Friday Update - Minty Fresh

• Friday Update - Minty Fresh

Welcome to a round up of the week. We have our Cosmic Coin reveal, changes to the Battlegrounds, a Merry Melee mode teaser, and more:

hextcg.com/friday-update-minty-fresh/

HEXSirSleepy wrote:

We noticed that there was a section of the ladder update article that was unclear. Here is some additional info clarifying the changes to ‘bonus stars’ on the ladder:

With the next patch, we will be removing the bonus star awarded for having a flawless match (winning both games, 2-0). This bonus encouraged players to use fast aggressive/combo decks that don’t rely on their reserves in the same way that more controlling decks might, so we’ve eliminated this unnecessary component of the system.

The bonus star earned for winning consecutive ladder matches will remain in place. This streak bonus helps good players with strong decks to ascend more quickly from the bottom ranks of the ladder, creating more balanced matches for everyone. It also lines up with the bonus streak that awards Cosmic players additional Cosmic Coins for winning consecutive matches, so it makes the entire system easier to understand.
    • Need to play with the ladder changes to get an idea of how they feel but they do seem good.

But there's one big thing that matters in this article to me:

Friday Update - Minty Fresh wrote:

With the introduction of our New Constructed Gauntlet, we are also making some changes to the ladder itself. Our goal here is to create a healthier ladder experience for everyone.

This is the only line that mentions this. Is it intended? Do you mean it? Why is it not mentioned anywhere else? If it is happening why did it take you over 23 months to come to your senses? I won't play it again because I've been out of constructed for too long and it would take way too much investment on my part to get into it again but bringing back something that never should have gone is a huge step in the right direction.

Edit:

Dinotropia wrote:

That was a typo. We have nothing to announce regarding that feature at this time.
      And now I feel nothing again
    • The ladder change seems good. Starting at platinum for a cosmic player, should have to win 20 matches to get to cosmic, which is a similar amount of matches (if not less) than now when you start at silver. I don't know how it will impact the matchmaking moving forward, guess will have to see it working.

The new merry melee mode seems interesting also, as there're some FRA decks that are actually good and interesting. I like the idea of having to play without knowledge of what you have, what your opponent have, etc. Cant' wait to play with it :D (But just in case, drop us Corinth in the challenge tab ;))

Overall, the past 2 weeks updates (including merry melee) are a step in the right direction for PvP and I'm happy to see the game supporting more casual formats and also, at the same time, boosting their competitive environment. I'm sure there're a lot of comments we can make regarding how we would implement some things over others, but the direction you're taking is the right one. Great job, HXE!

PS: No comment on the typo? :P
      Twitter: @Plotynus
    • i am interested if lack of streak bonus also applies to limited ladder. Hope it does not. Limited isn't paired by rank anyway and its so much more random .. IN constructed you just pick good deck and you steamroll anything up to platinum, even as no constructed player i almost never lose in silver-gold ranks.. Limited different story its all random especially in evo
    • Removing bonus win streak???? Not a fan of this. This change forces so much more games to be played for limited ladder. Especially with such high rng formats, getting to cosmic in limited will be extremely hard. Also, making it this harder to get to cosmic may hurt newer players because it makes it harder for them to get the ladder rewards which help, but may make matching easier. I do not like that change.
    • Gregangel wrote:

Metronomy wrote:

I think they are referring to the merry melee mode with this line.

I mean....it would be the best news since months regarding Hex if they actually reinstated constructed gauntlet.
      Nah, Constructed gauntlet will return soon, they just don't want to talk about it yet.
      But nice to know in advance ;)
      Yeah..the fact that Dino said it was a typo makes me believe that as well.

Thats great. If that does happen then I can also look much more brighter at cosmic coins.
      It is a nice bonus and in itself certainly a positive. It cant be a replacement for an on-demand constructed gauntlet mode though.
      So if that comes back that issue is a non-issue.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Metronomy ().

• Airtron wrote:

Removing bonus win streak???? Not a fan of this. This change forces so much more games to be played for limited ladder. Especially with such high rng formats, getting to cosmic in limited will be extremely hard. Also, making it this harder to get to cosmic may hurt newer players because it makes it harder for them to get the ladder rewards which help, but may make matching easier. I do not like that change.
      But you will not drop down to silver again, but start at platinum when you reached cosmic before. So the way is still decreased by a lot for good players.
    • Good changes to the ladder. Any change that diminishes feel bad moments for new players getting matched up vs cosmic players is a good thing in my book.

Also, Cosmic Coin rewards are sweet enough that not only more Cosmic players will keep playing after reaching the rank but also more non-cosmic players will be attempting to reach Cosmic (increasing the Bronze-Platinum playerbase) - both of which will contribute to diminishing cosmic vs non-cosmic matchings.
    • Airtron wrote:

Removing bonus win streak???? Not a fan of this. This change forces so much more games to be played for limited ladder. Especially with such high rng formats, getting to cosmic in limited will be extremely hard. Also, making it this harder to get to cosmic may hurt newer players because it makes it harder for them to get the ladder rewards which help, but may make matching easier. I do not like that change.
      It's harder to get to Cosmic the first time, but this change is paired with a change to how much you drop on the ladder when a season ends. Climbing back up to Cosmic from Platinum is easier than all the way from Silver, even without the winstreak bonus.
    • Steric wrote:

Airtron wrote:

It's harder to get to Cosmic the first time, but this change is paired with a change to how much you drop on the ladder when a season ends. Climbing back up to Cosmic from Platinum is easier than all the way from Silver, even without the winstreak bonus.
      Im not 100% sure about that. The winstreak star is HUGE for climbing, you can get up to 3 stars currently by going on a winstreak. We now have to gain 25 stars in cosmic, down from 48 from 3 from silver 1 + 20 from gold. It is a little over half cut, but a little under half or so of win stars I would say are lost.