Pinned [Siege] Pappy Jasper's Prize Patrol & Puzzle Badges

• I'm excited to announce Puzzle Badge challenges! Did you enjoy having special conditions to spice things up for prestige and prizes? Do you want a shot at additional booster packs and other prizes, as well as the prestige of being an accomplished puzzler? Now you have a chance to put your deck-building and play finesse to the test with a collection of new challenges presented by each of the theme decks put forth! Check out the spreadsheet linked in the second post for details on available Puzzle Badges! Be sure to send me mail to let me know if you attempted/completed Puzzle Badges so I can check the replay!

In the interests of providing a variety of fun rewards for casual challengers and a path to more rewards for revisiting participants, I am slightly re-structuring how I'll handle Pappy Jasper Prizes:
      -Your first successful completion of the Pappy Jasper Prize Patrol challenge will award you with everything in the Current Bonus Prize Haul, a current set booster pack, and whatever the first Present you opened during the match was. Neato!
      -You can now also earn Puzzle Badges for a variety of optional special challenges presented with each of the theme decks present! For every three Puzzle Badges you complete, I'll send you another current set booster pack. Wow!
      -I will continue to send Presents opened during successful Pappy Jasper Prize Patrol challenge runs, but the bonus prize haul is limited to your first successful run.
      -I will continue to distribute discretionary consolation prizes to players who make good-faith attempts at tackling the challenge!

For a sampler, here are some of the initial Puzzle Badge challenges now available:

Squirrel Whirl Puzzle Badges
      Float like a butterfly...Get at least one Merry Butterfly into play and damage Polonius with it.
      ...sting like a bee!Trick Polonius into getting one of his own troops killed when he battles one of yours!
      Million Dollar RabiesEnd the match with more resources than Polonius
      Portalmania Puzzle Badges
      Portal SurveyorPlay at least one Common, Uncommon and Rare portal card yourself during a single match
      Portalbello SpecialDefeat Unknown Entity by dealing damage solely from Shroomkin sources
      Portal Clean-up DetailSend any combination of Entity troops or portal-spawned cards to the void from play five separate times during a single match
      Pappy's Prize Puzzle Badges
      Imposterble!Acquire your own Pappy Jasper without killing, transforming or voiding Pappy Jasper
      There can be only one!Kill Pappy Jasper with your own Pappy Jasper
      Clear & Present DangerDefeat Sister Anastasia by dealing damage solely from Present-spawned sources
      How Grinch ruined Night of BellsSend at least ten unopened Presents to the void in a single match

The post was edited 4 times, last by Blackwood ().

• Ertzi wrote:

The work you are putting into this is really quite impressive, Blackwood. If you work full-time and still manage to do this, you might have the Infinity Gauntlet with the Time Stone. Are you Thanos?
      Just being dedicated to really giving this my all in the hopes that some folks can have a fun time!

Congratulations to Greatsopp for being the latest winner of the Pappy Challenge, taking home a Blight Wagon, 1x Dallad Mercenary, 1x Uncommon Doombringer Chest, 4x EA Spectral Acorn, 3100 gold and a Doombringer Booster Pack!

With this victory, we're close to [DEFENSIVE] Squirrel Whirl rotating out for another fore-runner deck--while [DEFENSIVE] Portalmania has rotated out for the debut of the new [DEFENSIVE] Kraken's Curse theme deck! As a special reward, the first player to achieve a Puzzle Badge for Kraken's Curse will additionally receive 1x Lillyth mercenary and 1x Rare Doombringer Chest!

You can check out statistics and player progress on the Pappy Jasper Prize Patrol public spreadsheet!

For convenience, here are the currently available Puzzle Badges for [DEFENSIVE] Kraken's Curse!

Reminder to please send Blackwood mail in-game if you attempted & completed one or more Puzzle Badge challenges during your run so that I can look for them in the replays. In the interests of trying to keep Pappy with as much up-time as I can, I'll probably skip early replays otherwise!
    • Pappy is back up and ready for challengers and puzzlers! Greatsopp has been hitting the decks in pursuit of puzzle badges and is the first player to reach three, earning another free Doombringer Booster Pack. Great work, Greatsopp!

I'm going to continue to keep an eye on the keep this morning for any early birds making a go at things while I work on some things, but as a heads up by mid-afternoon I'm going to be out for most of the day--so once the keep goes down after that, Pappy's going to have to gas the elk up for a while.

Over 200 dust has gone into EA'ing decks now for the setup and a ton of prizes have been given out already!

Thanks again to everyone who has been supportive of this silly endeavor, I really appreciate it.
    • Luper wrote:

Great concept!

