Pinned [Siege] Pappy Jasper's Prize Patrol & Puzzle Badges

• This is amazing. I am a HUGE FAN.

I lost my first attempt. Night of the Bells came out early and generated an OBSCENE number of presents. By the end of the game, we were both getting 20 or more a turn. Pappy Jasper showed up late, but with all the present buffs, he could have slapped down Goku by the end.

This is the most fun I've had with Siege mode in a long, long time. This illustrates to cool stuff possible in the mode. A+ effort.
      Watch Dungeon Masters of Entrath - The HEX Gameshow! Wednesday 8pm EST
      I am ThrawnOmega on Xbox Live, Twitter, Steam, and Twitch.
      Forum Avatar by @tfa_96 on Twitter.
    • Thrawn wrote:

This is amazing. I am a HUGE FAN.

I lost my first attempt. Night of the Bells came out early and generated an OBSCENE number of presents. By the end of the game, we were both getting 20 or more a turn. Pappy Jasper showed up late, but with all the present buffs, he could have slapped down Goku by the end.

This is the most fun I've had with Siege mode in a long, long time. This illustrates to cool stuff possible in the mode. A+ effort.
      Thank you for the runs and the kind words--that first replay in particular had me in stitches laughing. I did not at all anticipate a scenario where the presents just... kept... coming. The AI seemed to have a grand old time opening them, of course--what a messy board that ended up being. This sorely made me wish that we could save replays to watch later and not lose them once a keep gets re-posted!

I am thrilled with the feedback so far, everyone who's taken a stab seems to have had a genuinely good time which was my #1 goal with this silly business. Four players stepped up altogether for the first day today, some with more attempts than others; I'm hoping more folks get a chance to take a swing at it too. I will say that this has definitely also made me wish that there was a siege sack floor of 10 - 15 sacks or the like, if simply so that players coming in had a shot at a bit more for their effort without having to wait for the keep to 'mature'

In the meantime, I have prepared several additional theme decks to rotate into the first slot. I think I'll keep the middle keep consistently Portalmania for now--I was able to tune in for your rematch and the sudden arrival of Jankbot definitely made that one entertaining. I'll see what I can do to work out the best approach for the initial deck rotation--ideally, I'd like it to be a fun surprise for returning players too.

Who knows, maybe some of the data from these defenses and this weird exterior format could help inform some possible adjustments for Siege in the positive in general.

So far, my biggest requests:
      -Streamlined way to re-post sieges, ideally being able to set up 'siege blocks' that remember which three decks you posted in which order and what text you put into the boxes.
      -Ability to attach additional prizes to a siege independent of the hoard bounty.
      -A way for players to rate / leave feedback for sieges they enjoy (or hopefully constructive criticism for things they did not.)

Some more 'wishful thinking' requests:
      -An ability to set up themes / conditions for a siege, e.g. one which adheres to Rock format for attacker & defender simultaneously
      -An ability for attackers & defenders to utilize mercenaries w/ deck-building requirements in place
      -A 'dedicated' channel for coordinating and discussing siege stuff in the in-game chat client.

Far-fetched request:
      -Some manner of API hook so that e.g. you could include the status of a siege in a forum post.

Other than that, I am belatedly discovering that Ugly Sweaters are regrettably... kind of rare and expensive? I was hoping to consistently hand them out as a silly joke prize running with Pappy's bad present theme but I'm going to run out of them a lot faster than I expected, sadly.

I am also going through an enormous amount of promo/legendary/rare/etc. dust in the process of building these decks, since I am (as a matter of principle) trying to 'trick out' the theme decks to be nice to look at too.
    • HOW DID I FORGET TO MENTION YOU GOT A JANKBOT OFF A RARE PORTAL???? Man, that thing gave me a headache, but it was hilarious and fun to figure out THAT challenge.

I'll be giving you a shout-out on Topdeck Radio on monday. This is the kind of stuff I love to showcase in the Community portion of the show, which has kind of lacked for much to say the last few weeks.
      Watch Dungeon Masters of Entrath - The HEX Gameshow! Wednesday 8pm EST
      I am ThrawnOmega on Xbox Live, Twitter, Steam, and Twitch.
      Forum Avatar by @tfa_96 on Twitter.
    • And @ATPase is victorious! Since the present pull was a common that had an AA version available, I bumped it to the AA version in the prize!

I'm rotating out [DEFENSIVE] Junkifact with this win, and also switching up the additional prizes--partly because I found myself repeatedly running out of the same dust I was giving away when I was prepping new decks for the rotation. D'oh! I thought it might be fun to instead include chests, so I picked up some spares (with spins still left) from the AH to have in the prize kitty.

