Let's discuss the glaring issue with Cosmic Coins and Siege Sacks.

• Let's discuss the glaring issue with Cosmic Coins and Siege Sacks.

From what I understand, the only things exclusively non-tradable from either mode will be coin and battleboard cosmetics, so for the most part, this discussion involves only low-key frustration.
      Edit:"Because of this, we’ve decided to make both the packs for Siege as well as the contents of these packs non-tradable. As these are non-tradable"
      Seriously, it's almost impressive how HexEnt keeps making decisions that just narrowly miss being great, and instead manage to turn into outright trainwrecks.

Nevertheless, regardless of what is gated to actual play rewards, the fact that the devs are introducing special rewards to two parts of the game that we've been asking for basic revamps on for years/since introduction is..
      Look, let's be straightforward, it's a dick move. It might be a dick move done with good intentions, but it's still rubbing our faces in the fact that the devs keep ignoring nearly every community request for basic foundational updates, and have done so for years now.

PvP needs properly scaling matchmaking and basic play rewards (ie, a small amount of gold on win and even smaller on loss), or all the rewards in the world aren't going to keep players from giving up on the mode in frustration, as they have in droves for years. (Likewise, if you defeat a cosmic player while not in cosmic yourself, that should still count as a Cosmic win for coins [and honestly, you should get a hugely boosted return, considering the imbalance involved]. It's utterly absurd that it doesn't seem like that's currently the case.)
      (Side note, change Sealed into a gold-format Limited already, and add in proper Immortal rewards. This new addition only further emphasizes the disregard given to Immortal play.)

Siege needs to stop disregarding the lessons learned by every one of the dozens of notable online CCGs with nearly identical modes, and add in low-key daily currency gain and free play, along with clear difficulty sorting. Also, perhaps consider low-reward, baseline non-player encounters to establish both consistency and difficulty reference markers.
      Further, as per those other games, offer it in single-match encounters (or offer a lower-reward variation done to such). Not all of us have the time or inclination to do single-life 3-match no-loss-reward games, and especially not to the frequency the new rewards will require. We definitely don't want to gamble our resource away on something that demanding.
      I get that the devs think it's a cool setup, but Hex's devs would do a lot better if they'd add a bit of "what would our players think is cool, and is that true for all players" into their "woot, let's explore our creativity without regard to anything else" design approach. Even for those of us as dedicated to Hex as the devs, we can't necessarily commit as much consecutive gameplay time as the devs seem to think we should be able to. And yeah, the dev creativity is great..

..but come on, we really need the AH, the mail, the two dozen notable game bugs, pvp matchmaking, campaign pointers, and a half dozen other things attended to.
      Honestly, is it more of a stress to dedicate an occasional bit of development time to those things- things that have repeatedly, emphatically been attributed to low player retention and veteran player frustration & dissatisfaction- or to keep dealing with the fallout of treating the playerbase with disregard?

Hex is a game with amazing creativity and fun potential, but the lack of attention to player feedback and lack of willingness to work on foundations (not to mention the oft-lacking, and sometimes extremely rude team communication) has always been a holdback for the game.
      So, with years of that- and quite a few threads full of complaints on such matters- to add *anything* that feels like it rubs our noses in the lack of response to such matters..
      I repeat: It's a dick move, regardless of any surrounding considerations.

That said, the rewards look great [Though Spark of Fury really looks more like a legendary than a rare :P]. As always, creativity and conceptual appeal is not something Hex has any problems with.
      Just please, consider finally taking some time to work on the other elements of the game, so we players can finally all start cheering the game on wholeheartedly, instead of us having to keep griping into the wind about how the devs only care about what they want to do, without giving consideration toward how the game experience actually is for players.

TL;DR: Start fixing stuff before you start rewarding us further for putting up with broken stuff, because that only emphasizes that broken stuff is all we'll have to look forward to in the future, and that's eventually going to push even us diehards out of the game, no matter how fun certain game elements are.

The post was edited 4 times, last by Azuchi ().

• Siege rewards arenon-tradeable, as they should be, because some players have multiple accounts and can do the following: Create three shards-only defence decks - Challenge it with another account - Concede as attacker - Repeat 2 and 3 a few times - Then challenge and actually beat the Keep. This can be done both incredibly fast and incredibly easily.

I have little idea of your "broken matchmaking" rant. I trust that you are a frequent Cosmic Constructed player and you have a good idea of what you're talking about. However, we do know that there is a behind-the-scenes ELO rating because the devs have confirmed it when talking about gaining/losing ranks playing Constructed. If there are glaring discrepancies between opponents, it should be due to the system not finding an appropriate match fast enough. Thus, an update like this, which encourages more activity, will inevitably help in that area.

Cosmic Coins were something that was discussed about a year or so ago too. It's not that they cut the line or anything.

Rewards for losing in a competitive game like Hex is something that should not be done, in my opinion. It will completely warp the essence of the game and promote unwanted attitude. "Participation prizes" of society are already problematic, there is a big amount of bibliography and articles about how much harm it does to people.

Why do you think that Sealed entry should be in Gold, by the way? With BankerBot around, it only takes minimal effort to change Gold to Platinum. Also, 1,300 plat looksbetter on paper compared to 325,000. It's a psycholohgical (irrational) bad feeling, despite the mind catching up with the fact that the value of those two numbers is the same. Also, having to change the entry with every Gold:Platinum rate would be retarded.

