Battle Deck Ideas

• Battle Deck Ideas

Please look at the bottom of this post for a list of Battle Deck Ideas already generated.

Hi folks,

We've all been discussing how it would be great to have pre-made decks available in-store that would be worth picking up and be competitive on the ladder. I want to crowdsource some ideas for Battle Decks that we can propose to the HxE team.

Edit: After the ninja Signature deck release, I have made some modifications to the rules.

There should be differently themed Battle Decks available in store which a new player can pick from the store and play with to reach Cosmic in the current meta, assuming that once they get proficient with it, they can average a 50% win rate.

With that end in mind, here are the rules for building the decks:

• Decks must have a 75 card list including sideboard
      • Make it as tuned/effective as possible
      • Cards and Champions must be from the 3 most recent sets - this ensures some longevity for the deck
      • While building, have a think about the current meta and try and include smart main deck and sideboard choices so that whoever picks it up is as well-prepared as they can be
      • Use the following rarity restrictions:
        • Commons and Uncommons - Any number
        • Rares - Maximum of 18 rares
        • Legendary - Maximum of 3 Legendaries
      • Please provide a thematic description of the deck and a full-art image from one of the cards as a sleeve

In addition to these, if you are also able to post an extract from Hexpvptools showing that your Battle Deck has played at least 15 matches with a 50% win rate in Gold, Plat or Cosmic tiers on the ladder, I'll throw in a 500 plat reward for your efforts.

Cheers

Current Standings:

SR Elementals - Vestris - Confirmed win rate

SR Elementals - Showsni - Confirmed win rate

RW Mad Pile - Vestris - Confirmed win rate

Khanimator - slaynslayn - Unconfirmed

BR RhiannonBurst - Airtron - Unconfirmed - A Signature Deck with a similar theme is now available in store for 2500plat

Archetypes that are already represented - If you are going to submit a deck, please avoid these

Sapphire/Ruby Tempo/Elementals

Blood/Ruby Aggro

Ruby/Wild Gnolls Aggro

The post was edited 12 times, last by Ktoo: Updated Card Pricing model Added Standings List Added Archetypes already submitted Modified rules in line with Signature deck release ().

• Sample Entry - (I'll continue refining. Just used this deck as I don't have much time)

Name - Fateweave's Vigil

Description - Budget Mono Diamond

Theme - Channel the power of Fateweave to juice up this aggro beat-down deck. With cheap, synergistic troops that put the hurt on your opponents early, in-built sustain versus other aggro and a host of removal options, this is a great all-round deck that finds you asking the questions and closing out games quickly if they can't find answers.

Deck Link

Cost 525p (You need to calculate this manually currently as tcgbrowser doesn't add reserves to the cost)

Deck List

Troops
      4x Frostspasm
      4x Orchi-Kero
      3x Risen Lancer
      3x Devoted Luminist
      4x Righteous Exorcist
      4x Vigil of Nulzann

Spells
      3x Guidance
      2x Arcing Light
      4x Winter's Grasp
      3x Subsume
      3x Protection Racket

Resources
      4x Diamond Ice
      19x Diamond Shard

Reserves
      2x Blinding Ire
      4x Disruptor Drone
      3x Emulate
      3x Blinding Light
      3x Threads of Life

Deck Sleeve

The post was edited 3 times, last by Ktoo ().

• Name: Momentous Charge

Description: Aggro Momentum

Theme: Do you like playing resources? Use your resources to power your troops with momentum to smash through your opponent's defenses! Cards like leprechaun artist and Shillelagh Bully give you lucky coins to keep the momentum going while palm of granite and verdant rift let you play even more resources in a turn to put your troops in overdrive.

Link: hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=329662

Cost: 25$ on the dot apparently. With reserves, it jumps up to ~30$ mainly because of Merry Caravans.

Deck Sleeve: I guess Pureflame Protector? AA Shillelagh Bully sleeves could be funny.
    • Now that the ladder has rolled over I am going to make a couple deck proposals. Some of them are probably going to be budget versions of current decks with some original decks mixed in. I will probably start testing them once I hit plat then post a batch here after I have tested about 4 decks.

