Pinned [Siege] Pappy Jasper's Prize Patrol & Puzzle Badges

• [Siege] Pappy Jasper's Prize Patrol & Puzzle Badges

Pappy Jasper's Prize Patrol defense keep is live! Current status shown in the second post!

♪ He sees you when you're sieging
      Your replay's on the tape ♫
      ♪ He knows if you've been bad or good
      Let's be good for goodness sake! ♫

Welcome to Pappy Jasper's Prize Patrol, a ridiculous, silly, probably ill-advised attempt to put something fun and thematic behind the current rigamarole of Siege in Hex. The gist of this segment is based on one of the oddball tiny things that I've actually enjoyed seeing in practice with Siege: players opening those weirdly wrapped presents that Pappy Jasper doles out and seeing what random troop or artifact they get from it. I decided that I'd try this for a fun alternative for anyone who wants to get in the Spring spirit of the Night of Bells six months early.

"Y'all are gonna take what you git an' like it!" - Pappy Jasper

Here's how it works (subject to feedback and sanity):
      1. I'll post a siege defense at the for the starting gold cost 1234 (look for Blackwood in game)
      2. My keep defense will feature two front-runner decks which I'll rotate through with each posting. They're not pushovers, mind you, but they're generally a side of janky with goofy themes mixed with enough of a bite to them that they can nominally put up resistance and potentially rebuke attackers.
      3. The third deck in the defense is where 4x Pappy Jasper and 2x Night of Bells with equipment is situated; the deck is a mix of cheesy winter-themed cards and just enough bite that it can nominally put up resistance and potentially rebuke attackers.
      4. You're looking to hold out for Pappy Jasper arriving in deck three for a shot at special prizes (see the second post for prize pool details!)
      5. Pappy Jasper will deliver a Present to you the round after he hits the board, which is free to play and 2 resources to open; when activated it will give you one random troop / artifact from Hex's entire card pool.
      6. If you can defeat deck three without killing Pappy Jasper, I'll mail you whatever you opened from the first present you opened. If it's junk (there's good odds that it's junk, that's a LOT of cards to pull from) I'll probably send you a stocking stuffer of some sort too. If you got an amazing incredible high-value pull, congratulations, I'll send you that too as long as I'm able to do so (for example, if Pappy somehow gifts you a card that it is impossible for me to acquire I'll send you something else.)
      7. Part of the extra challenge is avoiding killing Pappy Jasper so he can continue his goodly work of distributing poorly wrapped presents to players. As a technicality, transforming or voiding Pappy Jasper also voids the offer (that's what void where prohibited means in any contract you've ever read, FYI; if you banish someone on the contract to the void, the contract is null.) Look, Pappy can barely drive the damn sleigh, you want him to navigate his way out of the nothingness of a dimensional chasm? The following post includes a Q&A for reference.
      8. I'll watch the replay of the winning match, see what prizes you're due and mail it your way. You can see the current prize bag in the next post.
      PS4 Caveat: I cannot send anything to PS4 players for obvious reasons at this time. Sorry!

P.S. I spent $16 too much on promo dust to EA awful cards for this these decks, so you know this is a premium experience

Disclaimer: For the sake of fairness and ensuring that the Pappy Jasper Prize Patrol is sustainable and accessible to as many players as possible: Each individual participant is eligible for completing the core challenge once for prizes; individual participants are welcome to continue playing with the Pappy Jasper Prize Patrol keep after successfully completing the challenge and can pursue Achievements and Puzzle Badges for additional prizes afterwards.

Just in case: I reserve the right to disqualify a participating player from prizes if I feel that they are demonstrating unfair or unsporting conduct in their participation (for example: repeatedly running and forfeiting the challenge in an attempt to draw a more desirable first Present result.) I haven't had anyone necessitate this yet so please, let's keep this positive!

As a general bonus option, you can shoot me mail after you finish your match if you'd like to 'Pay it forward Pappy!' and I'll add whatever I would've sent you to the prize pool for whoever comes after you. Re-gifting is a time-honored tradition, after all. I'll similarly add any other stuff someone wants me to add to the pool and send along for whatever reason, if so inclined. If by some insidious sneakiness you gain control of a Pappy Jasper too, if you send me whatever goofy gift the AI opens I'll add it to the 'pay it forward' pool.

I'll also endeavor to keep a running tally / posting in this thread for what stuff folks came up with and would love it if people posted various weirdness and merriment here as well in the spirit of this goofy format. Similarly, I am totally cool with and encourage other folks that might also want to try to offer their own Pappy Jasper Prize Patrol setups in this thread as well in the spirit of things (after all, you can put 4x of Pappy Jasper in a deck, so there's clearly more than one of him in the multiverse. Yes I know he has the unique tag, quiet you.)