I agree that there's a bunch of things that still need to be worked, at least.
    • Vroengard wrote:

Siege rewards arenon-tradeable, as they should be, because some players have multiple accounts and can do the following: Create three shards-only defence decks - Challenge it with another account - Concede as attacker - Repeat 2 and 3 a few times - Then challenge and actually beat the Keep. This can be done both incredibly fast and incredibly easily.
      Doesn't stop 2 friends from this kind of exchanges either. How do you safeguard that then? Every action you can take over a multiple accounts, you can take over "2 friends" or "1 man and his mirror images".
    • Goliathus wrote:

Vroengard wrote:

Siege rewards arenon-tradeable, as they should be, because some players have multiple accounts and can do the following: Create three shards-only defence decks - Challenge it with another account - Concede as attacker - Repeat 2 and 3 a few times - Then challenge and actually beat the Keep. This can be done both incredibly fast and incredibly easily.
      Doesn't stop 2 friends from this kind of exchanges either. How do you safeguard that then? Every action you can take over a multiple accounts, you can take over "2 friends" or "1 man and his mirror images".
      in constructed/limited this is safeguarded by the fact of it being the definition of wintrading. all we would need is an official statement by say @Dinotropia that wintrading in Siege is equally prohibited and against the ToS, and therefore a bannable offense.
      Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.
      • Commisioner Pravin Lal - Alpha Centauri
    • Goliathus wrote:

Vroengard wrote:

Ummm... the untradeable safeguards works for that as well so.... what's the problem you think you found?
    • Vroengard wrote:

Goliathus wrote:

Vroengard wrote:

Ummm... the untradeable safeguards works for that as well so.... what's the problem you think you found?
      the problem would be that those two friends he talks about would have all rewards within the first week.
      Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.
    • So in the middle of a forum uproar over lack of PvE/non-competitive content and upgrades/releases of features that are long, looooong overdue, they decide to focus their time instead on a bunch of neat-o cosmetic rewards, some new gameplay stuff, some new mercs...

And then lock all of that behind the fucking competitive gamemodes again.

I'm pretty sure at this point that HXE is just looking to quit but are too cowardly to just tell players "Fuck you, we're bagging the money and running". It's the only explanation for why they're making decisions that are overtly dumber than something that the Overwatch devteam could come up with.
    • SlayerStronghold wrote:

Vroengard wrote:

Goliathus wrote:

Vroengard wrote:

the problem would be that those two friends he talks about would have all rewards within the first week.
      And it wouln't affect ANYONE other than themselves.
    • Vroengard wrote:

SlayerStronghold wrote:

Vroengard wrote:

Goliathus wrote:

Vroengard wrote:

Dont know, i still prefer having things tradable. If people want to spend money to have something another player has farmed, why stopping them? Apart from battleboard and sleeve, nearly everything is tradable
    • Vroengard wrote:

SlayerStronghold wrote:

Vroengard wrote:

Goliathus wrote:

Vroengard wrote:

it would affect all Achievers (see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartle_taxonomy_of_player_types )

because their reward would be worthless if everybody could get them.

The only reason it can't be made tradable is so it would be an achievement for the player.

the "Look at the shiny thing I got!" mentality is at play here.
    • Vroengard wrote:

@Firellius The CC are mostly fine.

The SS on the other hand... poor implementation (you have to lose to get them) for an awful mode. So I agree.

Not that I think HXE has made enough profit from this game to even make what you imply worth it.
      Well they sure as hell aren't going to make that money if they don't get their act together. So either they're overtaking Overwatch in the race to the 'worst gamedev team ever' trophy through sheer incompetence, or they're trying to get out.
    • What SlayerStronghold said. Also, siege reward then become a wintrade heaven so everyone gets those rewards fairly easily as long as they are willing to put in the time. This makes these rewards pointless. If Hex wants to ban them, okay sure, now have fun devoting extra time to investigate on these nonsense, time that could be used to do other things.

Either way, it doesn't sound like it would increase game time spent on Siege. At best, it would just be a farming ground for stuffs, kind of like what PVE is at this point.
    • Firellius wrote:

Vroengard wrote:

The SS on the other hand... poor implementation (you have to lose to get them) for an awful mode. So I agree.

Not that I think HXE has made enough profit from this game to even make what you imply worth it.
      Well they sure as hell aren't going to make that money if they don't get their act together. So either they're overtaking Overwatch in the race to the 'worst gamedev team ever' trophy through sheer incompetence, or they're trying to get out.
      well, considering how much money Overwatch team are doing, consider them bad is quite strange. Plus they are worse devs out there
    • Firellius wrote:

Vroengard wrote:

I’m always for constricted comments but your just insulting them and your comments won’t be taken seriously

It’s freaking free stuff for playing. If you find that you are unhappy with free stuff just for playing the game modes that are available then maybe it’s time for you to go play something else that fits your expectations.

I see a lot of good in this but it’s still missing the right implementation. I still find it has a lot of opportunity to be able to expand cosmic coins as a currency that can rewarded and used in other ways than cosmic and for cosmetic stuff
    • I guess much of the frustration not coming from about how additional rewards are bad, but everything else.

- siege sacks maybe additional rewards, but the mode itself is considered bad by many
      - cosmic coins won't help with the fact that apart from the top players, nobody wants to play the ladder. at least, maybe they will play more?

It was also maybe not the best use of the limited development resources. Except the art team, they are GODS.
    • Bizznach wrote:

in constructed ladder i made it in around the 560 player mark.
      seems like a lot of "nobodies' wanting to play the ladder
      i never make the limited ladder so i don't know how many "nobodies" are not interested in climbing that ladder.
      So, do you reach cosmic as an 560th player or not? BTW, as I know, there is no way to tell your ladder position.

Also, please note that english is not my primary language. What i meant : for those lots of players who werent't invested in ladder this won't help. For those who don't reach cosmic this won't help. (and by making the top players playing more, for anybody else reaching cosmic will be even harder)

Since the game continuously losing players, I think a reward structure which only meaningful the most dedicated 10% is a bad use of resources. So I hope there are other things (no, not additional currencies) are in the works.