fix your limited formats

• Yeah, I agree that change was terrible. No one likes gauntlet draft as pod drafts are superior in (almost) all ways and that is the main reason I go Evo instead as gauntlet draft does not make it much different than Evo either way except that I can force something I find fun for funsies.
    • dont like this prismatic set at all, and guess what... its just part 1 of 2 :( so ... more nonsense stuff to come within the next set, evo is the least fun experience since evo launch imo at least.
      Austrian Kickstarter & Slacker Backer
      -=] Dont mess with the bull, you gonna get the horn [=-
    • Lunavi wrote:

Yeah, I agree that change was terrible. No one likes gauntlet draft as pod drafts are superior in (almost) all ways and that is the main reason I go Evo instead as gauntlet draft does not make it much different than Evo either way except that I can force something I find fun for funsies.
      Being that MTGO pretty much 100% switched to this Gauntlet Draft style I would argue your logic there. MTGO, at least for handling formats, really knows what they are doing.
    • JinsakuAjo wrote:

Lunavi wrote:

Yeah, I agree that change was terrible. No one likes gauntlet draft as pod drafts are superior in (almost) all ways and that is the main reason I go Evo instead as gauntlet draft does not make it much different than Evo either way except that I can force something I find fun for funsies.
      Being that MTGO pretty much 100% switched to this Gauntlet Draft style I would argue your logic there. MTGO, at least for handling formats, really knows what they are doing.
      It is easier to play "on the go" which was what they were aiming for but as a drafting experience it is terrible as it removes a lot of the depth of the format. And no, I do not talk about "hate drafting", but rather "hmm, I know these decks will be around the table, so these side-tech cards might be more helpful than adding this card that only slightly improves the quality of my main deck to the deck..." which is one important aspect completely removed with this style of draft.
    • Lunavi wrote:

JinsakuAjo wrote:

Lunavi wrote:

It is easier to play "on the go" which was what they were aiming for but as a drafting experience it is terrible as it removes a lot of the depth of the format. And no, I do not talk about "hate drafting", but rather "hmm, I know these decks will be around the table, so these side-tech cards might be more helpful than adding this card that only slightly improves the quality of my main deck to the deck..." which is one important aspect completely removed with this style of draft.
      Sure, fully agree from a "draft purity" aspect (I've been drafting since Ice Age in the late 90s), but for a fun and convenience I draft a ton more because I rarely have 3 hours at one point to set aside to draft.

To me, that feels like a strong appeal to what most players want. Again, why else would MTGO move pretty much fully to this model if they hadn't done the research? Async is what people want, so you give it to them.
    • Biz wrote:

the MTGO situation is different because they're looking at a wait time of a few seconds for the popular leagues

they don't use async for modes that have a low player population (because the wait times are unacceptable)
      Synchronous does not improve wait times....

So let's do some quick numbers here:

If Asynch requires 2 people for a match and has a 2.5 hour wait, and pod requires 8 people... how do you think the wait is going to somehow be lower?

Is Pod draft going to miraculously quadruple our playerbase?

The only way they're going to actually improve wait times is to get rid of pairing by wins. Right now, Async has 3 different queues, 0 wins, 1 win, and 2 wins... effectively splitting the playerbase into 3 ever-shrinking groups. And with the reward structure how it is, the 2-win group is essentially non-existent since most 2-win players split. Additionally, a lot of people quit after first loss because the reward structure is so bad that they feel it's pointless. This is why the queue times are so bad.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • CoSVII wrote:

I always quit if I lose round 1 of draft. A one random rate is not worth the effort to play two more best of three matches.
      If you go 2-1 you get 2 packs, I think. Just so you know. (ie. if you lose round 1 but win rounds 2 and 3, you get 2 packs)
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

• Wait times are as bad as they've ever been. When I queue at 2-0 I make sure I have something else to do and just have the sound on for the horn cause I know it will be a long wait. Waited 1+ hours multiple times. 1 or 2 wins is hit or miss with the amount of waiting.

Edit: I love this limited format. It's diverse (maybe not diverse cause I always play 5 shards but there is card variety for sure) and still interesting. I don't know why it is that more people don't play or why this game isn't popular enough to attract more people to play limited. But I've been wondering that for years.

The post was edited 2 times, last by GobBluth ().

• Eraia wrote:

Biz wrote:

the MTGO situation is different because they're looking at a wait time of a few seconds for the popular leagues

they don't use async for modes that have a low player population (because the wait times are unacceptable)
      Synchronous does not improve wait times....
      So let's do some quick numbers here:

If Asynch requires 2 people for a match and has a 2.5 hour wait, and pod requires 8 people... how do you think the wait is going to somehow be lower?

Is Pod draft going to miraculously quadruple our playerbase?

The only way they're going to actually improve wait times is to get rid of pairing by wins. Right now, Async has 3 different queues, 0 wins, 1 win, and 2 wins... effectively splitting the playerbase into 3 ever-shrinking groups. And with the reward structure how it is, the 2-win group is essentially non-existent since most 2-win players split. Additionally, a lot of people quit after first loss because the reward structure is so bad that they feel it's pointless. This is why the queue times are so bad.
      Isn't the prize support bad because it is Async. Pod draft is 2 packs for 1 win. A pretty huge upgrade from 1 win in Async because of the nature of how many people end up with 1 win. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
    • Ducklett wrote:

Isn't the prize support bad because it is Async. Pod draft is 2 packs for 1 win. A pretty huge upgrade from 1 win in Async because of the nature of how many people end up with 1 win. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
      No, the prize support is bad because Hex doesn't know what they're doing.

It happened at the same time as asynch but I promise you that it is possible to design a good prize structure for an asynchronous tournament.

• Eraia wrote:

Ducklett wrote:

No, the prize support is bad because Hex doesn't know what they're doing.
      It happened at the same time as asynch but I promise you that it is possible to design a good prize structure for an asynchronous tournament.
      This.

Asynch + a more casual friendly format would help.

Evo is the most popular format, offers opened packs (which is good for hex since you need to buy new packs to play the format but is also good to put cards into the market) but is not so good to go infinite with what you win (not considering the content).

Make draft , 7 bo1 with prizes at the bottom (not gold please... )

I always though that cosmic coins or sacs could be used other than just the cosmic players. giving out 50 coins per win + adding packs as it goes.

I even mentionned once that there are other ways to make this more casual by adding ohhh a ramdom pack (from any set) or even Kismet packs (the pve one not the draft one).