Signature Decks Return

• What an unexpected development, though certainly one that has (by and large) been requested for a while from a lot of folks. I think that this is ultimately a very bold, good move in the right direction if HXE wants to temper cost of entry for players circling on the competitive side of things (even though we all know this is really just so that people have a fighting chance against Siege AI, right guys? Guys? Ow, stop!)

Is it weird that I half-expected for a secondary reveal of 'by the way these cards aren't tradeable' for these decks? Not that it would have made an economic difference necessarily, mind--I was just waiting for that to be the other shoe dropping so to speak.

Actually good decks on sale. Neat.

Poor Kismet pack, in the meantime--another new collector deck hits the ground running (a very nice one at that.) I guess Vampires really are timeless.
    • First off, I mean no disrespect to Havoc for my post. However:

Why not let Ali make the Sugar Rush deck? He writes for the main site, and has championed the deck since day 1. I would feel kind of let down if I were him. Just a thought.

It would have been so much better to let Havoc build a deck around Seeker, as that's the last card off the top of my head that has sky-high prices from DoW block.

Anyhow, these decks are fabulous and I am really excited for this new direction we are headed in.

Thank the whole team for me.
    • StorrowN wrote:

First off, I mean no disrespect to Havoc for my post. However:

Why not let Ali make the Sugar Rush deck? He writes for the main site, and has championed the deck since day 1. I would feel kind of let down if I were him. Just a thought.

It would have been so much better to let Havoc build a deck around Seeker, as that's the last card off the top of my head that has sky-high prices from DoW block.

Anyhow, these decks are fabulous and I am really excited for this new direction we are headed in.

The answer to that has two parts. First, we didn't give each deck creator an archetype. They got guidelines to work with, but they were otherwise free to create within the constraints we gave them. Second, while the deck Havoc made shares the Sugar Rush name (and we called out Ali's contribution within the article itself for that very reason), the main similarity between the two decks lies in the Rowdy Piper & Sugar Rush combo. The rest of the deck is quite different if you look at it and focuses more on beat downs rather than infinite turn shenanigans.

Glad you like the decks!
    • I think this is a very good thing. It lead to a sudden crash in the value of a number of highly valued cards, and that has upset some people. Ultimately I think it is for the best though (and it would've happened just the same if the article had come out before the decks). Getting new players and retaining the ones we have will ultimately add far more value to everyone's collection than the ability to sell their Shamrocks for 2000 plat.

It would be really nice to get a commitment for when/if the next set of signature decks will occur. This will allow the market to price things in anticipation of decks like these coming out that will utilize some of the best cards, which will keep cards from getting overpriced in the meantime. For example, if we knew that a new set of decks would come two months after the set release, or two months after every odd numbered set release.
    • Dinotropia wrote:

StorrowN wrote:

First off, I mean no disrespect to Havoc for my post. However:

The answer to that has two parts. First, we didn't give each deck creator an archetype. They got guidelines to work with, but they were otherwise free to create within the constraints we gave them. Second, while the deck Havoc made shares the Sugar Rush name (and we called out Ali's contribution within the article itself for that very reason), the main similarity between the two decks lies in the Rowdy Piper & Sugar Rush combo. The rest of the deck is quite different if you look at it and focuses more on beat downs rather than infinite turn shenanigans.
      Glad you like the decks!
      sooo, you've decided to release 2 actually pretty decent playable tier 1.5-2 decks and a huge hot steaming pile of shit, not bad. and the value of the latter is much lower as well

nothing personal, havoc, but this "deck" is a very bad joke at max
    • It is fantastic that you are doing this. Some comments on ways to make it better:

1. I'd suggest having the creators pursue different deck styles (aggro, mid range, combo, etc). Glancing at the list, all 3 decks look like beat the face decks in different colors.
      2. I wish you had included remnant resources so that deck prices weren't so heightened by their resources
      3. Not clear to me how the deck designers were chosen, but consider holding contests to let people design decks. Maybe like a CCS winner or a random person that made top 8 has the opportunity to design a deck that will appear in the store
    • This is exactly what the game needed for PvP. Good job, and I am glad you guys are pocketing the benefits from selling these bundled.

Keep doing this.

Be mindful of players interest to progress to what they actually want.

Keep shifting in this direction on both ends, because trade for players is not sustainable for the majority anyway. Most don't want to put in the effort. We need more direct routes. (and we need less sharks in the water tbf)
    • AxelDWater wrote:

A nice and bold move!
      I really like these decks and the prices are exceptionally good.
      Do we got also so.e sweet sleeves or not?
      I guess no...
      No sleeves associated with the signature decks, just the collector's decks. I'm relieved at that, personally; besides, you can get the sweet Shamrock sleeve from that deck and then use it with the signature deck anyways and it'll be fancily animated and give you a AAA to slot in too.
    • Shinshire wrote:

ah, gotcha

havoc just follows the tradition CVM started in the past: of one of the decks to be total garbage - hextcg.com/a-sign-of-things-to-come/
      I feel like that Zomboyz list deserves just as much criticism. Why are there ZERO one drop troops? Boltspasm and Flare Imp aren't exactly breaking the budget, and playing Rhiannon with only 3 familiars is baffling. The rares somehow make this deck worse than a cheaper version - the 3 drop is clogged, the thresholds are horrible with a cheap resource base. Acolyte of the Flame over Lazgar's Bloodsworn - huh?

Its not hard to netdeck and copy the cards people actually play.
    • The original implementation back on '16 was supposed to follow Standard rotation. It must have been mentioned in the Gameforge forums, since I can't find it in the article itself, so it's irrecoverable now.

I urge HXE to actually follow through with that plan this time around. There's a bunch of players that can brew a decent Standard Constructed budget deck once every 8 months.