The new prebuild decks are ridiculous, half of my collection is worthless now

    • So I've have a bit of time to reflect on these decks, stream and hear people's opinion's as well. After a lot of thought, I think these decks are actually a great thing for hex.

      I wanna be clear in this statement I'm about to make:

      *** HEX HAS GOTTEN WAY TOO EXPENSIVE TO PLAY FOR ITS OWN GOOD ***

      This, while perhaps a bit of an overreaction, does help solve this problem quickly, while also letting you tell your friends "Hey, come join me play this game, its very cheap to start in, and you can ear tons of free stuff!"

      In the end, do I think the decks are a little too cheap? Perhaps... but still, there's almost no denying these can help spark a new player base into the game.
    • Venomspider wrote:

      The main problem arising from this way of implementing these decks is not the loss of value because, as people mentioned, the value is lost anyway as soon as this is announced. I think, however, that the value of these cards would have had more time to SLOWLY get to a lower level if an announcement had been made 2-3 weeks ago and not everyone is checking the forums and game every day, so these people just lost value right now and don't know anything about it. Players might also get scared now and sell their stuff for a lot less.

      People were complaining about communication from Hex for a very long time and they had reasons to do so. Now this happens and it seems that almost no player was really prepared for this. That is by far the bigger problem because it shows once more that those who complain about your communication are actually right. Your customers have to trust you, though, and this is also something that increases the stability issues I mentioned in another thread. Good communication provides stability of the entire game because players can plan things.

      Again, all of this is only my opinion if this is implemented on purpose. Otherwise, it was a mistake and should be fixed ASAP.
      Why should prices go down slowly? That has no logic. It's not good for anyone except a potential seller.

      Assume that there were a 3 weeks notice. The minute it's announced prices should go down drastically. Not as much as with a direct release, but closer. Also, new players might just wait until the decks are out, pushing prices even lower. And, if someone buys a card for the old value... what's the gain for Hex? That an experienced player basically scammed another? Why should they let this happen?

      Then we can have this discussion: if the values of our collections depends only on the 3 T1 decks from Standard, then we have a major issue as a TCG Economy. But that's a discussion for another topic.
      Twitter: @Plotynus

      ZonaHex.com - Un sitio en español sobre Hex! / A spanish site about Hex.
    • Hmm... no advance notice, nothing in patch notes, poorly thought out, hurts existing players in the hopes of helping new players, radio silence in response to initial frustration from the playerbase... yep, sounds like a HexEnt implementation. :(
      --ossuary

      "Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
      - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well
    • Plotynus wrote:

      Venomspider wrote:

      The main problem arising from this way of implementing these decks is not the loss of value because, as people mentioned, the value is lost anyway as soon as this is announced. I think, however, that the value of these cards would have had more time to SLOWLY get to a lower level if an announcement had been made 2-3 weeks ago and not everyone is checking the forums and game every day, so these people just lost value right now and don't know anything about it. Players might also get scared now and sell their stuff for a lot less.

      People were complaining about communication from Hex for a very long time and they had reasons to do so. Now this happens and it seems that almost no player was really prepared for this. That is by far the bigger problem because it shows once more that those who complain about your communication are actually right. Your customers have to trust you, though, and this is also something that increases the stability issues I mentioned in another thread. Good communication provides stability of the entire game because players can plan things.

      Again, all of this is only my opinion if this is implemented on purpose. Otherwise, it was a mistake and should be fixed ASAP.
      Why should prices go down slowly? That has no logic. It's not good for anyone except a potential seller.
      Assume that there were a 3 weeks notice. The minute it's announced prices should go down drastically. Not as much as with a direct release, but closer. Also, new players might just wait until the decks are out, pushing prices even lower. And, if someone buys a card for the old value... what's the gain for Hex? That an experienced player basically scammed another? Why should they let this happen?

      Then we can have this discussion: if the values of our collections depends only on the 3 T1 decks from Standard, then we have a major issue as a TCG Economy. But that's a discussion for another topic.
      Every card's price go down drastically 16 months after release because of rotation, should their prices go down drastically after release?
    • Ossuary wrote:

      Hmm... no advance notice, nothing in patch notes, poorly thought out, hurts existing players in the hopes of helping new players, radio silence in response to initial frustration from the playerbase... yep, sounds like a HexEnt implementation. :(
      I don't really get what advance notice is supposed to do. Prices are going to crash the instant it's announced regardless of whether they give a week or two heads up. I paid full price for Goldfathers/Pathfinders etc so I'm def losing out a little, but I really don't mind if it lowers the barrier to entry.
    • Ossuary wrote:

      Hmm... no advance notice, nothing in patch notes, poorly thought out, hurts existing players in the hopes of helping new players, radio silence in response to initial frustration from the playerbase... yep, sounds like a HexEnt implementation. :(
      I disagree. It doesn't hurt playerbase, but a tiny part of it. If they gonna do such pre constructed decks more frequently, decks in future will be cheaper. So, in long run, everyone gains, maybe with exception of price speculators who bought over 9000 Shamrocks and Phoenixes in pre Doombringer meta to sell them for twice their previous price.
    • That reaction clip is adorable.

      Also, for as much as I was grousing and frustrated with the nature of some recent decisions, the signature decks are a big positive move to me and got me to promote the game again and spend more cash on it despite finally swearing that off a week ago (I took a hypocritic oath, not a hippocratic one, sorry.)

      I'm feeling more positive for Hex, communication cringes aside; let's try to get some momentum going with more positive changes to encourage people to play, yeah?
    • After reading the discussion here I'm yet again dissapointed. Not in the company, mind you, I'm hugely dissapointed in the playerbase this time. Now, I try my hardest to concentrate on being positive and optymistic most of the time with an ocasional bad joke tossed in for Good measure, so please do excuse me for what I'm about to Ask my beloved fellow players: "The hell do you guys even want!?"