If you like the idea or have any suggestions to make it more fun or silly or whatever, let me know. I'm limiting it to just the first present opened, in part to avoid a situation where someone gets a comfortable win in the bag and sits there for an hour collecting three dozen presents from poor pappy trying to exhaust my card collection, but we'll play it by ear with however this pans out. I am also limiting the core challenge to one successful completion for prizes--returning participants are welcome and invited to try any of the optional side challenges available with the rotating decks instead!

NEW: For returning participants interested in trying their hand at additional challenges and puzzles, I've now opened up Puzzle Badges! See the bottom of the second post for full details!

The post was edited 12 times, last by Blackwood ().

• NORAD Status: Pappy Jasper's Prize Patrol is currently airborne again with a newly revised deck!

Q&A
      Q: Is it ok to transform Pappy Jasper?
      A: Unfortunately, transforming Pappy renders him no longer dedicated to his lifelong mission of delivering jank to players far and wide. If there is no intact Pappy Jasper in play at the end of the match, I'm afraid that rules it out.

Q: Is reverting Pappy Jasper fair game?
      A: Absolutely, it helps him get some of that overzealous eggnog drinking out of his system too. It's to everyone's benefit if Pappy doesn't go mad with power from too many presents being opened.

Q: Does it count as killing Pappy Jasper if the AI re-plays him and Unique discards the prior copy?
      A: This is fine, you're still in the running! That's just Pappy going on break.

Q: What if I gain control of Pappy Jasper?
      A: If you can pull it off without killing him, it's fair game. Do note that Bride of the Damned does involve killing Pappy, so as much as he'll enjoy joining her team it does count as killing him.

Q: How can I earn credit for Puzzle Badges?
      A: If you completed a Puzzle Badge challenge, be sure to send me mail so that I know to check the replay!

Q: Can I earn multiple Puzzle Badges in a single run?
      A: Of course, as long as you complete your run of the keep overall!

Q: Do I have to complete the Pappy Challenge to earn Puzzle Badges?
      A: No, you just need to defeat the deck with the puzzle badge you're after.

Q: Can I complete the Pappy Challenge more than once and continue to earn new Presents?
      A: Unfortunately, in the interests of fairness and trying to ensure that this is a fun and sustainable undertaking, I need to limit this to one per player. You are absolutely welcome to try your hand at chasing Achievements and Puzzle Badges on return visits for other prizes, however!

Current Defenses:

Wildcard Rotation in effect! Defenses are cycling!
      [DEFENSIVE] Rogue's Gallery - Lionel Flynn and his crew are out seeking fortune and glory--steel yourself and prepare to duel. En garde!
      [DEFENSIVE] Portalmania - With portals opening left and right, who knows what might hit the field? Watch your step!
      [DEFENSIVE] Pappy's Prize Tour - The fuzzball himself is putting the freeze on assailants--can you weather his wintry power trip and prevail?

Rotated Defenses:
      [DEFENSIVE] Dinohunt - It turns out that there are dinosaurs on this dinosaur theme park ride!
      [DEFENSIVE] Squirrel Whirl - The Heavyweight Squirrel Whirl is about to commence--are you ready to enter the ring?
      [DEFENSIVE] Tower Defense - Adamanth boasts broad battlements bordering bountiful--batter and brawl your way to Rutherford Banks!
      [DEFENSIVE] Merry Berry Brunch - Join Rupert Rhubarb in this sticky jam and seek the fruits of your labors!
      [DEFENSIVE] Angelic Ascension - Pharamedes pursues a divine call to ascend among a most proliferous host--it's time for some healthy competition!
      [DEFENSIVE] Spirit Seance - Something has disturbed the ancient halls, stirring King Lodegan's spiritual vanguard. There's something strange in this neighborhood!
      [DEFENSIVE] Kraken's Curse - Set sail in search of treasure in the briny deeps, but beware The Kraken!

Decks in Development / Refitting:
      [DEFENSIVE] Buffallolapalooza - Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.
      [DEFENSIVE] Tunnel Inc. - Something's got the ground rumbling, are you prepared to see what surfaces?
      [DEFENSIVE] Junkifact - With the dwarf junk brigade out in force, can one Hexer's trash become another's treasure?
      [DEFENSIVE] Planterra - Bring a weed-whacker and brace for some heavy metal!

I will additionally be handing out a Doombringer booster pack the first time a given player manages to pull off claiming Pappy's prize!