Just managed to beat Pappy on the second try, first present was an Angel of Dawn! I had to resort to a runebind though, hope that still counts as a 'clean' win....
      Anyway I had a lot of fun. Keep up the good work!
      Ooh, shoot; Runebind is unfortunately a transform effect, so that does count against the rule! However, with all the sea of things that -might- pop out of a Present, an Angel of Dawn is an exciting pull. I'll meet you in the middle: if you can complete the challenge on another run, I'll still honor the big prize pull where the runebind tripped you up in this instance.

Some housekeeping and tweaks:

As a general note for folks on the whole, an adjustment for clarity and housekeeping: I'm going to need to limit the core Pappy challenge to a first successful run basis, with additional prizes on repeat runs being available through the achievements and Puzzle Badges.

For clarification also to hopefully head it off at the pass (not that anyone has warranted this yet, but I'm just trying to cover my behind) I reserve the right to disqualify any player from prizes if I feel that they are demonstrating unfair or unsporting conduct in their participation (for example: repeatedly running and forfeiting the challenge in an attempt to draw a more desirable first Present result.) Again, this hasn't been an issue yet and I hope it never is one, but I want to be clear on it.

Part of my reason for doing these clarifications and changes is to try to ensure that everyone has a shot at trying to have fun with the challenge and I've realized that, while still likely meaning well, players excited to tackle puzzle badges may inadvertently end up putting us both in a position where this keep is essentially 'farmed.' As any AI-controlled and setup presents, the Pappy challenge is of course 'solvable' content--and I really don't want the intent and spirit of this undertaking to stray the path and necessitate closing it down.

To be openly honest, a lot has been put into this silly thing in terms of time, effort and resources--not only in facilitating prizes (approaching 20 boosters handed out and counting!) but also in preparation (everything in every theme deck gets EA'd including promo cards, which tends to run 125 plat per promo dust, chests for the prize pool are typically costing 15 plat apiece, etc.) Due to the current nature of siege, it's unfortunately even an 'opportunity cost' in as much that these postings really aren't worth any siege sacks given the currency change, so I'm having to rely entirely on attacking keeps in the meantime for siege packs.

That said, I'm only drawing a point to this to put out there that a lot does go into this and it's my hope that it can bring something positive to as many participants as possible--I'll need to make tweaks along the way to make that possible. So as to not put anyone in a potential position where there's uncertainty, I feel like this is a fair and straightforward remedy, especially for the goal of trying to keep this an ongoing format where returning players can enjoy trying new challenges on future visits. I still have plenty of packs and other prizes to give out and I'm hoping to keep this going for a while.
    • Blackwood wrote:

Luper wrote:

Great concept!

Just managed to beat Pappy on the second try, first present was an Angel of Dawn! I had to resort to a runebind though, hope that still counts as a 'clean' win....
      Anyway I had a lot of fun. Keep up the good work!
      Ooh, shoot; Runebind is unfortunately a transform effect, so that does count against the rule! However, with all the sea of things that -might- pop out of a Present, an Angel of Dawn is an exciting pull. I'll meet you in the middle: if you can complete the challenge on another run, I'll still honor the big prize pull where the runebind tripped you up in this instance.
      Yeah, I realized it's a transformation card, right after I posted my message. But thanks for the second chance! I just completed another run, without runebinding and I refrained from opening any presents! This was a lot of fun.
    • Pappy's been largely allowed to run amok over the weekend--it must be the weather! Nevertheless, @Xylo managed to bring down the flying furball and bag a Tectonic Megahulk along with 1x Dallad Mercenary, 1x Uncommon Doombringer Chest, 4x EA Spectral Acorn, 3100 gold and a Doombringer Booster Pack. Nicely done!
    • No real activity Monday, but hey, a holiday for some; sadly, this did result in a random attacker plowing through poor Pappy's defenses sheerly to pick up siege sacks as the keep reached a desirable enough amount for someone to blow in. Nevertheless, @zipmaster managed to muster in and catch the challenge before I was off to bed, using some slick strategies to make fairly straightforward work of the undertaking. zipmaster also tangentially pulled off a puzzle badge in the process and took home a Rowdy Piper, 1x Boingo mercenary, 1x Uncommon Doombringer Chest, 4x EA Spectral Acorn, 3100 gold and 1 Doombringer Booster Pack.

Hopefully we'll see some more activity; I'll still endeavor to keep this going for as long as I can while folks are interested.
    • @Wolzarg came in ready to puzzle and puzzle they did--not only completing the core Pappy challenge, but a staggering six puzzle badge challenges as well! In total, Wolzarg bagged Lyvaanth's Skylancers along with 1x Boingo mercenary, 1x Lillyth mercenary, 1x Rare Doombringer Chest, 1x Uncommon Doombringer Chest, 4x EA Spectral Acorn, 3100 gold and 3 Doombringer Booster Packs. Nice!