I am going to try to keep my plat ceiling a little lower then 7k if we want a package price of around 3k plat.

I do think it would be a good idea to instead of basing the value and budget of the deck off the current market it may be a good idea to do a price per rarity.
      For example

3000p budget
      -common 0p
      -uncommon 0p
      -Rare 250p
      -legendary 500p

In this example you could have a playset of a legendary and 2 play sets of rares.
      Although this version has it's flaws as well.

Welp I will see you guys on the other side when I have some tested decks.
    • i thought the deck i played was "cheap" excluding annihilixes

but it turns out it costs 9000p plat more than it should because of resources

cost ratio:
      75% resources
      20% brilliant annihilix
      5% other cards

idk if it's possible to play at 50% win rate instead of 95% by swapping the resources, but maybe someone can try it. the only essential cards are annihilix and fractured faith:
      Display Spoiler

Champion: Grish'xal the Profane

Troops
      4x Graven Geist
      4x Naive Lackey
      4x Brilliant Annihilix [Major Ruby of Twinstrike] [Minor Blood Orb of Ghouls]
      4x Nefarious Corruptor [Major Diamond of Battalion]
      4x Rimeclaw

Spells
      4x Cheap Shot
      4x Haunting Cry
      4x Soul Severance
      4x Fractured Faith

Resources
      4x Blightbark Reserve
      4x Primal Prism
      4x Remnant of Hatred
      2x Shard of Conquest
      4x Wax Sacrament
      2x Well of Conquest
      4x Well of Retribution

Reserves
      4x Blinding Ire
      4x Guidance
      4x Blight Knight
      3x Zorath's Rectory
    • Something like this is what I wanted to try building towards:
      hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=330727

I don't know what I'm doing on hex tcg browser but it claims it is 6,452 plat. I don't think the reserves add much at all. I am also not good at this game so someone could probably build this idea better but it was based on cards that excited me crossed with what I've seen on streams. I am also not good at deciding resource bases. I think I stuck to the last 3 sets but am a bit confused on stuff like killblade that appears multiple times.

What I like about a deck like this: it has a clear and interesting gameplan that is more than just 'play on curve and bash face.' It teaches that there is more to the game than that. Instead it wants to burn through its deck until it can cheat a legendary into play. I also think for a new player it can be eye opening to see a card in your deck you literally can't cast (Kha) and then have to wrap your mind around the point of the deck. And a new player will feel awesome the first time they reanimate Kha.

I also like that a deck like this has some clear and obvious upgrades. Play with this deck a few times and you'll immediately want a 4th doombringer kha and a 4th sabretooth. Or you might decide excruciate is much better than heart's whisper and upgrade that way.

What makes me sad is how much of the cost of the deck comes from resources. If there were no rare resources, then I would include stuff like scribe of the flayed man and voice of d'endrrah or maybe scour the archives. But in a 3 color deck I think remnants are mandatory to having a good time playing the game.

Champion: Blue Sparrow

Troops
      3x Killblade of the Milkyeye
      4x Briny Ray
      2x Blightwood Cyclops
      3x Doombringer Kha
      3x Primordial Sabretooth
      2x Fangstorm

Spells

3x Return to Cinder
      4x Theorize
      2x Heart's Whisper
      4x Jouncing Carnage
      2x Excruciate
      4x Mordrom's Gift

Resources

2x Blood Ice
      2x Blood Shard
      4x Remnant of Hatred
      4x Remnant of Innovation
      4x Root of Cunning
      4x Root of Innovation
      2x Ruby Ice
      2x Sapphire Ice

Reserves

1x Return to Cinder
      4x Verdict of the Ancient Kings
      4x Whip Crack
      3x Blight
      2x Heart's Whisper
      1x Robogoyle

The post was edited 3 times, last by slaynslayn ().

• SR Elementals sponsored by the Iron Inquisition:

Decktech including upgrade and reserves plan: hexvestris.wordpress.com/2018/…-deck-tech-sr-elementals/

Most of the deck is very thematic and features the downfall of the cult of lumos into what know is a wretched organization led by the Iron Maiden and hunts down relentlessly the last candlekin and stern believers.

