/Bash are too long, we don't have that much time!/we cannot start at the given starting time!"
      Change: Clash/Bash reduced to 4 hour long events, and two different starting times are offered.

3) "The cosmic ladder does not provide sufficient incentive!"
      Change: Cosmic coins were added.

4) "The game needs to provide more casual fun/wacky formats!"
      Change: Merry Melee was added.

5) "This and that mode should be part of Merry Melee!"
      Change: Player-suggested formats like Who's the Boss, Portal Kombat, Zakiir's Frenzy added to Merry Melee.

6) "We need additional incentive to open packs!"
      Change: Doombringer Pack-open sleeves added.

7) "We want on-demand constructed gauntlets back!/We want more Immortal format support!"
      Change: Immortal Constructed Gauntlets implemented.

...and these are just some of the most recent examples.

It is okay if you don't agree with which suggestions have been picked or how they have been implemented, but that doesn't alter the fact that the Hex developers do listen.

Cheers
      Largashbur

The post was edited 2 times, last by Largashbur ().

• Plotynus wrote:

that's not football
      There's a ball (although it has the wrong shape for what people usually refer to when they talk about a ball), and the players occasionally use a foot to interact with said "ball" (yeah, I know, the object is played with the foot about 1% of the time, but that still counts, right?).

Or is it because the ball is a foot long? That's an american unit of measurement right? What's a foot? Does a football ball fit in a foot? Is that a foot-long ball?
    • Largashbur wrote:

Hi @ll!

I'm constantly reading the complaint that "HexEnt doesn't listen to the community!" in the forums lately.

Thus, I would like to provide a list of recent changes HexEnt has implemented due to community complaints:

1) "Constructed is getting too expensive!"
      Change: Added Signature decks, altered Clash/Bash payout.

2) "Clash/Bash are too long, we don't have that much time!/we cannot start at the given starting time!"
      Change: Clash/Bash reduced to 4 hour long events, and two different starting times are offered.

3) "The cosmic ladder does not provide sufficient incentive!"
      Change: Cosmic coins were added.

4) "The game needs to provide more casual fun/wacky formats!"
      Change: Merry Melee was added.

5) "This and that mode should be part of Merry Melee!"
      Change: Player-suggested formats like Who's the Boss, Portal Kombat, Zakiir's Frenzy added to Merry Melee.

...and these are just some of the most recent examples.

It is okay if you don't agree with which suggestions have been picked or how they have been implemented, but that doesn't alter the fact that the Hex developers do listen.

Cheers
      Largashbur
      1) Competitive.

2) Competitive.

3) Competitive.

4) Non-competitive. Which then had an entry fee slapped onto it so that it would become competitive.

5) Competitive as long as there's an entry fee.

6) Non-competitive.

Above is my issue with HXE's priorities.
    • Its not implemented yet, but think you can add the account leveling upgrade to the list too. People clearly were asking for that one too.

Ofc (as with every other point of the list) the same people as always complained about the way of upgrade, but this is another story.

Ah and this is non competitive, too!
    • They kind of listen but then needlessly miss the whole point sometimes. That doesnt really help.

The whole point of 4 and 5 was that those modes were supposed to be the kitchen table modes of hex. They need to be something you can challenge anyone at any time for free. Not just another pay-in mode.

Cosmic Coins took two years to actually happen since they were first announced and arent really solving the issue. The cardinal sin was to remove CG without any replacement. We need on-demand constructed. Cosmic Coins helps a little but isnt nearly enough. In the way it is implemented it is just a little extra bonus. Having an extra bonus is not terrible but again...not solving the issue people complained about.

1 is fair but again...botched. No prior communication and there were many ways to bring down constructed costs. I didnt even think it was a real issue but there were many many other ways to bring down costs without setting a precedent that HXE is willing to make such a big market manipulation over night without prior communication. High card prices actually serve a purpose in a tcg. Chase card drive pack openings and therefore everything else. Also...people rightfully should now be a lot more reluctant to invest into high cost cards knowing that HXE has no high priority with preserving some form of market stability. Remember that thats the whole reason we have bans over card changes. In that light it just doesnt make sense.

2 is also fair but you fail to mention that they removed cash prizes. Thats not just positive. Some people stopped playing HXE because of that. I understand it but there was also a way to have those + not removing cash prizes.

6 is the most infuriating issue though. I was directly involved with this. In our letter we suggested that something should be added in packs to incentivize more packs being opened. They misunderstood it and thought that it was supposed to be for outside tournament packs only. But it wasnt. That sets wrong incentives and wasnt the point of this at all. I got direct confirmation that it was indeed just a misunderstanding of our suggestion by a staff member. I explained that this is a misunderstanding of our suggestion to Cory directly when there was still time to act (a week before it was patched) and got no response. Instead it was implemented the way it was. Again..totally unnecessary mistake.

So yeah..they are listening alright..well kind of. But they keep botching everything. Doesnt really help...

That being said there are many things where they dont listen at all (or at least have not reacted yet). Also they are a bit slow sometimes (see cosmic coins).

Last but not least: They are not talking to us. Thats a real issue. Talk to us. Frequently. Explain what you are doing and directly respond to our questions.

The post was edited 4 times, last by Metronomy ().

• Priorities has always been the issue and the way some are implemented.

HEX is nickel and dime'ing us right now. Siege mode is the very definition of that and Merry-Melee was asked to be casual challenge modes, and a large percentage of us even stated we'd allow that nickel to be charged for access.

