The new prebuild decks are ridiculous, half of my collection is worthless now

• Thrawn wrote:

These decks are amazing...

...And we received no advance warning. I spent $10 each on two Boltwing Phoenix less than a week ago. Would have waited for this deck, had I known. So I'm a bit salty about that. YOU could have had my money Hex, not a 3rd party!

The day after I get on my Topdeck Radio soapbox about how Hex needs to completely revisit how they handle communication... they patch in precon decks that were never announced and aren't on the patch notes.

You're only proving my point guys. I love you. These decks are a great idea. But for the love of god, COMMUNICATION. There's a million things with a project like Hex that I think would be hard as heck to do right. But communication is the EASIEST ONE.

I don't even know who to be upset with. Are these releases Dino's domain? Does someone else handle outgoing announcements? Who is making the decisions on what goes out when? This doesn't look professional. Edit - also has potential to undermine community trust, in things like the AH. Why buy Bride of the Damned now, when for all I know, there's a new deck coming out with her tomorrow? (I exaggerate, but I can see people will operating on a beliefs like that)

TL;DR
      Love the decks
      Love the concept behind why they're here.
      Hate the way this was "communicated."
      If you read other threads, you'd know they were patch by mistake

Also, giving an article changes nothing in the value. The day they would of announced it the price would of tanked.
    • I just have to jump in and say that this thread is great. Keep it up.

Yes, Hex definitely should have warned us these pre-cons were coming so one of two things could happen:
      1. Players could unload their hoarded cards onto less-informed players at the then-current prices. Because the less-informed should always end up holding the bag when cards get reprinted.
      2. Players could try and unload their hoarded cards at a lower price, but not rock bottom. Because less-informed players should help to carry the bag of hurt that happens when cards get reprinted.
      Yes, communication would have solved everything. Everyone could have sold all their Shamrocks and Phoenixes to the other players who were not going to buy them because the pre-cons were on the way. It would have been rainbows and unicorns for everyone involved.
    • Thrawn wrote:

...And we received no advance warning. I spent $10 each on two Boltwing Phoenix less than a week ago. Would have waited for this deck, had I known. So I'm a bit salty about that. YOU could have had my money Hex, not a 3rd party!

The day after I get on my Topdeck Radio soapbox about how Hex needs to completely revisit how they handle communication... they patch in precon decks that were never announced and aren't on the patch notes.

You're only proving my point guys. I love you. These decks are a great idea. But for the love of god, COMMUNICATION. There's a million things with a project like Hex that I think would be hard as heck to do right. But communication is the EASIEST ONE.
      We need a function in this forum that grants people a mega-like and gives them cosmetics for free based on these because this is exactly what I would have written. Generally speaking, I can understand the frustration of people who invested into these cards but I think that this will be good for the game as a whole. In the future, it would probably be a great idea to mention that something like that will happen and give more details so that people can prepare for it. Other companies do that. I am a bit scared that you shrinked the number of invested players by this move (though we should agree by now that collections don't maintain their value anyway) and that people will only play 2-3 different decks in the low tiers because honestly, I have seen quite a lot of genius deckbuilding in the low ranks recently and it would be a shame if these decks replaced all of this.

On a sidenote: Does the existence of these decks imply that their contents won't be banned in the near future if the meta stays as is?

All of this is, of course, only applicable if this isn't a mistake and the decks are actually supposed to be in the shop (now).
    • Shivdaddy wrote:

No matter what hex does everyone complains. Standard is too expensive, pre con decks are not good enough for new players, they just addressed both of those. More players need to be the number 1 goal. The deck needed to be shuffled, hopefully this is a step in the right direction.
      I'm actually happy about these new decks, and I may even buy one. After the first shock, I'm absolutely positively suprised, to be honest.

I still think the lack of transparency is a problem, but thinking about it... I've seen more positives in the last month than in the last two years. So even with the negatives, I think that something happening finally.
    • People like to complain about everything. Yes, an article would have been great, but this is true also:

StorrowN wrote:

I just have to jump in and say that this thread is great. Keep it up.

Yes, Hex definitely should have warned us these pre-cons were coming so one of two things could happen:
      1. Players could unload their hoarded cards onto less-informed players at the then-current prices. Because the less-informed should always end up holding the bag when cards get reprinted.
      2. Players could try and unload their hoarded cards at a lower price, but not rock bottom. Because less-informed players should help to carry the bag of hurt that happens when cards get reprinted.
      Yes, communication would have solved everything. Everyone could have sold all their Shamrocks and Phoenixes to the other players who were not going to buy them because the pre-cons were on the way. It would have been rainbows and unicorns for everyone involved.