I'm also upping the gold reward to be enough to cover a spin on said chest! I'm not entirely sure how long I'll be able to keep including mercenaries--ideally, I'd like to think that they're a fun bonus for people to go experiment with in campaign (and hopefully FRA and Siege and other formats eventually.)

I'll see what else might be fun to include; I've got a LOT of equipment, but handing out random doodads for cards people might not have / care about seems inefficient at the very least.

One idea I had is potentially trying to set up 'side challenges' tailored to the rotating defense decks in front of your confrontation with Pappy--just additional optional goals for potential bonus prizes if you manage to achieve them all in a given run.

Since someone showed up today with a deck designed to try to keep Pappy alive like a VIP, I thought it might be fun to broaden the playing field to encourage more on-theme deckbuilding--though I know that's a bit limited as long as we've only got Standard to work with for attackers. I'm open to suggestions!

Edit: I'd also like to thank @NeroJinous for the kind and generous support as well--I'm putting whatever I can towards keeping this going and hopefully a lot of folks can have fun with it! Thanks to everyone who has been encouraging and helpful with this, it's been very uplifting to run.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Blackwood ().

• i runned this siege and have to say it was very much fun to face this three decks.
      i used a deck i wanted to use in pvp perhaps and needed some more tests without losing ranks so i used it here and it was not even tuned for the siege mode.
      because of this i had some problems and the portal challenge in area 2 i only won with one (1!) hp left and an inferno up on the other side with nothing to remove it :)
      sometimes kismet just loves me i think :) (the inferno had coul kill me at least 3 rounds or so)

I had to wait for Jasper, i think he had to prepare first.
      The night of bells already had 8 counters and pumped presents without stopping, but finally jasper shows up and i could go for the final swing:)

Very cool and thematic decks, i like them.
      Thanks for doing this!
      Dinglers are the best race on Entrath!
    • NicoSharp wrote:

This is cool. Before reading it, I knew exactly what you were giving away cause I have the same silly thinking apparently about a cool way to do a pappy jasper related giveaway.

Let me know if you need anything. I should have some pappy's laying around.
      I'll start an exclusive new Ugly Sweater-based economy!

@cainhu you'd logged off, but I sent you (and a few other folks that I could) consolation prizes--I watched several of your replays and do like your deck, you made a good showing and I hope you still had fun! I'll continue to tweak the decks and rotation as I go, so I do hope you give it another go down the road also.
    • I must say this kind of Siege was very fun. It has a nice theme to it and although I lost the first time I didn't wanted Pappy to die but took it down just in time before siege went offline and within the timer itself of the match I was rushing not to kill Pappy due to him being as a huge blocker. All those presents were crazy, it was a crazy match :-).
    • Thanks for playing @Zeero and thanks for your contributions to Pappy's Prize Pool!

While Pappy cools his heels waiting for the siege patch to go through, I've been feeling just pleased as punch with how positive things have been on the whole with this strange little challenge. One of my main goals is to make it accessible, affordable and approachable for anyone to try their hand at bagging the flying furball for prizes and taking on a variety of theme decks and unusual conditions along the way.

I'd also like to make it tenable and fun for returning players to come visit the keep again too, hopefully establishing a fairly regular rotation of stuff to mess with in the process. While it's logistically really not tenable for me to reward returning players with booster packs and a full grab-bag every time they show up (I need to spread the presents around so that as many people as I can support get a chance at fun goodies, after all) I did think about approaches that might make this a source of ongoing fun.

Drawing inspiration from @Thrawn and his clever dungeon series, I've been mulling how feasible it might be to set up a sort of for-fun / tongue-in-cheek 'Pappy Hunters' public spreadsheet to populate with silly statistics as well as miniature 'profiles' for players who might want to keep playing.

Sooner or later the second post in the thread is going to hit the 10k character limit and I'm sure that the prize structure and decks in rotation are going to continue to change as long as this challenge is ongoing--but if folks are interested, I could see a growing series of little 'side challenges' unique to the various recurring defense decks which could potentially be tied to additional optional bonus rewards or even little 'merit badges' or 'achievements' or the like.

(Example bonus challenge: the reworked Dinohunt defense deck has about 20 unique dinosaur cards in it; there could be a reward associated with taking the 'dino tour' and trying to successfully engage and take down X out of the deck's different dinos from play for a special achievement.)

I'll want to get a feel for how time (and finance) intensive that would actually be, but that seems to me like a possible solution to add some legs (please don't give Pappy himself more legs) and give a little something extra for players who had fun and want to explore more theme decks along the way. Let me know what you think!

