Evo pool Fixing

• Evo pool Fixing

So I just talked about this on snakes stream and I think it is a good idea.

Evo has always been the go to format for newer players and that has been awesome it is an incredible good starting format that is unique as well.

With Doombringer, (I know we got some fixing in the packs) however fixing (for shards) you get is random and there can be pools that are almost unplayable. That said it should not be like this especially if this should be the thing to attract new players.
      If you don't pick fixing in draft which I would set as the most advanced limited format, that is your fault, but in Evo and Sealed you are bound to what you open.

So how could we change that? Open up the general ressource pool that is offered for your deckbuilding, give people roots and ices to fill their deck with if they want/need them.
    • I was wondering why they put so much effort into fixing how draft works with this set and no work into evo. I agree it´s very hard to play, or at least it´s very hard to build a decently working deck.

I would add some tears to every evo pool and / or a set number of roots or iceshards. That would make evo a lot more enjoyable for me at least :D
    • It has already been discussed, couple of weeks since the set hit.

The best suggestion I remember right now was to remove all roots from packs* and to just add 3 of every root in your pool when you start an EVO. Whoever suggested that first, all rights of the idea to them.

*That's for EVO only, Draft is fine as is and Sealed is in-between. I don't mean to remove all roots from all packs universally.
    • Why not just replace 4-5 commons from the additional commons and uncommons in every pool with 4-5 "Root Wild Cards" (see MtGATM) that reset every time you open another pack or whenever you want?

Sure, limiting this to "every time you open another pack" means that you are kind of stuck in your shards until you get another pack but this seems like a good idea to me.

I also agree with cainhu in that 3 of every root makes it too easy.

Sealed pools are actually okay imo. My fixing in the last clash, for instance, made me go for Wild as 3rd shard instead of Sapphire but I didn't consider this a big downside.
    • I think it is a bad idea to make roots as readily available as some seem to suggest as it would make every deck a 5 color prismatic goodstuff, which would put very high emphasis on what bombs you open instead. Yes, it sucks when you get a deck you just know you will go 0-3 with, but that is how sealed deck is by design and I think it is impossible to remove that aspect of it without severely hurting the core of the format.

The wildcard roots was a decent suggestion I admit, but I am still a little skeptical as I know that at least 3 colors is possible in limited with little to no shard fixing and being guaranteed 4 duals in your pool removes all need to think about how to build your shards and would make the 2 of the same shard cards way too good as those are balanced by how difficult it is in this format to get two of one shard consistently.
    • The current problem of evo seems to be (I don't play the mode too often) that your success depends too much on the fixing AND the bombs you open. In the end, a format with only 2 rares/legs per pool is less balanced because people can only open very few top bombs and the variance is very high in general. So, adding some fixing tools (and roots seem to be the best ones by far) just removes one part of the rng issue. In the end, your bombs will have an impact on the outcomes of your runs regardless of whether you add fixing or not. 5 color good stuff is the best example to show this because you can play it in both versions of evo.

4-5 roots was a suggestion. I am less of a fixing addict, so I would be fine with only 3. After all, I had successful draft runs with 0 fixing tools but I am aware that this is pure luck. It doesn't remove your thinking of how to build your shards as you say since you can (and probably should) add different roots for your 3 colors or just splash a 3rd/4th color with them if that is worth the inconsistency. Cards with 2 of the same shards would still be difficult to play, not to mention that there aren't too many commons and uncommons in set 9 that meet this condition and have an impact. I can't tell you how many times I missed the second wild shard for several turns with Temper in hand and lost as a consequence despite having 4-6 fixing cards in my deck.
    • Venomspider wrote:

The current problem of evo seems to be (I don't play the mode too often) that your success depends too much on the fixing AND the bombs you open. In the end, a format with only 2 rares/legs per pool is less balanced because people can only open very few top bombs and the variance is very high in general. So, adding some fixing tools (and roots seem to be the best ones by far) just removes one part of the rng issue. In the end, your bombs will have an impact on the outcomes of your runs regardless of whether you add fixing or not. 5 color good stuff is the best example to show this because you can play it in both versions of evo.

4-5 roots was a suggestion. I am less of a fixing addict, so I would be fine with only 3. After all, I had successful draft runs with 0 fixing tools but I am aware that this is pure luck. It doesn't remove your thinking of how to build your shards as you say since you can (and probably should) add different roots for your 3 colors or just splash a 3rd/4th color with them if that is worth the inconsistency. Cards with 2 of the same shards would still be difficult to play, not to mention that there aren't too many commons and uncommons in set 9 that meet this condition and have an impact. I can't tell you how many times I missed the second wild shard for several turns with Temper in hand and lost as a consequence despite having 4-6 fixing cards in my deck.
      The importance of rares and fixing are there, but are actually overly exaggrated a lot of the time. Very rarely is it the rare bombs that affect the outcome of a game in all honesty and it is more about the general card quality of your deck rather than how good that one card is.

Which is why I said that extreme shardfixing would make it more reliant on how good bombs one opens as the card quality in the deck will solely be reliant on what good cards are opened (not only rares and legendaries).

Most of the time though, limited games are decided on who builds the best deck with the tools available with them and their knowledge of the format, and how they play, rather than what bombs they opens.

But yes, due to the multishard theme of this set there are far more auto 0-3 pools and auto 5-x pools than usual, that I can’t deny, even though those are still a small portion. It is, however, not as bad as some claims it to be.
    • I agree with everything you said. Maybe I focused too much on the rare/leg part. What I meant was that having these additional roots enables several potential decks that would otherwise not be optimal because the risk of screwing is too high. So you are more likely to build something that is actually good enough / has enough bombs/removal (regardless of their rarity) if you have more roots and people with more fixing in their pool can't just beat you all the time because you are screwed. It can still happen but it happens less frequently.

As I mentioned, it SEEMS that fixing is a problem in evo. I can't really say whether this is true or not because I played like 1 or 2 with set 9. From my experience with sealed and draft, though, I can say that decisions on which deck to play / what to draft are often influenced by fixing issues and evo has such a low card pool that this is probably more of a problem. And I say that even though I am not the type of player who overvalues fixing. I usually prefer card quality, maybe even too much.