HEX is trying to be a used car salesmen right now, and not that good dealer that is a wholesale lot trying to make a sale. The dude that started selling in the early 90's and wants to do you over the best they can and tell you they can. Now that dude opened up a new car shop and adds rust protection to each car so he can reap and sow the cash flow for stuff you didn't want need or even offered at the other dealerships.
    • Swigmonkey wrote:

Priorities has always been the issue and the way some are implemented.

HEX is nickel and dime'ing us right now. Siege mode is the very definition of that and Merry-Melee was asked to be casual challenge modes, and a large percentage of us even stated we'd allow that nickel to be charged for access.

HEX is trying to be a used car salesmen right now, and not that good dealer that is a wholesale lot trying to make a sale. The dude that started selling in the early 90's and wants to do you over the best they can and tell you they can. Now that dude opened up a new car shop and adds rust protection to each car so he can reap and sow the cash flow for stuff you didn't want need or even offered at the other dealerships.
      I always had the impression that Hex never really did that. I compare Hex to MTGO because its the only one that has a similar economy and I don't compare it to a CCG.

So when I see that MTGO has no ladder with rewards (free packs anyone), no free play, no free tournaments, no account leveling, no ladder, no free cash tournaments (CCS is basically free to enter) but instead have 30$ tournaments that give you a chance to qualify for something.

Our tournaments offer AA, sleeves, Battleboards, AAA, plat, and so many other stuff and they don't cost a lot (still comparing to mtgo here)

At some point, they need to make stuff desirable and they need to make it go pass some system where you will either play or pay a little more to get a chance of getting it.

the best thing is that that extra desirable stuff are NOT REQUIRED to play the game.. they are EXTRA.

So when they put a 100p kitchen table game mode, that people wanted, or sleeves that are included in packs but you need to bust those packs its kind of creating something to try to extra the platinum from the system. but yet people want it free or it's not exactly what they wanted.

I'm a big fan of Hex and how they have been generous with the player base in all ways possible. They listen (but don,t communicate). They can't put exactly what people want in exactly the way it should be. They need to think long term. If I put this what the consequence. Could I use it for something else? Is it possible to make it fun yet maybe extract some plat?

the melee modes required no investment and was no cost for the player. Kitchen table games require you to invest in the game. Could they put up a one time cost? Maybe. Would people complain anyway ? of course. Especially if you paid let's say 10$ for the Corinth mode but it's rotating so you can only play 1 week out of 6.

People easily complain about company decisions without thinking about immediate and future ramifications. Nobody knows their short-term goal. The reason why they are doing it.

Does it please everyone? Nope.. but those are the most VOCAL ones.

Are the decisions that I would have done differently? YUP.. a lot of them. but that's ME..

Are any of those decisions making me play less??? absolutely not. every one of them has made me want to play more. Be it the melee or the cosmic coins or even siege. I'll get the cosmetic but in no way are they stopping me to play. In no way, I'm going to screw them and do collusion with others to try to get them faster. It breaks the spirit of what they are trying to do. I'm not a spoiled kid that needs everything IMMEDIATELY.

I love this game, I love what it has brought me. I could pass hours and hours and hours. There is no TCG (CCG) that made me pass so much time and wish I had more time to play.

If you feel you're being nickel and dimed, then go see somewhere else. Like they say, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

thats my 2 cents.
    • If you are wondering why MTGO is both more expensive and has a bigger playerbase (the uglier / Hex having more cosmetics part is quite subjective) I think I can help shed some light.

1st of all, Hex has a very finite life expectancy. The game was lost a couple years ago when, due to decisions, it failed to reach its true potential. We are seeing part of what the end will look like since a while back, when cashing out will net you 10-25% of what you've spent and only if you played PvP. Therefore, why would one spend 100$ to get 25$ at best in a couple months or next year when they can spend 130$ in MTGO and get 70$ back whenever? MTG will exist in 5, 10, 15 years anyway. (numbers just as an example).

Secondly and equally important, MTG players are snobbish, purists and elitists, from my experience (the more hardcore ones, that is). They dislike new things and are brand loyalists. If you showed them Hex, a lot of them wouldn't try it out of conviction alone: "Look at them copying my game and just adding more colours and some silly gimmicks in order to entice me to play. I am not a sheeple though".
    • I liked your thread Larg, because you are right. It's unfortunate though that... In order to make a playerbase happy, they need to make sure they get the details right.

The devil is in the details.

So they say.

It's true.

Most people are challenged with that, because the details are always the hardest part, when you are navigating complex spaces.

I like to turn back to something that is taught to elementary school kids early on. The step by step process of making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
      You can say tell someone to put the peanut butter and jelly on bread, and put the bread together....
      but what if that person has no knife?
      What if they have no ingredients?
      What if they have no transportation to a grocery store?
      What if they have no money for the ingredients?
      What if they don't know that they need to open a jar?
      The list goes on...
      As a man of science, you get the jist.

If they want to do right by everyone, the details are more important than the attempt.
    • Szimek wrote:

Largashbur wrote:

wait, what? did i miss something (looks like i did) :P can anyone point me to the right friday-update where it's mentioned?
      if you open a pack (outside of a tourney, like draft, evo or selead) you have 10% chance of winning a random root sleeve. was announced near the doombringer release
      HEX forums resident liker.