      Obvious answer, communication, I know, but that's not what I'm reffering to. We, as a community, have asked, actually asked, for hex to be cheaper fo r newbies. We have asked for some cool drops for siege. What do we do when we get what we asked for? We whine and whine ad infinituum.

      I'm 1000% on our side in this, it's not like a part of my collection won't lose "value", but this is what we, as a community, wanted to happen, so we ahouldn't now be sour when HXE gave us what we asked for on these very forums.

      Can we really blame them for not wanting to communicate when all they get are these kinds of responces? We want communication, yes, but we ahould show we can also be apreciative of when they listem to the playerbase.
    • Plotynus wrote:

      Why should prices go down slowly? That has no logic. It's not good for anyone except a potential seller.

      Assume that there were a 3 weeks notice. The minute it's announced prices should go down drastically. Not as much as with a direct release, but closer. Also, new players might just wait until the decks are out, pushing prices even lower. And, if someone buys a card for the old value... what's the gain for Hex? That an experienced player basically scammed another? Why should they let this happen?

      Then we can have this discussion: if the values of our collections depends only on the 3 T1 decks from Standard, then we have a major issue as a TCG Economy. But that's a discussion for another topic.
      The gain for Hex is that these sellers aren't caught completely off guard and frustrated by the way this is implemented (and quit). As I mentioned, this is mainly a trust/reliability issue and not a loss of value problem.

      The price should go down slowly because people get pissed when their 20$ cards are suddenly at 5$ without them having the chance to at least try to get 10$ and this is bad for Hex. I don't think that an announcement would reduce the value in this example to 5$ immediately unless people in this community are extremely nervous. If something is announced, you have to realize that it isn't in the game yet! So players who want to play a certain deck or only need a few items right after the announcement will still try to get them or have to waste some time waiting for the decks and that's how the game has worked so far (spend time or money). Nobody scammed anyone in this example because both parties were willing to pay the price. If one party did it because they didn't read publicly available information, it's not the task of the seller to inform them about this (or assume that they don't know about it and explain out of nowhere). I have made such mistakes myself and still believe that.

      I really hope nobody thinks that the value of their entire collection depends on 3 decks.

      Having these decks is great, though.
    • I built a momentum deck last month to climb the ladder and try out constructed. I didn't play much in set 7 or 8 (hated them) so I had to buy most of the cards that were devalued by this patch. To all those saying "What difference does it make if these were announced ahead of time?", I say the difference is that I wouldn't have spent all that platinum. I can't imagine why I would ever want to spend my own money in Hex again.
    • Karot wrote:

      After reading the discussion here I'm yet again dissapointed. Not in the company, mind you, I'm hugely dissapointed in the playerbase this time. Now, I try my hardest to concentrate on being positive and optymistic most of the time with an ocasional bad joke tossed in for Good measure, so please do excuse me for what I'm about to Ask my beloved fellow players: "The hell do you guys even want!?"

      Obvious answer, communication, I know, but that's not what I'm reffering to. We, as a community, have asked, actually asked, for hex to be cheaper fo r newbies. We have asked for some cool drops for siege. What do we do when we get what we asked for? We whine and whine ad infinituum.

      I'm 1000% on our side in this, it's not like a part of my collection won't lose "value", but this is what we, as a community, wanted to happen, so we ahouldn't now be sour when HXE gave us what we asked for on these very forums.

      Can we really blame them for not wanting to communicate when all they get are these kinds of responces? We want communication, yes, but we ahould show we can also be apreciative of when they listem to the playerbase.
      I believe most of the comments in this thread are positive about the decks and almost all negative ones are about the missing communication.
    • Kubiran wrote:

      I built a momentum deck last month to climb the ladder and try out constructed. I didn't play much in set 7 or 8 (hated them) so I had to buy most of the cards that were devalued by this patch. To all those saying "What difference does it make if these were announced ahead of time?", I say the difference is that I wouldn't have spent all that platinum. I can't imagine why I would ever want to spend my own money in Hex again.
      Thank you for your sacrifice Kubiran. With you buying the deck over a month ago, an announcement would not of helped you much if at all.
    • Shivdaddy wrote:

      Kubiran wrote:

      I built a momentum deck last month to climb the ladder and try out constructed. I didn't play much in set 7 or 8 (hated them) so I had to buy most of the cards that were devalued by this patch. To all those saying "What difference does it make if these were announced ahead of time?", I say the difference is that I wouldn't have spent all that platinum. I can't imagine why I would ever want to spend my own money in Hex again.
      Thank you for your sacrifice Kubiran. With you buying the deck over a month ago, an announcement would not of helped you much if at all.
      Last month is three weeks ago. I didn't use the deck until ladder reset at the beginning of May. I only played limited in April. 30 days notice of new decks that would be competitive coming in Mid-May would have been fine. But thanks for the attitude.
    • Kubiran wrote:

      I built a momentum deck last month to climb the ladder and try out constructed. I didn't play much in set 7 or 8 (hated them) so I had to buy most of the cards that were devalued by this patch. To all those saying "What difference does it make if these were announced ahead of time?", I say the difference is that I wouldn't have spent all that platinum. I can't imagine why I would ever want to spend my own money in Hex again.
      Sure, if they pre-announced it, it might have been better for you, but then what about the person who built a momentum deck a week before the pre-announcement?

      No matter when it happens someone is going to get unlucky. It is just the nature of economies, both in-game and elsewhere... when things change in price, there are people who gain and people who lose out. I bought a full momentum deck a month after the sets dropped and consequently lost money on all these cards too, but chalk it up to bad luck.