Friday Update - Crowning Achievements

• Heart of carnage is badass, a very nice extinction with a body.

Siege golem seems pretty cool, but i think it might fold a bit too easily if the ai knows about the gained powers.

Songstring warden is sexy, a nice way to consistently ramp and cheat out troops.

Looking forward to seein the entire shop for siege sacks and cosmic crowns!
    • You guys are putting up new PVE cards on the store..why not put new pvp cards also? Why limit yourself to release new Pvp cards with card sets only. I like AA cards, but there is just too many of them and because of that they have no more value then regular ones, and to add to that, since you guys took out the orange logo, nobody sees when they are AA honeslty (the orange logo kind of sticked out )

I'm saying this without knowing what else you have in store, but its just to let you know that it would be fun to have all 4 rarity of new PVP cards as a way to spend on those coins.

Well i'll try to fit a clash in my weekend.. really like this new structure.
    • Imo, this Bash/Clash change is the best new feature Hex has had in years.

I have a 2M+ plat collection with playset of sets 1-7, but for sets 8 and 9 I've played just casually for a few weeks post-launch (though I've been playing Corinth every day since it came out.. I *loved* Momir Vig in MTGO) mostly due to the fact that as a 39 year old with a family there is zero chance I could set aside an entire weekend day for a tournament more than a few times a year. 4 hours, though? I could likely do at least one every weekend. Pretty excited! Gotta start working on finishing that 8 and 9 playset now!
    • One thing I was curious about with Corinth ending on 5/7... will there be a new mode that pops up to replace it? Or how often will there be new replacement modes for the Merry Melee? This structure of gameplay interests me, so I'm curious if this is a regular feature that will be always be available. Sorry if this was answered elsewhere - I couldn't find it. :)
    • Brynhildr wrote:

One thing I was curious about with Corinth ending on 5/7... will there be a new mode that pops up to replace it? Or how often will there be new replacement modes for the Merry Melee? This structure of gameplay interests me, so I'm curious if this is a regular feature that will be always be available. Sorry if this was answered elsewhere - I couldn't find it. :)
      Their idea is to try to have as often as possible BUT they did say on stream before the launch that it might take a while (like 4-6 weeks) to see other modes come as they make them. They wanted to release this one as it was done, they will probably release the other one once ready.

Once they have made like 5-6 modes i'm sure we will see a weekly / byweekly event.

So for now don't expect another once for 2-3 weeks at least.
    • Brynhildr wrote:

One thing I was curious about with Corinth ending on 5/7... will there be a new mode that pops up to replace it? Or how often will there be new replacement modes for the Merry Melee? This structure of gameplay interests me, so I'm curious if this is a regular feature that will be always be available. Sorry if this was answered elsewhere - I couldn't find it. :)
      Spoiler: Corinth will be up for another week if nothing pop ups to replace it.

Source: Me, common sense and data.
      Twitter: @Plotynus
    • Reg. Iconoclash ending 07/05 (@Dinotropia in these kind of articles, for the love of all that is unholy, type the month by actual name instead of numbers. In case you forgot, most countries use the dd/mm format. I, and many others, initially thought the Iconoclash would be up until the 5th of July.), it means there's only 3 days left. I think it's highly unlikely we get something new because they'd have wanted to advertise it via dev. stream and other media first to make some noise around it. It will probably be a dry spell until the next one is ready to roll out.

Reg. the preview of some of the coin/sack rewards: I'd assume Cosmic Coins will be used for the Doombringer Kha AA and Siege Sacks for the PvE cards. PvPers are offered an AA of an already existing card and PvEers (though it is still debatable that Siege is PvE) are offered new cards. Looks like HXE still expects the PvEers, who they have repeatedly ignored as of late, to be the ones to carry them a couple steps farther.

Still waiting to see the whole Coin/Sack implementation and how well-thought it is and if it's a good way to make people play more Ladder.
    • I don't like the idea of new PvP cards outside new sets, but maybe that's just me being traditional. It might be a great idea. I really don't have an strong argument against, it just feels weird to me. However, I do agree with an issue of current sets: a lot of the rares are unplayable.

I'm going to throw the worst idea ever (because it's based in what another game that has nothing to do with Hex or other card games does) and this might sound weird: What about an upgrade without modifying the actual card? I'm talking about a new card, with alternate art (and maybe a slightly change in the name to avoid confusions) that does the original idea of the card, but better.

Let's take a 30pl rare from Doombringer: Dogpile.

The new version would be something like this:

Rabid Dogpile (ok, worst name ever).
      3 cost - Quick Action

Deal 5 damage to target troop. Summon Rabid Gnoll equal to any excess of damage.