As a heads up, I'll be gearing up to see to another rotation and shifting of deck setups in the not-too-distant future--my goal with these arrangements is to give a lot of folks enough time to have a chance at trying to tackle fun challenges and decks before they hit the sidelines. In order to keep things fresh, however, it's coming on time to bring in some new scenes--so if you've been peeking in this thread but haven't had a chance to go after [DEFENSIVE] Squirrel Whirl's Polonius and get your share of acorns and puzzle badges yet, now's your chance before a new forerunner deck hits the field!
    • @Showsni really DECKED the halls with this run, taking home the impressive prize of Reginald Lancashire along with 1x Boingo mercenary, 1x Uncommon Doombringer Chest, 4x EA Spectral Acorn, 3100 gold and 1 Doombringer Booster Pack--as well as completing the Million Dollar Rabies and Float Like a Butterfly Puzzle Badges! Bravo!

With this, a rotation has occurred, sending [DEFENSIVE] Squirrel Whirl to take a breather on the sidelines and introducing the revamped, reworked and newly Puzzle Badge-laden theme deck: [DEFENSIVE] Dinohunt! It turns out there are dinosaurs in this dinosaur them park! Be sure to check out Puzzle Badge challenges, tallies, leaderboards and more on the Pappy Jasper's Prize Patrol Tracker Sheet!

For your convenient reference, here are the special Puzzle Badge challenges for [DEFENSIVE] Dinohunt:

Reminder: Please be sure to send me mail after you complete your challenge indicating any Puzzle Badges you accomplished in a given run; I don't have the time to re-watch every replay if it's an ordinary encounter, in the interests of trying to keep the uptime of this keep as much as I can muster--so I am likely to skip most non-challenge matches unless otherwise notified.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Blackwood ().

• The Puzzling continues, with plenty of challenges, prestige and prizes still available to undertake! The Pappy Jasper Prize Patrol participation has thus far led to giving out (brace for it) Over 9,000 platinum worth of prizes. By Crom, the savings!

[DEFENSIVE] Dinohunt seems to be a more formidable first deck comparative to the prior rotations--I'm still collecting data however, and it's hard to gauge if it is rebuking players more frequently because they've already completed the Pappy challenge and are after badges, or if it's too difficult for certain decks / players in its current structure.

This deck does have some pretty stupendous stone age equipment ( Savage Lord and his gear is a menace!) but the majority of the deck is also one-offs of different high-cost dinosaurs and during my testing runs I was pretty consistently able to blow past it with a variety of decks trying to progress. I'll continue to monitor and check up on the attack replays to see if there needs to be any tweaks made--in the meantime, if I see someone struggling a lot to deal with it, I'll likely send discretionary door prizes to make up for the gold cost of attempts to a degree.

Now that @HEXSirSleepy is a confirmed Grinch after the dev stream yesterday, I did want to note for anyone who watched or participated then that usually Pappy shows up a lot earlier than that--and the earlier decks are generally intentionally designed with the mindset of 'manageable by suboptimal challenger decks, with optional difficulty when you take on Puzzle Badge challenges.' For posterity and fun, I also wanted to share a screen grab from a replay demonstration how silly things can get once the Presents start flying with Pappy in the final match:

If you see that the keep has a lot of wins, this is typically a side-effect of returning challengers undertaking Puzzle Badge challenges. Don't be discouraged! If you're a new player who may have a limited gold supply that proves prohibitive to undertaking the challenge, whisper me if I'm online or shoot me mail in-game and I'll send you some gold to give you a lift.
    • I definitely added a bunch of losses to dino and want to point out that a clear majority of those are me either conceding because the challenge could no longer be completed or because i was attempting the very hard badge of letting savage lord live which makes the fight insane amounts harder.
    • Wolzarg wrote:

I definitely added a bunch of losses to dino and want to point out that a clear majority of those are me either conceding because the challenge could no longer be completed or because i was attempting the very hard badge of letting savage lord live which makes the fight insane amounts harder.
      I can adjust the required number of dinosaur fatalities in this badge's conditions if it's ultimately untenable (I set the number at eight because the dinosaurs ate challengers); my goal in concept at least with each deck's puzzle badges was to try to have a mix of 'relatively easy to attain badges if you make a conscious effort to try for them' and 'badges that make a deck that might otherwise be easy much harder to deal with' -- that way players who may not have a lot of tools at their disposal can still chip at the easier badges for prizes.

Similarly, for a fair number of the badges I have a few different approaches in mind that I anticipate to be solutions players can arrive at--with a few in there that are in the 'I feel this is attainable, I'm just not sure how I'd do it yet' camp to see how creative puzzlers might surprise me.
    • I don't think you should worry to much about it as long as you understand that it is probably peak difficulty. Its hardly impossible it just takes a lot of thought and possibly some setup for it to work. The main issue is that all dinos with speed crush and lethal mean you take x-1 damage when you block them so its very hard to live long enough. I still have some interesting ideas for it and i wouldn't say its so difficult as to be unfun just that it is definitely very difficult.