Whip Crack is one of my favourite cards in the current format and this deck it also does exactly what the Inquisition did lore wise, it beats candles. Which is one of the major achievements a budget deck should be capable of in times like these. Another thing that should never be underestimated is a turn 3 4/4 body, like the conjured candleghast at times where you need to pack void removal for 3/2 statted troops.

This deck is also way below the budget that was the target and shows of one our beloved factions in the current conflict I will try to add more decks displaying the other factions later.

What sleeve fits the deck best? Well have you played merry melee? Have you played it enough? If not get your corinth sleeves now as that is what this deck needs!

• RW Mad Pile:

>>Decktech upcoming<< hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=331215

This deck is a thematic RW Gnoll deck featuring the rabid and gladiator mechanic to display what the pack can do. Also this deck brought me to cosmic, so I think it qualifies for all the prerequisites and all that for a cheap price of 8$.

In general this is a typical RW Aggro deck with some removal to fight against other aggressive decks or to clear blockers. Plenty of aggressive 2 and 3 drops with anthem effects and Dogpile as well as Pack Frenzy to top the curve.

Again this deck is below budget being purchasable for a small amount of 9$ at auctionhouse prices.

It is bad against troopless controldecks, but those are built to beat aggro so that is fine.

As an existing sleeve I would recommend the locke of the pack collector deck sleeve but I would prefer Mad Doggin.

Something wrong mate?

Images
      • The Pack Winrate.png

114.24 kB, 845×774, viewed 148 times
    • vestris wrote:

RW Mad Pile:

This deck is a thematic RW Gnoll deck featuring the rabid and gladiator mechanic to display what the pack can do. Also this deck brought me to cosmic, so I think it qualifies for all the prerequisites and all that for a cheap price of 8$.

In general this is a typical RW Aggro deck with some removal to fight against other aggressive decks or to clear blockers. Plenty of aggressive 2 and 3 drops with anthem effects and Dogpile as well as Pack Frenzy to top the curve.

Again this deck is below budget being purchasable for a small amount of 9$ at auctionhouse prices.

It is bad against troopless controldecks, but those are built to beat aggro so that is fine.

As an existing sleeve I would recommend the locke of the pack collector deck sleeve but I would prefer Mad Doggin.

Something wrong mate?

Let me help you make that deck both cheaper and better right away replace enter the ring with runic rampage.
    • Yeah Enter the ring is not really a card that I want in there. A 4th Mad Doggin would also be good the other one is something I would like to replace with a troop.

Wolzarg wrote:

vestris wrote:

RW Mad Pile:

Something wrong mate?

Let me help you make that deck both cheaper and better right away replace enter the ring with runic rampage.
    • Inspired from the recent Rhiannon aggro lists:

ASSUMING the higher cost cards will be true with your price point (some are more expensive atm)

decklist:

Champion: Rhiannon

4x remnant of hatred (600p)
      2x heart of agony (300p)
      4x shard of hatred
      5x blood shard
      8x ruby shard

4x flare imp
      4x replippoper (600p)
      4x flare fiend
      4x zomboyz (600p)
      2x boltwing phoenix (800p)
      3x refuel
      4x blightbark burster
      4x thought collector
      4x corpse lily
      4x noxious turn

Reserves:

3x disruptor drone
      3x jousting carnage
      3x arcing rust
      3x monsagi deadeye
      1x refuel
      2x blight

600p + 300p + 600p + 600p + 800p = 2900p according to the budget in the OP, and just within the target.

This would fit the bill as a tuned, competetive deck with the side boards giving various removal options that aggro would need for various matchups. I tried making a more budget version of Rhiannon out there with resources to make it consistent according to your pricing. Given how similar decks have made it to the 4-0 in bash, this deck could be a highly competetive budget deck for new players if put up on the store.
    • Updated OP with decklists.