Also, the truth is this: The minute you announce the decks, the minute those cards start to losing value. Measures like this have "losers". I'm happy they decided to take the burden on us, who have more experience in game and with HXE. A new player buying 2 cards for the same money he could buy the entire deck would be worst.

With this being said, I think it's pretty clear that Hex IS addressing the prices in game and they decided to do it straight forward with a direct intervention. Free market my *ss (Yes! I love Keynes). Good to see that new players can just buy a new deck for cheap and start competing right away. Moving forward, THIS should stay, as it sets a cap for the other decks (why would a good deck costs way more than $25?). Prices and deck quality can vary a little, but this is the right way: A good deck for a fair price.

Our collections will have real value when we have more demand (a.k.a. players). Right now what we have is some expensive cards. I'm honestly willing to sacrifice a little "value" for the chance to get more players. Heck, even Hex is willing to lose money to do that. We were asking for this kind of things.
      Twitter: @Plotynus

ZonaHex.com - Un sitio en español sobre Hex! / A spanish site about Hex.
    • Are people really that hung up on “collection value”?

I collect cards because I like to play with them. Isn’t this a game? The idea that people are so invested on what their cards are worth baffles me. Who cares if listing the items in a prebuilt pack makes the card cheaper? You already own the card!

Apparently this game is just a currency simulator to some people. Yikes.
      Coyotle are the supreme furry race. Cannon fodder need not respond.
    • Portensio wrote:

Thrawn wrote:

I don't even know who to be upset with. Are these releases Dino's domain? Does someone else handle outgoing announcements? Who is making the decisions on what goes out when? This doesn't look professional. Edit - also has potential to undermine community trust, in things like the AH. Why buy Bride of the Damned now, when for all I know, there's a new deck coming out with her tomorrow? (I exaggerate, but I can see people will operating on a beliefs like that)

TL;DR
      Love the decks
      If you read other threads, you'd know they were patch by mistake
      Also, giving an article changes nothing in the value. The day they would of announced it the price would of tanked.
      Done some poking around. Can't find where anyone said their inclusion was a mistake. Can you point me to it?

And isn't the unintended release of unannounced content an even worse look for Hex? (As apposed to they meant it, just didn't say it.) That's pretty sloppy.

You're right, the announcement would have immediately yanked value on those cards. But we'd establish that at least Hex lets us know about content before it hits the store, and it's not just "SURPRISE!!!!"
      Watch Dungeon Masters of Entrath - The HEX Gameshow! Wednesday 8pm EST
      I am ThrawnOmega on Xbox Live, Twitter, Steam, and Twitch.
      Forum Avatar by @tfa_96 on Twitter.
    • cainhu wrote:

NaanVilence wrote:

Are people really that hung up on “collection value”?
      Some people make actual money selling cards on the aftermarket.
      Also, trading valuable cards for cards you don't have is how TCG works, so losing value an issue there too.

These two things makes people a bit salty on "collection value".
      I’m not unfamiliar with the concept of trading, but thanks for the condescension.

Sounds to me like people shouldn’t get mad about the nature of a TCG, then. If they’re willing to accept the concept that card value can change, I don’t see the point in wailing in a thread because a starter deck got put out.

As someone who plays tons of card games, trading is really only a means to an end. Getting caught up in the minutiae of card value seems to be missing the point of having a fun game in the first place.

It’s not like Hex is going anywhere, lol. the starter packs are a good value for starting players and I don’t see the point in getting triggered over it.
      Coyotle are the supreme furry race. Cannon fodder need not respond.

The post was edited 1 time, last by NaanVilence ().

• Thrawn wrote:

Portensio wrote:

Thrawn wrote:

TL;DR
      Love the decks
      If you read other threads, you'd know they were patch by mistakeAlso, giving an article changes nothing in the value. The day they would of announced it the price would of tanked.
      Done some poking around. Can't find where anyone said their inclusion was a mistake. Can you point me to it?
      And isn't the unintended release of unannounced content an even worse look for Hex? (As apposed to they meant it, just didn't say it.) That's pretty sloppy.