I don't know if this a playable card in a T1 deck, but it's way better than the original one. This is based around the idea that there are cards that on their own are a good idea, but for some reason it's a bad card. Maybe they feared of making them too powerful. Or they thought it would be better but in the end it failed. At the middle of a set, they release this set of 4-5 "upgraded" cards available for cosmic coins. It's also another way to shake the meta. Maybe you want one archetype or one type of deck to appear more... well, take a card that such a deck can use and make it better and see what happens.
      Twitter: @Plotynus
    • Plotynus wrote:

It's not late, let us buy packs with cosmic coins ;)
      Tradeable pack with account-bound cards I think hits the sweet spot where you can reward them at a generous pace to players looking to build collections but veterans can still benefit from them by selling them and earning plat. Another option is tradeable pack with account-bound cards that for 100p can be upgraded to a normal pack -> this gives the new players a path to upgrading to TCG model eventually if they wish (eg: maybe sell a account-bound pack to earn plat to upgrade a account-bound pack) and players who prefer TCG model can continue down that path as well. Rocket League has implemented something like this for their game and I find it's quite reasonable.

Edit: Account-bound system would eventually also need a dust system for account bound cards you own over 4. Maybe fuse 4 account-bound rares/legs you own more than 4 of from a set for another account-bound pack of that set.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Bootlace ().

• ReluxTheRelux wrote:

Thoom wrote:

Food for thought: If a major draw of Cosmic Coins/Siege Sacks is going to be exclusive PVE cards, how does that affect PS4 players? Are they getting access to some PVE stuff?
      I think the PvE cards ae from the Sieges Sacks and not from the crowns.
      Presumably attackers will also earn Siege Sacks, and PS4 players can attack.

Vroengard wrote:

(@Dinotropia in these kind of articles, for the love of all that is unholy, type the month by actual name instead of numbers. In case you forgot, most countries use the dd/mm format. I, and many others, initially thought the Iconoclash would be up until the 5th of July.),
      Most countries are wrong (including America to be fair). Numbers don't work that way. Most significant digit comes first. ISO 8601, YYYY-MM-DD master race forever.
    • Plotynus wrote:

I don't like the idea of new PvP cards outside new sets, but maybe that's just me being traditional. It might be a great idea. I really don't have an strong argument against, it just feels weird to me. However, I do agree with an issue of current sets: a lot of the rares are unplayable.
      Yugioh does that, it really helps sell structure decks and also gives another way to influence the list besides nerfing a deck (for example giving support to deck with 1 or 2 key cards instead of wait for full set cycle).

I'd imagine Hex wouldn't do that because of lack of resources.

Plotynus wrote:

I'm going to throw the worst idea ever (because it's based in what another game that has nothing to do with Hex or other card games does) and this might sound weird: What about an upgrade without modifying the actual card? I'm talking about a new card, with alternate art (and maybe a slightly change in the name to avoid confusions) that does the original idea of the card, but better.

Yugioh also does that ver frequently we call them retrains. You can not only do that to make better versions of cards but it allows to redo a banned card without errating it, so that it doesn't affect formats that card might be legal in.

Thoom wrote:

Presumably attackers will also earn Siege Sacks, and PS4 players can attack.
      I'd imagine them doing the same they did with the chests.
      HEX forums resident liker.
    • ReluxTheRelux wrote:

Plotynus wrote:

I don't like the idea of new PvP cards outside new sets, but maybe that's just me being traditional. It might be a great idea. I really don't have an strong argument against, it just feels weird to me. However, I do agree with an issue of current sets: a lot of the rares are unplayable.
      Yugioh does that, it really helps sell structure decks and also gives another way to influence the list besides nerfing a deck (for example giving support to deck with 1 or 2 key cards instead of wait for full set cycle).
      I'd imagine Hex wouldn't do that because of lack of resources.
      They are making PVE cards (kismet + the new ones we see here) why would they not have the ressources for PVP?

Plotynus wrote:

Let's take a 30pl rare from Doombringer: Dogpile.

The new version would be something like this:

Rabid Dogpile (ok, worst name ever).
      3 cost - Quick Action

Deal 5 damage to target troop. Summon Rabid Gnoll equal to any excess of damage.

I don't know if this a playable card in a T1 deck, but it's way better than the original one. This is based around the idea that there are cards that on their own are a good idea, but for some reason it's a bad card. Maybe they feared of making them too powerful. Or they thought it would be better but in the end it failed. At the middle of a set, they release this set of 4-5 "upgraded" cards available for cosmic coins. It's also another way to shake the meta. Maybe you want one archetype or one type of deck to appear more... well, take a card that such a deck can use and make it better and see what happens.

I play other CCG and its a great way to stimulate 1- Activity 2- purchases 3- deck building

Either the cards are introduced into a PVE enviroment (like small campaign with 16 battles and you get cards as you progress. Cards are free but the campaing costs_

Either they have an event, a litt;le bit like how we have the Cupid and other ones 4-5x a year..

Cards could be part of the cycle that they are in for rotation purpuses.

As much as I love PVE enviromment, i think there are more things to do with PVP then PVE when it comes to new cards as the cards rotate and new possibilities comes alive.