In the interests of providing a variety of fun rewards for casual challengers and a path to more rewards for revisiting participants, here is how the current reward structure works for new and returning challengers:
      • Your first successful completion of the Pappy Jasper Prize Patrol challenge will award you with everything in the Current Bonus Prize Haul, a Doombringer booster pack and whatever first Present you opened during the match was. Neato!
      • You are welcome to revisit the keep to explore new challenges and attempt to earn Achievements and Puzzle Badges, detailed in the linked spreadsheet below, in order to earn prestige and other prizes. However, returning players are not eligible for repeating the core Pappy Jasper Prize Patrol Challenge for rewards (you are also allowed to defeat the final encounter however you wish on return visits, as long as a Puzzle Badge you're after doesn't state different conditions.)
      • For every three Puzzle Badges you earn, attainable from a variety of optional special challenges presented with each of the keep's theme decks, I'll send you an additional current set booster pack. Wow!
      • I will continue to distribute discretionary consolation prizes to players who make good-faith attempts at tackling the challenge!
      Current Bonus Prize Haul:
      - 1x Nal-Noorfoh the Just mercenary (Just in time for the present sack!)
      - 1x Uncommon Doombringer Chest (you can even spin it still, I managed to keep Pappy's mitts off it!)
      - 4x Spectral Acorn (due to a shipping error we're passing this savings on to YOU!; EA as supply permits!)
      - 3100 gold (why, that's precisely enough for a spin on that chest if you wanted!)

Special Challenge: Complete at least one Puzzle Badge for Kraken's Curse and receive a Sylviana mercenary and a Rare Doombringer Chest while supplies last!

Fabulous Prize Tally*: Assault - each successful Pappy challenge increases the bolded numbers enough to make the keyword joke
      32 Presents
      37 mercenaries
      6 equipment
      22 dust
      39 chests
      147900 gold
      132 Spectral Acorns (EA as supply permits!)
      62 Booster Packs

That's over 10,000 platinum worth of prizes given out so far and counting!

*Tally also includes discretionary consolation prizes.

My #1 goal for this challenge is for folks to have fun and I don't want anyone to feel discouraged if it proves a bit too tough to handle with their current deck!

Many thanks to @NeroJinous and @JinsakuAjo for their help in keeping the prize pool going, and @ATPase for helping with dust reserves! Additional thanks to @Zeero for pitching in dust and additional mercs and to Empyrium for more chests and packs to add to the prize pool! Thanks as well to @arub, @xbete, @Draconix and @Perandus for generously contributing cards, mercenaries and more to the prize pool too, I really appreciate everyone's help!

Disclaimer: No Pappy Jaspers were canonically harmed in this challenge.

For a detailed breakdown of participants and prizes, as well as Puzzle Badge challenges check out the new Pappy Jasper's Prize Patrol Tracker Sheet!

Notice: moving forward Aegilus is banned from decks attempting Puzzle Badge challenges and will disqualify those attempts.

I'm also excited to announce Puzzle Badge challenges! Did you enjoy having special conditions to spice things up for prestige and prizes? Do you want a shot at additional booster packs and other prizes, as well as the prestige of being an accomplished puzzler? Now you have a chance to put your deck-building and play finesse to the test with a collection of new challenges presented by each of the theme decks put forth!

(Due to the 10k characters-per-post limit on the forums, I have had to migrate the previous write-ups from contestants to a sheet on the new Pappy Prize Patrol tracker log.)

The post was edited 121 times, last by Blackwood ().

• Draconix wrote:

Fantastic and have my full support! Let me know if you need any help with specific card prizes . I've got a substantial collection and haven't had the energy to do my own giveaways lately!
      Appreciated certainly! I've got a lot of cards, equipment and doodads for Hex to roll in as stocking-stuffers too--my aim is to try to see if I can't help facilitate the concept of including bonus prizes for keeps pending some sort of official implementation.

I've primed Pappy's bag with a few goodies already, I really hope folks have fun with this. I have seen some really entertaining replays in a past around Pappy's presents (especially for PS4 players getting cards they can't normally acquire to play with--HXE, please give me the ability to mail PS$ players!)
    • Wow, this is a very good idea. I will try it out sometime.

Actually, I don't have a powerfull deck to break sieges, so it's entirelly possible that Pappy will kick my ass. :)

Just a question : transforming Pappy is a fair game, or it falls into the same category as killing or voiding?
    • cainhu wrote:

Wow, this is a very good idea. I will try it out sometime.

Actually, I don't have a powerfull deck to break sieges, so it's entirelly possible that Pappy will kick my ass. :)

Just a question : transforming Pappy is a fair game, or it falls into the same category as killing or voiding?
      I tried to make the decks involved approachable without being pushovers, so hopefully even 'sub-optimal' attackers have a shot. Pappy himself is not too terrible an adversary--just know that he grows stronger the more presents are opened and he's a flying attacker.

Good question on the transformation, I didn't consider that; pending a more final decision, I'll say for now that it's OK to transform Pappy as long as he turns into something that could reasonably still deliver presents (if he turns into a statue or a box of crayons he's probably not flying anywhere.)