You're right, the announcement would have immediately yanked value on those cards. But we'd establish that at least Hex lets us know about content before it hits the store, and it's not just "SURPRISE!!!!"
      Well an article is up now..
    • "I want my collections to retain value, but don't want Hex to take steps to make the game more accessible to new players!"

Welcome to TCGs. Card prices rise and tank on a whim. Announcement or no, the price change would have happened on a moment's notice anyways. People complain about the high cost of entry to this game? Setting veiled price ceilings for some cards is probably the least egregious way to go about it, short of remodeling the AH (which they should still do). Good precons have been requested for a while, so I'm glad to see actually decent decks in the store. That's something that MtG doesn't even usually do, and when they do, they make a lot of money off of it.

It does seem bizarre that there'd be no announcement about it, though, so I'm gonna hazard a guess that this was unintended, similar to those 'new constructed changes' that were accidentally mentioned in another thread. Think Hex had some announcements ready to go, but decided to roll them back a patch, and didn't quite roll everything back enough :P
      Edit: Oh, or an article was put up. That's a little messy.
      Old username: Aradon | Collector backer | Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulean Acadamy" -- Taking applications once guilds are implemented
    • The main problem arising from this way of implementing these decks is not the loss of value because, as people mentioned, the value is lost anyway as soon as this is announced. I think, however, that the value of these cards would have had more time to SLOWLY get to a lower level if an announcement had been made 2-3 weeks ago and not everyone is checking the forums and game every day, so these people just lost value right now and don't know anything about it. Players might also get scared now and sell their stuff for a lot less.

People were complaining about communication from Hex for a very long time and they had reasons to do so. Now this happens and it seems that almost no player was really prepared for this. That is by far the bigger problem because it shows once more that those who complain about your communication are actually right. Your customers have to trust you, though, and this is also something that increases the stability issues I mentioned in another thread. Good communication provides stability of the entire game because players can plan things.

Again, all of this is only my opinion if this is implemented on purpose. Otherwise, it was a mistake and should be fixed ASAP.
    • Venomspider wrote:

the value of these cards would have had more time to SLOWLY get to a lower level if an announcement had been made 2-3 weeks ago and not everyone is checking the forums and game every day, so these people just lost value right now and don't know anything about it.
      People who don't check the forums every day are much better off with a surprise release than they would be if they had announced it in the past. StorrowN's post is exactly why. Pre-announcing the deck contents 2 weeks in advance just shifts the loss from everyone to 'people who don't read the forums'. If you had a very long timetable on the announcement, maybe it makes sense, since there will be some value in owning those cards in the interim, but a 2 week pre-notice just lets all the regulars cash out of these cards at the expense of new players, which is really not what we need.
    • I can't speak for everyone else - but showing this to my group of friends who haven't played Hex in close to a year got them interested again. The ability to pick up a constructed quality deck and be able to use it to build their collections without a colossal monetary investment is a great thing.

I agree that they could have improved the communication ahead of time, but overall I think this is a great change.
    • Venomspider wrote:

Again, all of this is only my opinion if this is implemented on purpose. Otherwise, it was a mistake and should be fixed ASAP.
      And how should they "fix" it if it was indeed a mistake? The cats already out of the bag. We know the cards, and we know the prices. Damage is done.

All in all this is a net positive for Hex. Affordable, semi competitive decks for people to purchase and start grinding on is great. Lowers the cost a bit of some of the cards and makes the game as a whole more affordable and hopefully gets in some new players.
    • Silvanos wrote:

Venomspider wrote:

the value of these cards would have had more time to SLOWLY get to a lower level if an announcement had been made 2-3 weeks ago and not everyone is checking the forums and game every day, so these people just lost value right now and don't know anything about it.
      People who don't check the forums every day are much better off with a surprise release than they would be if they had announced it in the past. StorrowN's post is exactly why. Pre-announcing the deck contents 2 weeks in advance just shifts the loss from everyone to 'people who don't read the forums'. If you had a very long timetable on the announcement, maybe it makes sense, since there will be some value in owning those cards in the interim, but a 2 week pre-notice just lets all the regulars cash out of these cards at the expense of new players, which is really not what we need.
      You are talking like the card worth the same after the announcement and the actual release, but they are not. Think about rotation, which roughly works the same way -- cards drops on value drastically after a certain point. We all know when and how rotation will happen and hardly anyone complains about that. We need to know when and how these decks are going to be released the same way we need to know the information about rotation.