@vestris has earned 1k plat for his efforts.
      @slaynslayn Do you have the deck to playtest with and let me know what the results are like?
      @Airtron Zomboyz is 150p on the AH, so your deck is well in budget - Let me know if you can get a record of your match history with 50%+ winrate across 15+ matches in Gold+ tier and I'll send you 500p

Come on folks, I know there are a lot of great deckbuilders in the community. Surely we can look at building a few more different archetypes?
    • So, my initial idea was to make a Rhiannon deck that gave some love to Bella, everyone's favourite Familiar. It's ended up somewhat similar to Vestris' Elemental deck, though :D Here's my list:

7 Ruby Shard
      7 Sapphire Shard
      4 Root of Innovation
      3 Ruby Ice
      3 Sapphire Ice

2 Prison of the Mind
      2 Runebind
      4 Flare Imp
      2 Runic Candescence
      4 Briny Ray
      4 Whip Crack
      4 Quenchinator ( Major Ruby of Pyromancy)
      4 Unhenge
      2 Cerulean Grand Invoker
      2 Excruciate
      4 Conjured Candleghast
      2 Runic Avalanche

Reserves:

3 Return to Cinder
      3 Burning Ire
      3 Confounding Ire
      4 Verdict of the Ancient Kings
      2 Robogoyle

Based on PvPTools the cost is 2768 plat, it's 1954 plat based on TCG Browser, and based on 150 plat per rare it's 1800 plat.

Current winrate on ladder is 90% (9 wins from 10 matches), so it will be at least 50% when I get to 15 :D hexpvptools.net/constructed/la…d5-606d-32dd-80506d1726fc

Sleeve has to be Bella Invoker's Familiar.

So, the basic idea is to get several troops out, hopefully including a Familiar, so that Rhiannon gives you a big attack turn. Turning to card choices:
      Prison of the Mind locks the enemy down when you go for your big swing, and can also buy time to set up. Using it to make sure Bella hits the opponent to find an action is also good. And it's a potentially 0 cost spell if you just need to pump the Invoker one bigger.
      Runebind serves several purposes. It can remove a blocker, similar to Prison. It can be a catch all answer to any scary card. It can also be used on your own Invoker to spawn a second pet - we're running a full set of Roots to trigger our runes when we want to.
      Flare Imp is an aggressive troop, a Familiar for Rhiannon, and an Elemental for Unhenge. Beat face!
      Candescence makes an Elemental for Unhenge, and two troops for Rhiannon. It's also an action, so Bella can find it, and it's two actions in one, so with the Root or a Ray swing it has a decent chance to give Invoker +2/+2 in one turn. Against several people I've used it to catch opponents out by playing it turn three, then cycling a root during their turn so I can block and kill a 2 defence troop that they thought was safe (ate a Wise Magistrate and a Mightsinger of Ages this way!).
      Briny Ray is probably the cornerstone of the deck (and the reason I call it Rhiannon's Rays). Speed and flight make for a nice beater from turn two. It's an Elemental and a Familiar. It puts our Candleghast into play turn three. It draws cards once the hand is empty. It can trigger runes by drawing into shards. All around a card you never side out!
      Whip Crack clears up cheap opposing troops, as well as providing a little face damage and a way to get out Candleghast. Quick actions in general are good for pumping Invoker.
      Quenchy with the Blaze Elemental gem does a lot of damage, and moving his gem onto any other troop is sweet. Also has the Unhenge synergy. It's just a shame the Blaze Elementals come out after Rhiannon...
      Unhenge is very often a 1 cost interrupt here. Stopping scary opposing troops is always nice; sometimes it's worth playing slightly behind curve to keep Unhenge up.
      Invoker provides two troops in one, great for Rhiannon, and the Familiar is a Familiar. Using Rhiannon to give Bella crush often means she gets to hit and draw an action, even if she dies.
      Excruciate I often use as a quick draw two, that later in the game can also get out Candleghast. In a pinch, you can use it as removal for a scary card, like Annihilix.
      Candleghast is sweet when you cheat it into play off one of our looters. Whip Crack it into play at quick speed is also nice!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Showsni ().