Edit: good points were raised below, so transforming Pappy must be ruled out! I've added a Q&A section to the second post for any future clarifications.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Blackwood ().

• Blackwood wrote:

pending a more final decision, I'll say for now that it's OK to transform Pappy as long as he turns into something that could reasonably still deliver presents
      Wouldn't you argue that entities transforming in Entrath are changing not only their physical appearance but also their spiritual minds, thus losing all former intentions and beliefs?
      Why would a Forbidden Tomeseeker care about delivering presents to other people while she could just pursue her quest on finding this one quote in the long forgotten tome?

Reverting on the other hand should not mess with the state of mind of Pappy, since giving and spreading joy was always what he was felt he was born to.
    • Gwaelan wrote:

Blackwood wrote:

pending a more final decision, I'll say for now that it's OK to transform Pappy as long as he turns into something that could reasonably still deliver presents
      Wouldn't you argue that entities transforming in Entrath are changing not only their physical appearance but also their spiritual minds, thus losing all former intentions and beliefs?Why would a Forbidden Tomeseeker care about delivering presents to other people while she could just pursue her quest on finding this one quote in the long forgotten tome?

Reverting on the other hand should not mess with the state of mind of Pappy, since giving and spreading joy was always what he was felt he was born to.
      Alright, excellent points. I'll update the Q&A accordingly!
    • I've been brainstorming and workshopping additional decks to add to the rotation for the initial two--something I've been mulling on a lot is whether or not to post deck lists for such in advance.

In part, I'd love to be able to have an open discourse about ideally tweaking the decks in the pool to be a good balance of fun + thematic + nominally challenging, but there's also the underlying concerns of A) spoiled surprise if someone wants to be surprised and B) someone bringing in exceptionally heavy-hitting attack decks to beat up poor Pappy's goodie bag.

I'm somewhat less worried about the latter if only because I don't expect these Pappy keeps are going to get particularly large 'hoards' of gold / sacks necessarily, but I'm on the fence on how to best manage trying to make this approachable and fun so that folks with less 'tier 1' attack decks can have a shot at fabulous poorly-wrapped prizes.
    • Draconix wrote:

I put up a thematic siege wich I'll be refreshing as I can. Decks are awful I'll be surprised if they get a win. But it's Feaster, summer love and pappy winter themes. Did the old 1234 thing and will also give presents to those that let pappy give them gifts.
      I've been cooking up additional decks that try to build around the years of different cards for each holiday event too, so I'm sure I'll add some of those to the rotation as well. A snag there is that the AI is bound to get -very- confused by cards like Capture the Flag, etc. let alone trying to get the AI to interact with something as nutty as Settlers of Entrath. When I was designing Pappy's deck I tried to figure out a way to incorporate Uncle Sparklestaff too, but I was very doubtful the AI would do anything with him.

For the curious, the current two pre-Pappy decks I have posted are a dino-danger deck and one which is basically all-in on Portal.

Edit: I'll be reviewing the replays for Pappy's defense on the regular to tweak it, so it will be a bit of a work in progress--so if you find it too easy or two hard things will be adjusted! Thank you for your diligence in tracking the runaway sleigher of seasonal sweaters!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Blackwood ().

• Was a fun way to play siege took me 3 tries to open a present and win the encounter and All I got was was an uncommon, the experience is super fun and you get some siege sacks and maybe some crazy legendary if you are lucky, I also got some pay it forward rewards so can confirm you might get something extra as well.
    • Two runs on Pappy's trail so far, both to completion--though the latter was forced to go for lethal before Pappy could hand out presents!

I'm upping the ante for folks scoping out fun: I'm handing out a booster pack the first time a given player manages to pull off collecting a Pappy Present and defeating the keep! I've sent out a pack retroactively as well. This is one per player though--though you're also welcome to punt it into the 'pay it forward' sack if you'd like anyways.

Have fun folks!
    • Blackwood wrote:

I've been brainstorming and workshopping additional decks to add to the rotation for the initial two--something I've been mulling on a lot is whether or not to post deck lists for such in advance.

In part, I'd love to be able to have an open discourse about ideally tweaking the decks in the pool to be a good balance of fun + thematic + nominally challenging, but there's also the underlying concerns of A) spoiled surprise if someone wants to be surprised and B) someone bringing in exceptionally heavy-hitting attack decks to beat up poor Pappy's goodie bag.

I'm somewhat less worried about the latter if only because I don't expect these Pappy keeps are going to get particularly large 'hoards' of gold / sacks necessarily, but I'm on the fence on how to best manage trying to make this approachable and fun so that folks with less 'tier 1' attack decks can have a shot at fabulous poorly-wrapped prizes.
      Last time NicoSharp did his pauper siege, he was farmed by some a-holes, so I would not share the deck list if I were you.