Communications Strategy

    • Communications Strategy

      Hello Hxe,

      I would like to make a few suggestions regarding how you can improve engagement with the community and mitigate future instances like the spectacular explosion in response to the Siege Currency update.

      Background

      You guys are a software development company, in gaming, with a passionate player base. There has been a lot of feedback regarding the need to improve communication and engagement. Here is a sequence of actions that I've modified based on the process I use at my work. I'm a Business Analyst, and I act as a liaison between a number of different stakeholder groups across multiple projects. This approach has worked well for me across projects and industries.

      The process

      1. At the end of every month, make a thread with a curated list containing:
        • Proposals from the posts in the feedback forum
        • Ideas that the devs/design team are thinking of implementing - with the understanding that there is no commitment to deliver, just an idea at this stage
      2. Provide a mechanism that allows players to vote for these proposals in the curated list (maybe a 2 vote per person system) - to get an indication of how much 'noise' each proposal is creating
      3. At the end of 48 hours, close the voting and display the results
      4. In a fortnight, post a thread outlining the decisions from the dev/design team regarding those proposals including a line or two behind the rationale
      5. Keep the 2-way communication going
      6. Be real with your communication. Tell people where they're being unrealistic, Call out bullshit when you see it, Be flippant where you can... it makes it all more legit and helps build the relationship
      7. Don't forget that the relationship is what will help you overcome difficult periods


      It isn't easy and will probably take up a couple of hours a day, but maybe there's an opportunity here for one of the Noble group or player community to step up and gain experience/demonstrate ability?

      Makes me really sad to see the direction in how things have been going and I really don't want to lose the game I love, if there's stuff we can do to avoid it.

      Optimistically yours, as always :|
    • If this strategy will open up the echo chamber, that the forums have become, I'm for it. For me, the worst part of the communication breakdown between HXE and the vocal players, is that the forums are so difficult to navigate while being curious/excited. I get where it comes from, but I miss the supportive community, over this opinionated one.

      I'd like to see forums where debates end in something tangible. That's what I see from this suggestion.
    • MantisAnt wrote:

      If this strategy will open up the echo chamber, that the forums have become, I'm for it. For me, the worst part of the communication breakdown between HXE and the vocal players, is that the forums are so difficult to navigate while being curious/excited. I get where it comes from, but I miss the supportive community, over this opinionated one.

      I'd like to see forums where debates end in something tangible. That's what I see from this suggestion.
      was talking with people about this earlier. The playerbase/community didnt become negative. They ran out of patience. Since the start hex ent asked to give them time to finish things. During beta most would shrug and go "beta is beta" after full release people let small problems go saying they are trying, care, and everyone makes mistakes. It has been what 4...5 years I don't even know anymore? You cant ask your playerbase to believe in you for that long. Hex should consider themselves lucky people waited this long.
    • NeroJinous wrote:

      MantisAnt wrote:

      If this strategy will open up the echo chamber, that the forums have become, I'm for it. For me, the worst part of the communication breakdown between HXE and the vocal players, is that the forums are so difficult to navigate while being curious/excited. I get where it comes from, but I miss the supportive community, over this opinionated one.

      I'd like to see forums where debates end in something tangible. That's what I see from this suggestion.
      was talking with people about this earlier. The playerbase/community didnt become negative. They ran out of patience. Since the start hex ent asked to give them time to finish things. During beta most would shrug and go "beta is beta" after full release people let small problems go saying they are trying, care, and everyone makes mistakes. It has been what 4...5 years I don't even know anymore? You cant ask your playerbase to believe in you for that long. Hex should consider themselves lucky people waited this long.
      I get that. I specifically phrased things as to not take sides. Just commenting on the state of the forums.
    • @Ktoo Your way of handling things seems reasonable and functional.
      Not arguing about this one...

      BUT, you have missed a major issue here (not just you, a lot of people miss this point, including me sometimes)

      We, people of the forum, are just a small fraction of the total playerbase (it is has been said that we are around 5000), so we are less than 5%.
      Yet, sometimes we consider ourselves the voice of the game and that we represent the playerbase, which is not true.(yes, we are the most dedicated players, cause we also spend time caring about the game and not just grinding, but we are not the vast majority)
      Because we are so few on the forums, sometimes, the same ideas and concerns are being circulated and are considered the sole truth.
      Sometimes,yes, we may be right on many things, but because we are a tiny percentage, we do not have the whole picture as HXE has. So maybe, just maybe, we all may be wrong on the most of things.
      My point is that, before moving to step no.2, if we assume that HXE starts acting as you suggested, they have to find a way to engage a bigger part of the playerbase with the forum, otherwise having a 5% deciding for the rest 95% is pointless.
      Another way around could be that they should hold these polls in-client, which I think is the best solution.(they have to find a good use for that thing considered a calendar/news board).
      The rest of what you suggest is an ideal approach in my humble opinion and I am with you on this one.
      :thumbsup:
      [Blocked Image: http://wardens.hexcompendium.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/cropped-wardens-of-entraht-logo-tranparent.png]The Wardens of Entrath is a large, open to public community of Hex enthusiasts with a mission to help and support Hex players and content creators alike!

      Find us on our Discord server or website!
    • AxelDWater wrote:


      My point is that, before moving to step no.2, if we assume that HXE starts acting as you suggested, they have to find a way to engage a bigger part of the playerbase with the forum, otherwise having a 5% deciding for the rest 95% is pointless.
      Another way around could be that they should hold these polls in-client, which I think is the best solution.(they have to find a good use for that thing considered a calendar/news board).
      The rest of what you suggest is an ideal approach in my humble opinion and I am with you on this one.
      :thumbsup:
      At this point the echo chamber seems to be in Hex ent management and employees as they take good ideas,some suggested and turyn them into bad implementation without what seems to be proper feedback or listening to the community that's screaming things are wrong:Merry melee,siege,pack opening sleeve prizes and the goals Hex is choosing to work on instead what it chooses not to.

      Any way to get more feedback from players would be good and will set Hex on a better path.