Poll: Given the many recent new additions/changes to Hex in the last weeks (Merry Melee modes, Cosmic Coins/Siege Sacks, Ladder changes), is your future outlook on Hex positive?

  • Galliard wrote:

    Where's the option for those of us who think that these new additions are little better than cash grabs that make it obvious that Hex is struggling financially?

    I've personally predicted that there's some really, really bad news on the horizon. We may get one or two more sets and then I expect a period of maintenance, followed by server shutdown.
    We'll get one more set and then Hex will "refocus on trying to polish the game and fix core issues" or something similarly phrased where the next set will be heavily delayed and eventually never come out.
  • Surprised, people agreed with me awhile ago I think in Set 5 (Remember when VK's sold for 25$?) when the whole PVE drop thing was announced people called me a mad man. Hex is usually a company to their word and when they said nothing major for a year or two for PVE. I think I called so many things at this point... I constantly said

    Whiteyzz -> DONT PUT IT ON STEAM, STEAM HATES PAY TO WIN GAMES AND THIS IS PAY TO WIN. THIS GAME LACKS ANY MEANWHILE WAY FOR F2P USERS TO GET PLATINUM AND IS REALLY CONFUSING AND THE AH HOUSE IS SHIT!
    Person -> Hah you're crazy this will make it grow whiteyzz, new players will just ask to learn the complicated mail system.
    Hex -> Mostly Negative/mixed reviews, 60 steam users playing it.

    Whiteyzz -> PVE is the life blood of the game and the only real reason why it was funded
    Person -> Visions change and i gut muh pvp game and muh card values to sell
    Hex -> Can't talk to the community anymore, negative posts now, card value is down due to lack of players, card value might go to 0$ if the game shuts down.

    But here is why a digital pay 2 win TCG wont work.


    I buy my magic cards at a store, MTG goes out of business, cards still in my hand they still have value.

    I buy my hex cards at a store, HexEnt goes out of business, the liquidator snaps his fingers and suddenly the cards in my hand they're not feeling so good anymore and as they disintegrate I get a reminder of no refund for those cards, and I can't ever play with them again.

    I could see it working like Wizards101 with being pay 2 play, but buy to win wont work without the presence of magic the gathering and wizard of coast or Nintendo attached to your name.


    This game is damned if they do, damned if they don't. Make the game not pay to win, all the people who threw cash will go MUH VALUE, because they want to sell their cards and if they made a profit and this game goes down i doubt they could give a fuck. They will leave even though their cards will have more value then 0$. I keep coming back to see good news but I just get reminded on why to never to support Hex again to quote someone...

    "Their views changes"... just like my own views and many other backers about deciding to do stuff to promote and buy the game.
  • Vroengard wrote:

    @Whiteyzz I have an (incomplete) list of people who pretended (and still do) everything is fine. I'm gonna have a good time on the last day.
    Sad part is they attack most the critics and negative people failing to realize we where most likely it's biggest funders, sure I made sub 10$ decks that could farm shit consistently but I owned a play set of every card even AA's. I don't spend money cause I saw it's spiral to an PVP only game and while I loved doing PVP and drafting but I think the problem is set 1-5 they lived off the whales and dreams. Once PVE became "too hard" so many of those people left and the PVP game is just a money drain and sure some mechanics are interesting to magic, but we're acting like there isn't free ways to play magic and magic isn't making new cards with interesting effects. I want to play games casually, most people want to play with their friends.

    Card games are mostly casual, most people wont make a profit. So catering to the people who care about card value just kills the fucking game so hard because profiteers care about value not community, they want a community to sell too but they blind themselves that profit matters more then community. Raiding/PVE should have been the focus but with the difficulties they expressed to making the PVE they made while we have smaller developers without the starting capital like Endnight Games Ltd a start up company make the forest which has a well made unity VR and no people fucking whaling the game, while 2.5 million dollars with Hex and they managed to code a Unity nightmare it seems (most likely to push the game out the door ASAP). So many of the shit I criticized left unchanged now people are bitching about now, I left early set 5 and sold out.

    IMO I can see a fully f2p trading card game existing especially with a PVE aspect

    1. Deck boards, remove the PVE oh this arena gives this effect, it has no purpose you could just change it too this fight has this effect or just give ai deckboards priotiy and make bosses with really cool deckboards which you can buy.

