fix your limited formats

• I hate the idea of bo1 for draft, but if that's what it takes to get people to play draft then so be it. Queue times are ridiculous and have been for a while. Things were bad before immortal gauntlet and cosmic coins. 12 drafts firing a day is sad to think about, how can the game survive with this amount of activity.
    • GobBluth wrote:

I hate the idea of bo1 for draft, but if that's what it takes to get people to play draft then so be it. Queue times are ridiculous and have been for a while. Things were bad before immortal gauntlet and cosmic coins. 12 drafts firing a day is sad to think about, how can the game survive with this amount of activity.
      best case would be a bo1 draft asynch gauntlet and a bo3 pod draft queue ... but .... playerbase =/
      Austrian Kickstarter & Slacker Backer
      -=] Dont mess with the bull, you gonna get the horn [=-
    • there's no audience for even more casual limited formats because the modes are all pay to play. the casual stuff people can play on their phones in tiny chunks is something for the free games with a million players. it would do nothing for hex. $7 entry fee is not casual.

even when hex got rid of pods, there was no huge audience that suddenly started drafting a lot because the lack of async was never the obstacle. it was always because $7 is too much, especially when they have a very low chance of winning

hex did nothing to get ps4 players up to speed with drafting. most of the ones who tried didn't even play 40 card decks.

the addition of evo sealed was a step in the right direction. $5 is still too much for a video game, but at least the concept of letting people learn the game through sealed was a good one.

limited is just treated as a way to get people to open packs, which almost nobody wants to do 2 weeks after a set release, let alone 2 months after one. there is no more continuous pipeline of people willing to pay for a collection through drafting. turn the mode into gameplay, not an investment opportunity

draft is the best tournament mode in the game, or at least it used to be. it could at least serve that role again. make it a scheduled event if it's not popular enough to fire nonstop. let it rotate between different formats. let people make cubes or other custom card groupings. variety matters. people are willing to play 10 mediocre maps one after another more than they're willing to play a single map 10 times in a row.

that would be a more interesting direction than chasing some non-existent group of people who want some goldilocks level midpoint between mtg arena and magic online.
    • Biz wrote:

there's no audience for even more casual limited formats because the modes are all pay to play. the casual stuff people can play on their phones in tiny chunks is something for the free games with a million players. it would do nothing for hex. $7 entry fee is not casual.

even when hex got rid of pods, there was no huge audience that suddenly started drafting a lot because the lack of async was never the obstacle. it was always because $7 is too much, especially when they have a very low chance of winning

hex did nothing to get ps4 players up to speed with drafting. most of the ones who tried didn't even play 40 card decks.

the addition of evo sealed was a step in the right direction. $5 is still too much for a video game, but at least the concept of letting people learn the game through sealed was a good one.

limited is just treated as a way to get people to open packs, which almost nobody wants to do 2 weeks after a set release, let alone 2 months after one. there is no more continuous pipeline of people willing to pay for a collection through drafting. turn the mode into gameplay, not an investment opportunity

draft is the best tournament mode in the game, or at least it used to be. it could at least serve that role again. make it a scheduled event if it's not popular enough to fire nonstop. let it rotate between different formats. let people make cubes or other custom card groupings. variety matters. people are willing to play 10 mediocre maps one after another more than they're willing to play a single map 10 times in a row.

that would be a more interesting direction than chasing some non-existent group of people who want some goldilocks level midpoint between mtg arena and magic online.

I don't know.... as writing this comment I am currently doing a Dominaria Competitive draft at $7.5 and a Aetir Revolt quick draft at $3.75 on Magic Arena, games are firing in less than 10 sec even at noon CET.... so the audience exist.

Yes Bo1
      win 7 or lose 3
      no matchmaking

is the road to take.

And for players who want pure draft, yes open 2 slot every hours at prime times and all week-end for scheduled in-pod swiss Bo3 draft
    • No one is going to (should) pay 5-7 USD to play Limited in a dying game as an investment or for collecting cards. The people left are those doing it for the fun of it.

Unfortunately, the Prismatic focused set is hard to play with and, therefore, not too much fun.