In the meantime, my current plan is to continue keeping this keep low-cost despite the change to siege currency, since ultimately the goal is for even players who might not have the strongest decks or in-game currency to be able to try their hand at tracking down Pappy's sleigh.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Blackwood ().

• Blackwood wrote:

NicoSharp wrote:

This is cool. Before reading it, I knew exactly what you were giving away cause I have the same silly thinking apparently about a cool way to do a pappy jasper related giveaway.

Let me know if you need anything. I should have some pappy's laying around.
      I'll start an exclusive new Ugly Sweater-based economy!
      @cainhu you'd logged off, but I sent you (and a few other folks that I could) consolation prizes--I watched several of your replays and do like your deck, you made a good showing and I hope you still had fun! I'll continue to tweak the decks and rotation as I go, so I do hope you give it another go down the road also.
      Huh, thank you very much! Sorry that i left, but the family just got home. :)

Honestly at this point I like every one of your decks I encountered, except the Pappy deck. Transform deck vs. portals was very fun in itself! But it's more a personal preference thing than anything wrong with the Pappy Jasper deck itself. But I really hate non-interactive control decks, where I literally can't play cards for turns, or even a full hand and multi-creature board state can't even interact with a troop.
    • cainhu wrote:

Huh, thank you very much! Sorry that i left, but the family just got home. :)
      Honestly at this point I like every one of your decks I encountered, except the Pappy deck. Transform deck vs. portals was very fun in itself! But it's more a personal preference thing than anything wrong with the Pappy Jasper deck itself. But I really hate non-interactive control decks, where I literally can't play cards for turns, or even a full hand and multi-creature board state can't even interact with a troop.
      I can definitely appreciate that; the original intent behind some of those elements was trying to solve the dilemma of how to keep obstacles in place while the deck was looking to play Pappy, ideally to avoid it being easy to keep the board clear / get the AI down to 1 health and then wait it out, etc. I totally recognize that the nature of this can also lead to frustrating rounds too though (especially when the AI manages to get a hand -bristling- with those things.)

So, since Pappy's been bagged this morning already, I'm going to be work-shopping his deck with his dingler helpers and will post a revised version moving forward in the interests of trying to keep it tricky, but more consistently interactive in that trickiness. :)

I'm also at the 10k word limit on the second post, so I'm going to be taking the opportunity to get a stats and prize spreadsheet setup for folks to peruse. Congratulations to @BigFatTroll for catching Pappy in this latest run, however--and bagging a Pippit Hustler, 1x Dallad mercenary, 1x Uncommon Doombringer Chest, 4x EA Spectral Acorn, 3100 gold and a Doombringer Booster Pack. Bravo!
    • I'm happy to report that Pappy is back in the air and available for challengers again--and that I have adjusted Pappy's deck in an effort to make it more interactive in his frosty compatriots. Folks who may have been daunted before by Pappy's entourage are welcome and encouraged to make a new effort to bag the flying furball for prizes!
    • @NicoSharp brought an intrepid team to bring Pappy to task resulting in a scandal Entrath may not be prepared to handle...! NicoSharp succeeded at bagging the flying furball and taking home the chase card Eldritch Shriek along with 1x Dallad mercenary, 1x Uncommon Doombringer Chest, 4x EA Spectral Acorn, 3100 gold and a Doombringer Booster Pack... but at what cost?! Mysteriously, an Aura Eater has joined the Pappy Jasper Prize Pool.
    • I know many of the present pulls are liable to be less than ideal, which is the reason for the rest of the prize pool and booster packs. Still, I hope you had fun tracking down Pappy, even if he and his work team were cruelly struck down and banished with Herofall. Truly, Pappy Jaster is the hero we need.

Pappy Patchnotes 1.00.24.02
      -Dimensional Dinglers deployed to retrieve Pappy Jasper from the void
      -Thermostat adjusted in Blizzard cottage to prevent pipes freezing
      -Booster pack supply increased in anticipation of winter storm
      -Adjusted Heavyweight Squirrel Whirl competition to include more squirrels
      -Alpha testing of Pappy Jasper Prize Patrol Tracking Sheet begun
      -Commemorative bust of Pappy Jasper accidentally dropped into a portal
      -Investigating reports of AI misconduct in 'setting up cool ramps for squirrels to launch off of'
      -Reduced the number of bells on Pappy Jasper's sleigh while engineering looks into a problem with AMD processors
      -Increased the number of lights on Pappy Jasper's mailbox to deter Shadowtail Rider baseball bat ride-bys
      -Implemented recursive yeti reticulation for better rendering of Pappy Jasper's luxurious mane with NVIDIA GPUs utilizing JaspFX

The post was edited 1 time, last by Blackwood ().