    2. Pre-Built decks with a mercenary, offer these decks but you can't customize them they're a set in stone deck so you can't move the cards around but you have access to mercenaries. If people didn't want to grind but lacking the power offer these for 20$ pre-equiped. Then we could have a monthly competitions to build people these decks and the most liked deck gets put in there and could be given maybe a code or two to give out to others and like most people who would do this maybe they would be twitch streamers giving it out, or getting their friends now to try the game. Literally you would have the consumer base making products for you and promoting it.

    3. A full player model that we could've customized with gear which we could pay for

    4. Make full art pay only or a REALLY rare drop. Make it commons are ten cents each, uncommons twenty five, rare fifty, and legendaries 1$ for alternative arts just double it.

    5. Make Alternative arts something you unlock only from tournaments or cash only

    6. Change VIP to a system to speed up the process and offer unique features like gifting decks during raids/co-op dungeons

    7. Easier AH trade of gold <-> platinum.

    8. After AH trade of gold, give gold more value when i thought of PVE i was thinking Shandalar MTG game where you went to town and could buy cards. I suggested being able to get Phantom packs, which are PVE only versions of cards which are signified with dark black hazy border. Make them only usable in wildwest PVP and PVE The card pool for PVE is still too low and someone who makes a basic vennen ranger farming deck for 10$ prob could get all the PVE drops outside of the race/faction ones. Gold has very little value and no one really wants other then the people mass buying packs which is slowly dwindling making it's value go down further.
  • Unfortunately, I am not anticipating a positive outcome for the game either, purely based on the waiting times I am experiencing in ques and the numerical evidence on the server activity provided at hexpvptools:

    hexpvptools.net/server_activity

    I have been playing since set 2 and I have never experienced wait times like this or the low level of player activity we do now. It has been low for over a year now and seems to be getting worse despite the changes being made.

    To me, the game seems to have gone through the following stages:

    Early stages: Development, hype, hope for the future, positive experiences, game improvements and bug fixes ongoing supporting expectations that the game was going to continue getting better and better with more new and great features, a stable economy and robust player base.

    Middle stages: Bugs mostly ironed out, player base continuing to expand, new platforms supported, continued hype, a competitive stage with commentary, streamers and a solid community.

    Late/most recent stages: Old bugs that were gone are reappearing, more bugs are occurring and not being addressed, destabilizing economy, AH now so broken it is nearly unusable for people with a large collection, reduction in population and server activity, significantly reduced number of streamers, little to no competitive scene any more (top 100 for CCS not even full after 1&1/2 months)

    When the game was in the early and middle stages it felt to me that the developers were focusing on fixing bugs along with new content based on the kick starter plans. This sent a signal to me that the developers were interested in a long life for the game and a polished experience for players which gave me confidence to invest money and support the game.

    For some reason, the priorities seem to have shifted in this late stage and there no longer seems to be a focus on fixing bugs or some of the critical problems with the game. Content creation seems to have drifted completely from the features touted in the kickstarter too. In my opinion, this is the primary cause for the reduced numbers of players, lack of streaming and loss of competitive players that we are experiencing. I can't help but think that if this doesn't change, the outlook for HEX is poor. I hope I am wrong, but the trends on number of players can't be disputed and are a worrying sign.

    I share the view that for some reason the developers are providing new features without fixing some of the core problems with the game and that if this continues it will be catastrophic. Its like tinting the windows to your car and adding spoilers when the car doesn't have any oil in it, it's unsustainable.

    I make this post in the hope that the developers read the criticism and take it on board. The numbers speak for themselves and if something isn't done, we wont be talking about this for much longer.
  • Jikky wrote:

    Early stages: Development, hype, hope for the future, positive experiences, game improvements and bug fixes ongoing supporting expectations that the game was going to continue getting better and better with more new and great features, a stable economy and robust player base.

    Middle stages: Bugs mostly ironed out, player base continuing to expand, new platforms supported, continued hype, a competitive stage with commentary, streamers and a solid community.

    Late/most recent stages: Old bugs that were gone are reappearing, more bugs are occurring and not being addressed, destabilizing economy, AH now so broken it is nearly unusable for people with a large collection, reduction in population and server activity, significantly reduced number of streamers, little to no competitive scene any more (top 100 for CCS not even full after 1&1/2 months)

    When the game was in the early and middle stages it felt to me that the developers were focusing on fixing bugs along with new content based on the kick starter plans. This sent a signal to me that the developers were interested in a long life for the game and a polished experience for players which gave me confidence to invest money and support the game.