Unless we get some good news, even when next comes, I suspect a great deal of people will crack open any packs they get outside of Limited in order to minimize losses (because right now spending on the game to increase your collection is a loss, if said game shuts down in 2 months). At best they may play EVO.

I have to repeat @'Cernz''s observation regarding community activity. The forums are crawling, compared to before. Reddit activity is also down. And even if we didn't have many streamers anyway, the dead periods when no one is streaming Hex are getting longer and longer. And, in all honesty, losing the people that have been invested and stuck with the game through 5 years of difficulties is huge. The newer players are far easier to leave without another thought on a second's notice.
    • Cernz wrote:

GobBluth wrote:

I hate the idea of bo1 for draft, but if that's what it takes to get people to play draft then so be it. Queue times are ridiculous and have been for a while. Things were bad before immortal gauntlet and cosmic coins. 12 drafts firing a day is sad to think about, how can the game survive with this amount of activity.
      best case would be a bo1 draft asynch gauntlet and a bo3 pod draft queue ... but .... playerbase =/
      Actually it could work if you plan accordingly

Bo1 queue always up. Make it 7 games ( win or lose ).

Make a bo3 draft pod with competitive players in mind. This means make it a time event on weekends. Cost should also be represented by this. 1000p and make it worth it with prizes. You could even make those the kismet drafts so they feel even more special.

You’ll have 2 type of draft that directly targets 2 type of audience
    • Vroengard wrote:

No one is going to (should) pay 5-7 USD to play Limited in a dying game as an investment or for collecting cards. The people left are those doing it for the fun of it.

Unfortunately, the Prismatic focused set is hard to play with and, therefore, not too much fun.

Unless we get some good news, even when next comes, I suspect a great deal of people will crack open any packs they get outside of Limited in order to minimize losses (because right now spending on the game to increase your collection is a loss, if said game shuts down in 2 months). At best they may play EVO.

I have to repeat @'Cernz''s observation regarding community activity. The forums are crawling, compared to before. Reddit activity is also down. And even if we didn't have many streamers anyway, the dead periods when no one is streaming Hex are getting longer and longer. And, in all honesty, losing the people that have been invested and stuck with the game through 5 years of difficulties is huge. The newer players are far easier to leave without another thought on a second's notice.
      well when you have posts and posts about a dead game or a game that people keep repeating that they game will die in 2 months and that people should not invest what do you expect. If I’d be a new player I’d run away.
    • Gregangel wrote:

I don't know.... as writing this comment I am currently doing a Dominaria Competitive draft at $7.5 and a Aetir Revolt quick draft at $3.75 on Magic Arena, games are firing in less than 10 sec even at noon CET.... so the audience exist.
      10 second wait times don't occur because it's best of 1. 10 second wait times occur because there are thousands of people playing simultaneously

you're also being matched with people who didn't have to pay real money to play because they can probably do some weekly amount of drafts for free from in-game rewards and prizes, depending on how often they win

copying the mode without copying the pricing and the player count doesn't do anything

limited in ccgs is incentivized when opening packs is the only way to get cards. it makes more sense for it to be short because it's just a means to an end

there's no artificial incentive to grind limited in a tcg because you can just buy or trade for the cards you want. limited here would work as a mode for people who want to play for the gameplay, because people who want to get cards have other ways to get them.
    • Portensio wrote:

Vroengard wrote:

No one is going to (should) pay 5-7 USD to play Limited in a dying game as an investment or for collecting cards. The people left are those doing it for the fun of it.

well when you have posts and posts about a dead game or a game that people keep repeating that they game will die in 2 months and that people should not invest what do you expect. If I’d be a new player I’d run away.
      If you're trying to spin it on a way to imply that the players criticising the game and saying things as they are, are the issue, then I have to remind you that the game is on a dying route for the last 1.5 - 2 years, we were very discreet about it despite it being obvious and we went not one but ten extra miless to help in every single way, with feedback with content, with guides and even money which the devs did not deserve for the amount of things that were going bad.

