Merry-Melee-Corinth why are cards such as Subtle and Frost Wizard even allowed in this mode to begin with

• The stakes are already pretty low but there does need to be something there I think. The biggest problem with removing stakes is people will concede early and all the fun close games stop happening. The number of games I have had where it was very close or I was praying for a sweeper for a couple turns to get me back in the game were the most fun and they likely go if there is no skin in the game.

I have been enjoying them and played more Hex this weekend than the last 2 months combined almost. Look sometimes the game goes all one way but in the majority of cases choices feel meaningful and thats about the best you can hope for. Also even if its incorrect I will always go wild first - wild stuff is just the most fun.
    • Having played a few times, I decided I like the mode, but I think the following changes should be considered:

1) Due to the draw system of Corinth, going first is a strict advantage. I would like to see some small balancing mechanic to help offset that. For example, an extra 3 or 4 health to the player going second.

2) I think shards should be restricted from Corinth's draw pool. There are very few shards that add any sort of dynamic to this game mode, so shards should not be an option to be generated from the charge power.

3) Disabling Mulligans to encourage a diversity of games. Seems like the trend right now is to mulligan repeatedly until you get blood or ruby shards for your first shard. Since there is no effective penalty for mulliganing, I would either like to see mulliganing disabled, or adding some sort of alternate penalty (Like lose 1 health per mulligan, etc).
    • There are a couple of other things that I'd also change:
      1) When cards get shuffled back into your deck as part of Corinth's end-of-turn power, revert them. This has multiple uses: Cards that had one-shot powers get picked up as if they were new again when they get redrawn, and cards affected by opposing nerfs get denerfed. I've lost more than one game to a "Gore of the mountain God" reducing all my creatures to 0/0 so they're pointless.
      2) Cards that void other cards are overly powerful in this format, you not only remove the card in question, you remove the chance for the player to draw that card ever again. See Chalice of Horvath if you want a single card game winner. Your deck gets bigger, your opponents gets smaller. Suggestion: Corinth's end-of-turn power also shuffles the cards in your void back into your deck.

So far this game mode is extremely frustrating, pulling cards you can't possibly play for 5-6 turns in turn 1. In turn 10, pulling 1 and 2 cost cards. All the game-mode breaking cards still being offered.
    • I tested this format by playing Corinth in Campaign a bit. This mode is incredibly fun! Now I really, really hope we get to play against friends eventually. I won with a goddamn Trial of Faith into Corners of the World! I made a bunch of angels, which got bigger every turn. When do you ever get to do such insane things regularly? By the way, I kid you not, Trial of Faith might be a bomb in this format. I am pretty sure I would have won against a human as well, unless they got a very aggro start. Think about it, it also voids the excess shards from your hand, and in the worst case scenario, you are drawing 4/4 fliers continuously in the late game. At least I'm pretty sure it's not unplayable. I love this format. :)
    • I won a game against Replipopper 4000 and Shamrock with Citadel of Adamanth... now that was insane!

but generally the mode needs some tweaking to make it less frustrating than fun. Void or steal effects are extreme if drawn early. Randomly generated shards are a bane.

in one game against a turn 1 Righteous Waxshot, turn 2 other strong creature my fist choice was rare shard/rare shard/Tectonic Megahulk, then on turn 2 Immortal Tears/9cost card/rare shard ... yeah, fuuun!

Corinth in campaign is different, as neither you or your opponent plays directly anti-Corinth cards. I've seen more than a single game decided by a lone copy of Subsume... or in one case, I won a game with Call the Grave...
    • If I got to decide, yeah, I would probably remove the possibility of generating shards, but I would actually keep every other card in the pool. Even the currently banned ones. The key is to make the mode free, so you can just laugh at the absurdly OP cards and combos your opponent plays. What do I care if my friend bashes me in the head in a casual format? FUN.
    • Ertzi wrote:

If I got to decide, yeah, I would probably remove the possibility of generating shards, but I would actually keep every other card in the pool. Even the currently banned ones. The key is to make the mode free, so you can just laugh at the absurdly OP cards and combos your opponent plays. What do I care if my friend bashes me in the head in a casual format? FUN.
      Yeah, if it would be free or gold entry then I would agree with you. But for 100 plat...
    • Ertzi wrote:

If I got to decide, yeah, I would probably remove the possibility of generating shards, but I would actually keep every other card in the pool. Even the currently banned ones. The key is to make the mode free, so you can just laugh at the absurdly OP cards and combos your opponent plays. What do I care if my friend bashes me in the head in a casual format? FUN.
      This is pretty much my entire issue when you force me to play it competitively the format has massive glaring flaws and lots of them. As a fun format those are all things you can just write off as part of the format and laugh at the absurdity of them.

Me and 5 friends played 6 man momir vig on magic online and we almost died of laughter when two players in a row auto lost to summoning phage the untouchable. This includes both the players that lost to the rng.