    For some reason, the priorities seem to have shifted in this late stage and there no longer seems to be a focus on fixing bugs or some of the critical problems with the game. Content creation seems to have drifted completely from the features touted in the kickstarter too. In my opinion, this is the primary cause for the reduced numbers of players, lack of streaming and loss of competitive players that we are experiencing. I can't help but think that if this doesn't change, the outlook for HEX is poor. I hope I am wrong, but the trends on number of players can't be disputed and are a worrying sign.
    I don't know how up-to-date you are and how close you've been monitoring the development of the game (based solely on your forum activity, which isn't really a great indicator).

    There were just 3 mistakes that led to the place we are. Most unfortunate part is, players cautioned the HXE about those (for the 2 of them at least, the third one was served as a done deal without the community knowing anything beforehand)

    1. Steam release at that specific point in time and that specific description and economic model.

    2. Abandonment of PvE

    3. PS4 port

    1 and 2 could have been avoided if HXE listened to the community. For 3 we had no prior knowledge and could only shake our heads in confusion.

    At least I hope we'll get a nice big post from someone on the last day, saying why the above (among others) were done that way, with reveal of inside information that won't matter anymore. At least if they present it to us in a convincing "there was no other way" scenario, we'll stop blaming the devs and blame it all to luck.
  • Vroengard wrote:

    3. PS4 port
    The PS4 port wasn't a mistake itself. They were doing work to prepare for a tablet version and had the opportunity to release it on another platform and generate a new revenue stream.

    Excluding PvE from it, which then led to the justification of other pve decisions, and the division of the game into two forms which both had to be catered to.... that was a mistake. But porting to PS4 wasn't a mistake itself.
    Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

    Also... I'm terrible at this game.
  • It was a mistake because it was the wrong thing to spend time and resources on, that should have been spent making the game interface not suck and be more appealing to new players, and to actually market the game.

    It's not a mistake to HAVE tablet / console support, it was a mistake to do it then instead of more important things.
    --ossuary

    "Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
    - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well
  • Eraia wrote:

    The PS4 port wasn't a mistake itself. They were doing work to prepare for a tablet version and had the opportunity to release it on another platform and generate a new revenue stream.
    I disagree. Sure, it might overlap with tablet version in some places. But anything apart from that it was time and resources that would've been better spent elsewhere in my opinion.
    Moreover, it's not only about the workhours lost. It's the port itself (the result). It's a P2W game, since you can't farm yourself, with half the content of the original, a different title for some fucking reason, no trading, no chat.
  • Ossuary wrote:

    It was a mistake because it was the wrong thing to spend time and resources on, that should have been spent making the game interface not suck and be more appealing to new players, and to actually market the game.

    It's not a mistake to HAVE tablet / console support, it was a mistake to do it then instead of more important things.
    I would agree that it was a misprioritization.


    Vroengard wrote:

    It's a P2W game, since you can't farm yourself, with half the content of the original, a different title for some fucking reason, no trading, no chat.
    As I said, I agree that releasing an incomplete version of the game AS a port was a mistake.
    Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

    Also... I'm terrible at this game.
  • Eraia wrote:

    Vroengard wrote:

    3. PS4 port
    The PS4 port wasn't a mistake itself. They were doing work to prepare for a tablet version and had the opportunity to release it on another platform and generate a new revenue stream.
    Excluding PvE from it, which then led to the justification of other pve decisions, and the division of the game into two forms which both had to be catered to.... that was a mistake. But porting to PS4 wasn't a mistake itself.
    hex didnt port to ps4 because it was on the way while developing a tablet version. They ported to ps4 because Sony gave them money. Most of the "wtf" moments in hex are money moments that players dont understand because they cant see hex finances.
  • NeroJinous wrote:

    hex didnt port to ps4 because it was on the way while developing a tablet version. They ported to ps4 because Sony gave them money. Most of the "wtf" moments in hex are money moments that players dont understand because they cant see hex finances.
    Then they blatantly lied to us on multiple occasions. Which is probably a worse sign honestly.
    Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

    Also... I'm terrible at this game.
  • Eraia wrote:

    NeroJinous wrote:

    hex didnt port to ps4 because it was on the way while developing a tablet version. They ported to ps4 because Sony gave them money. Most of the "wtf" moments in hex are money moments that players dont understand because they cant see hex finances.
    Then they blatantly lied to us on multiple occasions. Which is probably a worse sign honestly.
    cant really get mad at them for decisions like that. 5 years of players buying plat + kickstarter hasn't even covered one year of hex's cost. I think players really dont understand how small a drop in the bucket money from the playerbase really is.
  • Im gonna make a mistake here and post in the forum. Rip MM 2018.

    This is directed at the negative posts about the state of the game in this thread.