So if NOW HXE's mistakes are getting EVEN WORSE and if players' patience is running out, no one in their right mind could blame the community about the state of the game.
    • Vroengard wrote:

Just speaking for myself here. I stopped streaming because of the community not because of the game, specifically the forums community. This community is great at exploiting and hating on content and very bad at supporting/creating stuff on their own even though we have the necessary means to do so. Just an example if it comes to exploiting a faulty siege sack system it takes you lot a couple of days to setup ingame chat rooms and farm the sacks that were meant to be endgame content in a matter of days while still complaining.

But sure you might be correct and the community goes ahead and fullfills the prophecy it created itself.
    • Thank you for the streaming in the past Vestris. People yelling that the game is dying is probably too much and I have been guilty in the past.

However, I should not be responsible for creating content for Hex. The developers should be making fun limited modes that gets people interested they are not. The developers made a poor siege system and I should not be responsible to shine a turd.
    • That is just one way to see it. I see it like this, games where people engage, make good content, show enthusiasm flourish. Other games not so much. Of course this also needs support by the company to make it work properly but also from the community.

The vocal and loud majority here does the opposite and the game is in decline. This is not supposed to say that only the players/community are at fault far from it. But the overall underappreciation of the content that is created from hex or content producers in comparisson to the negativity that is thrown around is not even in the same dimension.

And yes that kills content creation. Its not only the critique itself but the quality and quantity of said critique. To be frank I don't think that most, even constructive feedback here on the forums deserves any consideration because of the way it is done. And what made me furious about this, declaring my and others "non-streaming" as a symptom of a crisis, while the imaginary crisis at least for me is the reason. I would like people to speak for themselves instead of these constant assuming and building of phantom majorities that are not there.

I feel like even though many people here claim otherwise they do not actually care about the wellbeing of the game.
    • vestris wrote:

That is just one way to see it. I see it like this, games where people engage, make good content, show enthusiasm flourish. Other games not so much. Of course this also needs support by the company to make it work properly but also from the community.

The vocal and loud majority here does the opposite and the game is in decline. This is not supposed to say that only the players/community are at fault far from it. But the overall underappreciation of the content that is created from hex or content producers in comparisson to the negativity that is thrown around is not even in the same dimension.

And yes that kills content creation. Its not only the critique itself but the quality and quantity of said critique. To be frank I don't think that most, even constructive feedback here on the forums deserves any consideration because of the way it is done. And what made me furious about this, declaring my and others "non-streaming" as a symptom of a crisis, while the imaginary crisis at least for me is the reason. I would like people to speak for themselves instead of these constant assuming and building of phantom majorities that are not there.

I feel like even though many people here claim otherwise they do not actually care about the wellbeing of the game.
      It is a gaming forum you are going to have biting criticism. Also you have people that spent good money on the promise of a mmo tcg. It didnt happen and some people feel like they got hoodwinked. You will never be able to change the above unless pve is more fleshed out.

In pod draft was much more fun to watch on a stream imo. Regardless the problems with hex are like 90% their fault and maybe 10% ours. It kind of makes me sick to my stomach that people point the easy finger at the community when hex has done little for so long. They have improved constructed and the clash, they now need to improve limited.
    • @vestris This is so fucking twisted. There are two types of games that attract more than the average amount of content creators: Huge games where content creators have huge audience to live off and amazing games that content creators enjoy and with a little push can become huge games.

For everything else, the audience and the content creators depend only in the quality of the game. Hex is a card game and it's not even that good to create content. The amount of content and audience is just about right.

Content can't come for mediocre games on its own. Good games have good content. The way you present it it's reversing cause and effect.

By the way, saying that you're withholding content as a knee-jerk reaction to the community is like throwing a childish tantrum. Your actions are not dependant on anything other than you. You probably don't enjoy the game enough if you let others dictate how you feel.
    • @vestris Also, you talk about people being assholes and indiscriminately hating everything HXE does which is a huge lie.

People were delighted with the Cosmic coins. The ladder changes (star gaining and reset changes) also got major positive feedback. The CvC too, the format, not the implementation. Even the decks which tanked card prices for the future, despite of that, people swallowed their bitterness and majorly agreed it was a nice idea.

You can't say the community blindly hates. And you should not ask us to shut up unless we only have good things to say. Siege is a disgrace of an Alpha mode and Siege sacks suck. Dingleton is the only thing more weird than the PS4 port.