    The way i see it is these threads are pointless. If you dont feel hex ent is doing the job well stop investing your resources (time + money) in them. Your only hurting yourself doing this. Even if your not spending time and money playin the game, making these posts is still waisting your time which just makes you less happy with the state of things resulting in self induced grief.

    Im gonna quote jeff here "stop viewing tcgs as an investment and start viewing them as a game for fun"

    If you would like to be productive with your time and everyone else's that read this, you could try posting some constructive criticism in a polite matter. Than give hex time to review and make the changes. Thingd take time.

    Its also not surprising hex stopped talking to us. Why would you as a dev want to interact with a community that hates on your work, doesnt give you time and doesnt pat you on the back when you get it right.

    Over all im happy with the state of the game. I have my opinions about how hex is doing in some areas but i do truly feel they are still doing a good the im enjoying the game more the enough to be worth my time and money

    P.S. mistakes were made.

    The post was edited 1 time, last by mustachemagic ().

  • mustachemagic wrote:

    Im gonna make a mistake here and post in the forum. Rip MM 2018.

    This is directed at the negative posts about the state of the game in this thread.

    The way i see it is these threads are pointless. If you dont feel hex ent is doing the job well stop investing your resources (time + money) in them. Your only hurting yourself doing this. Even if your not spending time and money playin the game, making these posts is still waisting your time which just makes you less happy with the state of things resulting in self induced grief.

    Im gonna quote jeff here "stop viewing tcgs as an investment and start viewing them as a game for fun"

    If you would like to be productive with your time and everyone else's that read this, you could try posting some constructive criticism in a polite matter. Than give hex time to review and make the changes. Thingd take time.

    Its also not surprising hex stopped talking to us. Why would you as a dev want to interact with a community that hates on your work, doesnt give you time and doesnt pat you on the back when you get it right.

    Over all im happy with the state of the game. I have my opinions about how hex is doing in some areas but i do truly feel they are still doing a good the im enjoying the game more the enough to be worth my time and money

    P.S. mistakes were made.
    I want the game to succeed, the choices they are making is the opposite of success. You know hoogland wants a low price ceiling for rares and legendaries right? That would be a drastic change to the current state and honestly may be a good thing.

    Hex is catering to the hardcore competitve mind set and is FAILING. People have posted constructive critisim for years and little has changed. We are not the enemy here. The state of the game is horrible and it is sad you think otherwise.
  • Pandaemonium wrote:

    mustachemagic wrote:

    Im gonna make a mistake here and post in the forum. Rip MM 2018.

    This is directed at the negative posts about the state of the game in this thread.

    The way i see it is these threads are pointless. If you dont feel hex ent is doing the job well stop investing your resources (time + money) in them. Your only hurting yourself doing this. Even if your not spending time and money playin the game, making these posts is still waisting your time which just makes you less happy with the state of things resulting in self induced grief.

    Im gonna quote jeff here "stop viewing tcgs as an investment and start viewing them as a game for fun"

    If you would like to be productive with your time and everyone else's that read this, you could try posting some constructive criticism in a polite matter. Than give hex time to review and make the changes. Thingd take time.

    Its also not surprising hex stopped talking to us. Why would you as a dev want to interact with a community that hates on your work, doesnt give you time and doesnt pat you on the back when you get it right.

    Over all im happy with the state of the game. I have my opinions about how hex is doing in some areas but i do truly feel they are still doing a good the im enjoying the game more the enough to be worth my time and money

    P.S. mistakes were made.
    I want the game to succeed, the choices they are making is the opposite of success. You know hoogland want low price ceiling for rares and legendaries right? That would be a drastic change to the current state and honestly may be a good thing.
    Hex is catering to the hardcor competitve mind set and is FAILING. People have posted constructive critisim for years and little has changed. We are not the enemy here. The state of the game is horrible and it is sad you think otherwise.
    I think yall might be misunderstanding each other. MM says the gameplay is great, which from a PvP prospective it 100% is. Everyone here is here cause they love hex. MM's logic is if you enjoy the gameplay(which he does) he and anyone who enjoys it should just play instead of arguing over the other stuff because at the end of the day we are here to have fun. There is nothing wrong with that stance. He even acknowledged hex makes mistakes and stuff isnt perfect, but he is still enjoying the game, and in the end that is all that matters.
  • Nero is correct thats a more clear view on where i stand.

    The other point i was trying to make was i feel these threads are pointless since they can never remain constructive and they always get flood by pointless posts of negativity.

    Im all for good constructive real conversations about the game but our community currently cant do that and therefore i feel creating conversation about these topics are pointless.